Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2316559

Subject: "James Harden, Defensive Juggernaut" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85054 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 02:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"James Harden, Defensive Juggernaut"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVYJULACcao

is he the laziest defender in the history of the game?

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
loooool, he makes Copeland look like Scottie Pippen
Apr 18th 2014
The All-Defensive Juggernaut 1st Team
Apr 18th 2014
no shawn bradley for irony?
Apr 18th 2014
Folks can say what they want but Bradley was an elite swat machine
Apr 18th 2014
RE: The All-Defensive Juggernaut 1st Team
Apr 18th 2014
meh, betting better than a small/old lineup without him
Apr 18th 2014
RE: The All-Defensive Juggernaut 1st Team
Apr 18th 2014
Needs more Melo
Apr 18th 2014
      you crazy
Apr 18th 2014
I never knew he was this bad
Apr 18th 2014
Once you factor in the way he gets his points (charging to get FT's)
Apr 18th 2014
dumb
Apr 19th 2014
He was a decent defender at OKC but once he got paid, he quit trying
Apr 18th 2014
      Harden isnt bad at that either
Apr 19th 2014
      harden gambles (and wins) too, he gets a good number of steals
Sep 16th 2014
The weak, flailing "attempt" at steals makes it worse
Apr 18th 2014
A lot of it is just effort and ball watching
Apr 18th 2014
      I almost put that
Apr 18th 2014
He plays D kinda like Tony Parker (UCLA)
Apr 18th 2014
hahaha... fuckin terrible...
Apr 18th 2014
how does KM allow him to do this shit?
Apr 18th 2014
because he's been unguardable since february
Apr 18th 2014
I like the "my bad" finger point.
Apr 18th 2014
That's the first thing I noticed
Apr 18th 2014
Dude Was Doing That on EVERY Play...LOL
Apr 19th 2014
McHale HAS to be ignoring this in film sessions
Apr 19th 2014
lofl. I couldnt take it anymore after 4min
Apr 19th 2014
listening to sports radio in Houston today....
Apr 19th 2014
Houston Sports radio is the worst for rockets talk
Apr 19th 2014
http://i4.minus.com/i5ofV5pEGelQg.jpg
Sep 15th 2014
This one is better:
Sep 15th 2014
LOL
Sep 15th 2014
They were running zone but it's no fun that way lol
Sep 15th 2014
Cmon Son!
Nov 25th 2014
Harden gets defensive in Footlocker commercial
Nov 25th 2014

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 04:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "loooool, he makes Copeland look like Scottie Pippen"
In response to Reply # 0

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 04:36 PM

2. "The All-Defensive Juggernaut 1st Team"
In response to Reply # 0

Nash
Harden
Dirk
D-Lee
Love

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 04:41 PM

4. "no shawn bradley for irony?"
In response to Reply # 2

FILF
20180 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 09:03 PM

20. "Folks can say what they want but Bradley was an elite swat machine "
In response to Reply # 4

http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 04:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: The All-Defensive Juggernaut 1st Team"
In response to Reply # 2

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4698949/believe-it-or-not-dirk-plays-good-d

Believe it or not, Dirk plays good D
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Here’s a little secret about Dirk Nowitzki: He’s pretty proud of the defender that he’s developed into.

Nowitzki has made countless self-deprecating comments about his defense over the course of his career, but the truth is he’s a heck of a lot better on that end of the floor than his reputation.

“I like to think that I’m a decent team defender,” Nowitzki said.

The numbers indicate he’s being modest.

The Mavs are a much better defensive team with Nowitzki in the lineup. His defensive rating (points per 100 possessions) of 101.8 this season is the second lowest on the roster among players who average at least 15 minutes per game, well below the Mavs’ overall rating of 104.4. Dallas’ defensive rating soars to 109.2 when Nowitzki is on the bench.

Not a big enough sample size? Nowitzki had Dallas’ best defensive rating (100.2) during the 2010-11 title season and has been at least a point below the team average in four of the last five years, with last season the exception with him coming off of knee surgery.

“Over the last few years, he’s been one of the most influential plus-minus guys,” coach Rick Carlisle said. “People always assume it’s because of his offense, but it’s because of defense as well.”

Nowitzki has never had the athletic gifts required to be a defensive stopper, and he admits that he’s even a little slower at the age of 35. But he’s still 7 feet tall, has a masterful knowledge of the Mavs’ defensive schemes and prepares diligently for opponents.

“I was never the quickest, fastest,” Nowitzki said. “Lateral movement is not the best. I like to think that I’m smart, that I use my brain on defense.

