Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2468750

Subject: "Starbucks serves alcohol now?" Previous topic | Next topic
gusto
Charter member
26878 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 02:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Starbucks serves alcohol now?"

nah but good for him if he can do it.

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150727/SPORTS/150729380
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2533420-former-nba-all-star-vin-baker-working-to-become-manager-of-starbucks-coffee-shop

A four-time NBA All-Star and Olympic gold-medal winner (2000), Baker ended his professional basketball career with the Los Angeles Clippers after the 2005-06 season.

Since then, he's battled alcoholism and financial missteps, gotten sober and become a pastor. His latest move, as McNamara reports, is setting a course toward becoming the full-time manager of a Starbucks in North Kingstown, Rhode Island.

"I love North Kingstown," Baker told McNamara. "It reminds me of my hometown, so it's comfortable. I like this community. Starbucks draws a lot of repeat customers, and so many know me now."

Baker is currently working behind the counter as a barista and learning the ropes of the business at an operational level. It's not the most traditional gig for a guy who earned $100 million playing basketball at the highest level, but he says it's part of his overall plan for personal redemption:

When you learn lessons in life, no matter what level you're at financially, the important part to realize is it could happen. I was an alcoholic, I lost a fortune. I had great talent and lost it. For the people on the outside looking in, they're like 'Wow.' For me, I'm 43 and I have four kids. I have to pick up the pieces. I'm a father. I'm a minister in my father's church. I have to take the story and show that you can bounce back. If I use my notoriety in the right way, most people will appreciate this guy is just trying to bounce back in his life.

Baker credits his opportunity at Starbucks to company CEO Howard Schultz, who owned the Seattle SuperSonics during his four-season stretch on the team from 1997-2002.

As for basketball, nowadays Baker is still trying to catch on with an NBA team in a coaching capacity. Until he gets that call, however, he's minding the roast and slowly taking over the caffeine cartel.

Get that money, Vin, and remember: He who controls the coffee controls the world

..|.,

If you still don't know what Jade Typhoon is, click here:
http://jadetyphoon.blogspot.com/ (WS)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
:(
Jul 29th 2015
I played pickup in North Kingstown a few weeks ago
Jul 29th 2015
One of my favorite players around that time
Jul 29th 2015
Team Jordan
Jul 29th 2015

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32090 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 09:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. ":("
In response to Reply # 0

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 09:54 AM

2. "I played pickup in North Kingstown a few weeks ago"
In response to Reply # 0

It was me, my boy who lives in Narragansett and a bunch of 50 year old white dudes who almost certainly have drinking problems. I'm dispatching my boy to Starbucks right now to see if he can get Vin to run with them.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 10:28 AM

3. "One of my favorite players around that time"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm glad he's pulling his life together.

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 01:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Team Jordan"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2468750 Previous topic | Next topic