Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2422764

Subject: "The Washington Wizards WIZ-MANIA SECOND HALF Post" Previous topic | Next topic
Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Fri Feb-20-15 12:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"The Washington Wizards WIZ-MANIA SECOND HALF Post"

How's it going, Wiz-Nuts?

We're back at it, taking the second half of the season a little more seriously after trading away a money guy in Andre Miller. Look, I'm a fan of The Professor, but he can't shoot, can't drive, can't defend. Which means he'll be coaching in Sacramento next season should Karl survive. The guy has earned a shot to run a team.

Let's look at our money pieces now. Wall, Beal, Gortat. That's our "Big Three" as it were and our most solid positions. Everything else about this team is a total dice roll.

I don't think it's a matter of will or skill with this team, it's the putrid bench. Look at or bench. Who comes off that bench that strikes fear in you? No one. Okay, so not everyone can have a Jamal Crawford or, hell, Jason Terry on their squad but we have NOTHING on the pine.

I'm still down with Coach Wittman but he makes some questionable decisions. I also wonder if we need something else there. I'm not ready to give up.....hyet.

Look, it's still GO WIZARDS for me but we need to beef up our bench if we're gonna matter. Otto Porter's gotta grow a pair. Martell Webster is nothing if his jumper isn't falling. We need help.

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Leonsis being smart (cheap) is holding them back.
Feb 20th 2015
Otto need to hurry up and realize he's Tayshaun Prince.
Feb 20th 2015
Talk about a free fall.
Feb 24th 2015
i'm a bit baffled
Feb 24th 2015
And what happened to Butler?
Feb 24th 2015
Bring back Cassell
Feb 24th 2015
im getting that old feeling back...
Feb 25th 2015
this team has NO shooters
Feb 25th 2015
rock bottom
Feb 26th 2015
I just checked the boxscore. I have been doing classwork all night.
Feb 26th 2015
Hawks ain't Spurs East.....it's the Wiz
Feb 26th 2015
Grantland's take on this team is spot on. (swipe)
Feb 27th 2015
There's literally nothing wrong with this analysis. Wittman's done.
Feb 27th 2015
      Yeah, there is evidence now that Witt aint the answer.
Feb 27th 2015
           Been trying to tell you man.
Feb 27th 2015
                Indeed.
Feb 27th 2015
Beal had to make leap. He didnt. They gotta let Otto try or fail.
Feb 27th 2015
I'll give Beal one more year before I say whatever.....
Feb 27th 2015
      gotta give beal the wall treatment...max him and pray
Feb 27th 2015
           15 ppg at 42% is not Max Worthy
Feb 27th 2015
                his yr 2 stats were equal to klays in yr 2and he is 21
Feb 27th 2015
                Right today its probably a no.
Feb 27th 2015
                He's been hurt 3 years. He's played 3 years.
Feb 27th 2015
                     Same with Wall. Lets see what happens in march and April.
Feb 27th 2015
                Agreed. Not paying for Trevor Ariza numbers.
Feb 27th 2015
quitting on Whitman?
Feb 27th 2015
Somebody better not be employed tomorrow.
Feb 27th 2015
So we squeaked out a win/Beal is back, still not 100 but he back
Mar 01st 2015
squeaked out is the accurate word
Mar 01st 2015
      The team just isnt growing the way it could have.
Mar 02nd 2015
Friday's game agains the Heat told me a lot
Mar 07th 2015
those assholes couldn't have scored six more points?
Mar 09th 2015
LOL, i was thinking the same thing. CHA wasted clock on them.
Mar 10th 2015
I 'm bout tired of watching Beal run through them useless screens
Mar 10th 2015
4 Ws outta 6... they're heating up...
Mar 13th 2015
color me shcoked too
Mar 15th 2015
If KD don't come to DC, would you settle for Boogie?
Mar 14th 2015
he doesn't seem like a team player tho...that's my only thing
Mar 15th 2015
I can dig that.
Mar 16th 2015
i think he is signed until 2018. would need to trade for him
Mar 16th 2015
I expect a home W vs portland and a road loss against utah
Mar 16th 2015
Don't see them beating Portland personally
Mar 16th 2015
      I am all for giving beal time
Mar 17th 2015
Won 8 outta 10 and one game from 3rd in the conference
Mar 19th 2015
amazing March for our squad (so far)
Mar 19th 2015
seems the rotations have gotten better
Mar 19th 2015
end of dec and all of jan was just a brutal schedule
Mar 20th 2015
Whatever little bubble this team had going
Mar 24th 2015
they are wildly inconsistent, but they'll go on another run n/m
Mar 24th 2015
well
Mar 28th 2015
Raptors are a horrible matchup.
Mar 28th 2015
Y'all heard this shit?
Mar 31st 2015
No, but if it's about the Wizards, the 1st half should be good; 2nd wack
Mar 31st 2015
*zing!*
Mar 31st 2015
i know this dude
Mar 31st 2015
RE: i know this dude
Mar 31st 2015
Hi Guys
Apr 01st 2015
witty needs to leak his own story about being on the hot seat
Apr 01st 2015
three in a row and ya'll quiet?
Apr 06th 2015
A Mash Comp post with no reference to breasts...
Apr 06th 2015
late-season snooze.
Apr 06th 2015
I'm amazed at how Drew found the stroke
Apr 06th 2015
Now if Wittman can only find a way to get Blair more time.
Apr 07th 2015
baseball drafts, NCAA tourneys...lot going on
Apr 08th 2015
Four Straight Wins. Still Crickets
Apr 09th 2015
My enthusiasm has waned a bit since this team isn't hitting the
Apr 09th 2015
they got whooped out west and came back to win against bums
Apr 13th 2015
      win's a win in my book n/m
Apr 13th 2015
Okay Wizards, good and unexpected win against the Hawks!
Apr 12th 2015
i saw them winning it. hawks on auto pilot for the 'offs n/m
Apr 13th 2015
i want to see us vs Chi with them having home court.
Apr 13th 2015
So how we feeling bout Toronto ya'll?
Apr 16th 2015
Wiz in 6
Apr 17th 2015
the bulls were a better matchup but i'm optimistic about this one.
Apr 17th 2015
Yep, Wittness is BACK!
Apr 27th 2015
I can't stand Wittman.
Apr 27th 2015
      he is hard to like, but winning is what matters
Apr 27th 2015
           yep and I'm not a fan but he's earned it
Apr 27th 2015
What? This post was on page 3? After that MF'n win in ATL?
May 04th 2015
Wizards are better than the Hawks.
May 04th 2015
Wittness is 8-1 in road playoff games, 4-0 in road series openers
May 04th 2015

