Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2359518

Subject: "Sun Godess Destroys the Devil" Previous topic | Next topic
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43359 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 07:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Sun Godess Destroys the Devil"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/raissman-countdown-bill-simmons-article-1.1905839?cid=bitly

Bill Simmons loses power play with Sage Steele, starts new hoops show for Grantland
Simmons was able to grease the skids for the 'NBA Countdown' departures of Magic Johnson and Michael Wilbon, and with trusty wing man Jalen Rose by his side, it looked like clear sailing ahead. Unfortunately for Simmons, no one predicted nature taking its course. Or Steele refusing to take Simmons' crap.
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, August 16, 2014, 1:32 PM A A A

SHARE THIS URL

ESPN can spin it however it wants, but Bill Simmons was forced out of 'NBA Countdown.'
JOE MURPHY/NBAE/GETTY IMAGES
ESPN can spin it however it wants, but Bill Simmons was forced out of 'NBA Countdown.'
Skilled and schooled in the art of face saving, ESPN suits buried the fact they bounced Bill Simmons from his “NBA Countdown” throne deep in a press release hailing his new Grantland hoops show.

The real headline here should have been this: Simmons loses power struggle to Sage Steele. ESPN to debut entirely new “Countdown” cast.

While it should, the former is not likely to happen. The latter did. When Simmons, the editor of Grantland, was riding high in the power department, he was able to grease the skids for the “Countdown” departures of Magic Johnson and Michael Wilbon.
With these two cats disposed of and Simmons’ trusty wing man, Jalen Rose, at his side, it looked like clear sailing ahead, that Simmons would keep setting the tone of the show and controlling it.

Unfortunately for Simmons, no one predicted nature taking its course. Or Steele refusing to take Simmons’ crap. That, and the fact the show still sucked, led to Simmons becoming the proud recipient of an exit visa. So let the spin continue. Those who still think it was actually Simmons who wanted out, well, don’t stop believing.

Of course you know that this would make him the first mouth to want off a nationally televised pregame show, which pays exceedingly well, too.

Let that sink in. Then flashback to the postgame show following Game 4 of the NBA Finals when Simmons’ “me” side was revealed and some suit realized this was never going to work out.

“Do I get to speak now? It’s been like 10 minutes,” Simmons whined on camera. Steele, seeing Simmons did not exactly take one for the team, reacted by just shaking her head. Were there any similar moments behind the scenes?

Someone at ESPN ultimately realized even though the show was awful, Steele was more valuable than Simmons. She anchored a program that was anchorless too long. Steele controlled the flow. Under her watch there were no prolonged soliloquies from a cast in need of tight editing.

Anyway, Simmons is gone and so is his power base. All signs point to the Bristol faculty sticking with “Countdown” incumbents Rose and Doug Collins. If Simmons’ seat is to be filled, Stephen A. Smith’s butt should do the filling.

Back in June, we advised ESPN to keep Steele and dump the rest of the cast. We even named a new lineup featuring SAS, Jon Barry and Tim Legler. It appears this is not likely to happen.

