Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2316749

Subject: "(>^_^)-[ !!The Beautiful Sixers 2014 Off-Season Post!! ]-(^o^\)" Previous topic | Next topic
mtbatol
Member since May 22nd 2002
19788 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 05:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"(>^_^)-[ !!The Beautiful Sixers 2014 Off-Season Post!! ]-(^o^\)"

The haters of the tank whose ignorance of the reality that is playoff purgatory & value of expiring contracts, cast ye stones against the iron curtains that makes up our shield.

For the 5 score men who hath tried on a Sixers jersey during this tumultuous season we hath found at least 3 good lads who shall be deemed worthy enough to march forward with us! And this doesn't even include our good Sir Noel who shall be our brother down in the trenches blessed be his knee in good time.

Aye, we have collected and kept our gold & silver for the fools gold that was Sir Turner and Hawes. We made the hard sacrifice of dealing away Jrue but we shall plunder the House of Pelicans for a precious pick, and with our pick we will build a group?

Nay, we shall build a team? Nay.. we shall build a dynasty?

Nay...

WE SHALL BUILD A KINGDOM!! THE KINGDOM THAT SHALL HAVE A FOUNDATION THAT IS STRONG! A KINGDOM THAT WON'T RULE OVER YOUR KINGDOM NEXT YEAR, BUT WILL IN TWO OR THREE!!!

AS WE LOOK THROUGH THE FINE CANDIDATES THAT LEAVES FROM THEIR BIRDS NEST.. WHETHER IT'S LORD WIGGINS OR LORD PARKER, WE SHALL BUILD A TEAM OF MARKSMEN PERHAPS LED BY LORD MCDERMONT! A KINGDOM OF ATHLETIC ONE-ON-ONE DUELSMEN!

!!!WE SHALL BE A KINGDOM THAT SHALL REIGN SUPREME BY 2016 A.D.!!!

(Sorry, binging through Game of Thrones right now but yeah... hyped about this offseason for obvious reasons)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
let's wait until the lottery balls bounce
Apr 19th 2014
I GOT YO BALLS RIGHT HERE, HATER!! >:O
Apr 19th 2014
yeah i can see lakers getting no. 1 and us getting no. 4
Apr 20th 2014
Wiggins is coming
Apr 19th 2014
Kang will love mentoring him
Apr 19th 2014
      ...in a Sixers uniform ;)
Apr 20th 2014
Cant wait
Apr 19th 2014
Keep Sims, Young, Wroten, Varnado, MCW (duh) and Thompson
Apr 19th 2014
King of the Lions Fans gonna find some potholes in his lawn I see
Apr 19th 2014
I can now see how inspired by "Game of Thrones" he is now...
Apr 19th 2014
I swear to God, if they don't do something miraculous this offseason
Apr 19th 2014
Dear Joshua Harris, Please Stop Speaking For This Franchise In Public.
Apr 21st 2014
Lol. He meant well
Apr 21st 2014
no post about Nerlens ballin?!?
Jul 07th 2014
He can elevate, needs a little time to get some more timing on his jump
Jul 07th 2014
Legit Question: What IS He?
Jul 07th 2014
      He's a 5, Embiid would be the stretch four because he can actually shoot
Jul 07th 2014
      Theo Ratliff
Jul 07th 2014
           His ceiling is far higher than Theo. And I like Theo.
Jul 07th 2014
14pts, 9rebs, and 5blks in the 2nd of a back to back
Jul 10th 2014
...since I'm here, WTF is all this Jeremy Lin talk?
Jul 07th 2014
whaddaya gimme to take the contract? (c) bob clarke
Jul 07th 2014
      $15M in salary and $8M against the cap for a late first rounder?
Jul 07th 2014
           What is hard to get about it?
Jul 07th 2014
           uh, we NEED to add salary. we get at least one pick, possibly more
Jul 07th 2014
           have you seen philly's salaries versus what's available?
Jul 07th 2014
                ^^^ exactly, and for bomb and charlie too...
Jul 08th 2014
                     lol, he was not agreeing with you, you fucking dummy
Jul 08th 2014
                          First off, Fuck You.
Jul 08th 2014
                               josh harris is a banker. he's going keep expenses low while
Jul 08th 2014
                               god you are dumber than a bag of bricks with the smart ones picked out
Jul 08th 2014
                                    alot of moves being made, still haven't heard the 6ers name anywhere
Jul 10th 2014
                                         again, i ask you, of the available players, who should philly pursue?
Jul 10th 2014
                                         Dude, what on earth are you griping about here?
Jul 10th 2014
                                              Piss on my head and tell me it's raining
Jul 11th 2014
                                                   RE: Piss on my head and tell me it's raining
Jul 11th 2014
                                                   I was thinking about what HOU was before they got Harden
Jul 11th 2014
                                                   Lotta long & wrong there
Jul 12th 2014
                                                        Yeah, so back to what I was saying
Jul 16th 2014
                                                             Why would we pay for two players their own teams didn't deem worth keepi...
Jul 16th 2014
                                                             uh, Lance didn't want 5 years in IND, which is what they offered
Jul 17th 2014
                                                                  there was really no need for us to go chasing Lance Stevenson
Jul 18th 2014
                                                             27 other teams had little to no interest in Lance, Parsons overpaid
Jul 17th 2014
                                                                  uh, we're going to HAVE TO pay somebody, no?
Jul 17th 2014
                                                                       Do we have to pay them for multiple years though?
Jul 19th 2014
I don't get the repugnance toward delayed ETAs
Jul 07th 2014
FWIW, I wanted the Sixers to draft Julius Randle
Jul 08th 2014
nerlens good, i'm already excited for next season
Jul 10th 2014
Pretty much
Jul 10th 2014
Yup, I've actually DVR-d & watched every summer league game Nerlens has ...
Jul 11th 2014
RE: nerlens good, i'm already excited for next season
Jul 11th 2014
Flip Saunders wanna win now? LET'S HELP FLIP
Jul 11th 2014
RE: Flip Saunders wanna win now? LET'S HELP FLIP
Jul 11th 2014
      can't, i tried that
Jul 11th 2014
           RE: can't, i tried that
Jul 11th 2014
HINKE DOGG HANGS DAT FIRST BANNER
Jul 11th 2014
5 games in summer league, Noel already hobbled. I'm out for 14'-15'
Jul 18th 2014
Sprained ankle...
Jul 18th 2014
lol, no he isn't, you sound sillier than Brent Barry & dude doing PBP
Jul 18th 2014
the tank needs soldiers, not whiners, son. check yourself
Aug 11th 2014
We ARE gonna get AB for Thad... right?
Aug 11th 2014
mcw, kj, ab, nerlens=fun ass team
Aug 11th 2014
I don't even understand why Minnesota is interested in Thad
Aug 11th 2014
if you weren't down with the tank last year, you can't ever root for us
Aug 11th 2014
      LOL
Aug 11th 2014
           lols... I read that as we're about to adopt that same logic...
Aug 13th 2014
If we also get a decent pick in the deal, I will be thrilled
Aug 12th 2014
Sixers bout to sign Ronald Roberts (link)
Aug 12th 2014
Nice, I liked this kid for the Hawks. A little short but otherwise ...
Aug 14th 2014
      yeah, with a name like that I didnt even know homie was Dominican.
Aug 14th 2014