Awburn
Member since Oct 16th 2003
1864 posts
Fri Feb-20-15 08:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Leonsis being smart (cheap) is holding them back."
In response to Reply # 0

The decision to not go over the luxury tax line this year (and next i assume) to fortify the bench is holding them back.

Waiting and waiting for guys like Ray Allen and Will bynum to show up is fiscally smart, but also cheap. They were obviously hoping for more out of porter and webster and didnt get it. There seems to be no flashy plan B though because of the cost.

The sessions deal was needed. i continue to trust EGs trade chops.

Witt's #1 job is to get some value out of Seraphin and Porter this half and next season. If he cant, he wont be here in 2016 when the FA flood gates open.

----------
"To face that guy twice a year is going to be a headache�He takes away from your enthusiasm for the game a little bit." Justin Tuck on RG3

B.J.S.301
Member since Nov 30th 2005
7074 posts
Fri Feb-20-15 09:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Otto need to hurry up and realize he's Tayshaun Prince."
In response to Reply # 0

And start becoming that type of player. He's a good player if he just starts being more aggressive.

Wittman is the reason for this team's slide into the all star break. No if ands or buts about that. He's become better with the rotations. That is a plus. But this team still lacks good awareness and is offensively inefficient. That is his fault. I have always been critical of Wittman and I'ma stay critical of him until he shows some improvement. I'll give him a grade of a C+ right now because even though the Wizards are in the playoff hunt, that slide cost the team two notches down to 4th place. Unacceptable. Do better Wittman.

Beal has been so disappointing for me this year. I thought he would break out and be a 20 point scorer this year but that hasn't happened. Maybe part of that is Pierce taking up some of his space. I dunno. Ernie gonna pay him in hopes that he ends up being like Wall. *sigh* We'll see though.

Glad we got Sessions. Bummed that we coulda gotten Jarret Jack and the deal fell through.

Everybody else, meh.

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 08:08 AM

3. "Talk about a free fall. "
In response to Reply # 0

Got GS coming up tonight. We gon lose. Over/under 20+ though is the question.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 08:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "i'm a bit baffled"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Feb-24-15 08:22 AM by Crash Bandacoot

i know they don't have much of a bench, but they seemed to be playing
well at the beginning of the season. not sure what happened. wall
and beal are not enough, a big piece needs to be added (kd)...lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
instagram:
http://instagram.com/0kayndc

"There is much temptation to use what has worked before,
even when it may exceed its effective scope."

"Roll me further bitch"

OrangeMoon
Member since Feb 01st 2005
3284 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "And what happened to Butler?"
In response to Reply # 0

He was so hot in the beginning! Is it a live by the three die by the three type thing?

Beal is my fav player and he's out. Don't sleep on what Nene brings to the team too. Seems like they all got sick or something at the same time and their game is just struggling to find its way back.

I'm ride or die for this team but I'm pretty sad right about now.

~"You are your own best thing" (c) Paul D in BELOVED

Beezo
Charter member
27560 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 11:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Bring back Cassell"
In response to Reply # 0

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

MrStupendous
Member since May 15th 2007
12 posts
Wed Feb-25-15 09:55 AM

7. "im getting that old feeling back..."
In response to Reply # 0

We got no confindence, Nene and Gortat are not playing well together for some reason, and when you have two bigs like that, you gotta hit jumpers and we cant even hit our open shots. Bullets Forever put up this stat after the Cleveland game

"The Wizards were 25-48 (52.1 %) on contested FGs against Cleveland on Friday.They were 13-38 (34.2 percent) on uncontested FGs"

not good but maybe we get Beal back 100% he can change some of that. But we need scoring of the bench badly, i was hoping that jarrett jack trade happend, maybe nate robinson could help idk.

