Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2426805

Subject: "Cashman: Jeter should be the last Yankee Captain" Previous topic | Next topic
Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cashman: Jeter should be the last Yankee Captain"

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/12428167/derek-jeter-last-new-york-yankees-captain-brian-cashman-says

Earlier in the day, Cashman had said on ESPN New York Radio 98.7 FM that he did not see a viable candidate in the Yankees' clubhouse to succeed Jeter as the 16th captain in team history, a list that includes Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Thurman Munson and Don Mattingly.

"And that's not disrespectful of any of the guys I have here that have a lot of leadership,'' Cashman said. "As far as I'm concerned, and I'm not the decision-maker on this, that captaincy should be retired with No. 2. I wouldn't give up another captain title to anybody else.''

----

Can the blowing of Jeter stop please?? He isn't on the team anymore. No need to further boost his ego.

IMO, he wasn't even a good captain. He selectively supported teammates based on personal feelings (had Giambi and Petitte's back on the PED issue, threw Rodriguez under the bus) Picking and choosing which teammates you support is not being a good leader or captain. Acting like Jeter was the greatest Yankee ever, or even the greatest Yankee captain ever, or acting like no one could ever do better than Jeter as captain, is simply ridiculous.

FOHWTBS

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah I always got the feeling that him and A-rod hated each other
Mar 07th 2015
I always liked that the Yankee Captain thing wasn't automatic
Mar 07th 2015
Somehow, they're a corporate monolith that still conveys integrity
Mar 07th 2015
FOH. I guess no one but Ronan Tynan should sing God Bless America
Mar 07th 2015
This roster isn't even interesting enough to have a funny non-candidate
Mar 08th 2015

Billy Ray Valentine
Member since Jul 08th 2005
675 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 08:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yeah I always got the feeling that him and A-rod hated each other"
In response to Reply # 0

"when I was growin' up if we wanted a jacuzzi we had to fart in the tub!"

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I always liked that the Yankee Captain thing wasn't automatic"
In response to Reply # 0

Like there were years with no captain. They didn't need to force it and give it to Steve Sax in 1989 or something. It's a gimmick, but they seems to have some measure of discretion with it.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18387 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 09:03 AM

3. "Somehow, they're a corporate monolith that still conveys integrity "
In response to Reply # 0

And, strangely, that oxymoron really does work. I buy into the whole thing - the pinstripes, the haircuts, the no names on jerseys, etc - and I've also paid $16 for an import beer at Yankees stadium.

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 08:48 PM

4. "FOH. I guess no one but Ronan Tynan should sing God Bless America"
In response to Reply # 0

How many gift baskets has Cashman received from "Cap"?

------------------
One Hundred.

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Sun Mar-08-15 11:05 AM

5. "This roster isn't even interesting enough to have a funny non-candidate"
In response to Reply # 0

Good lord have they fucked themselves. Delightful.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2426805 Previous topic | Next topic