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 05:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "let's wait until the lottery balls bounce"
In response to Reply # 0

cause it would be about right for philly to get screwed there.

mtbatol
19788 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 05:18 PM

3. "I GOT YO BALLS RIGHT HERE, HATER!! >:O"
In response to Reply # 1

#Pause

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Apr-20-14 06:20 PM

10. "yeah i can see lakers getting no. 1 and us getting no. 4"
In response to Reply # 1

or some cheesy shit

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 05:10 PM

2. "Wiggins is coming"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 07:43 PM

8. "Kang will love mentoring him"
In response to Reply # 2

mtbatol
19788 posts
Sun Apr-20-14 11:15 PM

11. "...in a Sixers uniform ;)"
In response to Reply # 8

imo
Member since Aug 09th 2007
2144 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 05:21 PM

4. "Cant wait"
In response to Reply # 0

Although I'm passing on season tickets for now. May pick them up if we stay in the top 4 picks.

"hey, make this right mayne
stop at the light mayne,
my yester night thang got me hung off the night train "

low2behold
Member since Jan 05th 2006
19165 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 05:36 PM

5. "Keep Sims, Young, Wroten, Varnado, MCW (duh) and Thompson"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------
IG: mike_gx
-------------

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35266 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 05:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "King of the Lions Fans gonna find some potholes in his lawn I see"
In response to Reply # 0

mtbatol
19788 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 11:31 PM

9. "I can now see how inspired by "Game of Thrones" he is now..."
In response to Reply # 6

...and I salute him for paving the way \( v_v )/

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 06:16 PM

7. "I swear to God, if they don't do something miraculous this offseason"
In response to Reply # 0

Draft, free agency, sacrifices atop the Art Museum, whatever.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Apr-21-14 04:14 PM

12. "Dear Joshua Harris, Please Stop Speaking For This Franchise In Public."
In response to Reply # 0

Jesus this guy gets progressively more cringeworthy with each turn when he gets up to speak on the Sixers.

Outside of the technology industry, America sure doesn't build its obscenely wealthy business titans like they used to, do they?

Gone are the tough-minded/flawed-but-complicated/tireless-working/often-rose-from-humble-beginnings type of visionaries and charismatic captains of industry that we the people once saw like Andrew Carnegie, Henry Ford, Walt Disney, John D. Rockefeller and even William Randolph Hearst.

That archetype has given way to the shadowy/soulless/socially awkward/silver-spoon-fed/Ivy-League-bred/craven-corporate-raping-n-pillaging-private-equity/hedge-fund/big-bank/little-dick fuckboy breed of faceless Wall Street drones like Josh Harris, who after being out of Wharton for a decade and doing nothing in particular that anyone can point to directly or be impressed by is suddenly a billionaire.

A billionaire because he and a few partners of a company nobody's ever heard of that specializes in leveraged-purchases of under-appraised or distressed companies that once thrived as real businesses, then sucking it to the marrow before deciding to shut it down to sell for spare parts or flip it at a big bid once its market value magically returns.

