Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2449648

Subject: "Ruben Amaro: Not only do we suck, but our fans are stupid, too *swipe*" Previous topic | Next topic
KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Tue May-26-15 02:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Ruben Amaro: Not only do we suck, but our fans are stupid, too *swipe*"

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2015-05-26/ruben-amaro-phillies-fans-dont-understand-game

This should smooth things over between Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. and the team's easily irritated and ever-impatient fan base.

In addition to keeping quiet about a long list of trade possibilities involving veterans, Amaro also remains adamant about not rushing prospects who could replace those veterans.

“I think we’re going to be conservative,” he said (via CSNPhilly.com).

Moreover, he doesn't care that that won't sit well with fans who are enduring a 19-28 start after last season's 73-89 disappointment.

“They don’t understand the game,” Amaro said. "They don’t understand the process. There’s a process. And then they bitch and complain because we don’t have a plan. There’s a plan in place and we’re sticking with the plan."

Fans, however, want to see the Phillies be aggressive with their prospects.

Case in point: a pair of 21-year-old pitching prospects at Double-A Reading, Aaron Nola (6-3, 1.87 ERA) and Zach Eflin (4-3, 2.28).

While it’s not out of the question that certainly Eflin — and maybe Nola, too — could earn a big-league look later this season, Amaro says neither will be hurried to the majors. That's not exactly good news for fans of a team whose starting pitchers' ERA is 4.32, 13th among the 15 NL teams.

"We can’t do what’s best for the fan," Amaro said. "We have to do what’s best for the organization so the fan can reap the benefit of it later on. That’s the truth.”

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I dont think using the phrase 'bitch and complain' was very smart
May 26th 2015
RE: a long list of trade possibilities
May 26th 2015
It's not a coincidence, but that's also Gillick's reputation
May 26th 2015
Gillick aint exactly Billy Beane either
May 26th 2015
TRUST THE PROCESS
May 26th 2015
damn
May 26th 2015
He been should've been fired...
May 26th 2015
Amaro sucks, but not for this
May 26th 2015
oh, I agree, but yeah...
May 26th 2015
He's been told...
May 26th 2015
      This:
May 26th 2015
      Indeed it is
May 26th 2015
Amaro trying to piggyback off Hinkie-Dinky-Dawg buzzwords & buzz?!? FOH.
May 26th 2015
love that guy.
May 26th 2015
Is he wrong tho..... NO
May 26th 2015
yet, here you are...since 2006
May 26th 2015
      Never was a Phillies or Flyers fan rooted for the
May 26th 2015

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue May-26-15 02:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I dont think using the phrase 'bitch and complain' was very smart"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-26-15 02:33 PM by ConcreteCharlie

I am starting to wonder if this guy even cares about keeping his job or if he just had some severe dirt on the ownership that makes him bullet proof.

I think he *easily* could have just said something tactful like "We value our prospects and having a winning future just as much as any fan does, and we want to make sure that the timing is right, that these guys are successful in the long term. We can't be hasty and rush anyone, especially pitchers, who are so finely tuned physically and mentally in this league."

But noooooooo, he had to go antagonizing the people who butter his bread. Fuck him.

Even in his more tempered comment, he makes it a case of "we know better than you." That's an accomplishment, because he is speaking to the mutual interest of the management and the fan, yet somehow making it out to sound like the fan has one goal and the organization has another, the latter being preferable. This guy is such a bum, we wouldn't be in this position if he didn't make every obviously overpriced signing under the sun and gut the farm system in the first place.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue May-26-15 02:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: a long list of trade possibilities"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-26-15 02:46 PM by bentagain

I feel like that's all that Reuben has EVER done

listen to trade offers for talent that Gillick acquired a decade ago

PHI's downward trend directly correlates to Reuben becoming GM

coincidence?

we shall see, especially considering Gillick is back.

aren't these one and the same?

what’s best for the fan and what’s best for the organization

= winning

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Tue May-26-15 02:49 PM

3. "It's not a coincidence, but that's also Gillick's reputation"
In response to Reply # 2