Awburn
1864 posts
Wed Feb-25-15 01:24 PM

8. "this team has NO shooters"
In response to Reply # 7

Beal cant stay healthy and is too young to rely on. The rest of the team can't shoot.

The hope was that the bigs would provide an advantage, but Gortat doesnt even play in the 4th.

I aint mad. 1.5 seasons ago, this was a top 3 lotto team. Its gonna take time to build. But right now, they can't compete on a regular basis.

twistyroad
Charter member
9449 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 12:22 AM

9. "rock bottom"
In response to Reply # 0

Speechless

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 12:28 AM

10. "I just checked the boxscore. I have been doing classwork all night."
In response to Reply # 9

We really lost to the T-Wolves by 20? somebody gotta get fired.

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 01:07 AM

11. "Hawks ain't Spurs East.....it's the Wiz"
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

Awburn
1864 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 01:06 PM

12. "Grantland's take on this team is spot on. (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Witt and EG aren't awful but they aren't the best. This group of players is not designed to win a title. They need to do things very differently next year (both in terms of offensive strategy and player acquisition) to take advantage of the potential that beal and wall have and to position the team to be attractive enough that a star comes here in 2016.

Not sure how they can fire witt after extending him last offseason, but folks can keep praying on that. No way they fire EG, imo. Best you can hope for is that he knows the bench is terrible and Ted lets EG spend some money instead of relying on a bargain basement bench. The point about wasting ovechkin's prime is spot on. i hope ted wont repeat it with les boulez.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/whats-wrong-with-the-wizards/

The Wizards are officially this season’s version of last season’s Pacers. They’ve lost 12 of 16, it’s been five weeks since they’ve beaten an above-.500 team, and they still have two months left to play.

For the past month or two, I’ve been avoiding writing about the Wizards, but now I just need some space to vent. Let’s start with the past seven days.

This week was rock bottom.

It’s like someone designed a perfect nightmare to twist the knife as deep as possible into Wizards fans. It was like walking down a hall of mirrors. Oh, here’s the real Eastern Conference contender your team’s been pretending to be (38-point loss to the Cavs on national TV). Here’s the coach you should have tried to hire this summer (Stan Van Gundy, taking an overmatched Pistons team and winning by 17). Here’s what the real best backcourt in the league looks like (Steph Curry dominating John Wall). And finally, last night, here’s the coach you refused to fire until it was too late, giving way to the interim coach you’ll probably refuse to fire until it’s too late (Flip Saunders and the Wolves winning by 20).

This week is an extreme example, obviously. Things will look better once Bradley Beal comes back healthy, and the shooting won’t be this bad all year. The real nightmare here is a team that’s just good enough to make you care and just clueless enough to make you miserable. This week did a nice job bringing the second half of that sentence into focus.

The most telling moments came Tuesday.

Earlier in the day, Deadspin’s Albert Burneko ran a great piece outlining all the problems with Randy Wittman’s offense and philosophy (“If Wittman is Ahab, reality is his white whale”). And so it felt like all the frustrated murmurs of the past two years had built to something like consensus by Tuesday afternoon: The Wizards have to fire Randy Wittman.

Later that night, Curry was getting whatever he wanted in the third quarter, and by the end, the crowd was audibly ooh-ing and ahh-ing after every bucket. This is what the most fun player in the league looks like.

Then I remembered: The Wizards could have drafted Curry. They didn’t, because management deluded themselves into thinking they could win a title with a team that had made the second round of the playoffs four years before. So instead of drafting Curry at no. 5, they traded that top-five pick for Mike Miller and Randy Foye, the team never made it past the first round, and both those guys were gone within 18 months.

Then I thought: Has anything really changed?

Then I saw this picture and it was like, Fabricio Oberto!

GettyImages_91560611Ned Dishman/NBAE via Getty Images

The problem is bigger than one bad coach. Anyone who’s putting all of this on Wittman needs to watch more Wizards games. Watch Wall hitting a wide-open Garrett Temple for 3s that are misses the second the ball leaves his hand. Watch Martell Webster, Kevin Seraphin, and now Ramon Sessions. The roster just isn’t very good.

It’s not even meant as a broader criticism to say it’s time for a change in this specific scenario. Ernie Grunfeld was the GM that Washington needed 12 years ago.

The Wizards were coming off one of the darker periods in franchise history. Failed rebuilds turned into a Michael Jordan comeback, and then that failed, too. This was the franchise that couldn’t even make it work with the greatest player of all time. The end of the Jordan era was miserable, and when he left, everyone was thrilled. Then Grunfeld came aboard, signed Gilbert Arenas and traded a top-five pick for Antawn Jamison, and that kind of short-term jolt made basketball in D.C. fun again. When it was time to pay Larry Hughes, Grunfeld decided against it, and instead found a way to turn Kwame Brown into Caron Butler. It’s probably the best trade this team’s ever made. Grunfeld had some incredible moments for D.C.