These are the obscenely wealthy white men who actually run this country while contributing nothing to it besides upping the stakes in an above-the-law-and-unaccountable, pathologically-greedy, political-puppeteering, paper-passing, catch-and-release, financial shell-game that only he and his preppie pals get to participate in while the rest of us get ass-fucked, bad-lucked, gun-butted and shame-slutted into playing an increasingly insane three-card-molly game.

The only way a guy like this can exist and get this rich being as PR-deficient, inarticulate and tone-deaf as him is by having access to the cheat codes.

This douche bought the Devils and was shocked that it raised an eyebrow in this town.

This clown came to Iverson Retirement Ceremony looking underdressed compared to even AI himself.

And then proceeded to burn the first three speech slots on Adam Silver, his partner and then himself with each man having increasingly less interesting or remotely genuine things to say.

This cocksucker has Doctor J, Pat Croce, Mo Malone or Cheeks, shit even Gary Payton in attendance and on the court during half time not getting a second of speak-to-crowd time but they let those three soggy slices of white bread set it off.

This walking-erection-ending-killjoy calls a season-exiting press conference to call a 19-win campaign a 'huge success' while giving almost no indication that he actually watched them play or knows anything about sport or the city in which he owns a sports franchise.

Please, from now until whenever this asshole sells the team in the next few years, if the 76ers (who are actually the best-managed team in the city currently) aren't gonna send Hinkie-Dinkie-Dawg out there because he is in a bunker doing data-crunches........let Brett Brown or Scott O'Neil or even Willow Smith speak to the fans instead of you, you will make more money for yourself that way as well.

The only time I'd intentionally listen to this guy's painful oration in another presser is if I know he's only there to say something short-and-sweet such as 'we are thrilled to welcome your newest member of the Philadelphia 76ers, Lebron James'.

Stick To The Silent Serpentining That Got You All That Guap, Geek.

gmltheone
Member since Jun 11th 2003
8564 posts
Mon Apr-21-14 05:56 PM

13. "Lol. He meant well"
In response to Reply # 12

But you're right. Leave the public speaking to Brett Brown. He really could've been talking about acquiring lebron and it would've felt soulless.
----------------------------
Same as it ever was!

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 01:23 PM

14. "no post about Nerlens ballin?!?"
In response to Reply # 0

Watch Nerlens Noel dunk, make circus shot in NBA Summer League debut

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/watch-nerlens-noel-dunk-make-circus-shot-nba-summer-league-debut

19 pts, 7-7 FT...(only 2 boards in 26 min.)

looks like he put some weight on his upper body

but doesn't have ALL the elevation yet

I have to admit though, I'm excited to see him in the regular season

high energy, high motor, trying to swat everything

if Embiid can get on the court...I LIKES!

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 03:46 PM

15. "He can elevate, needs a little time to get some more timing on his jump"
In response to Reply # 14

Left some boards and blocks out there.

However he did alter a few more shots than the stats show, he displayed some nifty post-passing skills, hit a couple floaters with either hand, showed a couple nice post moves, had good bounce, showed no hesitation with the knee and the 'complete rebuild' of a shot that netted 50% of his free throws at Kentucky looked great at the stripe yesterday.

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 03:54 PM

16. "Legit Question: What IS He?"
In response to Reply # 15

From what I've seen of him in college, he seemed to have that young Tyson Chandler type game with a very little bit of touch close to the rim, and a decent passer

From what cats are saying now, he's developed a better post game, a little more range, and a consistent FT shot (which can translate into even more range)

So is he a stretch 4 a la Bosh in MIA? Or is he closer to Bosh in TOR? (best comparison I can make with that skillset)

And if he's a 5, where does that leave Embiid? (And personally, as soon as that kid is healthy the Sixers should play him...no more of that sitting out the season BS...see what you got so you can plan accordingly)

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 04:13 PM

17. "He's a 5, Embiid would be the stretch four because he can actually shoot"
In response to Reply # 16

That jumper that Noel has even though he's been working at it is gonna take some more time.

Brown's goal is for him to shoot at least 60% from the line and be a scorer around the basket but not really a guy he expects to be standing in spots taking 15 footers.

You might rotate Noel to the 4 and Embiid to the 5 on the defensive side but who knows.

Both can be rim-protectors at that end.

Health wise Noel is going to be better than Tyson Chandler, I'd say at worst he'll be Camby.

And while I would like to see Embiid play, some doctors even speculate he could be ready by start of season, all indicators are that he is getting 'red-shirted' like Noel was last season.

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 04:34 PM

18. "Theo Ratliff"
In response to Reply # 16
Mon Jul-07-14 04:59 PM by bentagain

as of today, in that he's not a 'traditional' 5 (and those are a dying breed anyway)

finisher around the rim, oops and putbacks

blocking errything that comes in the paint

reports are that the jump shot is worlds improved

as was the FT shooting

so could he be a stretch player eventually, ehh, maybe

but today, I'll take Theo Ratliff 2.0

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 05:08 PM

19. "His ceiling is far higher than Theo. And I like Theo."
In response to Reply # 18

bentagain
16595 posts
Thu Jul-10-14 03:34 PM

34. "14pts, 9rebs, and 5blks in the 2nd of a back to back"
In response to Reply # 14

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 06:50 PM

20. "...since I'm here, WTF is all this Jeremy Lin talk?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-07-14 06:51 PM by bentagain

I've heard this more than once now...

if HOU does get Melo, they're going to have to move Lin's and Asik's contracts...

