Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2366166

Subject: "Sabres owner reaches agreement to buy Bills for $1.2 billion" Previous topic | Next topic
Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 10:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sabres owner reaches agreement to buy Bills for $1.2 billion"

1. I guess this officially means that no NFL team will ever be sold for less than a billion. How soon before a team sells for trillions?

2. Glad the Bills are staying put. Not that I want Oakland, STL or San Diego to lose their teams, but it would've really sucked to see the Bills move to LA.

3. There's no way Donald Trump dropped out because the price was too unreasonable.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11493438/terry-kim-pegula-tentatively-approved-buy-buffalo-bills

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Buffalo Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula have a tentative agreement to buy the Buffalo Bills for $1.2 billion, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Tuesday, confirming multiple media reports.

The Pegulas intend to keep the Bills in Buffalo, according to those sources.

The next step is for the members of late owner Ralph Wilson's estate to get initial approval from the NFL, sources told The Associated Press. That could come by the end of the week and as early as later in the day in a process that could be completed by next month.

The development comes a day after the Pegulas were among at least three prospective ownership groups to submit binding bids to purchase the team.

The other groups to submit bids were one led by New York City real estate mogul Donald Trump and a Toronto group fronted by rocker Jon Bon Jovi.

The Pegulas have been regarded as front-runners to buy the Bills since first expressing interest in May. They made Buffalo their adopted home after buying the Sabres in 2011. They have a net worth of more than $3.5 billion and the support of local business leaders and public officials because of their commitment to keep the Bills in western New York.

Once identified as the prospective ownership candidates, the Pegulas would require approval from members of the NFL's finance committee, which is to meet next week. They would also have to go through an extensive background check by an NFL-contracted security firm.

The final step would be approval from three-quarters of the league's 31 other owners, which could come at league meetings next month. After that, NFL owners are next scheduled to meet in December.

Under NFL ownership rules, the Pegulas are allowed to own both the Bills and the Sabres because the franchises are in the same market.

The Bills are up for sale after Wilson, a Hall of Famer who founded the franchise, died in March. The franchise was last valued by Forbes at $935 million. But the sale price is expected to exceed $1 billion because NFL franchises rarely go on the block.

The Cleveland Browns were sold for close to $1.05 billion two years ago. The Miami Dolphins sold for an NFL-record $1.1 billion in 2009, but that deal also included their stadium.

U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer has been involved with the sale process to ensure the Bills stay in New York. Last week, Schumer expressed support of the Pegulas to at least 10 NFL owners.

During a stop in Buffalo on Monday, Schumer said he had conversations that day with both Terry Pegula and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

"We talked about the lay of the land," Schumer said. "I'm not going to get into details, but I believe that is enthusiastic about owning and keeping the Bills in Buffalo for generations."

Under a lease agreement reached in December 2012 with New York State and Erie County, the Bills are essentially bound to Ralph Wilson Stadium through the end of the 2019 season. There is a one-time out clause that would allow the team to break the agreement for just under $28.4 million in 2020.

The Pegulas have built a privately financed $172 million downtown hockey-entertainment complex called HarborCenter. Two people familiar with discussions have told the AP the Pegulas have had discussions regarding the building of a downtown football stadium.

Trump maintained his interest and had the deep pockets to buy the Bills, but he lost out once the price rose beyond what he considered reasonable.

Bon Jovi's group failed to address wide concern about plans to potentially relocate the franchise to Canada. The Toronto group was rounded out by Larry Tanenbaum, chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, and the Rogers family, which controls Rogers Communications.

In a letter to The Buffalo News last month, Bon Jovi outlined his objective "to carry on the legacy of Ralph Wilson and make the Bills successful in Buffalo." At no point, however, did he mention his Toronto partners or state a long-term commitment to keeping the team in Buffalo. The backlash grew so large that numerous Buffalo radio stations and bars stopped playing Bon Jovi's songs.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Thank the Matrix.
Sep 09th 2014
What the fuck
Sep 09th 2014
If the Bills are worth a billion, who isn't?
Sep 09th 2014
      But, like...
Sep 09th 2014
           Yeah, that part wasn't serious
Sep 09th 2014
                THERE ARE NO TRILLIONAIRES
Sep 09th 2014
                     Do you honestly think he is not aware of that? Have you no chill?
Sep 09th 2014
                     Okay, time to be serious
Sep 10th 2014
Well he is a committed owner with deep pockets
Sep 09th 2014
good shit.. they need to stay in Buffalo
Sep 10th 2014
I always thought....
Sep 10th 2014
I think the rule is the opposite
Sep 10th 2014
      you're right, thanks
Sep 10th 2014
      the writeup alludes to potentially having to transfer control of the sab...
Sep 10th 2014

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 12:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Thank the Matrix."
In response to Reply # 0

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 08:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "What the fuck"
In response to Reply # 0

>1. I guess this officially means that no NFL team will ever
>be sold for less than a billion. How soon before a team sells
>for trillions?
>

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 09:03 PM

3. "If the Bills are worth a billion, who isn't?"
In response to Reply # 2

A team in one of the league's smallest markets with an old and shitty stadium just went for a billion.

The Rams went for $750 in 2010, the Jags for $750 in 2011.

In the last two years, we've seen the Browns and Bills get sold for over a billion.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

VerbalK420
Member since Feb 28th 2003
143 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 09:29 PM

4. "But, like..."
In response to Reply # 3

you do know that a trillion is ten hundred (1,000) billion, right? I think we are a few years away from that.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 09:58 PM

5. "Yeah, that part wasn't serious"
In response to Reply # 4

There's a world of difference between billionaires and trillionaires.

------

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 10:29 PM

6. "THERE ARE NO TRILLIONAIRES"
In response to Reply # 5

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 10:38 PM

7. "Do you honestly think he is not aware of that? Have you no chill?"
In response to Reply # 6

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 09:29 AM

10. "Okay, time to be serious"
In response to Reply # 6

No NFL team is worth a trillion dollars, because no individual is worth that much. It's physically not possible.

------

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 10:57 PM

8. "Well he is a committed owner with deep pockets"
In response to Reply # 0

Honestly his time with the Sabres has been an ongoing disaster (horrible UFA investments, little success, recently a complete teardown of the team) but they are moving in the right direction now, I think. He has spent money on his staff there and I am sure he will spend it as an NFL owner.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32108 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 09:01 AM

9. "good shit.. they need to stay in Buffalo "
In response to Reply # 0

some of the best fans in the nfl...those cats deserve this

Rich_G
Charter member
6530 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 11:40 AM

11. "I always thought...."
In response to Reply # 0

the NFL had a rule in place that no owner could own another pro team in the same city. I see with this sale and the Pelicans purchase that is not the case.

I don't even love life no more, my niggas I just live it.... Jean Grae

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 02:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "I think the rule is the opposite"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed Sep-10-14 02:39 PM by Kungset

if you own another team, it HAS to be in the same city. if you want to own a team in another sport in a different city, that city can't have an NFL team.

Rich_G
Charter member
6530 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 02:48 PM

13. "you're right, thanks"
In response to Reply # 12

in reference to Paul Allen being able to buy the Seahawks while owner of the Trailblazers. Had he owned a team in a NFL city he couldn't acquire the Seahawks.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 06:36 PM

14. "the writeup alludes to potentially having to transfer control of the sab..."
In response to Reply # 12

it was kind of vague and, at any rate, i am sure he would just transfer it within the family

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2366166 Previous topic | Next topic