Even moves that most basketball people mocked — trading for veterans like Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza, adding Marcin Gortat — worked better than anyone acknowledges. And it’s probably unfair to focus on the misses, like trading for Kirk Hinrich, or drafting Jan Vesely with nobody to help him develop. Misses happen to every GM.

But while we’re being fair, let’s also be honest: The only reason this team has any long-term hope is because past rebuilding projects failed so miserably that it landed Wall and Beal. If you look at the past five years, nearly every move Grunfeld’s made has been a short-term fix to a problem that’s just going to get worse a few years down the line.

This is why I loved the Wizards’ offseason. For once, they didn’t act like the Wizards. They didn’t panic and max out their salary cap with Ariza. Thanks in large part to Sam Cassell and Wall, they lucked into Paul Pierce instead. But it’s almost March now, and in case it’s not clear, all the other quick-fix moves eventually have a price.

They couldn’t sign Ariza because Grunfeld had already overpaid Webster. They had to trade for Gortat because they built a team around two big men, and then Okafor got hurt. They traded for Nene because betting big on JaVale McGee — shocker — didn’t work out. They had to sign Kris Humphries last summer because they couldn’t rely on Drew Gooden all year. They needed Gooden last year because they’ve never used a second-round pick on a decent big man. You can play this game with almost the entire roster, all the way to pinning the entire season on whether Rasual Butler can ever start making 3s again.

Some of those moves were great, but the larger pattern will keep this team from ever winning anything that matters. At some point, it’s OK to try something new.

Wittman is the same story. He was exactly what the Wizards needed three years ago, but he’s made less and less sense ever since. While other teams have spent big on coaches like Steve Kerr and Stan Van Gundy, Wittman is proof that you get what you pay for.

I don’t even have a problem with his allergy to 3s. But if he wants to play big, playing Seraphin and Humphries over Gortat is incomprehensible. An offense designed around dribble handoffs to free up 18-foot jumpers makes no sense. Neither does feeding it into post players who suck at post-ups. Run a pick-and-roll with Gortat and Wall; run high screens for Wall to drive and kick to Beal for 3-pointers; go small with Pierce at the 4 and Otto Porter at the 3. I’m not a basketball coach, and I know Grunfeld’s roster is rough, but a team with Wall at point guard should never look this bad on offense.

It shouldn’t matter that Wall apparently swears by him. Using Wittman to coach Wall is like using a bus driver to drive a Formula One car. And he’s been even worse with Beal.

Curry and Klay Thompson adored Mark Jackson, but neither seems to have many regrets this season. The Wizards are like the other side of that Warriors coin. Singling out Wittman may not be fair, but it’s not wrong. He’s a perfect symbol for everything that’s doomed this team since they were the Bullets.

People keep asking, “What’s wrong with the Wizards?” The answer is that all the shortsighted, lazy, and cheap tendencies that have defined this team for decades are now being exposed all at once. It’s happening with Grunfeld’s roster, and it’s compounded by Wittman’s coaching. The Wizards have been a step behind and playing catch-up ever since Arenas got hurt, and this year it’s all catching up to them.

B7XFI_hIcAEjHBZ

Speaking of people being shortsighted … It’s not like a bad losing streak in February means the future is somehow doomed. The salary cap is going up in 18 months, which means the worst contracts won’t look so bad and teams all over the league are more willing to take on money. Moves can be made this summer. Coaches can be hired, shooters can be added around Wall and Beal. This team’s nowhere near as far off as it seems this week. But only if the Wizards acknowledge everything that got them to this week.

There are two ways this can go now.

On the one hand: The Wizards draw a Rose–less Bulls team in the first round, beat Chicago, and everybody comes back. In that case, all of these problems continue right on into next year. The Wizards struggle in a tougher conference, everyone’s miserable, and it festers long enough to cost them any shot at (ahem) 2016 free agents and a potential title nucleus. Honestly, this is the most likely scenario. Even if the Wizards lose in the first round, everyone probably comes back. It took Ted Leonsis years to make a change with the Washington Capitals coaching and management, and they wasted the prime of Alex Ovechkin along the way. There’s not a lot of evidence to suggest that won’t happen with Wall.

The other possibility: They could let the rest of the season play out with or without Wittman, and then hire someone like Blazers assistant (and former Wizards legend) David Vanterpool to coach. Maybe they look at this list and pick someone new to run the front office. They could remake the roster with shooters, make a real run next year, and enter the summer of 2016 with monstrous amounts of cap space. Suddenly the future begins to look a lot brighter.

That’s the only silver lining to watching last year’s Pacers play in D.C. this season. This stupid team that I love is getting a loud reality check right before the one year when it’s actually important not to be stupid. It’s at least possible that all of this misery will be worth it in the end. Instead of being shortsighted, lazy, and cheap … there’s always the chance the Wizards could be smart.