...and HOU already has a trade partner for Lin in PHI.

FOK and NO!

We may be a sad bunch, but in no way do I think Lin >>> anybody on our roster.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 06:58 PM

21. "whaddaya gimme to take the contract? (c) bob clarke"
In response to Reply # 20

we take the last year of his deal, get an asset for doing so and if we are lucky we flip him at the deadline. i don't see what you're so nervous about.

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 07:13 PM

22. "$15M in salary and $8M against the cap for a late first rounder?"
In response to Reply # 21

I'm not nervous, I flat out don't get it.

if, IF HOU does get either Bosh/Melo and this goes down

HOU is a top 4 team in the WC

their 1st round pick next year would be in the 20s

is that worth $8M

what are we getting in a flip at the deadline?

(bearing in mind this dude isn't good at basketball and once the papers are signed he immediately becomes the face of our franchise and highest paid player)

we widdled down our cap space to bring Linsanity to PHI?

FOH.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 08:44 PM

23. "What is hard to get about it? "
In response to Reply # 22

If someone wants to give us a first-round pick to take Lin in the first year of the deal, to help us reach the league minimum in salary commitment (we're nowhere near it right now) for this year in which we're obviously punting, then what is the problem?

It's a free pick, gives then a watchable player to spell MCW plus let him see how he works off the ball a bit and then his deal is expiring so that's 15 mill of cap space next season for when Embiid plus next year's lottery pick join the team on the floor in 15/16.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 09:50 PM

24. "uh, we NEED to add salary. we get at least one pick, possibly more"
Mon Jul-07-14 09:51 PM by ConcreteCharlie

sixers will have a lot of leverage in a deal with a team that has connections with our organization. we could get a first and perhaps another pick from the initial deal. then we get a guy who will eat minutes and be vaguely professional, that is until the trade deadline. no team is going to be scared off by his salary at that point (prorated salary) and it's just a matter of making the cap hit work in getting yet another pick potentially.

so why would you not make the deal? i don't think anyone will consider a backup point guard "the face of the franchise" and what does it matter that he is the "highest paid player?" ben gordon has been the highest paid player on many teams in recent years. did that make him some sort of superstar in those cities? and lin will be here a MAX of one year. i really think you're getting your blood pressure up for nothing.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 10:03 PM

26. "have you seen philly's salaries versus what's available?"

they didn't go after anyone (i hope they do next year), so they're gonna have to overpay some bums. might as well have someone on short deal.

bentagain
16595 posts
Tue Jul-08-14 09:26 AM

27. "^^^ exactly, and for bomb and charlie too..."
In response to Reply # 26

what's the f'n point of dumping salaries, clearing space, etc...

if the best you can come up with is Jeremy F'n Lin?

I was cool with the tank for Wiggins...last year

I get it, got it

now MFers are selling some 2-3 more years of this BS

FOK and NO.

why would next year be any different?

I haven't heard the 6ers name in any of the potential FA signings this offseason

so we're going to pay a scrub this year to make the numbers fit

and be in the same spot again next year

that's what I don't get.

doing the same thing and expecting different results = Linsanity

it's starting to feel like the 6ers have played their hand already

moving Iggy, Jrue = 0 games played to date in return

tank for Wiggins = an injured Embiid

all because we didn't want to be mediocre anymore

cool, now we are a bottom of the barrel team for 5 years?

c'mon

it's the rainmaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxQw0VoT538

we'll just suck until we luck up in the draft

and then everybody can say, I told you so...a decade from now.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Jul-08-14 12:12 PM

29. "lol, he was not agreeing with you, you fucking dummy"
In response to Reply # 27
Tue Jul-08-14 12:13 PM by ConcreteCharlie

they never said they clearing cap space to have some awful joe dumars-esque offseason this year or that the team would be competitive in 14-15. what do you want them to do? get in on the lebron/melo sweepstakes? that would just be an embarrassment to the franchise.

bentagain
16595 posts
Tue Jul-08-14 12:31 PM

30. "First off, Fuck You."
In response to Reply # 29
Tue Jul-08-14 12:35 PM by bentagain

secondly

this ownership group has been in place for 3? seasons now

each year getting progressively worse

which, as per Bomb's reply above, seems to be par for a Josh Harris course

am I suppose to see some supreme intellectual play by doing the absolute worse that is possible?

is the hope for this season that we can actually have the worse record in the league?

as of today, they've erred every step of the way

since you're the genius

what was the point of clearing all that cap space if you weren't going to pitch the big name FAs?

so you can have all that cap space next year

when you're back in the lottery

and still can't sign any big name FAs

please enlighten me on the master plan here.