“I like to think that I can play some tendencies. I just read my scouting report. If I know that a guy likes to go 80 percent right, then I try to play that. If he does score on me going left a couple of times, then I’ll live with the percentages. I just try to be a smart defender and help the best that I can.”

The numbers actually indicate that Nowitzki has been a very good individual defender this season.

According to Synergy Sports, Nowitzki has allowed 0.81 points per possession when his man attempts to score, ranking 92nd in the NBA in that category. Opponents are shooting only 38 percent against him. And those numbers dipped significantly after a rough outing in Saturday’s loss to the Phoenix Suns on the tail end of a back-to-back.

Synergy’s analytics ranks Nowitzki as the NBA’s sixth most successful defender on post-ups (0.53 points per possession, 33.3 field goal percentage) and four most successful isolation defender (0.44, 20.8). Granted, Nowitzki usually defends the lesser scoring threat of the opponent’s center and power forward, but those numbers are still impressive nonetheless.

“I like to think that I can hold my ground a little better now than when I first got in the league,” Nowitzki said. “When I first got in the league, I wasn’t strong enough in my upper body to hold my ground. But I feel like I can hold my ground better and stand in there and obviously use my length. I don’t need to jump for shots. I’m not going to block a lot of shots on the ball anyway, so I try to use my length. Sometimes if they present the ball to me, I try to swipe it and get some deflections.

“It is what it is.”

It's a lot better than you thought, right?

Nowitzki’s defense has been a punchline since he broke into the league. How many Irk jokes -- no D -- have you heard? That perception hasn’t been reality for several years.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 05:34 PM

13. "meh, betting better than a small/old lineup without him"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Apr-18-14 05:34 PM by rob

overstates his effect when in the game. cause when he's off the court it's a shift that leads to a slightly undersized 37 year old at sf and a very undersized 35 year old at pf.

but he gets credit for being big and crafty and trying i guess.

FILF
20180 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 08:32 PM

18. "RE: The All-Defensive Juggernaut 1st Team"
In response to Reply # 5

>The Mavs are a much better defensive team with Nowitzki in the
>lineup.
That means nothing w/o point out who replaced him & who he played along side with during those periods. His back-up Blair for example is an undersized PF who has no clue how to play defense.

>According to Synergy Sports, Nowitzki has allowed 0.81 points
>per possession when his man attempts to score, ranking 92nd in
>the NBA in that category. Opponents are shooting only 38
>percent against him. And those numbers dipped significantly
>after a rough outing in Saturday’s loss to the Phoenix Suns on
>the tail end of a back-to-back.
Synergy numbers are empty stats b/c he usually checks the offensively challenged big...For example, he's going to check Splitter as opposed to Timmy....who are night & day when it come to offense. The reason he got burnt by the Suns was b/c they had Frye/Markiff playing together both of whom are offensive minded bigs.

>Granted, Nowitzki usually defends the
>lesser scoring threat of the opponent’s center and power
>forward, but those numbers are still impressive nonetheless.
Oh okay they just reiterated what I said above.

> “When I first got in the league, I wasn’t strong enough in my upper
>body to hold my ground. But I feel like I can hold my ground
>better and stand in there and obviously use my length.

His length is basically his best asset....he usually puts his hand-up & hopes they miss. But on the perimeter it's comical seeing him trying to deter drives by hedging b/c his lateral speed is woeful. Nash also has terrible lateral speed but he has a knack for drawing charges. I guess unlike Harden (who was actually a decent defender at OKC) & Lee (who gets caught napping too often) Nash/Dirk somewhat try but they are still terrible defenders. Love on the other hand has average arms & lacks lateral speed but has a the body/strength to play positional D...but seems more interested in chasing rebound while Pek does the dirty work.

Szabo
Member since Dec 16th 2007
2429 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 06:33 PM

16. "Needs more Melo"
In response to Reply # 2

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59167 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 06:37 PM

17. "you crazy"
In response to Reply # 16

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 04:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I never knew he was this bad"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Starks dunked on Bulls
12028 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 04:46 PM

6. "Once you factor in the way he gets his points (charging to get FT's)"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Apr-18-14 04:47 PM by Starks dunked on Bul

>

his game looks straight hoeish and weak.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 01:06 PM

24. "dumb"
In response to Reply # 6

FILF
20180 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 08:36 PM

19. "He was a decent defender at OKC but once he got paid, he quit trying"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Apr-18-14 08:37 PM by FILF

He's basically the new Gilbert Arenas but at least Agent Zero used to be pretty good at reading plays & jumping into the passing lanes for steals ala AI.

