Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2418874

Subject: "Syracuse opts out of the NIT early (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26425 posts
Wed Feb-04-15 08:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Syracuse opts out of the NIT early (swipe)"

for the record, that's two separate violations that led to at least a postseason ban for Jimmy B! Syracuse!

also, shouts to twitter.com/NoEsclators for the great oneliner. my favorite: I'M MOSTLY SURPRISED THIS IS GETTING PRESS NOW. SYRACUSE SELF-IMPOSED A TOURNAMENT BAN THREE WEEKS AGO WHEN IT LOST TO FUCKING CLEMSON BY 13

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12280636/syracuse-basketball-team-self-imposes-postseason-ban-year-response-ncaa-investigation

The Syracuse men's basketball team has self-imposed a postseason ban this year in response to an ongoing NCAA investigation into potential past infractions by the team.

The school initiated the case, which includes academics, when it self-reported potential athletic department violations to the NCAA in 2007. School officials said Wednesday none of the conduct occurred after 2012 and no current student-athlete is involved.

The ban includes the NCAA tournament, ACC tournament and NIT. The ACC tournament will feature 14 teams instead of 15, according to the league, and teams will slide up to replace Syracuse once the regular season ends. Syracuse is included in any tiebreakers for determining seeds.

"I am very disappointed that our basketball team will miss the opportunity to play in the postseason this year," coach Jim Boeheim said in a news release. "However, I supported this decision and I believe the University is doing the right thing by acknowledging that past mistakes occurred."

In 2012, Syracuse declared former center Fab Melo ineligible for the NCAA tournament days before it started. Melo also missed three Big East games during the season because of an academic issue. Early in the 2012-13 season, former forward James Southerland sat out six games for an academic issue but helped lead the Orange to the Final Four.

In March 2012, school officials said the university had self-reported possible violations of its internal drug policy by former members of the team and that the NCAA was investigating. None of the members of that team was involved.

The school also acknowledged the NCAA had inquired into old allegations that players were allowed to practice and play despite being in violation of the school's drug policy.

"We are fully supportive of Syracuse and its decision to self-impose sanctions by removing themselves from any men's basketball postseason opportunities,'' ACC Commissioner John Swofford said.

The probe also involves issues with football. Syracuse completed a two-day hearing before the Committee on Infractions in October, and among those who attended were Boeheim and football coach Scott Shafer.

"While this is a tough decision for the university and its students, faculty, staff and fans, it helps to close this particular chapter and allows us to focus on the future," said newly appointed faculty athletics representative Rick Burton.

Plagued by injuries, Syracuse has struggled to a 15-7 mark this season and was a longshot to make the NCAA tournament or NIT. Still, the announcement was difficult for the players to accept.

"We are all tremendously disappointed that we are going to miss out on playing in the postseason based on issues that do not involve us," team captains Rakeem Christmas, Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije said in a joint statement.

While the Orange have only eight scholarship players currently available to play due to injuries, Boeheim has the top recruiting class in his 39 years as head coach inked for next year and big things are expected as he nears 1,000 career victories. If the NCAA agrees a one-year postseason ban is sufficient, the new recruits won't be affected.

-----------
Y'all stupid...should've tanked for Lebron/Wiggins in 2014 -Rex LongFellow

Its 2014...there are computers in glasses and people stunt after hitting the ball far. Get over it. -Cenario

It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilariou

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ITWABM
Feb 06th 2015
This isn't over.
Feb 06th 2015
yeah, it's gonna be interesting. this is about stuff from 2007 and earli...
Feb 06th 2015
      2007 - the last time GTown saw the 2nd weekend of the NCAAs
Feb 06th 2015
           RE: 2007 enjoy you vacation
Feb 06th 2015
freeing up a better NIT seed for Georgetown?
Feb 06th 2015
... you don't think the Hoyas are NIT-bound, do you?
Feb 06th 2015
      I guess you're right
Feb 06th 2015
           That's a more fair insult.
Feb 06th 2015
           better than being the worst orange team in a league
Feb 06th 2015
                I think we might've lost to Providence like twice....ever
Feb 06th 2015
As Soon as We Get to the ACC, This Shit Happens
Feb 06th 2015
Good try Syracuse (link)
Mar 06th 2015

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 11:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "ITWABM"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-06-15 11:59 AM by bentagain

if that was John Thompson

or even John Thompson III

MFers would be up in here doing the shmoney dance

isn't this the same board that partied of UNC for similar violations?

but this story has already fallen out of the news cycle

SMH

ITWABM

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 12:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This isn't over."
In response to Reply # 0

I've heard a number of people whisper that the NCAA isn't going to just give the thumbs-up to this and leave them alone.

It's a valiant effort though. Especially so they can paint this year in the history books as "well, it's not that we missed the tournament, it's that we self-imposed sanctions, so..." I respect the hustle. Even if that hustle probably won't pacify the NCAA.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 01:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "yeah, it's gonna be interesting. this is about stuff from 2007 and earli..."
In response to Reply # 2

and we know there's been problems w/ academics after. LET YOUR NUTS HANG, NCAA.

-----------

Its 2014...there are computers in glasses and people stunt after hitting the ball far. Get over it. -Cenario

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18638 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 03:45 PM

7. "2007 - the last time GTown saw the 2nd weekend of the NCAAs"
In response to Reply # 3

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 03:58 PM

10. "RE: 2007 enjoy you vacation"
In response to Reply # 7

Errr....I mean vacated wins.
-----------

DJR
18638 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 03:25 PM

4. "freeing up a better NIT seed for Georgetown?"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 03:32 PM

5. "... you don't think the Hoyas are NIT-bound, do you?"
In response to Reply # 4

If they can win four of their next seven, including not losing to DePaul, they should be pretty safely in with an 19-10 record, one of the toughest strengths of schedule in the country, and zero bad losses. Even if they only go 3-4 in the next seven, 18-11 with that SOS should still get them in.

DJR
18638 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 03:44 PM

6. "I guess you're right"
In response to Reply # 5

Unless they completely collapse, all those losses to good teams should be enough to get them in.

But maybe they should self-impose a trip to the NIT to save themselves from another 1st weekend exit.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 03:50 PM

8. "That's a more fair insult."
In response to Reply # 6

It'll be interesting to see who they draw.

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 04:00 PM

11. "better than being the worst orange team in a league"
In response to Reply # 6

Lol clemson lol
-----------

DJR
18638 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 04:02 PM

12. "I think we might've lost to Providence like twice....ever"
In response to Reply # 11

Gtown lost to them twice in one year? LOL.

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 03:57 PM

9. "As Soon as We Get to the ACC, This Shit Happens"
In response to Reply # 0

fuck it

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 12:27 PM

13. "Good try Syracuse (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12432471/ncaa-suspends-jim-boeheim-nine-games-cuts-syracuse-orange-scholarships

The NCAA on Friday has suspended Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim for nine ACC games and has taken away scholarships as a result of a multiyear investigation into the university's athletic programs.

"Over the course of a decade, Syracuse University did not control and monitor its athletics programs," the NCAA said in a statement, "and its head men's basketball coach failed to monitor his program."

The NCAA suspended Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim for nine ACC games, saying he failed to "promote an atmosphere of compliance and monitor his staff."
Syracuse's penalties also include a five-year probation and for the school to vacate all wins in which ineligible men's basketball students played in 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2010-11 and 2011-12 and ineligible football students played in 2004-05, 2005-06 and 2006-07.

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2418874 Previous topic | Next topic