from what I can tell

we'll acquire a name that can't play in 15'-16'

and spend our cap space on some overpaid expiring

and be back at square 1 in 2 years

rinse, wash, repeat

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Tue Jul-08-14 01:25 PM

31. "josh harris is a banker. he's going keep expenses low while"
In response to Reply # 30

tanking and piling up assets that make the team more attractive to sale
they are going to be near the salary floor every year
worse case for him is none of these moves pan out and he just dumps the team in 4-5 yrs for double the purchase price ($200 mil) all the while maintaining low operating cost
there are already rumors that they are listening to see if there is interest in the team
kind of a genius plan if u ask me

of course the risk is that ppl like lin and noel actually try hard and push the team back into that 8th-10th spot in the east

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Jul-08-14 02:59 PM

32. "god you are dumber than a bag of bricks with the smart ones picked out"
In response to Reply # 30

do you honestly think that lebron or melo or anyone of note was coming to philadelphia? to a team this young?

the idea is to stockpile the shit out of assets and talents while maintaining a low bottom line and high picks. this is a five-year plan, not a one-year plan.

bentagain
16595 posts
Thu Jul-10-14 03:03 PM

33. "alot of moves being made, still haven't heard the 6ers name anywhere"
In response to Reply # 32

alot of other players available that can ACTUALLY PLAY basketball

but hey, you're cool with us just acquiring a contract

while other teams are acquiring...hmmm...IDK...ASSETS!!!

we have a young core of guys

best case scenario, they turn into solid NBA players

after their rookie contracts expire in a few years

you think those assets are going to resign with a franchise that is committed to tanking for the duration of thier rookie contracts?

sounds like a solid plan IMO.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu Jul-10-14 06:53 PM

35. "again, i ask you, of the available players, who should philly pursue?"
In response to Reply # 33

they might make a run at bledsoe or monroe but so far we have heard exactly nothing about either player. even with lin's deal, they have space to add a player. they are not going to sign any veteran players. more accurately, no veteran players are going to sign with them. why would either party be interested?

"assets?" they are getting two roster players with favorable deals, at least one first round pick, potentially another pick and whatever they can get for the roster players later. do you understand what the word "asset" means?

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jul-10-14 10:31 PM

37. "Dude, what on earth are you griping about here?"
In response to Reply # 33

I really don't get what you don't get what we're doing.

Sounding like Howard Eskin or Angelo Cataldi with this lack of ability to see the big picture.

Our cap flexibility was never about shooting for free agents in this class.

Maybe if Wiggins had fell to us as originally anticipated we might have grabbed a guy at 10 to play this year and we could have attempted a KLove trade leading to a Bron signing.

Other than that, there was absolutely nothing worth doing for the short-term that would help the long-term future of this franchise.

Hinkie has been here for less than a year and a half into what was conservatively being considered a four year plan.

We took a guy who would have been #1 overall last year who we didn't start playing until this year.

We took an even more ballyhooed big who would have been #1 overall this year who we won't be playing until next year.

Doubled down on that by taking the biggest prospect in Europe who may not even join us until the season after that.

WE ARE NOT TRYING TO BE GOOD NEXT YEAR.

Making the playoffs in this shitty east would cost us a first round pick from that horrible Moultrie trade (it defaults to a 2nd after this), grabbing one more lottery pick before we spend the rest of the decade never in the lottery again is integral to the plan once we punted on the season for Embiid's upside.

Why on earth, would we want to hop into this year's shitty free agent pool to overpay and commit for four years for Trevor Ariza or Luol Deng?!?

2015/16 is when we see Twin Towers in action and actively work towards being a good team.

The summer after that is when we strike for free agents to fill any holes we need if they fit our concept, whether it be Lebron or Durant or smaller sensible role guys.

In the meantime, if folks wanna give us draft picks just to take guys for a year, you do it.

We are building something here, these fools are out here paying six million a year for Jodie Meeks and giving Gordon Hayward 60 million.

Eyes On The Prize.

bentagain
16595 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 11:01 AM

40. "Piss on my head and tell me it's raining"
In response to Reply # 37

One of my biggest issues with the 'plan', is that everyone in favor of it

is immediately spinning it into a best case scenario

stay the course, be patient, and in 4-5 years we're gonna be great

cool for you and everybody else who believes in that

I DON'T, that's about as straight forward as I can put it

3rd year in a row that our big acquisition can't play for us this year

I get blowing it up and starting over

I don't get tanking for seasons at a time

IRT FA, there are players on the market that can be signed for the same money as Lin

that will be assets in 3-4 years (follow me here)

say we signed somebody like Heyward, Parsons, Deng (or at the very least extended a F'n offer), to a 3-4 year deal

none of those players is going to assure the 6ers make the playoffs this year (we're still in the draft)

the difference is, you have a guy that can PLAY BASKETBALL

the bigger issue is MCW and Nerlens being on rookie contracts (now really follow me, because these salary scenarios are never clear cut with the salary cap, etc...)

back to the best case scenario where all these draft picks turn into great pros

offering MCW the max won't be as big a cap hit because of where he was drafted (correct?)

