Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2426780

Subject: "MLS 2015: one more year + we can legally get in the club!" Previous topic | Next topic
celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 09:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"MLS 2015: one more year + we can legally get in the club!"

Happy 20th birthday MLS!!

Such a long road to get here, still so many challenges ahead. I'm proud to see you've finally outgrown Chivas USA, are able to leave such childish things behind. As gifts we got you Orlando City and 'offspring company' NYCFC, cool new sets that come complete with their own David Villa and Kaka (we'll get you Frank Lampard in time, too, but that's on layaway right now...). We've moved the warm blanket of Landon Donovan to the attic, as well, because while we know you love it, that thing definitely has had enough. We decided to go with an extra big party for your 20th, too, so we hope you're as excited as we are to the guest list includes names such as Giovinco, Kljestan, Mix, Jozy, Gerrard (RSVP pending), Xavi (need to check we sent invite to the right address). Punch bowl is near the new dance floor in San Jose, let's get started!

Overall I'm fantastically relieved the owners thawed and moved a little in the player's direction, a strike would have been disastrous for both sides. I'm beyond excited for this season (even if it looks to be a bumpy road to start for the Timbers). I will be sticking new implements of pain into my Ossi Alonso voodoo doll every day. And having regular, EVERY Sunday afternoon soccer on ESPN is going to be so awesome (bye bye NFL, I won't need your weekend distraction this year).

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
quick + dirty 'my favorite character on each team' guide for 2015:
Mar 06th 2015
Will Trapp is great!
Mar 07th 2015
Jesus Christ- you guys ended up with Ridgewell?
Mar 09th 2015
      yup, taking pregame selfies with random bros in downtown Lake Oswego
Mar 09th 2015
           He was an OK-ish left back at Villa
Mar 09th 2015
glad they didn't strike
Mar 06th 2015
Jesse Marsch is no slouch; he got a raw deal in Montreal
Mar 06th 2015
oh yeah and UniMas with the English simulcasts
Mar 06th 2015
aaaaand it doesn't seem to work
Mar 06th 2015
      huh, I had English audio on MLS Live (it was ... pretty bad ...)
Mar 07th 2015
           The league's been around for 20 years
Mar 09th 2015
                John Strong is that dude, but he can only do one game a week
Mar 09th 2015
                     I've warmed to Alexi.
Mar 09th 2015
the VANvTOR is a real showcase of what's so fun about MLS
Mar 07th 2015
if Jozy can keep getting that kind of service
Mar 07th 2015
im assuming Man City New York is already the most hated team
Mar 08th 2015
New Man City has done lots wrong to become villains
Mar 08th 2015
we'll see when they play at home
Mar 09th 2015
Sounders tho.
Mar 09th 2015
Expansion announcement coming in the next month?
Mar 12th 2015
Soccer Don said during opening wkend announcement would be in 45-60 days
Mar 12th 2015
      Yeah, they already told Vegas to go kick rocks
Mar 12th 2015
SI says Minnesota is IN! (link)
Mar 13th 2015
Only thing that concerns me is the stadium plan
Mar 13th 2015
      Official tissue, still no concrete stadium plan
Mar 25th 2015
           Yeah, he's never done that before...
Mar 26th 2015
                it's the same with NYCFC, hence throwback-to-MLS-'00s Yankee Stadium
Mar 26th 2015
                The moment Jacoby Ellsbury blows out his knee running down a flyball
Mar 26th 2015
                     the good news is it looks like Orlando was a great choice for MLS
Mar 26th 2015
                True, but this is different
Mar 26th 2015
yo this Yankee Stadium game looking bootleg as hell
Mar 15th 2015
well if David Villa is gonna do that...
Mar 15th 2015
cmon, JJ's absence doesn't help explain all these wasted chances
Mar 15th 2015
I mean, could be three for NE easy...
Mar 15th 2015
bootleg doesnt begin to describe it lol.
Mar 15th 2015
      David Villa and Frank Lampard about to play a whole season there
Mar 15th 2015
           was at the game
Mar 16th 2015
                Yeah, the atmosphere seemed pretty live
Mar 16th 2015
                     NYCFC should have gotten some Wigan alums
Mar 16th 2015
sounders tho :(
Mar 15th 2015
WHO GUESSED BRAD EVANS MIGHT STRUGGLE AT CB??!!
Mar 15th 2015
      it was hilarisad.
Mar 16th 2015
           *dead*
Mar 25th 2015
props to Montreal Impact for making the CCL final
Apr 08th 2015
Montreal were CCL champs ... for 45 minutes
Apr 29th 2015
Giovinco is pretty good
Jul 13th 2015
It's a shame that he still won't get any looks for the Azzuri though
Jul 13th 2015
Lampard + Gerrard should both debut this week, Gio Dos Santos on his way
Jul 13th 2015
Atomic Ant already sewn up MVP, GOAT DP title in his sights
Jul 18th 2015
Ridgewell should be an All-Star, Pablo hatin'
Jul 18th 2015
LA Galaxy look crazy on paper.
Jul 20th 2015
and Sebastian Lletget has been great this year too
Jul 21st 2015
Jul 21st 2015
dead last in the league at the moment
Jul 21st 2015
Impact sign Drogba via sign-trade w Chicago for Gilberto
Jul 27th 2015
last year they miss on JJ, this year they whiff on Drogba
Jul 27th 2015
      if they came away with nothing i'd agree
Jul 28th 2015
           I dunno, I'm not convinced Gilberto is better than say Quincy Amirikwa
Jul 28th 2015
                not sure i'd even bother comparing Gilberto with Amirikwa
Jul 28th 2015
Anyone check out this oral history of the league's founding on SI?
Jul 29th 2015
this article is amazing, totally deserves a 30 for 30 at some point
Jul 29th 2015
Right?
Jul 30th 2015
this is the greatest article on MLS i've ever seen
Jul 30th 2015
big Sunday coming up for the league
Aug 07th 2015
good Sunday for MLS -- these were better than the EPL games I watched
Aug 10th 2015
the mls youtube channel is off the chains
Sep 07th 2015
the app is pretty good too
Sep 08th 2015
top 20 MLS jersey sales
Oct 22nd 2015
ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY RED BULLS!!!
Oct 25th 2015
Sebastian Giovinco wins Golden Boot
Oct 25th 2015
Holy shit...what a game.
Oct 30th 2015
Best MLS game ever!?
Oct 30th 2015
      I've worked far too many Sounders games to count but jeah
Oct 30th 2015
           that game had everything
Oct 30th 2015
Cyle Larin is Rookie of the Year
Nov 10th 2015
Luis Robles is Goalkeeper of the year
Nov 19th 2015
the postseason layoff is fucking terrible, pumped for this wkend tho
Nov 20th 2015
i would love single game playoffs
Nov 23rd 2015
Sebastian Giovinco named MLS Newcomer of the Year
Nov 23rd 2015
Jesse Marsch wins 2015 MLS Coach of the Year
Nov 24th 2015
Sebastian Giovinco is MVP
Dec 02nd 2015
shout out to the Timbers
Dec 07th 2015
Congrats and No Pity, Cel!
Dec 07th 2015
PARADE! in downtown today, can't wait to see the turnout
Dec 08th 2015

