Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2461264

Subject: "Kobe Bryant: Titles >>> Friends" Previous topic | Next topic
melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 09:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Kobe Bryant: Titles >>> Friends"
Tue Jun-30-15 09:06 AM by melmag

Kobe: Friends can come and go, but banners hang forever

Earlier this year, Kobe Bryant said “being a great friend is something I will never be.” The Los Angeles Lakers star guard explained that comment at an event Saturday by saying, “I meant that friends can come and go, but banners hang forever.”

Bryant, a five-time NBA champion, made his remarks during an interview with ESPN's Jemele Hill at the BET Experience at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles.

The question posed by Hill alluded to Bryant’s comments in a GQ magazine piece published in March 2015.

“It’s crazy, right?” Bryant said Saturday of his mindset. “It’s like, ‘This dude is nuts.’ But when you grow up, I loved the game so much. It wasn’t on purpose to be a bad friend or not to be as good of a friend. It takes time to do that. It takes a lot of energy to do that.

“Consciously, all my energy was focused on one thing. It’s like, friends, I have friends that have known me since I was 11. They know that that’s how I am. But nine times out of 10, that’s how they are too. Because they’re as driven at what they do as what I am. It works out.”

Hill asked Bryant what he has learned from strained relationships with teammates over his 19-year NBA career.

“Don’t be an a--h---,” Bryant said with a laugh. “No, I mean, I’ve never been the most patient person in the world, and one of my pet peeves is laziness or people who make excuses. I can’t stand it. Working with Shaq, the guy, he’s a freak of nature. He’s mean when he plays, which I relate to.

“But there are other parts that I just didn’t relate to. So there are certain things that were strengths of his, like putting his arm around the guys and helping them be better emotionally and giving them support. I wasn’t very good at that.

“But my strengths were my focus and my dedication to the game. I had to sit back and say, ‘We have these disagreements, but what can I learn from him? What does he do well?’ And once I was able to look in the mirror and say, 'OK, maybe you are being an a--h---?' You’ve got to self-assess. All this stuff ain’t coming from . It’s not just made up. So once I learned that, I think we were able to go to a higher level as a team.”

Did Bryant un-learn how to be, as he put it, an “a-hole”?

"There’s two ways to do that,” he said. “One, you can stop. Or two, you can just be extremely consistent, and then the people will get used to it. So when I said, 'I stopped being an a--h---,' what I’m really saying is people just got used to me being an a--h---. Then it was like, ‘OK, that’s just him.’”

"There's certain players that I've made cry. If I can make you cry by being sarcastic, then I really don't want to play with you in the playoffs."
Kobe Bryant

Bryant then recounted a memorable interaction with a former Lakers teammate.

“Honestly, I remember Rick Fox said something in a meeting that stuck with me forever,” Bryant said. “Because we were having a discussion and he said, ‘Kobe, we just want to feel like you’re a part of us.’ And I never looked at it that way. I thought, ‘What do you mean? I am. I’m practicing hard every single day.’

“But that’s not what he meant. For me, stop being an a--h--- really meant you’ve got to start approaching the game on a human level and understand that we are people and we need to have that connection versus this hard drive all the time. Because no matter how skillful you are, it’s an emotional game. If you don’t have that emotional connectivity with somebody or with a group, you’re not going to get at your highest level of potential.”

Bryant said he’s still close with several of his former teammates, such as Lamar Odom, Derek Fisher, Ronny Turiaf and Shannon Brown.

“Now, to them, if you ask them, they’ll sit here and say, ‘No, he’s not an a--ho---,’” Bryant said. “But if you go to some of the other guys who show up to practice an hour later. You know what I’m saying? You know them. They’re easily identifiable. Those guys will say, ‘Yeah, he’s a big a--h---.’”

He added, “Your job is to imprint a DNA on a team. You have to push buttons. The trick is figuring out when to push them and how to push them. You’ve got to do that.”

What's the worst thing Bryant ever said to a teammate?

“Oh, Jesus, let me think,” he said with a laugh. “I’m not sure if the fact that I’m thinking about the worst things that I’ve said really means that I haven’t said that many, or maybe I’ve said too many. I’m scrolling through them . I’m like on iPod shuffle.

