Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2353225

Subject: "MLB this week: The Second Half " Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 07:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"MLB this week: The Second Half "

So, party people...All-Star week has come and gone. What' up? My Braves, my Braves...what am I gonna do with my Braves?? Win 9, lose 4, win 3, lose 6. I knew it would be a roller-coaster season when we lost half the rotation to Tommy John in like April. They battle, though. The Angels are starting to look scary. Trout is just crazy and while Albert is not first 10 years Albert...he is more than formidable at the plate. LOVE how he and Trout got at Fernando Rodney yesterday with the bow and arrow shit!! That AL West race is gonna be FUN. Cards/Dodgers is officially a rivalry (if it wasn't before). I would pick last nights game to go to...the one where they lose. The Rays are playing here Tues/Wed...apparently, yesterday David Price tweeted out pics of him at the ballpark. Now everyone is running with the "Cardinals trade for Price" meme. I've heard from some guys here REALLY in the know that the Cards are gonna grab a "big name". Price, Tulo, Stanton??

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I HATE the All-Star break
Jul 21st 2014
I actively root for Joe Nathan...
Jul 21st 2014
      Hes been terrible for about a season now
Jul 21st 2014
MLB EXTRA INNINGS FREE THIS WEEK ON DIRECTV
Jul 21st 2014
I like Price with the Rays...
Jul 21st 2014
The A's are still the best in the majors
Jul 21st 2014
Is Odrisamer Despaigne the real deal?
Jul 21st 2014
Marcus Stroman: Opening Dat Ether Can
Jul 21st 2014
Yep
Jul 21st 2014
If the M's don't trade for someone big...
Jul 21st 2014
damn, Rangers are in the middle of a 5-25 skid?
Jul 21st 2014
Lol...y'all see that Dodgers/Pirates game...or at least the highlights?
Jul 22nd 2014
Moose Tacos!!! guess that stint in the minors did him some good
Jul 22nd 2014
Dat Soria.
Jul 24th 2014
The Rays are hot. We're part of the playoff battle. (swipe)
Jul 24th 2014

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66720 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 08:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I HATE the All-Star break "
In response to Reply # 0

I see the Tigers makin at least 2 moves. We need a bat and a bullpen arm or 10.

I cannot explain how much anger huston street suceeding gives me, while Nathans ERA is just shy of 7.

I've said the tigers should go get Price, move Smyly to the bullpen and kim but i guess thats a dream.

Hoping Ausmus wont pull a Leyland and wait till the last week of the season to win the worst division in baseball.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 08:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I actively root for Joe Nathan..."
In response to Reply # 1

don't get why he's got like a 6.23 ERA, though. His stuff looked nasty yesterday. Will Tory Hunter ever get old?

Ceej
66720 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 08:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Hes been terrible for about a season now"
In response to Reply # 2

> Tory Hunter ever get old?

He has flashes that you'll see on SC but for the most part he has been terrible in both halves of the inning

Ceej
66720 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 08:58 AM

4. "MLB EXTRA INNINGS FREE THIS WEEK ON DIRECTV"
In response to Reply # 0

Youre welcome

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22276 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 11:46 AM

5. "I like Price with the Rays..."
In response to Reply # 0

Even with the Rays heating up right now, I don't think will help us hold onto him either. But if we can't afford him, we better clean up in whatever trade we make for him.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44688 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 12:20 PM

6. "The A's are still the best in the majors"
In response to Reply # 0

Took 2 out of 3 against the Orioles. Hitting still looks damn good, and the pitching is pretty close to unfuckwitable.

The Angels have gotten hot beating up the Astros, Rangers, Twins, and the White Sox. Well, now our next nine games are against the Rangers and the Astros. And our only real tough road trip are is against the Royals and the Braves in a few weeks. We've been all the tough East Coast and central teams on the road already. I'm pretty confident.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Rick Fox Jr
Member since Feb 28th 2003
12029 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 12:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Is Odrisamer Despaigne the real deal?"
In response to Reply # 0

Or is it just a matter of time?

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 12:50 PM

8. "Marcus Stroman: Opening Dat Ether Can"
In response to Reply # 0

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 01:10 PM

10. "Yep"
In response to Reply # 8

him and Hutch look like the real deal, Sanchez might pitch out of the bullpen with Morrow later on in the season

I wonder if anyone would trade for Reyes?

<-Fear Ameer

PROMO
Charter member
30822 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 12:55 PM

9. "If the M's don't trade for someone big..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-21-14 12:56 PM by PROMO

mean David Price or whatever the biggest bat they can get, they won't be able to hold the last wildcard.

That said, at this point I'm down for trading Taijuan Walker & James Paxton for Price and Ben Zobrist. Zobrist can be a needed bat and we already have the best rotation by the numbers in the AL, so obvious Price at Safeco just heightens that.

I mean, really, I'd rather trade those pitchers for someone like Tulo or Stanton but it seems like those guys aren't on the block of late.

Ultimately, I just want the M's to spend some fucking money in the long run. Cano was a start but there needs to be more.

will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Mon Jul-21-14 04:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "damn, Rangers are in the middle of a 5-25 skid?"
In response to Reply # 0

that is pretty epic

--------

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Tue Jul-22-14 09:10 PM

12. "Lol...y'all see that Dodgers/Pirates game...or at least the highlights? "
In response to Reply # 0

Iono...Dodgers stay involved in games with hit batters.