celery77
25307 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 10:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "quick + dirty 'my favorite character on each team' guide for 2015:"
In response to Reply # 0

---Western Conference---

COLORADO RAPIDS: In an early game last year, DeShorn Brown earned a PK when Donovan Ricketts pulled a flying kung-fu kick to his abs in the penalty box. Brown got up and was hardly phased, Ricketts was never right for the rest of the year. With abs like that, don't let your wife catch any Colorado goal-scoring celebrations this year.

HOUSTON DYNAMO: yo SPM, you know Run DMB is still here, right? Get back at your man's side, Houston is going to be in a dog fight in the West this year.

LA GALAXY: Robbie Keane, I'mma let you finish, but Juninho has been the most under-rated member of this recent LA dynasty. And Juninho is now talking about becoming an American citizen so he can play for the USMNT? For all the shit I may talk about LA, it does have a certain power.

FC DALLAS: Have you, too, ever wondered what Fabian Castillo's parents look like? I wonder this often.

PORTLAND TIMBERS: It's always Diego Chara. Am I fascinated with Darlington Nagbe? Yes. Am I fascinated with Liam Ridgewell? Yes. But it's ALWAYS Diego Chara. g/f was walking downtown and ended up walking alongside Chara for a few blocks this week. It was one of the most starstruck moments of her life. She said he was walking with a couple other guys, presumably Timbers, but all she could do is stare at Chara. Also said he came up to about her shoulder, maybe a little lower. I'm just relieved she escaped with her purse in hand and ankles intact. Diego Chara v. Steven Gerrard is fucking appointment TV y'all, stop sleeping.

REAL SALT LAKE: Luis Gil. If you don't know, ask somebody.

SJ EARTHQUAKES: It's the stadium. Beyond the stadium, it's Big Vic Bernardez, crazy Honduran in the back line who for some reason thinks he can play the ball like Yaya. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt...

SEATTLE SOUNDERS: I will be -- like most of Seattle I imagine -- checking for regular updates on Ossi Alonso's groin and yes I'm aware how that sounds.

SPORTING KANSAS CITY: Dom Dwyer wifed up Sydney LeRoux so let's all take careful notes every time he's on the field in the hopes we can replicate some of that success for ourselves.

VANCOUVER WHITECAPS: Kendall Waston, absolute hulk of a centerback from Honduras, the murder capitol of the world. Which, and I don't know the story behind this at all, at least to me seems like it might explain in part how "Watson" came to be spelled wrong. The murder thing definitely seems to explain how he plays.