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 06:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "Harden isnt bad at that either"
In response to Reply # 19

>He's basically the new Gilbert Arenas but at least Agent Zero
>used to be pretty good at reading plays & jumping into the
>passing lanes for steals ala AI.

He averaged 1.5 streals a game which puts him top 20.

had some 5 or 6 steal games, but if anything that just gets him to be more lazy.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 02:07 AM

33. "harden gambles (and wins) too, he gets a good number of steals"
In response to Reply # 19

not really a huge point in his favor, i'm just saying steals that other poor defenders got dont really separate them from him

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 05:03 PM

7. "The weak, flailing "attempt" at steals makes it worse"
In response to Reply # 0

A guy gets half a step on him and then he decides just to swing his arm a bit to pretend like he's going for a steal.

Theres bad and then there's embarrassing and this is most certainly the latter.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

ShawndmeSlanted
43352 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 05:20 PM

10. "A lot of it is just effort and ball watching"
In response to Reply # 7

he really needs a coach that will hold him accountable and sit his ass if he makes the same mistake over and over.

---

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 05:27 PM

11. "I almost put that"
In response to Reply # 10

Haven't watched enough to know if McHale lets it slide but his laissez-faire style of coaching might not be the best for Harden on that end of the floor.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 05:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "He plays D kinda like Tony Parker (UCLA)"
In response to Reply # 0

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 05:12 PM

9. "hahaha... fuckin terrible..."
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Ditch the paper, save the trees, and go mobile! Text bizcard to 32462!

Dstl1
Charter member
56224 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 05:29 PM

12. "how does KM allow him to do this shit?"
In response to Reply # 0

Like, really? Is it over the coach's head?

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

themaddfapper
Member since Mar 09th 2010
7558 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 05:41 PM

14. "because he's been unguardable since february"
In response to Reply # 12

27.9/5.3a/.477/.423/.904 Feb
26.9/6.8a/.500/.431/.850 Mar
27.6/8.7a/.412/.368/.905 Apr

27.7/7.4a/.471/.419/.875 post all-star

he's become a serviceable post defender, crappy on ball, abysmal off it, but he did some things second half where it's like..its the cost of doing business. its not like we can afford to take him out.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36960 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 05:43 PM

15. "I like the "my bad" finger point."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sure the rest of the team is like, "No shit!"

https://digife.com

Anonymous
Charter member
23225 posts
Fri Apr-18-14 09:58 PM

21. "That's the first thing I noticed "
In response to Reply # 15

He acts like doing that makes it ok lol

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 04:51 PM

25. "Dude Was Doing That on EVERY Play...LOL"
In response to Reply # 15

I can only imagine him on the Bulls...Thibs would've suspended him by now

deezy
Member since Jul 22nd 2013
1029 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 01:20 AM

22. "McHale HAS to be ignoring this in film sessions"
In response to Reply # 0

there's no way he's calling Harden out because this sh*t is embarrassing

what's dumb is he doesn't give effort when he's the weakside defender,
but when the ball swings to his side he'll do TOO MUCH which leads
to him being out of position and his man just running right by him

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 01:05 PM

23. "lofl. I couldnt take it anymore after 4min"
In response to Reply # 0

Its awful. I never knew it was that bad.

Oakley
Charter member
7810 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 06:32 PM

26. "listening to sports radio in Houston today...."
In response to Reply # 0

the hosts said they wanna see Harden guard lillard some in round 1.

ShawndmeSlanted
43352 posts
Sat Apr-19-14 06:37 PM

27. "Houston Sports radio is the worst for rockets talk"
In response to Reply # 26

But Lillard's known as a pretty bad defender too maybe they assume they cancel each other out

---

Starks dunked on Bulls
12028 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 01:43 PM

29. "http://i4.minus.com/i5ofV5pEGelQg.jpg"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i4.minus.com/i5ofV5pEGelQg.jpg

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 01:49 PM

30. "This one is better:"
In response to Reply # 29

http://twitter.com/jackhaveitall/status/511242003716521984/photo/1

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 02:00 PM

31. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 30

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 07:03 PM

32. "They were running zone but it's no fun that way lol "
In response to Reply # 29

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Nov-25-14 11:34 AM

34. "Cmon Son!"
In response to Reply # 0

https://vine.co/v/O1pVIpg9PIu

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Nov-25-14 11:52 AM

35. "Harden gets defensive in Footlocker commercial"
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/_6gOtkwYbao

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2316559 Previous topic | Next topic