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Tue Jul-22-14 11:03 PM

13. "Moose Tacos!!! guess that stint in the minors did him some good"
In response to Reply # 0

love them KC lefties.., Moose Tacos, Gordon, Butler , and Hosmer

got me much money this year

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Ceej
66720 posts
Thu Jul-24-14 06:59 AM

14. "Dat Soria. "
In response to Reply # 0

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22276 posts
Thu Jul-24-14 08:07 AM

15. "The Rays are hot. We're part of the playoff battle. (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

The Rays have won 16 of 20 and 25 of 36 to improve to 49-53. We're 4.5 games out of the 2nd wild card spot right now. We still got a long way to go but I like that we clawed our way back into contention for a playoff spot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/49998/rays-long-odds-comeback-adds-latest-win

On June 9, the Tampa Bay Rays entered play with a record of 24-40. Earlier that day the team's eccentric manager, Joe Maddon, unleashed Bobby Henry, a Seminole medicine man who throws turtles in the air hoping to anger the gods into making it rain, on Tropicana Field in an effort to chase away the bad vibes. Shortly after Henry was done, the Rays lost to the Seattle Mariners 3-0. They lost the next night too, this time 1-0 to the St. Louis Cardinals. It was their 14th loss in 15 games.

Sitting at 24-42 on June 11, the Rays were 15 games behind in the American League East and 11 games out of the second wild-card slot. That evening they fell behind the Cardinals 3-0 and appeared to be on the fast track to another loss.

Perhaps baseball gods are slower to react than the ones who bring rain, but something awoke the Rays’ bats in the bottom of the fourth inning. The offense put together four runs on four hits and two walks to take the lead. They would add on two more runs en route to a 6-3 victory.

Since then, the Rays have been one of the best teams in baseball, with a 24-11 record since June 11. The run has taken them from the worst team in baseball to 4 1/2 games behind the Seattle Mariners in the wild-card chase. The much-maligned offense has produced the third-best team OPS over the stretch without much in the way of star power. Reigning American League Rookie of the Year Wil Myers has been sidelined with a fractured wrist while their franchise player, Evan Longoria, is having his worst season at the plate. In their stead have been players like Logan Forsythe -- traded for this offseason -- and Kevin Kiermaier, a 31st-round pick in the 2010 draft. The latter has been particularly impressive, hitting .306/.360/.553 in 53 games.

The Rays' pitching staff also has picked it up, holding teams to around three runs a game while striking out more batters than any other club in baseball. David Price, the subject of constant trade rumors, has been the tip of the spear. The ace has allowed just three earned run in 31 2/3 innings this month. Any plans to trade Price and/or Ben Zobrist have been put on hold, at least temporarily.

On Wednesday night, the Rays met the same Cardinals team they faced when they started to turn things around. This time, Tampa Bay entered the game on a six-game winning streak and winners of 15 of their last 18, including a 7-2 victory over St. Louis on Tuesday.

Alex Cobb has been one of the Rays' best pitchers since joining the rotation full-time in 2013, but oddly enough, he has not been much of a factor during the team's resurgence. In his last five starts coming into Wednesday's game, he carried an ERA above 5.00 and was averaging less than six innings per start.

Locking horns with Lance Lynn, Cobb turned a much better performance on Wednesday. He tossed seven shutout innings while scattering five hits and striking out 10 batters without issuing a walk. The 26-year-old used his fastball and curveball to get ahead of the Cardinals' hitters before turning to his off-speed pitch to end plate appearances. The split-change was responsible for 14 of the 20 outs he recorded (a caught stealing was the 21st), including seven of the 10 strikeouts. St. Louis swung at the pitch a combined 33 times and came up empty on 13 of those swings.

Pitching in a National League park, Cobb was afforded the rare opportunity to contribute offensively. With Yunel Escobar on second base in the second inning, the right-handed pitcher lined an RBI double down the right-field line. It was his first career hit and run batted in. It also turned out to be the game winner.

Cobb was hit by a pitch on his right elbow in his second at-bat. After crumbling to the ground in pain and a lengthy check by team trainer Ron Porterfield, he remained in the game. He took the mound in the bottom half of the fourth inning and didn't miss a beat.

Brad Boxberger relieved Cobb in the eighth inning before passing the baton to the club's new-but-not-officially closer Jake McGee. The righty-lefty tandem affectionately known as "Jake in the Box" has become one of the most potent bullpen duos over the past month. No reliever in the AL posted a higher percentage of strikeouts than Boxberger over the past six weeks (47.1 percent); he added two more punchouts Wednesday. Not far behind him is McGee, the owner of a 99 mph fastball that he commands with ease, who struck out the side in the ninth inning to preserve the shutout.

Even with the current run, the Rays' odds of making the playoffs are long. Aside from still being four games under .500, they are in heavy competition for a postseason spot in a crowded middle of the pack with upwards of six teams vying for one of two spots not held by the Oakland A's, Los Angeles Angels or Detroit Tigers.

But after a clean 5-0 road trip to start the second half of the season, Tampa Bay returns home this weekend for a three-game set with a wild-card competitor and division rival: the Boston Red Sox. Although all of the games will be played under the cover of Tropicana Field's roof, perhaps another visit from the rain man is in order.

Tommy Rancel blogs about the Tampa Bay Rays at the SweetSpot network affiliate The Process Report. You can follow him on Twitter at @TRancel.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2353225 Previous topic | Next topic