---Eastern Conference---

CHICAGO FIRE: I think it's Harry Shipp? Everything about the Fire is boring -- stadium, coach, style of play. Sorry. Oh wait, Quincy Amirikwa is good with social media, tho...

COLUMBUS CREW: Jurgen Klinsmann is an idiot and called Wil Trapp into the USMNT camp and proceeded to play him as a wide midfielder. Feel free to catch a Columbus game any time this year to see why that's so maddeningly wrong.

DC UNITED: Eddie Johnson always and forever. Go kick rocks Perry Kitchen (I imagine that's the sort of thing you'd think is fun, anyway).

MONTREAL IMPACT: Dilly Duka's name isn't just fun to say, he's actually a very bright American attacking prospect. He's been one of these 'promise' guys for a long time, would love to see it start to blossom.

NE REVOLUTION: Move over Jermaine Jones, Juan Aguedelo is back in town!

NYCFC: No duh it's Mix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KllI1hgZT04&feature=iv&src_vid=zqO1fcU5hk4&annotation_id=annotation_89205111
His dad might bust your kneecaps if you owe him money, too, being investigated by Norwegian authorities as such. He should fit right in NYC.

NY RED BULLS: Honestly, who's on this team these days? Even Armando is gone. Conspiracy theorists, the Don just might be rigging this market for NYCFC -- get cooking.

ORLANDO CITY: There's probably a good answer besides Kaka, but it doesn't matter. Kaka is going to EMBARRASS people in MLS and I can't wait to see it.

PHILADELPHIA UNION: Mo Edu is a king of kings and Philly I expect to see game recognize game. Dude needs to be a Brotherly icon.

HOPE!

Scott Baio
Member since May 22nd 2002
193 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 08:28 PM

8. "Will Trapp is great!"
In response to Reply # 1

>COLUMBUS CREW: Jurgen Klinsmann is an idiot and called Wil
>Trapp into the USMNT camp and proceeded to play him as a wide
>midfielder. Feel free to catch a Columbus game any time this
>year to see why that's so maddeningly wrong.

WIll trapp is a very hard working defending Midfielder... who happens to have a very accurate pass rating....

I really do Love Joni!

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18728 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 12:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Jesus Christ- you guys ended up with Ridgewell?"
In response to Reply # 1

oof. enjoy THAT.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

celery77
25307 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 01:16 PM

15. "yup, taking pregame selfies with random bros in downtown Lake Oswego"
In response to Reply # 13

It's the best. He's fantastic. I guess he spent time as a fullback in England? He's playing CB for Portland and serious he's great -- clean with the ball, big personality organizing the back, pretty decent athlete. Honestly, he's easily earned his DP tag so far.

HOPE!

magilla vanilla
18728 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 02:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "He was an OK-ish left back at Villa"
In response to Reply # 15

Then he went crosstown and was pretty suspect at Birmingham City. Had a half of a resurgence at West Brom as a center back. Great to see that he's gotten out of the West Midlands, I guess?

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 11:31 AM

2. "glad they didn't strike"
In response to Reply # 0

it would have been a travesty to waste all these new players coming into the league, new stadium, new TV deal, etc.

as for my Red Bulls ... i was over the Petke firing once i saw the town hall. i was actually embarassed at how some of the fans acted (and continue to act in some cases). in the end, it's not nearly that serious. support your club and keep it moving. if i can keep being a Yankees and Knicks fan (Giants FO is awesome in my book) i think i can live with the Red Bulls.

looking forward to seeing BWP go to work. i like that we were able to get Kljestan and not have to use a DP slot. curious as always to see if we actually get 2 more DP's this summer.

celery77
25307 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 02:40 PM

4. "Jesse Marsch is no slouch; he got a raw deal in Montreal"
In response to Reply # 2

Firing Petke seems odd, but then again if you know you like Marsch and you know you're going to take the roster in a new direction post-Henry, there's no real benefit to taking a 'wait + see' on Petke. Act as soon as you know what your real decision is.

Not that different than what happens in Portland with Spencer's firing, which by the way looks very shrewd by management in hindsight, bit yeah the fan base + FO *still* have scars from the interim period where the team readjusted to the new regime.

HOPE!

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 11:35 AM

3. "oh yeah and UniMas with the English simulcasts"
In response to Reply # 0

i know everyone loves to say the Spanish commentators have more "passion" or whatever and that's cool but i no hablo el español, like at all. it was a struggle for me the couple times i tried watching the Spanish language games. i really appreciate them doing that.

now if they only did that for some Liga MX games, i might watch those.

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 11:22 PM

5. "aaaaand it doesn't seem to work"
In response to Reply # 3

that sucks

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 12:12 AM

6. "huh, I had English audio on MLS Live (it was ... pretty bad ...)"
In response to Reply # 5

I tried switching back to the Spanish, but somehow on the website the Spanish was like 10 seconds behind the video, so couldn't do that. The English broadcast let you follow along, catch names, get details, but jeez it was sooooo bad, and I watch a lot of local MLS broadcasts ... this would probably be on the low end of that, too.

