Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2357990

Subject: "Howard & Harden Make Fast Food Run; Exclude Teammates! " Previous topic | Next topic
Slugger_Onions
Member since Mar 08th 2010
1557 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 01:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Howard & Harden Make Fast Food Run; Exclude Teammates! "

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2156716-dwight-howard-and-james-harden-eat-separately-from-houston-rockets-teammates

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this isnt news
Aug 08th 2014
This ain't news, but they seem like some dickheads though.
Aug 08th 2014
RE: this isnt news
Aug 08th 2014
Bet the counter girl always thinks the supersized order is for
Aug 08th 2014
man, this makes me nostalgic for when we hated this hard on Kobe
Aug 08th 2014
it's funny to see the scrambling for a new 'Kobe'
Aug 08th 2014
they need to make noise in this years playoffs
Aug 08th 2014
overblown
Aug 08th 2014
lolz...
Aug 08th 2014
shit is dumb. niggs went on a Frenchys run but didnt take orders
Aug 08th 2014
RE: shit is dumb. niggs went on a Frenchys run but didnt take orders
Aug 08th 2014
      true. u do have a point.
Aug 08th 2014
LMAO!
Aug 08th 2014
Overblown, but how does Howard eat fast food and look like that?
Aug 08th 2014
not that overblown at all. it's legit shocking.
Aug 08th 2014
athletic guy still in his 20's his metabolism is probably through the...
Aug 08th 2014
Human science cannot explain Dwight Howard's physique
Aug 08th 2014
      Sure it can (link):
Aug 08th 2014
i know they be fucking whataburger UP!
Aug 08th 2014
nothing special
Aug 08th 2014
you didnt get the bbq chicken strip sandwich obviously
Aug 08th 2014
      *notes for next trip to texas*
Aug 09th 2014
People from Austin kept pronouncing it Waterburger and it was weird.
Aug 08th 2014
i called it waterburger for the first 12 years of my life
Aug 09th 2014
That is how it's pronounced. Nm
Aug 09th 2014
Lol at thinking that's an Austin thing, go to east Texas
Aug 10th 2014
      I've only been to Austin.
Aug 10th 2014
fries, pies and sweet tea
Aug 08th 2014
i'd say something but shawn might ask me to close my pussy or whatever
Aug 08th 2014
^
Aug 09th 2014
you get knocked out in the first round and this shit becomes news
Aug 09th 2014
My dog Slugger with the A+ reporting
Aug 09th 2014
Outside of that Nelly thread, this shit has no relevance whatsoever
Aug 09th 2014

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 01:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this isnt news"
In response to Reply # 0

FOH

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 01:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "This ain't news, but they seem like some dickheads though. "
In response to Reply # 1

Them niggaz ain't winning shit anytime soon.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Slugger_Onions
1557 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 02:13 PM

7. "RE: this isnt news"
In response to Reply # 1

>FOH

this is hard hitting middle of the summer journalism

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 01:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Bet the counter girl always thinks the supersized order is for"
In response to Reply # 0

Dwight.

Then they have to trade trays.

That's awkward.

i still blame hip-hop.

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 01:46 PM

4. "man, this makes me nostalgic for when we hated this hard on Kobe"
In response to Reply # 0

don't get me wrong, this emerging thread of Dwight and especially Harden is fun, too, but until Parsons or Lin make a choreographed dance video or something calling them out, it still won't touch the golden days of Kobe hate.

Stupid crippling injury, stupid old Kobe being too open and frank in the media, shit just isn't the same with these new guys...

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "it's funny to see the scrambling for a new 'Kobe'"
In response to Reply # 4

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 01:51 PM

5. "they need to make noise in this years playoffs "
In response to Reply # 0

or Moreyites get fucking fried

now that it's becoming apparent that these cats ain't winning shit anytime soon
i don't want all these lil narrative tidbits planted to explain away why they might be underachieving
foh

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43359 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 02:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "overblown"
In response to Reply # 0

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 02:13 PM

8. "lolz..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2299321&mesg_id=2299321&listing_type=search#2299321

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 02:23 PM

9. "shit is dumb. niggs went on a Frenchys run but didnt take orders"
In response to Reply # 0

Slugger_Onions
1557 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 02:29 PM

11. "RE: shit is dumb. niggs went on a Frenchys run but didnt take orders"
In response to Reply # 9

Poor leadership. LeBron would have taken orders and brought back extra napkins

deejboram
25755 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 05:10 PM

23. "true. u do have a point."
In response to Reply # 11

but i think that woulda been LJ pr person thinkin
and waitin with a gaggle of reporters to take notice

