Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2457747

Subject: "NBA Champion Golden State Warriors off-season post" Previous topic | Next topic
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Wed Jun-17-15 03:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"NBA Champion Golden State Warriors off-season post"

Still basking in the afterglow. Still can't believe this has happened. Still can't wrap my head around the fact that the Dubs are the Champs.

But even though we can and will celebrate (trying to find a way to get Friday off to check the parade), a little speculation about next season can't hurt.

This team likely won't be as deep next year. The doesn't mean we can't be better, we just won't be as deep. Lee is pretty clearly gone. I thought he was a free agent, but apparently he's still under contract next season. It looks like they're going to trade him to get some salary space. The money is being used to re-sign Draymond for likely as much money as will be allowed. Barbosa, who was key for us late in the season, is also an unrestricted free agent. He didn't cost much, but he gave good minutes, speed, and experience. He didn't make that much, so we don't going that cap relief with him gone.

Otherwise, we'll have a lot of the same personnel. Speights will be in the final year of his contract, but I imagine we don't try to trade him or anything. We have a first round draft pick, but it probably gets us a relatively green Euro player. The long-term focus will be keeping what will be the young core together: Curry, Klay, Draymond, Barnes, and probably Ezeli. A growing salary cap will make that easier to accomplish. Which we'll need, because Curry is soon going to be due for one of those $25 to $30 million super-contracts.

The road repeating is going to be tough. OKC will be better. New Orleans will be better. Houston will be back. Clippers will be back. Memphis will be back. The Clippers will be back. The Spurs will find a way not to be old and be back. But I like our chances.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
no mention of the Finals MVP? Klay's contract is looking kinda Joe...
Jun 17th 2015
Iggy's got two more years. I know he's part of next year's team
Jun 17th 2015
      this just let's you know how strong agendas are
Sep 15th 2015
      Hopefully Klay learns from that playoff experience
Oct 13th 2015
I think the Warriors are in a good spot
Jun 17th 2015
Looney would fit perfect as a big man in the small lineup
Jun 26th 2015
I was excited to get Looney at 30
Jun 26th 2015
How significant is losing Gentry to the Pels?
Jun 27th 2015
They'll be fine. The promoted internally as well, so there's continuity.
Sep 15th 2015
Dubs hire Steve Nash as a consultant/part-time assistant coach
Sep 15th 2015
wow that's a good look for curry and the dubs.
Sep 15th 2015
So the Dubs offered a four-year, $64 million deal to Barnes...
Sep 21st 2015
shit, if KD went to the Warriors, that almost wouldn't be right
Sep 21st 2015
      I don't think it's going to happen. If Durant goes anywhere, it'll be to...
Sep 21st 2015
UCSF giving up the fight... looks like the SF arena is gonna happen
Oct 07th 2015
It's official. The Warriors buy the 12-acre land plot
Oct 13th 2015

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jun-17-15 04:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "no mention of the Finals MVP? Klay's contract is looking kinda Joe..."
In response to Reply # 0

Johnson-ish right about now, still on the hook for 2 more years of Bogut, Draymond's gonna cost, is Harrison really considered part of the "core"?

mrhood75
44719 posts
Wed Jun-17-15 04:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Iggy's got two more years. I know he's part of next year's team"
In response to Reply # 1

Klay is going to be fine. People are getting cute and trying to throw their shots in after he had a bad Finals, but he's young and getting better. And is still the second best player on the team.

Barnes is very much part of the young core. I imagine he'll keep getting better as well. He's not going to be a max money player, but they'll give him his second contract when they need to.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 02:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "this just let's you know how strong agendas are"
In response to Reply # 2

Klay is 25 and got a ring and been an all-star...yet people still throwing shots.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 01:05 PM

16. "Hopefully Klay learns from that playoff experience "
In response to Reply # 2

As you said, he's still young and still learning.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Tek4mula
Member since Nov 11th 2008
1451 posts
Wed Jun-17-15 09:02 PM

3. "I think the Warriors are in a good spot"
In response to Reply # 0

Bringing all the main guys back except Lee, just hope we can find a way to move him without sending out our 2015 pick but I'm doubtful. The only other guy who got minutes in the play-offs who could be gone is Barbosa because we could only offer barely over the minimum but I honestly don't think there are going to be many teams trying to pay him much more than that and I think he likes it here.

There won't be any room to add players as I think even if they can move Lee without taking anybody back any contracts the team will probably still be over the luxury tax line or just below it. With the trophy in the building we might be able to snag some decent veteran "ring chasers" for minimum money but not sure that will move the needle much.

I think the two biggest ways the team can improve for next season are going to be internal improvement from our youngsters and better flow in the offense in Year 2 under Kerr. I think Klay, Green, Barnes, Ezeli are all still improving their games in the NBA and each have distinct areas they can improve. All of those dudes are super hard-workers who are still on the upswing. And as far as fine-tuning the offense, I just look at how much the Atlanta Hawks improved between Year 1 and Year 2 under coach Budz. There is so much going on in the Spurs style motion offense with cuts and counters and reads the more you can keep continuity with players and system the better execution you can get.

I am still trying to wrap my head around having a Championship in Oakland but it's looking like a good time to be a Warriors fan as long as Curry, Klay, and Green are all locked up.