Anyway, Galaxy bodied the shit out of the Fire. I was expecting that. Gonna wake up like a kid on xmas tomorrow...

HOPE!

magilla vanilla
18728 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 12:15 PM

12. "The league's been around for 20 years"
In response to Reply # 6

how hard is it to get a sportscaster that knows the rules and rhythm of the game well enough to chime in when needed, pay them enough so they don't end up JP Dellacameraing themselves into every "niche" sport there is, and rolling with them. Or at least paying Ray Hudson enough to weigh in from his Orlando broom closet?

celery77
25307 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 01:19 PM

16. "John Strong is that dude, but he can only do one game a week"
In response to Reply # 12

He got the Sunday nightcap in Seattle this week, but sadly they've saddled him with Alexi Lalas as a partner. He came up working local Timbers games with Robbie Earle, this broadcasts were nice.

HOPE!

magilla vanilla
18728 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 02:46 PM

18. "I've warmed to Alexi."
In response to Reply # 16

His loud-and-wrong ratio is nowhere NEAR the level of Wynalda, who's an epic tour-de-force of douche.

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 07:04 PM

7. "the VANvTOR is a real showcase of what's so fun about MLS"
In response to Reply # 0

unashamedly direct, with world class speed and one Chilean dude who can spray Beckham-esque long balls in Vancouver, then Toronto who are trying to play a tight, controlled game through all their high-priced attackers, but struggle due to a totally crap backline. Oh it's also a coastal Canadian rivalry.

So much fun ... previous games been meh, but that Giovinco to Jozy goal only bodes good things for the USMNT. Like FUCK Sunderland y'all, why do we all still bow down to a country that has a fucking monarchy?

HOPE!

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 10:00 PM

9. "if Jozy can keep getting that kind of service"
In response to Reply # 7

....watch out.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Sun Mar-08-15 04:33 PM

10. "im assuming Man City New York is already the most hated team"
In response to Reply # 0

just on general principle.

also i'm gonna try to follow the MLS and DC United again this year. which means im gonna be watching highlights on the app a lot cause i don't have cable.

do they ever do a free preview for mls live like there is for NBA League Pass? i'd like to try it.

<--- Big Baller World Order

celery77
25307 posts
Sun Mar-08-15 06:18 PM

11. "New Man City has done lots wrong to become villains"
In response to Reply # 10

there was a small rumbling about them being just an offshoot, but most people were pretty wait and see. Then they extended the Lampard loan into July, after extensive promises he'd be there opening day, and after that all gloves were off. They've tried to manufacture supporter's groups, have done some weird anthem marketing, get clowned the whole way. But they have Mix and Kreis and Okugo and Villa and they're all respected, so it's really just a lukewarm feeling.

And I dunno about free previews. Last year they were doing a "stream of the week" every weekend, where one game was free every week, but now they have two games on cable (ESPN2 and FS1) every Sunday, so I dunno of the free stream will continue.

HOPE!

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 08:05 PM

19. "we'll see when they play at home"
In response to Reply # 10

Orlando already sonned them in turnout and tv ratings.

PROMO
Charter member
30822 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 12:23 PM

14. "Sounders tho."
In response to Reply # 0

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Mar-12-15 08:12 AM

20. "Expansion announcement coming in the next month?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like Minnesota United is the favorite to land the next spot. Really hope there's actually a plan for how to get the stadium built coming too (they've certainly got enough money behind it to privately fund most/all of it.)

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

celery77
25307 posts
Thu Mar-12-15 12:38 PM

21. "Soccer Don said during opening wkend announcement would be in 45-60 days"
In response to Reply # 20

there's four markets they've keyed in on, although I can't recall them all right now. Personally, I'll be surprised if Sacramento is not one of them, but if they can't get a deal in place for a downtown stadium, they're likely out. It's the same thing in Miami -- Don has apparently said they didn't expect David Beckham to exercise his ownership option so soon -- if Becks gets his stadium lined up, it's all his, but without a stadium it seems like the league will move forward regardless. I feel like San Antonio is another one? Three teams in Texas, when two of them don't draw in stadium that great, doesn't make sense to me... I'm pretty sure Las Vegas is just out.

But you're probably hearing local media closer to the source. If they're giving strong indications, they might be getting strong word from MLS.

HOPE!

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Mar-12-15 12:53 PM

22. "Yeah, they already told Vegas to go kick rocks"
In response to Reply # 21

I've been trying to follow this and I've got no clue what's happening with Miami. They've already had two stadium deals fall apart, and I'm not sure how long their leash is going to be. I know they want 24 teams by 2019 and they won't hold their breath for Miami to get it done forever. But maybe Orlando drawing 60k fans to the Citrus Bowl will spur them into action?

