Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2315862

Subject: "a little too late: NCAA approves unlimited meals" Previous topic | Next topic
melmag
Charter member
18470 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 08:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"a little too late: NCAA approves unlimited meals"

Council Approves Meals, Other Student-Athlete Well-Being Rules
New Model Provides Unlimited Student-Athlete Meals And Snacks
HIGHLIGHTS

The Legislative Council approved measures that would:
Division I student-athletes can receive unlimited meals and snacks in conjunction with their athletics participation,
Require strength and conditioning coaches to be certified from a nationally accredited certification body,
Require someone certified in CPR, first aid and arterial external defibrillation to be present at all countable athletic activities,
Reduce the penalty for a first positive test for street drugs during championships, and
Require football players to rest for at least three hours between practices during the preseason. Film review and team meetings will be allowed during the recovery period.
The rules are not considered final until the close of the Board of Directors meeting on April 24.

RELATED STORIES

Council Clarifies Academic Misconduct Rules

Council Discusses Recruitment Of Mid-Year Enrollees
Division I student-athletes can receive unlimited meals and snacks in conjunction with their athletics participation, the Legislative Council decided Tuesday. The rule, which applies to walk-ons as well as scholarship student-athletes, is an effort to meet the nutritional needs of all student-athletes.

The provision of meals approved today is in addition to the meal plan provided as part of a full scholarship. Prior to this change, scholarship student-athletes received three meals a day or a food stipend.

Council chair Mary Mulvenna, associate commissioner of the America East Conference, said Tuesday’s decisions underscored the commitment to student-athletes.

“Today we took action to provide meals to student-athletes incidental to participation,” Mulvenna said. “I think the end result is right where it needs to be.”

No action is considered final until the Division I Board of Directors meets April 24.

The adoption of the meals legislation finished a conversation that began in the Awards, Benefits, Expenses and Financial Aid Cabinet. Members have worked to find appropriate ways to ensure student-athletes get the nutrition they need without jeopardizing Pell Grants or other federal aid received by the neediest student-athletes. With their vote, members of the council said they believe that loosening NCAA rules on what and when food can be provided from athletics departments is the best way to address the issue.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/council-approves-meals-other-student-athlete-well-being-rules?division=d1

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Speaking of a little too late:
Apr 16th 2014
dude not only made the duplicate post, but pre-wrote the snark
Apr 16th 2014
      *alignment*
Apr 16th 2014

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66762 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 09:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Speaking of a little too late:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2315783&mesg_id=2315783&page=

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 09:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "dude not only made the duplicate post, but pre-wrote the snark"
In response to Reply # 1

for it.

that's thoughtful.

i still blame hip-hop.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66762 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 11:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "*alignment*"
In response to Reply # 2

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2315862 Previous topic | Next topic