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Fri Jun-26-15 01:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Looney would fit perfect as a big man in the small lineup"
In response to Reply # 0

really glad he ended up with you guys

Tek4mula
Member since Nov 11th 2008
1451 posts
Fri Jun-26-15 07:27 PM

5. "I was excited to get Looney at 30"
In response to Reply # 4

Hopefully we keep him, but if we do I think he's in a great spot to chill for a year, get healthy and work on his conditioning and strength while learning the Warriors system down in Santa Cruz then be ready to take Mo Speights spot in '16-'17.

Warriors needed a guy who could rebound and bring some shot-blocking, that Looney can shoot a little bit and has potential for more offense is just bonus.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sat Jun-27-15 12:22 AM

6. "How significant is losing Gentry to the Pels?"
In response to Reply # 0

mrhood75
44719 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 02:18 PM

8. "They'll be fine. The promoted internally as well, so there's continuity."
In response to Reply # 6

-----------------

www.albumism.com

mrhood75
44719 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 02:17 PM

7. "Dubs hire Steve Nash as a consultant/part-time assistant coach"
In response to Reply # 0

He'll work with the players in Oakland, but won't travel with the team.

The hiring makes a lot of sense.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/report-steve-nash-finalizing-deal-join-warriors-consultant

Steve Nash finalizing deal to join Warriors staff

By Monte Poole

After a two-decade absence, retired NBA point guard Steve Nash is on the brink of returning to the Bay Area.

The Santa Clara University product will be joining the Warriors as a part-time assistant on the staff led by head coach Steve Kerr, league sources confirmed to CSNBayArea.com on Tuesday.

Though the deal is not finalized, Nash in his role will spend time working with players on the Warriors but not always traveling with the team.

Such a move, first reported by ESPN’s Marc Stein, makes perfect sense.

Kerr did not make an outside staff hire after associate head coach Alvin Gentry left in June to become head coach of the New Orleans Pelicans. Kerr instead promoted assistants Luke Walton and Jarron Collins. Nash, 41, would seem an ideal addition.

Kerr has been around the NBA for more than a quarter century and insists he’s never met anyone more devoted to the game than Nash, who was a member of the Suns when Kerr was the general manager in Phoenix from 2007-2010.

Furthermore, Warriors star Stephen Curry often cites Nash as one of the major influences on his style of play as a point guard.

"He's a guy that I looked up to heavily when I was in college and studied a lot going into my NBA career," Curry said back in October, after learning that Nash would miss the entire 2014-15 season. "There are a lot of similarities in how we play the game. But he changed a lot about the way the point guard position is played. And, obviously, with two MVPs, he got it done after not really being known coming out of college."

Nash, 41, announced his retirement in May. Though he grew up in Canada, he spent four years at Santa Clara before being selected 15th overall by Phoenix in the 1996 NBA draft.

Nash, a member of the Lakers when he retired, had most recently taken on the role of tutor for Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson.

At Curry's MVP press conference on May 4, Kerr explained how Curry and Nash are similar and different.

“He’s (Curry) a little different from Steve in that he really sees the game first as a shooter and as a flamethrower,” Kerr said. “Steve saw the game first as a passer and a playmaker, but the similarity is that each one has both the playmaking skills and the shooting skills. They can use one to enhance the other, and vice versa.

“But, in terms of the physical stature, to be able to win the MVP at 6-3, 185 pounds like Steph and Steve have both done – Steve set the tone, and allowed for this to happen for Steph.”

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue Sep-15-15 02:29 PM

9. "wow that's a good look for curry and the dubs."
In response to Reply # 7

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

mrhood75
44719 posts
Mon Sep-21-15 04:52 PM

11. "So the Dubs offered a four-year, $64 million deal to Barnes..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-21-15 04:52 PM by mrhood75

And he turned it down. I had hoped it was because Barnes was looking for a fifth year, but the reports is that he wants more the $16 million a year. Myers has about six weeks to work something out before Barnes can become a restricted free agent.

I'm hoping we can work something out before the deadline. I think they would keep Barnes no matter if he became a restricted free agent, but it's a little weird after he's said most of the off-season that he wants to stay with the Dubs and isn't interested in testing the waters.

I dunno, maybe he thinks he can have a huge contract year and then benefit from the cap rising. Or Barnes, just like everyone else, has heard the rumors that the Dubs might go after Durant, and he knows it's a lot easier for them to make Barnes part of a potential deal if he's already signed to the team.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Mon Sep-21-15 05:18 PM

12. "shit, if KD went to the Warriors, that almost wouldn't be right"
In response to Reply # 11

this year is going to be amazing in the WC

mrhood75
44719 posts
Mon Sep-21-15 05:23 PM

13. "I don't think it's going to happen. If Durant goes anywhere, it'll be to..."
In response to Reply # 12

But IF the Warriors are going to make a move, they'd have to include Barnes. And we'd need to have him under contract to make it happen.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 04:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "UCSF giving up the fight... looks like the SF arena is gonna happen"
In response to Reply # 0

disgusting.

LOL @ trying to manage traffic in an already shit-show of overcrowdness thanks to tech bubble 2.0

http://www.sfexaminer.com/ucsf-endorses-warriors-arena-in-mission-bay-after-sf-promises-to-manage-traffic/

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2015/10/golden-state-warriors-arena-mission-bay-ucsf.html

mrhood75
44719 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 12:58 PM

15. "It's official. The Warriors buy the 12-acre land plot"
In response to Reply # 14

This is some lame-ass shit.

I bet that IF we win another chip between now and 2018, they'll find a way to hold the parade in SF. Shit's infuriating.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2457747 Previous topic | Next topic