Sacto sounds like they've got a lot going for them, I'm kind of hoping MLS pulls Miami and makes Beckham and Co sell to Sacramento's group. They've got a passionate fanbase ready to go right now. I can't imagine Sacramento was high on Garber's list of expansion cities a few years ago, but they basically forced him to consider them by how active they've been organizing.

Here's an updated swipe from the Star Tribune, it looks like the big thing is that the Vikings ownership group (who also bid to get a MN MLS team in the new Vikes stadium) is out of the running. But the united bis isn't exactly a done deal yet, but it's a good sign.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/296080511.html

The prospective ownership group headed by Bill McGuire has received a letter from Major League Soccer notifying them that they are the preferred group for a potential Minnesota franchise, according to a person with knowledge of the letter.

McGuire has been competing with the Wilf family, owners of the Vikings, for a MLS expansion team that is likely to begin play in 2018. McGuire’s group includes the Pohlad family, owners of the Twins, and Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor.

McGuire, the former CEO of UnitedHealth Group who owns Minnesota United FC, a professional team in the lesser North American Soccer League, has plans to build an outdoor stadium behind Target Field in an area currently used to house the Farmer’s Market. The Wilfs’ MLS bid was based on playing in the new $1 billion football stadium set to open in 2017.

MLS spokesman Dan Courtemanche said Thursday morning the league would not confirm the existence of a letter of support for McGuire, saying it did not comment on “private conversations.”

However Courtemanche said an MLS announcement on adding a 24th team is expected soon. “We remain on track to announce the next MLS expansion market in the next 30-45 days,” he said in an email.

Minnesota and Sacramento are the two cities in the running for that bid. Miami, which is owned by former star David Beckham, still hasn’t secured a stadium, potentially leaving Minnesota, Sacramento and Miami for two remaining franchises.

Minnesota is considered the front-runner for a franchise because MLS Commissioner Don Garber has said he wants a Midwestern city to balance the league, and has praised the Twin Cities demographics.

McGuire will need to fulfill several obligations spelled out in the letter, the most important being securing a solid stadium plan, according to the person with knowledge of the letter. The group of McGuire, the Pohlad family and Taylor, who also owns the Star Tribune, has an option on land in the Farmer’s Market area that would be a potential home for an outdoor stadium, the person said.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

celery77
25307 posts
Fri Mar-13-15 03:57 PM

23. "SI says Minnesota is IN! (link)"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-13-15 03:58 PM by celery77

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/03/13/mls-expansion-minnesota-united-vikings-sacramento

HOPE!

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Mar-13-15 04:42 PM

24. "Only thing that concerns me is the stadium plan"
In response to Reply # 23

As of right now, we've got an idea of where it is (a good, centrally located area of downtown in the vicinity of an MLB stadium and an NBA arena) and that it will be open-air, with natural grass.

As a soccer fan and a taxpayer, I really hope this is going to be privately funded. Both because publicly funded stadiums are an awful idea and because there's zero chance that the state is going to kick in any money after forking over half a billion plus to the Vikings. Maybe they could secure funding from either Hennepin County or the city of Minneapolis, but that might not be any easier. I really think if they come in asking for a taxpayer handout, they're going to get told off.

I'm slightly optimistic it won't come to that. There's an insane amount of net worth behind the ownership group, and they could certainly afford to keep it entirely privately funded. But all of this is speculation for now, because they haven't announced any concrete stadium details.

------

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 12:50 PM

37. "Official tissue, still no concrete stadium plan"
In response to Reply # 24

I can't believe Garber and them would give Minnesota a franchise without a plan for a stadium in place, which indicates it is likely to be privately funded. Because public financing is going to be difficult for them to come by.

------

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 08:58 AM

39. "Yeah, he's never done that before..."
In response to Reply # 37

https://nbcprosoccertalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/de64e26f993a6b2c1e1dec0e4a91e343.jpg

celery77
25307 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 09:15 AM

40. "it's the same with NYCFC, hence throwback-to-MLS-'00s Yankee Stadium"
In response to Reply # 39

HOPE!

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 09:23 AM

41. "The moment Jacoby Ellsbury blows out his knee running down a flyball"
In response to Reply # 40

and the Bronx and NYC dumbass media blames it on NYCFC, I will experience a level of double schadenfreude like never before.

celery77
25307 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 09:26 AM

42. "the good news is it looks like Orlando was a great choice for MLS"
In response to Reply # 41

but again, that followed the model of a prospecting investor establishing a lower division club first, getting to know the market for a few years, then kicking off in MLS. So in that regard, I will remain hopeful about Minnesota, because they still have a few years to ramp up and get situated. It's these big money partners buying a seat at the table with no real grasp on the SOCCER market that make me nervous.

HOPE!

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 10:57 AM

43. "True, but this is different"
In response to Reply # 39

McGuire already has a stadium site (and importantly, owns the land it's going to be built on.)

The only possible sticking point is going to be public funding (if they go that route.) The state has already said it's not happening and they're not going to have more luck with the city. They'd have to go through the county, and that's not necesarrily a sure thing (though the chair of the Hennepin County Board said he's nsupportive of building a stadium.)