----------
"To face that guy twice a year is going to be a headache�He takes away from your enthusiasm for the game a little bit." Justin Tuck on RG3

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17896 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 02:19 PM

13. "There's literally nothing wrong with this analysis. Wittman's done. "
In response to Reply # 12

Or he should be.

Looking at his coaching record before the Wiz, he never had very talented rosters. So you figured maybe with Wall, Beal and Gortat, he could do some damage.

And he did. Got us to the second round of the 'offs last year, and a great first half of the season this year.

But he's reached his potential. This article and the Deadspin one have shown that he either doesn't have the wherewithal to throw some new kinks in his schemes, or he's too slow to do so.

And Grunfeld does bears some of the brunt as well. The cupboard should not be the this bare off the bench.

I hope they turn it around soon. The way it's looking now, we're gonna take a thumping in the playoffs.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Awburn
1864 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 03:13 PM

14. "Yeah, there is evidence now that Witt aint the answer."
In response to Reply # 13

>Looking at his coaching record before the Wiz, he never had
>very talented rosters. So you figured maybe with Wall, Beal
>and Gortat, he could do some damage.
>
>And he did. Got us to the second round of the 'offs last year,
>and a great first half of the season this year.
>
>But he's reached his potential. This article and the Deadspin
>one have shown that he either doesn't have the wherewithal to
>throw some new kinks in his schemes, or he's too slow to do
>so.

Before I just wanted to see what he could do with an actual roster. But he is apparently incapable of getting the most out of Gortat (who recently admitted to some personal off the court issues that were effecting his game) and can't figure out how to match his offense with the talent he currently has.

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 03:14 PM

15. "Been trying to tell you man. "
In response to Reply # 14

Awburn
1864 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 04:30 PM

18. "Indeed."
In response to Reply # 15
Fri Feb-27-15 04:36 PM by Awburn

I am bagging up my Wittness t-shirts and taking them down to the Goodwill. Might use some to clean my car after the snow melts or something.

In his defense, he did a fine job last year. He just isnt capable of making the whole greater than the sum of what EG gives him.

And in retrospect, other than Wall, he's only gotten production out of guys in contract years. Guys who were finna play well regardless of who was coaching them.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 03:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "Beal had to make leap. He didnt. They gotta let Otto try or fail."
In response to Reply # 0

They didnt.

Thats basically it.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 03:30 PM

17. "I'll give Beal one more year before I say whatever....."
In response to Reply # 16

But yeah that is pretty much the narrative right there.

Awburn
1864 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 04:33 PM

19. "gotta give beal the wall treatment...max him and pray"
In response to Reply # 17

he stays healthy and breaks out.

he will most certainly fall into that rip hamilton, sheed, etc group of cats we gave up on too early otherwise.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 06:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "15 ppg at 42% is not Max Worthy"
In response to Reply # 19

Awburn
1864 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 08:15 PM

22. "his yr 2 stats were equal to klays in yr 2and he is 21"
In response to Reply # 20

he didnt progress like klay in year three but he's been hurt this whole year,

i dont seem them letting him hit the market after next season or him leaving the max on the table unless he is hurt next year too.

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 08:28 PM

24. "Right today its probably a no. "
In response to Reply # 22

Wall was a gamble that ended up working out. What DC franchise gets lucky twice? None.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 09:54 PM

25. "He's been hurt 3 years. He's played 3 years."
In response to Reply # 22

Awburn
1864 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 11:26 PM

27. "Same with Wall. Lets see what happens in march and April. "
In response to Reply # 25

----------

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 08:21 PM

23. "Agreed. Not paying for Trevor Ariza numbers. "
In response to Reply # 20

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 07:29 PM

21. "quitting on Whitman?"
In response to Reply # 0

No shade, an honest question. They've come out with no fight at all tonight, and that always worries me.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 10:03 PM

26. "Somebody better not be employed tomorrow."
In response to Reply # 0

All I gotta say.

OrangeMoon
3284 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 03:29 AM

28. "So we squeaked out a win/Beal is back, still not 100 but he back"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't even watch the game I was unsure of what I would witness but I'm glad we got a win.

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 01:37 PM

29. "squeaked out is the accurate word"
In response to Reply # 28

it wasn't the worst game ever by any stretch, but i see what y'all mean about Witty.

Awburn
1864 posts
Mon Mar-02-15 10:24 AM

30. "The team just isnt growing the way it could have."
In response to Reply # 29

Witt needed to show that the team could grow from good to elite. Losing 12 games, many against inferior opponents, and not having a way to leverage the talent that was healthy (nene and gortat) when beal and others are out were my knocks against him. Not developing otto and seraphin enough are knocks too since they could have filled in.

With a healthy team, they'll prolly make a run before the playoffs start, but there is no reason to believe that the coaching or the way the team is constructed will allow them to get pass the first round. if that...

----------

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 04:16 AM

31. "Friday's game agains the Heat told me a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

Told me that we've got one of the league's worst benches and perhaps one of the league's worst coaching staffs.

Like Miami put their quicks in and we didn't do anything to body them up to stop it. The players had to figure it out.

Squandering a 35-point lead like that is ugly.