Noel will be a bigger hit because of where he was drafted (correct?)

same for Embiid (correct?)

and again, this is assuming these guys are max players in 3-4 years

what's the harm in signing a guy, 1 player, that can play basketball well

to a 3-4 year deal in the $10-$15M/year range

isn't that an asset either way, in the worst or best case scenario 3-4 years from now?

if that player doesn't pan out, he walks freeing up cap space

if these young guys don't pan out, you have a player to build around

IMO, all in for the tank 3 years in a row isn't a plan that I'm confident can work

there are a handful of franchises that are in the lottery seemingly every year

say MCW trends down and Noel/Embiid can't stay on the court

we'll be in the draft for a decade

I'm suppose to clap for that?

we'd be SAC/MIN/MIL

no thanks

there has to be more to the plan than just doing the worse that you possibly can and expecting the franchise to turn around on some magical draft prospect that hasn't even surfaced yet

I'm hoping there is, but as long as the franchise does not show me otherwise

I'm going to call BullShit.

MarkyMark
Member since Dec 04th 2009
760 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 12:31 PM

41. "RE: Piss on my head and tell me it's raining"
In response to Reply # 40

>3rd year in a row that our big acquisition can't play for us
>this year
>I don't get tanking for seasons at a time

The Bynum deal wasn't tanking. That was us swinging for the fences and whiffing big time. I know that doesn't change the fact that the big pickup 3 years in a row can't play but that first year ain't a tank.

>say we signed somebody like Heyward, Parsons, Deng (or at the
>very least extended a F'n offer), to a 3-4 year deal
>none of those players is going to assure the 6ers make the
>playoffs this year (we're still in the draft)
>the difference is, you have a guy that can PLAY BASKETBALL

Guys like that have no interest in coming here... none. They are going to get the same money elsewhere, a team that is much-much better than us. We aren't going to draw free agents worth a shit this year.

I also sincerely doubt the plan is that we keep every single one of these guys/picks and hope they develop. I think its quite obvious they are going the Houston route and are going to stack them assets and swoop in and make a Hardenesque deal when the opportunity arises. It may not work out but it is an infinitely better idea than signing complimentary players to max/near-max deals before you figure out who the fuck you are building this shit around.

I get the frustration. I love basketball, I love the Sixers even though they have spent the better part of my 33 years on earth torturing my soul. I don't want to fucking sitting around and watch 19 win seasons. But this is the only way.

bentagain
16595 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 12:50 PM

43. "I was thinking about what HOU was before they got Harden"
In response to Reply # 41

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/hou/year/2012/houston-rockets

they weren't a playoff team

but they looked very similar to the mediocre 6ers team that everyone seems to regard as the plague

then they completely turned over that roster and added Harden

which IMO, if we were following the HOU model

the 6ers already F'd that up with the Bynum deal

that was suppose to be our Harden (?)

this tank job of seasons is a last resort option, IMO

I CAN'T pretend like this is some well thought out, check mate, wizard behind the curtain type move

that's all

just my opinion

posters like Charlie want to get butthurt about it

cool

not gonna change my opinion though

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Jul-12-14 02:01 PM

49. "Lotta long & wrong there"
In response to Reply # 40

But I know u will be happy once that all gets exposed so I ain't gonna argue about it right now.

Bringing up Bynum and the past regime is kinda weird tho.

You are siding with Angelo & Eskin, be happy that they and you will be on the wrong side of history.

Enjoy your weekend.

bentagain
16595 posts
Wed Jul-16-14 12:21 PM

50. "Yeah, so back to what I was saying"
In response to Reply # 49

now that Lance and Parsons both signed 3 year deals

are relatively young

and didn't go to contenders

what's the harm in just making an offer to a player like that

given this '5 year plan'

if you overpay, and they don't perform, their contract expires

if they perform, you have a piece to build around and add to the pool of young players we're stockpiling

I don't really see the problem with acquiring assets through FA too

do we even know who we're tanking for in 15' draft?

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Jul-16-14 07:49 PM

51. "Why would we pay for two players their own teams didn't deem worth keepi..."
In response to Reply # 50

For Who? For What?(c)R.Watters

As for what we're tanking for, we're not tanking like we were last year but if we snuck in the playoffs we would lose our first round pick forever rather than get one last lotto pick and have that Moultrie deal become a second rounder the following season.

Parsons will have no role on this team once Embiid comes back, even less when Saric does.

Why would we want to pay 15 million a year for the next three seasons for that?

And Lance is a powder-keg that isn't worth the trouble for the young team we're building here.

I'd rather let KJ McDaniels get minutes and see what he can do.

bentagain
16595 posts
Thu Jul-17-14 11:02 AM

53. "uh, Lance didn't want 5 years in IND, which is what they offered"
In response to Reply # 51

for the same reason almost every other player is signing short term deals

w/the new cap coming up

and Morey F'd up that whole Parsons deal, can't really argue with that

I'm starting to give the sideye to folks that champion this dude

let Dragic go to get Lin was the first WTF in my book

now he lets Parsons even get to FA, when they could have had him this year for $900K

that's your narrative, their teams didn't want them...?

sounds more like they got what they wanted from another team

which is how I think FA works, no?

also, see my reply to Charlie below

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jul-18-14 03:49 PM

58. "there was really no need for us to go chasing Lance Stevenson"
In response to Reply # 53