“I have made somebody cry before.”

Who?

“There are certain players that I’ve made cry,” Bryant said. “If I can make you cry by being sarcastic, then I really don’t want to play with you in the playoffs if that’s making you cry.

“But let me see. There was one teammate that was just so bad. He was so bad. It wasn’t Kwame . Kwame wasn’t actually that bad. I tease Kwame. It wasn’t Smush . It was a player that you guys won’t even remember if I said who his name was. I can’t even pronounce his name. It was some European kid.

“But he was really, really bad. I said, ‘Dude, you might want to reconsider what your life purpose is. Maybe it’s not this.’ It came out that way. I was like, maybe 20-something years old, I don’t know, really young.

“You know how you think one thing in your head, like, ‘I’m going to say this, and it’s going to sound like this.’ Then it comes out and it’s like, ‘Oh, s---. That’s not what it sounds like.' That is not how I envisioned it coming out. No, I meant, maybe you’re not reaching your highest potential by doing this. Maybe it’s something else.”

Bryant was asked to explain where the perception that he is difficult to play alongside, a well-documented perception that has reportedly deterred several free agents from coming to play for the Lakers, first developed.

“From people that want to take the easy route with stuff,” Bryant said. “You want to come? You want to play and play your heart out and compete and win? We’ll have no issues. It’s the people that ... say these things and the people that don’t show up to practice and the people that don’t want to work hard and the people that aren’t committed to it. We will never have anything in common. We just won’t. I’m completely fine with that. I’m completely OK with that. We can’t converse.”

Bryant also said growing up in Italy influenced not only his playing style but also his relationships with people.

“It shaped a lot,” he said. “In that situation, you wind up being in isolation a lot, so you have a lot of time to think. I gravitated to basketball even more because of the lack of common ground that I had with friends over there. So I wound up playing the game a lot by myself, imagining and dreaming and envisioning.

“But also, on the flip side of that, it makes you play things closer to the chest. Which is why I’m more comfortable shooting the ball off the double-team than passing to somebody in the corner for a game winner. No joke. Because you grow up really relying on yourself. So I had to learn, no, it’s OK to work with others. But when you grow up in isolation, especially in pressure moments, you always kind of go back to your nature.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/41673/kobe-friends-can-come-and-go-but-banners-hang-forever

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Medvedenko?
Jun 30th 2015
Kobe's asshole-ness is well documented. MJ,while more respected,was also
Jun 30th 2015
Other than Bird, I don't think losing really bothers those guys
Jun 30th 2015
you're crazy, Magic hated losing, behind that smile he was just as...
Jun 30th 2015
      i'm putting magic in the category of older dudes i can't speak
Jun 30th 2015
I heard more about Wilt being an asshole off the court
Jun 30th 2015
I think Kobe being an asshole has more to do w/who he is a person
Jun 30th 2015
      All the greats have some asshole in them, the difference between Lebron....
Jun 30th 2015
           You might call that being an 'asshole,' I think it has more to do w/Bron
Jun 30th 2015
           yelling at chalmers made him a great teammate? What about
Jun 30th 2015
                handshakes tho.
Jun 30th 2015
                This is a good point.
Jun 30th 2015
                haha right.. Bron learned you gotta be a asshole sometimes to win
Jul 02nd 2015
           RE: All the greats have some asshole in them, the difference between Leb...
Jul 01st 2015
                Tim's just low-key about his, you don't think he's ever cussed out...
Jul 02nd 2015
                     RE: Tim's just low-key about his, you don't think he's ever cussed out.....
Jul 03rd 2015
so many quotables.
Jun 30th 2015
My roommate saw the Kobe documentary and thought...
Jul 01st 2015
Ain't no Asperger's, he just Kobe
Jul 01st 2015
Sociopath
Jul 02nd 2015
Interesting, cuz I've long thought MJ has Aspergers.
Jul 03rd 2015
Honestly, old Kobe is kind of an embarrassment
Jul 02nd 2015
pretty much.
Jul 02nd 2015
he old. None of this counts.
Jul 02nd 2015
The whole thing was a narcissist's attempt to be self-deprecating
Jul 03rd 2015
I thought this said titties > friends at first glance smh
Jul 02nd 2015
lol thought it was just me.
Jul 02nd 2015
Hell it might have. There was an edit lol
Jul 02nd 2015
Yo, I gotta know what happened between Bean & Smush
Jul 02nd 2015
Over/under on Kobe having 5 friends
Jul 03rd 2015
Easily over... Let's see...
Jul 03rd 2015
      ....you're joking, of course?
Jul 03rd 2015
      lolz!!!
Jul 03rd 2015