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Mon Mar-09-15 09:54 PM

32. "those assholes couldn't have scored six more points?"
In response to Reply # 0

We could be in 50% off Papa John's heaven now but NOOOO!

aka good win. A win we needed and should have gotten.

Johnny was dishing.

WarriorPoet415
17896 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 11:53 AM

33. "LOL, i was thinking the same thing. CHA wasted clock on them."
In response to Reply # 32

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Tue Mar-10-15 12:16 PM

34. "I 'm bout tired of watching Beal run through them useless screens"
In response to Reply # 32

And then see him clank a midrange shot. There has to be other ways to get this dude open.

Awburn
1864 posts
Fri Mar-13-15 07:06 AM

35. "4 Ws outta 6... they're heating up..."
In response to Reply # 0

it was bound to happen. took longer than it needed to.

I hold witt accountable for it taking so long and EG/ted for not having enough backcourt depth to manage the beal injury...

but these boys are too talented for .500 or less ball. All that matters is a nice little run to the playoffs and fending off these other wack teams in the bottom half of the bracket...

----------

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 06:40 PM

37. "color me shcoked too"
In response to Reply # 35

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Sat Mar-14-15 08:29 PM

36. "If KD don't come to DC, would you settle for Boogie?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cousins looking extra frustrated in Sacramento. Two big blown leads turned into losses. Wall gotta be saying come to DC....

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Sun Mar-15-15 06:46 PM

38. "he doesn't seem like a team player tho...that's my only thing"
In response to Reply # 36

hell yes he's talented but meh. we don't need moody on this team.

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 11:56 AM

39. "I can dig that."
In response to Reply # 38

DeMarcus is a bit of a head case and this team hasn't exactly done well with head cases. I honestly wish there was a way for the Wiz to get Anthony Davis in 2016 but I don't exactly see him leaving NO. As much as I want KD to come, and I really would like KD to come, I kinda wish there were other players the Wiz could think about too.

Awburn
1864 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 01:16 PM

40. "i think he is signed until 2018. would need to trade for him"
In response to Reply # 36
Mon Mar-16-15 01:16 PM by Awburn

if we could somehow get him... yes. Nene is either taking a huge pay cut or leaving and that leaves a hole at the 4.

there are a lot of FAs that year tho. lots of wings to be had if KD falls through, not so many bigs.

----------

Awburn
1864 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 03:33 PM

41. "I expect a home W vs portland and a road loss against utah"
In response to Reply # 0

cuz that would be a wizards thing to do...

last time we played Por we were up ten at the half and blew the lead in the 3rd as is our M.O.

wall seems to have taken in on himself to be that guy... i think that Kyrie explosion had something to do with it too.

Does Beal have that fire? I dont know. Maybe having a guy with Pierce's pedigree is hindering his development. Dude might be too nice.

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Mon Mar-16-15 04:33 PM

42. "Don't see them beating Portland personally "
In response to Reply # 41

But if they did, I'll take it.

>wall seems to have taken in on himself to be that guy... i
>think that Kyrie explosion had something to do with it too.

He seems to be getting his legs back now. He is shooting much better than before.
>
>Does Beal have that fire? I dont know. Maybe having a guy with
>Pierce's pedigree is hindering his development. Dude might be
>too nice.

I've just been thinking about Bradley Beal and his injury history. Dude has a propensity for fibula injuries and its always been on the right leg. Its definitely hampered his development as a shooter. I hope for his sake that he gets it right and can stay healthy. If he can stay healthy for a good season then I would think about his progression. His greatest skill is his shooting and he can't be too effective if his legs aren't healthy. I don't think it has anything to do with Pierce but I think it might have something to do with his legs.

He's still got a lot of court awareness issues to work out too but I wouldn't expect for the light to click on until at least next year. Didn't all come together until year 4 for Wall and with Beal being in and out, I hope it at least starts to click next year. Some of this though I blame on Randy, but most of it is on Beal. I think everyone has to be patient with Beal for now. He has to get healthy in his lower extremities in order for his shots to start falling.

Awburn
1864 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 08:52 AM

43. "I am all for giving beal time"
In response to Reply # 42

these guys get drafted at 19 for potential and you gotta give them room to develop. With the injuries, its a learning process as well to figure out how to avoid them. John figured out how to take care of his body and so can Brad.

Awburn
1864 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 10:45 AM

44. "Won 8 outta 10 and one game from 3rd in the conference"
In response to Reply # 0

i am just throwing feb in the trash. The whole team was off, and unlike toronto, the wiz are peaking at the right time.

john wall is back to playing like an mvp and the only teams that can stop them in a playoff series are cle and atl right now.

their ceiling with witt and no bench is still limited, but i am glad they are back to maxing out their potential with the current staff/players.

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 10:12 PM

46. "amazing March for our squad (so far)"
In response to Reply # 44

I don't wanna jinx it tho

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 09:36 PM

45. "seems the rotations have gotten better"
In response to Reply # 0

He seems to be playing Beal and Nene with the 2nd unit more which at least keeps some scoring on the floor.