So maybe Simmons can give these fellas some run on his new show — where he won’t have to wait 10 minutes to share his basketball brilliance with the unwashed masses.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
espn countdown still gon suck tho.
Aug 16th 2014
^^^
Aug 16th 2014
Thank goodness. Dude was a negative on his best days
Aug 16th 2014
Cant they just pay the INside the NBA guys + TNT?
Aug 16th 2014
Nooo, ESPN is too straight laced for the TNT guys.
Aug 18th 2014
Doug ain't for no bullshit
Aug 16th 2014
      hes also boring as shit behind the camera
Aug 16th 2014
quiet as kept, The Starters are the best non-TNT basketball crew on TV
Aug 16th 2014
RE: quiet as kept, The Starters are the best non-TNT basketball crew on ...
Aug 16th 2014
it's the epitome white boy sh*t
Aug 16th 2014
      still better than Legler, Bowen, et. al. and MILES better than Simmons
Aug 16th 2014
      You forgot Zeke n.m.
Aug 16th 2014
      My fav is Brent Barry
Aug 17th 2014
           you right. I forgot about Brent. co-sign all this:
Aug 17th 2014
when it comes...
Aug 16th 2014
they recommended SAS Jon Barry and legler, lol
Aug 16th 2014
Legler is alright...Barry HATEs the Spurs, SAS is a fanboy
Aug 16th 2014
Like the magic/Wilbon thing, don't believe this
Aug 16th 2014
Yeah, he's getting his own hour long show in prime time
Aug 16th 2014
      RE: Yeah, he's getting his own hour long show in prime time
Aug 16th 2014
      yeah it's weird that the NYDN writer framed it that way...
Aug 17th 2014
      im sure it will be just as great as nba countdown
Aug 17th 2014
Amazing how trash all of their NBA shows are. Good riddance.
Aug 17th 2014
hate how they just played jalen like a minion
Aug 17th 2014
I'm confused, have decided to not have an opinion.
Aug 17th 2014

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85121 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 08:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "espn countdown still gon suck tho."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 08:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 1

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 08:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Thank goodness. Dude was a negative on his best days "
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Aug-16-14 08:19 PM by LA2Philly

I'd be surprised if Collins wasn't involved in it as well. I can count on one hand the number of times I saw Collins actually laugh at Simmons or engage him sincerely.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

ShawndmeSlanted
43359 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 08:32 PM

3. "Cant they just pay the INside the NBA guys + TNT?"
In response to Reply # 2

get them on every night?

Or go get the NBATV bsquad- Like Cwebb.

I mean its not like they run the show on the same night. They have their respective nigfhts via teh tv deal.

Chuck, Shaq, and Kenny prolly wouldnt want to be on other nights though

But yea good ratings for the show helps the whole NBA.

But really how much do those guys help.

Its not like I wont watch a marquee matchup on ESPN just cause Simmons is or any other bum I dont watch is on. I just use something called a remote to change the channel.

---

85SOUTH
Member since Mar 09th 2003
6625 posts
Mon Aug-18-14 08:44 AM

25. "Nooo, ESPN is too straight laced for the TNT guys. "
In response to Reply # 3

If by some miracle they were able to get the TNT crew, they would be neutered beyond recognition.
This is all avoiding the obvious, Simmons is just not magnetic on TV. He's whiny/snarky at his worst and vanilla at his best...and he has a punchable face/voice combo.

They should try Sage, Zeke, Doug, Jalen.

☻☻☻☻☻☻☻

not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4...

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 08:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Doug ain't for no bullshit"
In response to Reply # 2

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

ShawndmeSlanted
43359 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 08:57 PM

8. "hes also boring as shit behind the camera"
In response to Reply # 4

---

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 08:49 PM

5. "quiet as kept, The Starters are the best non-TNT basketball crew on TV"
In response to Reply # 0

NBAtv did it right, bought into the right talent. ESPN sucks with everyone they have. Even the old insane Gary Payton NBAtv highlight shows were more entertaining than anything ESPN has done -- either their 30 minute show, their Countdown crap, their Wednesday look-in show or whatever with the rotating cast of guys who are boring and I just don't care about.

I have no idea who The Starters are or why they're allowed to talk about basketball for money, but they're interesting and entertaining in a way that none of ESPN guys' are. We all know Inside is the gold standard. The rest should be looking for their own lane, like NBAtv found...

HOPE!

ShawndmeSlanted
43359 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 08:57 PM

7. "RE: quiet as kept, The Starters are the best non-TNT basketball crew on ..."
In response to Reply # 5

they had their own podcast called the basketball jones run via Canada's yahoo- the Score.

It was a good daily podcast that i listened to pretty regularly for awhile. Its fun but theyre kinda kitschy camp humor.

Reminds me of OKS whit e posters.

Either way it was the best podcast of its kind that ever existed. that is a podcast that covered teh NBA daily- Monday through Friday.