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 09:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Medvedenko?"
In response to Reply # 0

>“I have made somebody cry before.”
>
>Who?
>
>“There are certain players that I’ve made cry,” Bryant
>said. “If I can make you cry by being sarcastic, then I
>really don’t want to play with you in the playoffs if
>that’s making you cry.
>
>“But let me see. There was one teammate that was just so
>bad. He was so bad. It wasn’t Kwame . Kwame wasn’t
>actually that bad. I tease Kwame. It wasn’t Smush .
>It was a player that you guys won’t even remember if I said
>who his name was. I can’t even pronounce his name. It was
>some European kid.
>
>“But he was really, really bad. I said, ‘Dude, you might
>want to reconsider what your life purpose is. Maybe it’s not
>this.’ It came out that way. I was like, maybe 20-something
>years old, I don’t know, really young.
>

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 09:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Kobe's asshole-ness is well documented. MJ,while more respected,was also"
In response to Reply # 0

an asshole.

but what about the other greats?

Wilt
Russell
Magic
Kareem
Bird
Lebron
Shaq

how many of them were assholes anywhere near the Kobe/MJ level?

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 09:44 AM

3. "Other than Bird, I don't think losing really bothers those guys"
In response to Reply # 2

like it would Kobe/MJ. I can't really speak on the older dudes but I think Lebron/Shaq would get over a loss much quicker than Kobe and MJ. Especially Shaq

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:47 PM

6. "you're crazy, Magic hated losing, behind that smile he was just as..."
In response to Reply # 3

ruthless as MJ or Kobe.

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 01:50 PM

7. "i'm putting magic in the category of older dudes i can't speak"
In response to Reply # 6

on.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 12:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I heard more about Wilt being an asshole off the court"
In response to Reply # 2

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:02 PM

8. "I think Kobe being an asshole has more to do w/who he is a person"
In response to Reply # 2

and less to do w/him hating to lose...

MJ had that rep in college and coming into the league as being an ultra competitive person

It seems like every athletic attribute that we've associated w/MJ ppl project those same attributes onto Bean - Unlike MJ and even Zeke, who I've seen their will to win on more than one occasion and were known as task masters because of their desire to win, there aren't any instances that you can point to to make the claim Kobe is more competitive than anyone else...he's really more of an asshole

And FTR you don't have to be an asshole to win titles - hardly any of the other all-time greats had a rep as being assholes...especially to their teammates...which is why I say to an extent a lot of Kobe's rep is more affectation because he wanted to mimick everything abt MJ

>an asshole.
>
>but what about the other greats?
>
>Wilt
>Russell
>Magic
>Kareem
>Bird
>Lebron
>Shaq
>
>how many of them were assholes anywhere near the Kobe/MJ
>level?

grassrootsphilosopher

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:05 PM

9. "All the greats have some asshole in them, the difference between Lebron...."
In response to Reply # 8

now and Lebron when he was in Cleveland before and that first season in Miami is he learned how to be an asshole and say fuck people's feelings.

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:27 PM

10. "You might call that being an 'asshole,' I think it has more to do w/Bron"
In response to Reply # 9

maturing and being in a different place in his career

For the most part, he's known to be a great teammate

It's like Bean WANTS ppl to perceive him as an asshole because it somehow makes him seem more driven to win (Jordan started that bs)

>now and Lebron when he was in Cleveland before and that first
>season in Miami is he learned how to be an asshole and say
>fuck people's feelings.

grassrootsphilosopher

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:40 PM

11. "yelling at chalmers made him a great teammate? What about"
In response to Reply # 10

totally ignoring and disregarding the coach? Or subtweeting love? Seems more asshole to me

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 02:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "handshakes tho."
In response to Reply # 11

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 07:52 PM

13. "This is a good point."