Also is it just me but they seem to have had more time off later in the year. They seem to be playing every 3rd day and not had a lot of B2Bs.

Awburn
1864 posts
Fri Mar-20-15 11:48 AM

47. "end of dec and all of jan was just a brutal schedule"
In response to Reply # 45

its not surprising that it bled into feb.

march and april dont compare at all in terms of road back to backs and 4 games in 5 nights.

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 10:53 AM

48. "Whatever little bubble this team had going"
In response to Reply # 0

I think its been burst now.

Awburn
1864 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 02:41 PM

49. "they are wildly inconsistent, but they'll go on another run n/m"
In response to Reply # 48

rashad
Member since Mar 21st 2007
4458 posts
Sat Mar-28-15 11:57 AM

50. "well"
In response to Reply # 0

they barely won last night, they still look fragile, but they are still in that 5th spot. they will either play a slumping Raptors squad or a Bulls team they match up well against (assuming Rose doesn't play).

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Sat Mar-28-15 11:11 PM

51. "Raptors are a horrible matchup. "
In response to Reply # 50

We could win if Wittman pays attention and actually shows some coaching chops though. But he doesn't have much faith in the defense so......

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 10:02 AM

52. "Y'all heard this shit?"
In response to Reply # 0

Somebody made a EP about the Wizards..... https://soundcloud.com/paperboyprince

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 10:20 AM

53. "No, but if it's about the Wizards, the 1st half should be good; 2nd wack"
In response to Reply # 52

WarriorPoet415
17896 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 10:25 AM

54. "*zing!*"
In response to Reply # 53

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 10:56 AM

55. "i know this dude"

i haven't opened it out of fear it'll be terrible

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 03:24 PM

56. "RE: i know this dude"
In response to Reply # 55

>i haven't opened it out of fear it'll be terrible

Your fears are confirmed.

twistyroad
Charter member
9449 posts
Wed Apr-01-15 04:21 PM

57. "Hi Guys"

This might be the worst collection of music I've ever heard in my life.

Awburn
1864 posts
Wed Apr-01-15 04:27 PM

58. "witty needs to leak his own story about being on the hot seat"
In response to Reply # 0

something like..."A "source" with knowledge of the situation could indicate that witty might be let go if they dont make the ECF. And vinny del negro and brian shaw are the leading candidates to replace him."

maybe if they think their coach might get fired, they'll go on a lil run and make some noise over the next few weeks.

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 02:20 PM

59. "three in a row and ya'll quiet?"
In response to Reply # 0

granted they were shit teams but damn.

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 02:40 PM

60. "A Mash Comp post with no reference to breasts..."
In response to Reply # 59

it just doesn't seem right somehow...

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

roaches
Member since Jun 04th 2003
6849 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 03:41 PM

61. "late-season snooze."

i'm just waiting for the playoffs. who do we prefer, the bulls or the raptors?

I don't believe in drew gooden but his outside shooting definitely opens things up for everyone else. i'd like to see more of paul pierce in that stretch 4 role when he returns. otto's been too good to get buried again.

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 07:08 PM

62. "I'm amazed at how Drew found the stroke"
In response to Reply # 61

If he can keep it up, we open up the floor.

no romo on all of that reply, by the way.

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Tue Apr-07-15 11:35 AM

63. "Now if Wittman can only find a way to get Blair more time. "
In response to Reply # 61

That's money wasted on the bench for him. May not be the greatest talent but its not all his fault for not producing.

But I am so glad Otto is out of the doghouse for now. Should have never taken his minutes away like that. Worst team in the NBA at developing players and Otto is a prime example.

Awburn
1864 posts
Wed Apr-08-15 08:22 AM

64. "baseball drafts, NCAA tourneys...lot going on"

all that matters now for the wizards is getting out of the first round and taking round two to game 7 if not winning it...

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 08:57 PM

65. "Four Straight Wins. Still Crickets"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm finna eat all the papa john's tho.

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 09:49 PM

66. "My enthusiasm has waned a bit since this team isn't hitting the "
In response to Reply # 65

50 win mark. I really was hoping for that milestone this year.

Awburn
1864 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 09:17 AM

69. "they got whooped out west and came back to win against bums"
In response to Reply # 65

that is not exciting anymore. end of season swings where you win 6, lose 5 then win 5 arent cool. they could have been better than this.

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 09:43 AM

71. "win's a win in my book n/m"
In response to Reply # 69

OrangeMoon
3284 posts
Sun Apr-12-15 09:57 PM

67. "Okay Wizards, good and unexpected win against the Hawks!"
In response to Reply # 0

Last home game before playoffs, great way to end it. Now let's win the next against the Pacers, keep the momentum up!

Let's go!

Mash_Comp
66714 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 09:42 AM

70. "i saw them winning it. hawks on auto pilot for the 'offs n/m"
In response to Reply # 67

Awburn
1864 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 09:14 AM

68. "i want to see us vs Chi with them having home court."
In response to Reply # 0

it will really solidify this rivalry and is a series the wiz should win.

i know thibs runs his guys into the ground and our injury prone team doesnt need that... but i'd take him next year and make every game versus chi even that much better in 2016.