And that's if they ask for public funding. I really, REALLY hope they're not going to be so dumb as to try and get a mostly publicly built stadium when the willpower does not exist for one. I can't imagine they would, but owners of sports teams have been known to do stupid things.

Miami has yet to even choose a stadium site that's workable, despite having a head start on both Minnesota and Sacramento. But I guess they had to let Beckham exercise his option.

------

celery77
25307 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 04:16 PM

25. "yo this Yankee Stadium game looking bootleg as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

takes some doing to make the Red Bulls look first class, but NYCFC achieved just that.

HOPE!

celery77
25307 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 04:34 PM

27. "well if David Villa is gonna do that..."
In response to Reply # 25

and if Sebastien Velasquez doesn't end up as a John Starks-esque NYC icon, there is no hope for soccer in the Big Apple.

HOPE!

celery77
25307 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 04:42 PM

29. "cmon, JJ's absence doesn't help explain all these wasted chances"

HOPE!

celery77
25307 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 04:55 PM

32. "I mean, could be three for NE easy..."
In response to Reply # 29

HOPE!

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 04:43 PM

30. "bootleg doesnt begin to describe it lol."

how did this ever get past the idea stage to an actual game.

celery77
25307 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 04:50 PM

31. "David Villa and Frank Lampard about to play a whole season there"
In response to Reply # 30

they can't get the new soccer stadium built fast enough

HOPE!

DonKnutts
Charter member
27064 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 12:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
34. "was at the game"
In response to Reply # 31

Atmosphere was good

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 12:39 PM

35. "Yeah, the atmosphere seemed pretty live"
In response to Reply # 34

But is that going to be the case in July? How is that field going to survive an MLB season and an MLS season? RFK looked pretty worn down back when United and the Nats both played there for a couple years.

------

magilla vanilla
18728 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 01:17 PM

36. "NYCFC should have gotten some Wigan alums"
In response to Reply # 35

they're used to playing on a beat-to-shit home pitch.

PROMO
Charter member
30822 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 04:28 PM

26. "sounders tho :("
In response to Reply # 0

celery77
25307 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 04:35 PM

28. "WHO GUESSED BRAD EVANS MIGHT STRUGGLE AT CB??!!"
In response to Reply # 26

Amazingly, still doesn't top Shalrie Joseph at forward, and I love MLS for games like that one last night.

HOPE!

PROMO
Charter member
30822 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 11:01 AM

33. "it was hilarisad."
In response to Reply # 28

the cherry on top?

the sounders have these commercial running where the premise is there's an awards show and the players are nominated an win (Oba for Best Backflip vs. a dolphin, etc...you get the idea) and after the game they showed one with Brad winning.

i tweeted to the Sounders that they may want to re-consider running that commercial in the future.

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Wed Mar-25-15 12:52 PM

38. "*dead*"
In response to Reply # 33

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:40 AM

44. "props to Montreal Impact for making the CCL final"
In response to Reply # 0

that was beyond hostile conditions and they not only held on, they took it to Alajuelense. crazy game.

highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QAM2cxO-hk

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Wed Apr-29-15 09:19 PM

45. "Montreal were CCL champs ... for 45 minutes"
In response to Reply # 0

unfortunately there was another 45 minutes to play and it was ugly. props for making a good run.

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 09:41 AM

46. "Giovinco is pretty good"
In response to Reply # 0

first half hat trick against NYCFC in about 9 minutes (scored at the 34', 40' & 43' mark). and also assisted on another goal. crazy!

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 10:19 AM

47. "It's a shame that he still won't get any looks for the Azzuri though"
In response to Reply # 46

He's been brilliant. Unfortunately playing in the US is pretty much a death sentence for EU internationals. Unless your team has no other options (I see you Ireland).

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

celery77
25307 posts
Mon Jul-13-15 04:56 PM

48. "Lampard + Gerrard should both debut this week, Gio Dos Santos on his way"
In response to Reply # 0

and jesus christ Giovinco -- I know the salaries for the 99% are still kinda fucked, but damn if it isn't fun to watch right now anyway.

HOPE!

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Jul-18-15 04:03 PM

49. "Atomic Ant already sewn up MVP, GOAT DP title in his sights"
In response to Reply # 0

Seriously, I've watched a lot of MLS and I've never seen a player dominate games to the extent Giovinco is right now. Never pass on the opportunity to watch TFC if it comes right now.

HOPE!

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Jul-18-15 05:04 PM

50. "Ridgewell should be an All-Star, Pablo hatin'"
In response to Reply # 0

HOPE!

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Mon Jul-20-15 09:15 AM

51. "LA Galaxy look crazy on paper."
In response to Reply # 0

Keane, Gerrard, Gio Dos Santos, Zardes, Juninho, and they paid down Omar's contract. That is bananas.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Tue Jul-21-15 09:53 AM

52. "and Sebastian Lletget has been great this year too"
In response to Reply # 51

they're about as close to a super club as you can get in MLS.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Tue Jul-21-15 11:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
53. "......"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-21-15 11:58 AM by murph71

How that Chicago team doing though?