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 02:24 PM

10. "LMAO!"
In response to Reply # 0

This is nothing but like I said, the Rockets will never win a title on the shoulders of Harden and Howard.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 02:58 PM

13. "Overblown, but how does Howard eat fast food and look like that?"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean Harden looks like he probably would stop by Carls Jr after practice for a Western Bacon and criss cut fries, but Doowight? I mean I know the guy spends all day running around but still.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15319 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 03:33 PM

15. "not that overblown at all. it's legit shocking."
In response to Reply # 13

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/prior-doctor-intervention-dwight-howard-eating-equivalent-24-215009519--nba.html

Houston Rockets center Dwight Howard was hit with a shocking diagnosis during his lone season with the Los Angeles Lakers last year. According to a physician working with the team’s medical staff, Howard was consuming “the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day” because of all the candy and glucose-rich carbonated soda he was drinking.

Dr. Cate Shanahan, in a fascinating feature by CBS Sports’ Ken Berger, described her shock at Howard’s alarming levels of glucose in his system, telling CBS that she became concerned because Howard’s sluggish play and blood work “reminded me of patients who have pre-diabetes and neurological problems because of how sugar impacts the nervous system.” A subsequent blood test revealed frightening amounts of glucose in his system.

And before you dump on the often immature Howard for continuing to gorge on sweets and soda well into his mid-to-late 20s, have some compassion and understand that Dwight showed all the signs of a sugar addict, someone who needed help more than he needed a lock on the pantry drawer. From Berger’s report:

Howard was struggling to return to form after back surgery the previous spring, and was wrestling with the enormous pressure of whether to re-sign with the Lakers as a free agent. Cate Shanahan believed his performance and recovery were being seriously compromised by his poor diet. She saw the telltale signs of sugar addiction -- spikes in energy followed by crashes and erratic motor skills that were indicative of nerves misfiring.
"I said, 'I can't live this way because it's not healthy to have this high level of sugar in me,' " Howard said. "I just made a commitment."
Like an addict, Howard had candy and sugary drinks stashed everywhere -- from his kitchen cabinets to a drawer next to his bed to the backpack he toted to games and practices. He agreed to get rid of it all and start over.

Within weeks of starting the program, Howard said his blood-glucose levels declined 80 percent. After increasing his consumption of healthy fats and decreasing processed carbs -- "No bread," Howard said -- all the blood markers that are indicative of heart health went in the right direction, too. After some initial lethargy during the detox phase, Howard said his endurance improved and his energy levels became more consistent. His body-fat percentage -- hovering around 5-6 percent his entire career -- dropped to 3 percent, he said.
"I would always tell how bad I wanted to get back to being Superman," Howard said. "Their response was, 'Well, you have to sacrifice something.' "
You might recall an interview with Howard that ESPN Los Angeles’ Ramona Shelburne released midway through last season, apparently soon after he attempted to overcome his issues with the sweet stuff:

Howard said getting some extra rest over the All-Star break helped, as has a new diet he started over the break.
"I'm just making sure I don't eat as much candy and sugar so I can get in good shape," he said. "Back when I was able to play 48 minutes, I could eat anything. But now I can't."
Just how big of a candy lover is he?
"Am I a big candy person? That's an understatement," he joked. "My pantry is full of candy. Skittles just sent me 30 pounds of Skittles. I have a nightstand full of every candy you could think of. Skittles, blow pops, Laffy Taffy, Reese's Pieces, Kit Kats, all types of candy was in the drawer. They had to clear it out."
(This also, unfortunately, reminds of just why branding and business and seeking out any sort of endorsement hook for a column fodder can also leave you looking soulless and uncaring however many years later, as Darren Rovell is hopefully finding out upon looking back to the full on advertisement Rovell gave a major candy conglomerate in 2011:

The candy brand, owned by Wrigley, made a custom pinball machine featuring images of the Orlando Magic center accompanied by pictures of the candy. A slot in the front of the machine has room for about 30 packs of Skittles.
In what might be one of the most savvy moves in marketing today, Wrigley executives find its biggest, most high profile Skittles lovers and make custom dispensing machines for them.

Before he goes out on the court for each game, Howard says he pops a couple Skittles in his mouth, along with some popcorn ("Like I'm going to see a show," he says) and washes it down with some Gatorade.
Darren Rovell, or anyone else, hears this and doesn’t bother to say anything? Because Dwight Howard has huge guns? Bloody hell.)