He wouldn't have wanted to be on a team this early into the rebuilding process and we don't need to bring a guy that volatile into the locker room of the youngest team in the league.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu Jul-17-14 08:50 AM

52. "27 other teams had little to no interest in Lance, Parsons overpaid"
In response to Reply # 50

We get it, you want to throw money at the problem and pray it gets better. Maybe you should be a Nyets fan.

bentagain
16595 posts
Thu Jul-17-14 11:07 AM

54. "uh, we're going to HAVE TO pay somebody, no?"
In response to Reply # 52

I think the cap floor is around $53M

our current payroll is just under $40M

that $$$ is going to go somewhere

at least the NYets went for it

I never agreed with their signings

but I'll never argue with management being all in for a season

which as a 6ers fan, hasn't happened in 14 years.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jul-19-14 01:29 AM

59. "Do we have to pay them for multiple years though?"
In response to Reply # 54

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jul-07-14 10:02 PM

25. "I don't get the repugnance toward delayed ETAs"
In response to Reply # 0

How many guys get taken and don't get tick until year three anyway? In reality, with so many one-and-dones, the NBA is already moving to where it should be with the D League as a team-affiliated minor league. We see in baseball and hockey guys who get taken between 18 and 20 and need seasoning. Two guys get the training--physical and technical--at a pro level while avoiding wear and tear. Another continues to play in a high-level pro league overseas. I don't see anything entirely novel or wrong with the strategy.

icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Tue Jul-08-14 11:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "FWIW, I wanted the Sixers to draft Julius Randle"
In response to Reply # 0

Trade down a few spots and get an extra pick, some team probably would have given up something decent to get Embiid. That way we get a future all star in Randle and avoid the risk of Embiid staying healthy and developing into a star. Potential doesnt help you win wearing a suit and tie on the bench. Id rather have a sure thing.

In any case, im just crossing my fingers now and hoping Joel (and Saric) pans out.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Jul-10-14 07:42 PM

36. "nerlens good, i'm already excited for next season"
In response to Reply # 0

like, i'll actually want to watch thdm next season, even if they sorry again. nerlens + mcw = enough

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

ChuckNeal
Member since Feb 03rd 2004
5458 posts
Thu Jul-10-14 10:44 PM

38. "Pretty much"
In response to Reply # 36

Famousfarrah.com <--- a webseries I worked on

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 03:09 AM

39. "Yup, I've actually DVR-d & watched every summer league game Nerlens has ..."

Cant recall ever doing that before.

And I love that MCW & Thad are down there with Coach Brown watching these guys and talking to them.

We playing for the Summer League Championship tomorrow, B!

I'm looking at this team like I did the first Larry Brown/AI/Stack season.

There's enough to look at to make it worth it but the real dividends will come in the following years.

We will be a playoff team in Embiid's first season and then trend up for that, because while Nerlens is good Embiid is going to be a true beast and them together is a matchup nobody else can stand up against.

I can't wait.......but given where the Sixers have been the past ten years, I can.

MarkyMark
760 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 12:46 PM

42. "RE: nerlens good, i'm already excited for next season"

I try not to get overexicited about shit, cause lord knows I thought that Spoon-Sharone Wright-Shawn Bradley front line was gonna be the truth.. but I get fucking giddy watching him play.

I know its Summer League, but he actually looks semi-fluid on the offensive end. I was expecting him to look like a goober doing anything other than dunking in transition. But I saw him take a couple power dribbles and hit an off-hand jump hook... twice. I saw him hit a couple floaters. He is shooting 80% from the line. He needs to get stronger, especially them hands (lots of drops and rip-aways) but I am liking what I see. The most encouraging thing about this is, it at least appears Brett Brown is a coach that can teach and develop guys, which at this point is more important than Xs and Os.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 01:09 PM

44. "Flip Saunders wanna win now? LET'S HELP FLIP"
In response to Reply # 0

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=o7wjyeh

----
bshelly

MarkyMark
760 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 01:16 PM

45. "RE: Flip Saunders wanna win now? LET'S HELP FLIP"
In response to Reply # 44

>http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=o7wjyeh

Lollerskates.

Shit in that scenario, I'd be willing to let Minny keep Bennett.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 01:19 PM

46. "can't, i tried that"
In response to Reply # 45

----
bshelly

MarkyMark
760 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 02:35 PM

47. "RE: can't, i tried that"
In response to Reply # 46

Oh noez... Lin going to Lakers. It fucked it all up.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 08:34 PM

48. "HINKE DOGG HANGS DAT FIRST BANNER"
In response to Reply # 0

Summer league champs. Learn to love it, because it's gonna keep happening

----
bshelly

bentagain
16595 posts
Fri Jul-18-14 03:11 PM

55. "5 games in summer league, Noel already hobbled. I'm out for 14'-15'"
In response to Reply # 0

enjoy

gmltheone
Member since Jun 11th 2003
8564 posts
Fri Jul-18-14 03:18 PM

56. "Sprained ankle..."
In response to Reply # 55

>enjoy

He'll live.

----------------------------
Same as it ever was!

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jul-18-14 03:46 PM

57. "lol, no he isn't, you sound sillier than Brent Barry & dude doing PBP"

last night during the game who kept cysing that shit every time he was subbed out.