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Tue Jul-21-15 12:23 PM

54. "dead last in the league at the moment"
In response to Reply # 53

still alive in the Open Cup though. so, there's that...

far as I know Mike Magee is still trying to work his way back from injury (he's only played like 6 games total) so hopefully they can scrape something together to finish the season.

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 02:18 PM

55. "Impact sign Drogba via sign-trade w Chicago for Gilberto"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/07/27/montreal-impact-acquire-didier-drogba-after-completing-sign-and-trade-chicag

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/07/27/chicago-fire-sign-gilberto-designated-player-after-trade-montreal-impact-inv

celery77
25307 posts
Mon Jul-27-15 05:36 PM

56. "last year they miss on JJ, this year they whiff on Drogba"
In response to Reply # 55

Seems nuts a market like Chicago can't do better with that.

HOPE!

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 08:37 AM

57. "if they came away with nothing i'd agree"
In response to Reply # 56

but getting Gilberto is not a bad deal at all.

celery77
25307 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 09:08 AM

58. "I dunno, I'm not convinced Gilberto is better than say Quincy Amirikwa"
In response to Reply # 57

biggest difference, of course, is Gilberto costs like 10x as much.

I'd like Chicago to be good, it's been too long for them. David Accam is awesome and Harry Shipp is a very good young player, but yeah -- I don't see things really changing with Gilberto's "addition"...

HOPE!

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 12:23 PM

59. "not sure i'd even bother comparing Gilberto with Amirikwa"
In response to Reply # 58

it's not like they were traded for each other or anything like that. I was just saying that getting Gilberto was decent for Chicago when it came to not getting Drogba. for all we know, they didn't even want Drogba. yeah he's a name and can probably still produce (i.e., Marco Di Vaio) but the upside with a guy like Gilberto who's about 10 years younger is hard to pass up. that opportunity practically fell in their lap when Toronto was forced to cut him.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 12:05 PM

60. "Anyone check out this oral history of the league's founding on SI?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.si.com/longform/2015/mls/index.html

Way too long to swipe, but there's some gems in there. Best one is this:

I told them, “I don’t get this ‘Mutiny’. What’s with the symbol?” They said, “Oh, it’s a mutant bat.” “Okay, what does that have to do with Mutiny?” “You know—Mutiny, mutant.” I said, “Those are two different words with completely different meanings. They just share some letters. What are you doing?”

------

celery77
25307 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 09:02 PM

61. "this article is amazing, totally deserves a 30 for 30 at some point"
In response to Reply # 60

HOPE!

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 10:02 AM

62. "Right?"
In response to Reply # 61

Kinda like Once In A Lifetime, only it doesn't end with the league folding a few years later. I'm always interested in hearing how something as big and hard to predict as a pro sports league gets off the ground. There are so many things to consider and so many moving parts to manage, it's a wonder they don't all blow up.

And looking back, of course they let the apparel manufacturers name the teams. It's the only way we could have got Dallas Burn and Kansas City Wiz (how many local sportscasters in those cities had to resist STD jokes whenever Dallas beat KC?)

------

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Thu Jul-30-15 03:17 PM

63. "this is the greatest article on MLS i've ever seen"
In response to Reply # 60

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Fri Aug-07-15 08:57 AM

64. "big Sunday coming up for the league"
In response to Reply # 0

LA Galaxy (Gerrard, Keane, Dos Santos, etc) vs Seattle Sounders (Dempsey, Martins, etc)

NYCFC (Lampard, Pirlo, Villa, Mix) vs New York Red Bulls (Kljestan, Wright bros and newly signed Veron)

BOTH on nationally televised games? I know a lot of those players weren't signed when they made this schedule, but man what a good look for the league. here's hoping the games live up to the hype.

celery77
25307 posts
Mon Aug-10-15 09:22 AM

65. "good Sunday for MLS -- these were better than the EPL games I watched"
In response to Reply # 64

(that being the boring, cagey Man Utd and Liverpool victories)

LA Galaxy seem just bananas. Sebastian Lletget is still the most impactful signing they've made yet, although obviously Gio and Gerrard might just live up to their billing as well. Bruce knows how to ask them to do just the right amount, it's crazy. I'm not sure who would knock LA off.

Then in NYC such a thrill to watch over-paid old dudes get put in their place by an organized MLS side. Someday the league will learn chasing veteran stars is no foundation, only a luxury...

HOPE!

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Mon Sep-07-15 01:27 PM

66. "the mls youtube channel is off the chains"
In response to Reply # 0

bundesliga the only one that really come close.

shit has been clutch in keeping up w/ the league since i never get to watch any ofthe games. lots of cool player features/segments on there as well.