His book as a GM has always been that he makes stunning short-term moves to turn contenders into... even better contenders. And then gets out while the getting is good because those moves weren't particularly interested in building a strong future.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:27 PM

6. "Gillick aint exactly Billy Beane either"
In response to Reply # 2

Amaro basically took Gillick's strategy to its unnatural and unwise end. He is doing the same thing, he is just much worse at it.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue May-26-15 02:59 PM

4. "TRUST THE PROCESS"
In response to Reply # 0

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59129 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:02 PM

5. "damn"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

gmltheone
Member since Jun 11th 2003
8564 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:32 PM

7. "He been should've been fired..."
In response to Reply # 0

We're bitching and moaning because the team has been getting appreciably worse year after year. Waited too late with all his trade worthy players.

What he should addressed was why his crown jewel bullpen ace hasn't pitched in a week.

----------------------------
Same as it ever was!

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:33 PM

8. "Amaro sucks, but not for this"
In response to Reply # 0

there is absolutely no reason to rush guys through the majors when you have no hope of contending. like someone above said, rubes delivered the message with his trademark complete lack of respect for the fans/PR, but the message itself is absolutely right.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "oh, I agree, but yeah..."
In response to Reply # 8

same way the Mets didn't rush Thor up from the minors, and aren't rushing Matz. It makes sense to wait. But the delivery is completely tone deaf.

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

gmltheone
Member since Jun 11th 2003
8564 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:58 PM

11. "He's been told..."
In response to Reply # 8

>there is absolutely no reason to rush guys through the majors
>when you have no hope of contending. like someone above said,
>rubes delivered the message with his trademark complete lack
>of respect for the fans/PR, but the message itself is
>absolutely right.

doing guest spots all day everywhere trying to clean up some of the mess now.

Those calling for the prospects to come up are in the small minority. They don't have any real prospects above Reading. Last time I heard Phillipe Aumont was getting his nuke laloosh on breaking the Iron Pigs walk and wild pitch record in the same game.

The real issue was he's wasted two seasons trying to tweak/fine tune a shot roster and was smug about it.
----------------------------
Same as it ever was!

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue May-26-15 04:15 PM

12. "This: "
In response to Reply # 11

>The real issue was he's wasted two seasons trying to
>tweak/fine tune a shot roster and was smug about it.

He was just warring with Missanelli less than 7-8 months ago acting like this same roster filled with overpriced old guys that he re-signed when he didn't need to were still going to contend.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue May-26-15 06:06 PM

16. "Indeed it is"
In response to Reply # 11

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:54 PM

10. "Amaro trying to piggyback off Hinkie-Dinky-Dawg buzzwords & buzz?!? FOH."
In response to Reply # 0

It's way too late to try putting that toothpaste back in the tube, Rube.

This is a man who knows absolutely nothing about things like rebuilding or actually making moves for value.

He inherited a title team and an open checkbook, did nothing with either except spend money on the biggest available names each deadline while making lots of terrible decisions and overrating the farm system while trading legit pieces for guys who never got past double-A.

I don't really care what he says anymore because deep down I know he's not really running things on the baseball side since Montgomery got sick and Gillick came back.

The Phillies likely aren't going to figure all this shit out until things settle amongst the ownership group, Gillick re-retreats and they go get a new guy to run baseball operations.

So for now if Ruben wants to step out there and take the bullets and give fans that still care enough to be angry a boogeyman to blame, so be it.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Tue May-26-15 04:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "love that guy."
In response to Reply # 0

--------

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Tue May-26-15 04:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Is he wrong tho..... NO"
In response to Reply # 0

The dumbest loudest and most arrogant outside of Boston and might I add racist?

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue May-26-15 05:00 PM

15. "yet, here you are...since 2006"
In response to Reply # 14

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Tue May-26-15 07:36 PM

17. "Never was a Phillies or Flyers fan rooted for the"
In response to Reply # 15

Eagles and Sixers

No longer an Eagles fan.

I renounced my Philly fandom years ago. I can't encourage, embrace, nor justify the stupidity and belligernce I have seen.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2449648 Previous topic | Next topic