He tweaked an ankle earlier this week (something that happens fairly easily especially when you're playing competitively for the first time in 18 months).

He then played in a basketball game the very next day, while also being sick with the flu.

But if you out, peace out.

Just don't put extras on it because you're mad that you don't see this regime's vision.

I'm enjoying watching Nerlens play already, can't wait to see what he looks like with a real PG who he's been hooping with since he was 14 come season's start.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Mon Aug-11-14 09:11 AM

61. "the tank needs soldiers, not whiners, son. check yourself"

----
bshelly

mtbatol
19788 posts
Mon Aug-11-14 06:42 AM

60. "We ARE gonna get AB for Thad... right?"
In response to Reply # 0

...RIGHT?!?! >_<

PLZ SAY YES!!! Is this one of those complicated sign & trade & wait deals? >_<

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Mon Aug-11-14 09:16 AM

62. "mcw, kj, ab, nerlens=fun ass team"
In response to Reply # 60

i mean, they probably won't win 25 games, but who cares? they'll run, they'll block shots, they'll be crazy athletic, and they all have potential to grow into good nba players. sign me up.

----
bshelly

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Aug-11-14 10:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
63. "I don't even understand why Minnesota is interested in Thad"

but looks like the Sixers are gonna end up being the team I was expecting to see in Cleveland this year, lol.

I'm gonna be rooting for AB wherever he goes.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Mon Aug-11-14 10:34 AM

64. "if you weren't down with the tank last year, you can't ever root for us"
In response to Reply # 63

^^dat Doc Logic

----
bshelly

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Aug-11-14 12:25 PM

65. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 64
Mon Aug-11-14 12:25 PM by Dr Claw

I mean that in the sense of wishing him well.

he should have been drafted about where Noel was, but Chris Grant.
reverse Dion Waiters.

Dion should have been drafted at around where Austin Rivers was drafted
but Chris Grant.

Tristan should have been likely drafted at around where Klay was picked (or lower)
but Chris Grant.

(see a pattern here)

FTR, I was 100% for the Sixer tank. I wanted them to lose 27 in a row for purely selfish reasons. FUCK YOU, DETROIT.

on FB I actually advocated for You-Know-Who to go over there in a roundabout way.

I am not an enemy of the Sixers... yet.
(and that's contingent on them fucking us over in a future playoff matchup)

y'all got Billy King'd. multiple times.

I understand the plight of 6ers fans. Probably Cavs fans should know their recent plight more than anyone else.

mtbatol
19788 posts
Wed Aug-13-14 09:27 PM

68. "lols... I read that as we're about to adopt that same logic..."
In response to Reply # 65
Wed Aug-13-14 09:29 PM by mtbatol

Worst case scenario for Ar-AB (pending nickname) is he's the second coming of Thad Young or Clarance Weatherspoon. I'm perfectly fine with that since we're not the ones who used up that #1 pick for him lol

That molds nicely with MCW + Embiid + Noel. Our coaching staff so far appears to be pretty damn great working with our guys so I'm excited to see how this can all transform on the court over the next couple years - just as long as the NBA isn't trying to cock block us from getting this trade through & any tank ambitions. Fuck yeah we gonna have a bandwagon ain't NOBODY gonna just jump in. If you wasn't down with #TeamTank YOU WASN'T DOWN WIT SHEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!

(if only Phillies management adopted this same mentality since our first year missing offs tho :\ )

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 10:25 AM

66. "If we also get a decent pick in the deal, I will be thrilled"

I get Minnesota's interest in Thad, I mean they still have to put a team out there and they are not in some long-term rebuild per se.

But I am not holding my breath here. The deal could work several ways but you have to figure it's secondary to the Love/Wiggins deal. If it's made as a three-way deal, that is neat and tidy. If not, Bennett cannot be traded with another player for 60 days after the initial trade is consummated between the Wolves and Cavs.

That means the Sixers would have to trade Young for junk contracts and then make a separate deal where a second rounder goes for Bennett, if I understand correctly. That is doable but the league might see that kind of obvious circumvention and shoot it down.

In short, I am not looking at this as a certainty but I would like to see it happen.

The value out of the last two drafts would be insane. A potential #1 pick at #6, a ROY at #11, a #1 pick, a potential #1 pick at #3 and then a player who slipped to 12 because of contractual issues with his club team (easily would have been in the top 10 otherwise). That's also with some potential contributors selected later also.

low2behold
19165 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 08:27 PM

67. "Sixers bout to sign Ronald Roberts (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude beasted at Saint Joe's and in the Orlando Summer League alongside Noel.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/Roberts-signs-with-sixers.html

-------------
-------------

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu Aug-14-14 09:49 AM

69. "Nice, I liked this kid for the Hawks. A little short but otherwise ..."
In response to Reply # 67

he is a high motor guy and pretty athletic. Another blacktino cat getting in the league is cool, too.

low2behold
19165 posts
Thu Aug-14-14 08:43 PM

70. "yeah, with a name like that I didnt even know homie was Dominican."
In response to Reply # 69

-------------
-------------

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2316749 Previous topic | Next topic