Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2400820

Subject: "Hearns, Hagler, Leonard, De La Hoya, Duran on KO Power" Previous topic | Next topic
michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 03:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hearns, Hagler, Leonard, De La Hoya, Duran on KO Power"

Hearns, Hagler, Leonard, De La Hoya, Duran on KO Power

By James Blears

Are you born with knockout power? Is it a force of nature or a product of nurture?

At the World Boxing Council's 52nd Convention in the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas, nine former champions who are forever stars and often made opponents see stars, harbored few doubts about dishing out some forthright answers.

Between them Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Nigel Benn, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Kostya Tszyu, John H Stracey, Evander Holyfield and Oscar de La Hoya...who were at hand, amassed a combined 351 knockouts in their galaxy of careers.

Here's what they had to say about their punctuated artistry:

Tommy Hearns. 48 KO's:

"I think we're born with power, but you have to master it. You have to bring it out, and after a few years I was able to put together some power. My KO of Roberto Duran was an incredible knockout, because he was known as a a great fighter. No one had yet knocked him out, so it was wonderful for me. I had power in both hands. But my right hand carried more power so I concentrated on that more. Once you develop a powerful punch, it's something that you never loose. It's a blessing from God, but it's something you can train your body to do. You've got tweak what God has given you, and turn it into what you want."

Roberto Duran. 70 KO's

"The first power is faith and to thank God that he has given you the strength. My Father was Mexican and my Mother was Panamanian. She was indigenous and and she prayed for my strength. The power in my hands is equal. It's also to do with speed."

Nigel Benn. 35 KO's.

"Um...yes! I've got "Hands of stone sitting right next to me! I have always had power. You can learn to punch harder, but I think you're actually born with it. We had some great fighters that had a lot of power, but didn't know how to use it, or didn't have a good chin. It's also knowing how to use it at the right time. Every time I threw a punch, it was with intention!"

Sugar Ray Leonard. 25 KO's.

"You have to set someone up for that punch, so it's the sweet sauce of boxing. It is timing. It's that intuitive feeling that some of us have and it's like a radar. It's a feel. I can look at you and want to hit you on the nose, but for the most part I'll hit you on the lip, so I always go where it's supposed to go. My left hook was without question my power punch, but my right hand could lead up to some serious disaster."

Marvin Hagler. 52 KO's.

I think I was born with it. I don't think it's easy to develop it. No one can really teach you how to knock somebody out. Sometimes you can knock a guy out without even the power, so it depends on how you use it. I hit a lot of guys and had them on Queer Street, and then you can hit that same guy and wake him right back up again, so you've got to know how to use it."

Kostya Tszyu. 25 KO's.

Power is transferring not only from your feet and your hands, it's from your mind. You can teach punching power. Some people have heavy punches. Some have tremendous speed punches. I have a combination of speed and power, and to knock out people with excitement. Actually with my first big knockout was when I was around forty kilograms. I knocked a person out cold and I thought....I've got something!"

John H Stracey. 37 KO's.

"I think you are born with a punch because what makes you go into boxing in the first place? I used to play football and cricket, but suddenly boxing appealed so much to me. And as you progress during the years, you develop, and I developed a good left hook, as I'm left handed. So I think the boxing is inside you and it will come out. The timing is the most important ingredient, because anyone can have a good punch, but sometimes they don't connect properly. But if you have got that ability, It's only a matter of time before it happens."

Evander Holyfield. 29 KO's

I don't think anyone is born with anything. You learn it by lifestyle, how you come up and what you're doing and how hard the struggle is when you're young. If you're brought up in a wealthy family, you never had to swing and never had to throw rocks and climb trees and all these different things. Lifestyle develops you for what life may be for you."

Oscar De La Hoya. 30 KO's.

I believe to a certain degree you can develop power, but you have to be born with that punching power and the majority of the fighters here were born with punching power. My left jab and my left hook were my bread and butter. It's positioning, timing, when to throw it, it's knowing how to throw it. This all starts from the balls of your feet. If you're born with punching power, it makes your life much easier.

www.pacifictrainingcenter.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/San-Diego-CA/Pacific-Training-Center-Boxing-Muay-Thai-Fitness/145216788833188

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Tha phuck Duran talking abt lol
Dec 18th 2014
haha that's what i said!
Dec 19th 2014
floyd wasn't available for comment?
Dec 18th 2014
the next article will be on how Champions can duck fighting
Dec 18th 2014
      Who did RJ Jr duck?
Dec 18th 2014
           the fighters RJ ducked weren't nearly as good as the one's
Dec 19th 2014
always wondered if it's the same thing as throwing power in baseball
Dec 18th 2014
"Had them on Queer Street" ehwow
Dec 18th 2014
ha that made me laugh too
Dec 19th 2014
lmao yeah totally noticed that, too.
Dec 19th 2014

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 03:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Tha phuck Duran talking abt lol"
In response to Reply # 0

grassrootsphilosopher

michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 12:18 PM

10. "haha that's what i said! "
In response to Reply # 1

www.pacifictrainingcenter.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/San-Diego-CA/Pacific-Training-Center-Boxing-Muay-Thai-Fitness/145216788833188

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 04:12 PM

2. "floyd wasn't available for comment?"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 04:41 PM

5. "the next article will be on how Champions can duck fighting"
In response to Reply # 2

the best available challengers in their primes..

it will feature Floyd and Roy Jones jr.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 05:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Who did RJ Jr duck?"
In response to Reply # 5

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Get 25% off www.karmaloop.com w/ rep code JR9103 |
Nike, G-Star, Herschel, Adidas (Men's & Women's clothing)

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 12:06 PM

9. "the fighters RJ ducked weren't nearly as good as the one's"
In response to Reply # 6

Floyd has avoided..

but after RJ got his big HBO contract...HBO made the mistaken of letting RJ pick his opponents...and he went on a nice stretch of fighting guys who weren't full time boxers.... he was fighting mailmen, and police officers on prime time HBO...

he was pretty purposeful about avoiding any potential real challenge.... there were some decent Cruiserweight guys with belts....and some light heavies he could have challenged that would have put up a better fight than David Tedesco...

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 04:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "always wondered if it's the same thing as throwing power in baseball"
In response to Reply # 0

they should clock GGG or Wlad or someone throwing one

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 04:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. ""Had them on Queer Street" ehwow"
In response to Reply # 0

nice old timer saying right there lol

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 02:37 AM

7. "ha that made me laugh too"
In response to Reply # 4

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 10:17 AM

8. "lmao yeah totally noticed that, too."
In response to Reply # 4

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2400820 Previous topic | Next topic