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Tue Sep-08-15 12:03 PM

67. "the app is pretty good too"
In response to Reply # 66

but yeah their YouTube page is pretty slick.

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Thu Oct-22-15 02:09 PM

68. "top 20 MLS jersey sales"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Clint Dempsey, Seattle Sounders
2. Steven Gerrard, LA Galaxy
3. Kaka, Orlando City
4. Andrea Pirlo, New York City FC
5. David Villa, New York City FC
6. Obafemi Martins, Seattle Sounders
7. Frank Lampard, New York City FC
8. Bradley Wright-Phillips, New York Red Bulls
9. Brek Shea, Orlando City
10. Mix Diskerud, New York City FC
11. Robbie Keane, LA Galaxy
12. Sebastian Giovinco, Toronto FC
13. Graham Zusi, Sporting Kansas City
14. Dom Dwyer, Sporting Kansas City
15. Gyasi Zardes, LA Galaxy
16. Didier Drogba, Montreal Impact
17. Giovani Dos Santos, LA Galaxy
18. Lee Nguyen, New England Revolution
19. Wil Trapp, Columbus Crew
20. Sacha Kljestan, New York Red Bulls

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Sun Oct-25-15 09:04 PM

69. "ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY RED BULLS!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

who would have thought after the fiasco that was that first town hall meeting that we'd be sitting here with our second SS in 3 years and looking like the favorites going into the playoffs?

also every week should be played like they did this "Decision Day". not sure why they can't schedule all the games on Saturday at 7pm and 9pm. makes it very exciting to follow all the games simultaneously.

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Sun Oct-25-15 09:20 PM

70. "Sebastian Giovinco wins Golden Boot"
In response to Reply # 0

highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBVp-r8JFo0

stankpalmer
Member since Dec 16th 2003
6840 posts
Fri Oct-30-15 12:15 AM

71. "Holy shit...what a game."
In response to Reply # 0

------
so...if you're into DJing or nightlife...
or DJing AND nightlife...
peep Opening Set Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/openingset

also remixes: http://jonreyes.bandcamp.com

@stankpalmer

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Fri Oct-30-15 12:45 AM

72. "Best MLS game ever!?"
In response to Reply # 71

So glad I stayed up to watch that. I've never seen anything like that in my life. Wow, just wow! Can't imagine what it was like to be there.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Oct-30-15 09:51 AM

73. "I've worked far too many Sounders games to count but jeah"
In response to Reply # 72

best i've seen by far

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Fri Oct-30-15 11:51 AM

74. "that game had everything"
In response to Reply # 73

- late drama in regular time
- late drama in extra time
- amazing penalty kicks by both teams
- god awful penalty kicks by both teams
- the luckiest/unluckiest bounces EVER ... more than once
- and it came down to the goalkeepers of both teams to finish it

it was seriously hard to go to sleep after that. that's the most i've been into a game that i wasn't invested in that i can remember.

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Tue Nov-10-15 02:59 PM

75. "Cyle Larin is Rookie of the Year"
In response to Reply # 0

to no one's surprise

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/11/10/orlando-city-forward-cyle-larin-named-2015-att-rookie-year

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Thu Nov-19-15 01:32 PM

76. "Luis Robles is Goalkeeper of the year"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Nov-19-15 01:33 PM by jrocc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTgV-kd35bA

... as well he should be.

celery77
25307 posts
Fri Nov-20-15 10:31 AM

77. "the postseason layoff is fucking terrible, pumped for this wkend tho"
In response to Reply # 0

without saying too much, I'll just say I never thought Portland could beat RSL the last time the Timbers were in the Conference Finals. I don't have the same feeling this time (Dallas good as shit, though, I know that, and RIP to Oscar Pareja's mom).

HOPE!

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Mon Nov-23-15 02:16 PM

78. "i would love single game playoffs"
In response to Reply # 77

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Mon Nov-23-15 02:17 PM

79. "Sebastian Giovinco named MLS Newcomer of the Year"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/11/23/mls-newcomer-year-sebastian-giovinco

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Tue Nov-24-15 11:48 PM

80. "Jesse Marsch wins 2015 MLS Coach of the Year"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/11/24/new-york-red-bulls-jesse-marsch-mls-coach-year

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 03:22 PM

81. "Sebastian Giovinco is MVP"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.torontofc.ca/mvp

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/12/02/toronto-fcs-sebastian-giovinco-wins-2015-landon-donovan-mls-mvp-award?autoplay=true

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Mon Dec-07-15 11:23 AM

82. "shout out to the Timbers"
In response to Reply # 0

congrats

magilla vanilla
18728 posts
Mon Dec-07-15 11:36 AM

83. "Congrats and No Pity, Cel! "
In response to Reply # 0

celery77
25307 posts
Tue Dec-08-15 10:23 AM

84. "PARADE! in downtown today, can't wait to see the turnout"
In response to Reply # 83

Soccer City fam

HOPE!

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2426780 Previous topic | Next topic