It’s good to see that Howard has attempted to overcome his habits, because for someone that appeared to be the model of NBA health throughout his first eight seasons in Orlando, it’s somewhat shocking and more than a little concerning that he was working with such dangerously high levels of glucose in his system, and a shockingly-poor health and fitness support system in place. It’s a telling reflection on the insidious nature of corporation-designed candy and soda that someone can be in such pitch-perfect shape externally and still be suffering from the early signs of a full-blown chemical addiction.

Because these things aren’t made of pure sugar anymore. These are chemicals, designed to grab and hook.

It’s also telling that the doctor chose to use the Hershey bar as a go-to source for comparison’s sake, because amongst Hershey’s neighbors in the candy aisle, the classic confection is actually a relative lightweight. Because it’s pure chocolate, and not some unholy amalgamation of processed sugars (via caramel, nougat, peanut butter, or gummy-formed glucose-bomb), it actually ranks far down the list in terms of calories per single serving. This also allows for Dr. Shanahan to pump a few more candy bars into that “you’re eating the equivalent of …” diagnosis.

Which is good, because it influenced Dwight to change his ways. The guy can slap the top of the backboard even after jumping off of his wrong foot, but it hardly matters if his system is being polluted by all the wrong foods. This change in consumption doesn’t directly compare with Denver Nuggets coach Brian Shaw eliminating fast food from his locker room before games – this was something significantly more serious and dangerous.

Go the smart-aleck route all you want in reaction, especially in light of the embarrassing 2012 Orlando Magic account about how they plied Dwight to stay with the team with “all his favorite foods and candies,” but this is some serious stuff. And some pretty damning indictments of all the types that helped enhance the puffed-up Dwight Howard brand – from former trainers to teammates to journalists to team executives and owners.

At the end of the day, this is on Dwight. Still, it took nearly a decade of NBA play to discover and attempt to stop what this guy was doing to his body?

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 03:44 PM

16. "athletic guy still in his 20's his metabolism is probably through the..."

its not really that hard to believe

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 04:10 PM

17. "Human science cannot explain Dwight Howard's physique"

I swear that dude is a member of some advanced species.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43758 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 04:31 PM

20. "Sure it can (link):"
In response to Reply # 17

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/human-growth-hormone-hgh

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 03:33 PM

14. "i know they be fucking whataburger UP!"
In response to Reply # 0

yall east coast dudes dont even know abt all that.

damn.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 04:12 PM

18. "nothing special "
In response to Reply # 14

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130913053720/kingofthehill/images/4/45/W4890.png

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 04:31 PM

19. "you didnt get the bbq chicken strip sandwich obviously"
In response to Reply # 18

that shit is just heart clogging euphoria

-----------------------------------------

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Aug-09-14 04:03 PM

25. "*notes for next trip to texas*"
In response to Reply # 19

Ryan M
43758 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 04:41 PM

21. "People from Austin kept pronouncing it Waterburger and it was weird."

17x NBA Champions

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sat Aug-09-14 04:38 PM

27. "i called it waterburger for the first 12 years of my life "
In response to Reply # 21

ha

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sat Aug-09-14 04:57 PM

29. "That is how it's pronounced. Nm "

does it really matter?

vote for bin: http://tinyurl.com/qz8zep5

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Sun Aug-10-14 02:25 AM

32. "Lol at thinking that's an Austin thing, go to east Texas "

Ryan M
43758 posts
Sun Aug-10-14 12:57 PM

33. "I've only been to Austin. "
In response to Reply # 32

Not likely I'll go anywhere else in Texas, quite frankly.

17x NBA Champions

deejboram
25755 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 05:13 PM

24. "fries, pies and sweet tea"

i think im off they burgers for now
i used to get a double whataburger jr no onions on texas toast

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Fri Aug-08-14 04:49 PM

22. "i'd say something but shawn might ask me to close my pussy or whatever"
In response to Reply # 0

can i get an explanation plz?

---

But hell, what do I know?

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Sat Aug-09-14 05:31 PM

30. "^"
In response to Reply # 22

---

But hell, what do I know?

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Aug-09-14 04:04 PM

26. "you get knocked out in the first round and this shit becomes news"
In response to Reply # 0

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Sat Aug-09-14 04:38 PM

28. "My dog Slugger with the A+ reporting"
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44922 posts
Sat Aug-09-14 06:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
31. "Outside of that Nelly thread, this shit has no relevance whatsoever"
In response to Reply # 0

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2357990 Previous topic | Next topic