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 05:15 PM

72. "So how we feeling bout Toronto ya'll?"
In response to Reply # 0

Good matchup? Bad matchup? My fan side wants to say Wiz in 6. The pessimist in me say Tor in 7. Toss up for me. No idea. Comes down to which coach is worse and I'ma bet on Casey for now. Wiz in 6

Awburn
1864 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 08:49 AM

73. "Wiz in 6"
In response to Reply # 72

They'll steal one of the first two. Lose an easy one at home then finish it of in a close game six.

Wall and Beal will step up cuz of the spotlight, but the same immaturity that has them (Beal more than Wall) not dominating in the regular season is gonna hurt them at some point late in round one or in round two.

roaches
Member since Jun 04th 2003
6849 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 02:50 PM

74. "the bulls were a better matchup but i'm optimistic about this one."
In response to Reply # 72

dunno what to take away from the regular season series. beal only played 1 game and they all happened before the sessions trade. a lot's happened to both teams since.

if the wiz get gortat going and don't bite on the raps' pump-fakes i think they'll be fine.

Awburn
1864 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 09:27 AM

75. "Yep, Wittness is BACK!"
In response to Reply # 0

First round sweep due to tactical maneuvers and the emergence of Otto.

Them boys were focused, played smart on offense and kept lowry and williams in check on defense. Derozan got his in the first quarters when pierce was starting and guarding him, but Otto played like a monster and shut that down every time he got it there.

i dont care if lowery was hurt or if revisionists wanna say that the raptors were flawed. Nobody was predicting this kinda butt whooping and Wittness delivered.

With the nets a non factor, the hawks banged up, the wizards ownership of Chicago, and Klove hurt, *this* wizards team has some potential in the east...

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 10:44 AM

76. "I can't stand Wittman. "
In response to Reply # 75

I really really can't stand this man. I really want his ass gone from this team and he comes and does quite well in this series which will be enough for him to keep his job.....again. If he makes the Eastern Conference finals I might change my tune a little bit. This team, in my opinion, is a better team than Atlanta but they never played like it all year long. Part of this has been the players being up and down with their effort all year, but in my opinion, Wittman has been poor at his job as well. I gotta see what he does in this next round before I can say that he is good. If Budenholzer out coaches him this next round, I still want him gone. He is gonna have to be on point this next round for this team to advance.

Awburn
1864 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 12:06 PM

77. "he is hard to like, but winning is what matters"
In response to Reply # 76
Mon Apr-27-15 12:07 PM by Awburn

This team, in my opinion, is a better team
>than Atlanta but they never played like it all year long. Part
>of this has been the players being up and down with their
>effort all year, but in my opinion, Wittman has been poor at
>his job as well. I gotta see what he does in this next round
>before I can say that he is good. If Budenholzer out coaches
>him this next round, I still want him gone. He is gonna have
>to be on point this next round for this team to advance.

this is back to back years in which he has significantly out coached the opposition during the playoffs. Casey isnt much to speak about, but his team was tops in offense this year and got shut down. Last year the bulls were hurt, but Thibs was legitimately out coached.

This is not a fluke anymore.

Why he can't motivate during the regular season, i dont know.

Should they have won 50 games in the east? maybe, but beal kept missing time, and the bench wasnt as deep as it looked especially at the 1-3 spots.

Now that it counts, the team is shining. The next series *should* dictate his future cuz the squad is healthy. Winning the second round was an attainable goal for this team at the beginning of the season. If they win, he should stay.

----------
"To face that guy twice a year is going to be a headache. He takes away from your enthusiasm for the game a little bit." Justin Tuck on (rookie-year) RG3

twistyroad
Charter member
9449 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 02:02 PM

78. "yep and I'm not a fan but he's earned it"
In response to Reply # 77

>If they win, he should stay.

OrangeMoon
3284 posts
Mon May-04-15 12:37 AM

79. "What? This post was on page 3? After that MF'n win in ATL?"
In response to Reply # 0

I was on my Mommy grind, so I missed watching the game but checked the half scores and felt glad I wasn't watching. Then they turn it around and pull out the win!!!!

Heard Bradley and John were injured though, hope they can shake it off for game 2.

Let's Go Wiz!

B.J.S.301
7074 posts
Mon May-04-15 07:58 AM

80. "Wizards are better than the Hawks. "
In response to Reply # 0

Not just because of that Game 1 win either. Like I said before, they just haven't played like it. Wiz gotta out-grind them this series. They can do it.

Awburn
1864 posts
Mon May-04-15 08:35 AM

81. "Wittness is 8-1 in road playoff games, 4-0 in road series openers"
In response to Reply # 0

No matter what happened during the regular season, that is not something that bad coaches do.

The team keeps raising the bar. Winning in 6 or less is expected.

It will truly suck if beal or wall are hobbled going into the next couple games, but its not like the Hawks are 100% healthy either.

Gotta keep up that intensity and find a way to get Nene more involved.

Props to beal for his defense against korver.

Otto, man...

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2422764 Previous topic | Next topic