Maybe the evolution was in his demeanor as well.

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 08:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "haha right.. Bron learned you gotta be a asshole sometimes to win"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 01:55 PM

15. "RE: All the greats have some asshole in them, the difference between Leb..."
In response to Reply # 9

Duncan

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 09:12 AM

21. "Tim's just low-key about his, you don't think he's ever cussed out..."
In response to Reply # 15

Manu or TP when their playing like some hoes?

If he hasn't he's not the "great leader" people make him out to be.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Fri Jul-03-15 01:47 AM

29. "RE: Tim's just low-key about his, you don't think he's ever cussed out....."
In response to Reply # 21

Talk about moving goalposts. I thought we were talking about being an asshole a la Kobe, Jordan, Bird type-shit.

I'm sure 50% of the NBA has cussed out teammates at some point in time.

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

Cenario
59181 posts
Tue Jun-30-15 09:44 AM

4. "so many quotables."
In response to Reply # 0

knew smush's name would find its way in there.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 01:44 PM

14. "My roommate saw the Kobe documentary and thought..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-01-15 01:44 PM by obsidianchrysalis

that he has a mild case of Aspergers.

She's not a psychologist, but the fact that he keeps to himself, is highly obsessive, driven, has a high-aptitude for his craft and also doesn't have a consistent ability to read social cues.

Or he just doesn't care and is simply a prick.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 02:48 PM

16. "Ain't no Asperger's, he just Kobe"
In response to Reply # 14

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 09:59 PM

26. "Sociopath "
In response to Reply # 16

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Jul-03-15 07:51 AM

31. "Interesting, cuz I've long thought MJ has Aspergers."
In response to Reply # 14
Fri Jul-03-15 07:53 AM by Jon

So its interesting to see other ppl making similar observations.

As for Kobe, I think he just wants to be MJ lol

But maybe both of them got it. I could see that.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 12:47 AM

17. "Honestly, old Kobe is kind of an embarrassment"
In response to Reply # 0

The LMA thing kinda seals it

LMA was his last chance at ever being relevant and he
pissed it away

Now he ends his career as a gunning, hobbling disaster

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 08:36 AM

19. "pretty much."
In response to Reply # 17

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 08:14 PM

25. "he old. None of this counts."

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Jul-03-15 04:59 AM

30. "The whole thing was a narcissist's attempt to be self-deprecating"

You have to love how if you have any sort of disagreement with him, it's because you're lazy and don't want to win. Yes, we see the winners flocking to learn from him in his farewell tour.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

guru0509
Charter member
45356 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 03:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "I thought this said titties > friends at first glance smh"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Cenario
59181 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 08:36 AM

20. "lol thought it was just me."
In response to Reply # 18

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 08:08 PM

24. "Hell it might have. There was an edit lol"
In response to Reply # 18

csuave03
Member since May 20th 2007
3067 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 07:07 PM

22. "Yo, I gotta know what happened between Bean & Smush"
In response to Reply # 0

this bball rivalry is totally random and hilarious.

“I tell Steve, you won MVP but I was playing with Smush Parker” is still my favorite NBA quote.

They had him out there playing with Smush Parker LOL

This ain't normal 'I don't f*ck with you' talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94bNyh6BBB0

Smush still salty too

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Fri Jul-03-15 12:58 AM

27. "Over/under on Kobe having 5 friends "
In response to Reply # 0

gotta take the under, right?

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Fri Jul-03-15 01:44 AM

28. "Easily over... Let's see..."
In response to Reply # 27

Feel
His trainer
Mitch?
His wife?
His kids?
Shaq
Pau
Derek Fisher plus others

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Fri Jul-03-15 02:03 PM

32. "....you're joking, of course?"
In response to Reply # 28

>Feel
>Mitch?
>His wife?
>Shaq
>Pau

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Fri Jul-03-15 02:17 PM

33. "lolz!!!"
In response to Reply # 28

>Feel
>His trainer
>Mitch?
>His wife?
>His kids?
>Shaq
>Pau
>Derek Fisher plus others

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2461264 Previous topic | Next topic