---

dEs
Member since Sep 01st 2006
34879 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 09:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "it's the epitome white boy sh*t"
In response to Reply # 5

best crew is actually Matt Winer/Vince Cellini + Steve Smith/Dennis Scott (NBA Gametime)

_____

shann.email/inbox.pls.

celery77
25307 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 09:12 PM

10. "still better than Legler, Bowen, et. al. and MILES better than Simmons"
In response to Reply # 9

Only NBA crew that talks about non-front-running teams and keeps me interested, too.

Although the NBA Gametime guys are good that you named, move them over to ESPN Countdown and I would be just as bored. Not much personality, only interesting when they can actually break down the entire league, not just the superstars like ESPN or TNT does.

HOPE!

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 09:32 PM

11. "You forgot Zeke n.m."
In response to Reply # 9

>best crew is actually Matt Winer/Vince Cellini + Steve
>Smith/Dennis Scott (NBA Gametime)

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sun Aug-17-14 12:09 AM

18. "My fav is Brent Barry "
In response to Reply # 9

Dude is extremely articulate and sharp, utilizes a lot of detailed player insight and is pretty damn funny too.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

dEs
Member since Sep 01st 2006
34879 posts
Sun Aug-17-14 04:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "you right. I forgot about Brent. co-sign all this:"
In response to Reply # 18

>Dude is extremely articulate and sharp, utilizes a lot of
>detailed player insight and is pretty damn funny too.

_____

shann.email/inbox.pls.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 09:59 PM

12. "when it comes..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Aug-16-14 10:00 PM by murph71

to writing Bill is worth the hype. And I can listen to him on some comic relief shit...But I can't fuck with him being the main guy...He's too grating and he thinks way too much of himself...

As for Sage, I can "deal" with her...But her political/social views always creep up in the back of my mind when I listen to her...

I wonder who else they are going to bring on...?

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9420 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 10:18 PM

13. "they recommended SAS Jon Barry and legler, lol"
In response to Reply # 0

That shit always sucked though, I never watched

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 10:23 PM

14. "Legler is alright...Barry HATEs the Spurs, SAS is a fanboy"
In response to Reply # 13

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 10:34 PM

15. "Like the magic/Wilbon thing, don't believe this"
In response to Reply # 0

Simmons did countdown to promote grantland at its inception and has talked at length how he doesn't love the grind of it.

Oh, and like everyone else, I'm completely down with this. Sage Steele is a true tv professional, and Simmons schtick, which I generally like, doesn't work on TV.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 10:38 PM

16. "Yeah, he's getting his own hour long show in prime time"
In response to Reply # 15

With the name of the website he has equity in in the title of the show. Somehow I don't think he lost power play

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/bill-simmons-espn-tv-show

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

absence
Charter member
1645 posts
Sat Aug-16-14 11:14 PM

17. "RE: Yeah, he's getting his own hour long show in prime time"
In response to Reply # 16

Ha. That's almost the exact opposite of losing a power struggle.

------------------------------

-----------------------------

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Sun Aug-17-14 04:46 PM

24. "yeah it's weird that the NYDN writer framed it that way..."
In response to Reply # 17

clearly some bias there

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9420 posts
Sun Aug-17-14 03:27 PM

21. "im sure it will be just as great as nba countdown"
In response to Reply # 16

And grantland

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Sun Aug-17-14 09:20 AM

19. "Amazing how trash all of their NBA shows are. Good riddance."
In response to Reply # 0

Would anybody really put Gary Payton on (nonpremium) cable multiple times a week tho lol

TNT/NBATV have set the bar mighty high.

realityrap
Member since Sep 21st 2005
8405 posts
Sun Aug-17-14 10:08 AM

20. "hate how they just played jalen like a minion "
In response to Reply # 0

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sun Aug-17-14 03:39 PM

22. "I'm confused, have decided to not have an opinion. "
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2359518 Previous topic | Next topic