Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2311416

Subject: "That Good Homegrown: WASHINGTON NATS 2014" Previous topic | Next topic
Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18387 posts
Mon Mar-31-14 07:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"That Good Homegrown: WASHINGTON NATS 2014"

Point of reference:
http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/pressbox_open/images/mediaguide_cover_was.jpg

granted there's probably only so much you should beat your chest about these guys being homegrown, considering most of these players arrived here via high draft choices by way of being THE WORST team in baseball for, like, a half decade.

But nonetheless, it's an impressive slate of players to have brought in and developed all your own; JZ, Zimm, Harp, Stras, Desi.

I mean that's a hell of a core of ballplayers to build a team around. Add to the mix a mercurial but dependable all around hitter in Jayson Werth, a streaky but powerful-when-he's-on Adam LaRoche, promising upstarts in Tanner Roark and Anthony Rendon, and you've got a recipe for not just regular season success but late October success...

wellllll not so fast...

despite having what many had declared the most talented team in baseball last year the Washington Nationals woefully underperformed under aw-shucks manager Davey Johnson. What made the Nats a force in 2012 made them suckers in 2013 - trusting struggling players too long, a laissez faire clubhouse attitude, swinging for everything and never attempting to manufacture small ball wins.

Enter Matt Williams, a Rizzo guy who some deemed a hardass before he even was formally announced as skipper. But by all accounts out of spring training, the boys LOVE him. He's said to be viciously analytical, a player's coach who still maintains focus, and a guy determined to create offense when the power bats aren't powerful. If you're looking for a testament to how well he's endeared himself to the team consider this quote from the always gruff Jayson Werth: "I'm not the easiest guy in the world to manage, but I LOVE being around Matt Williams." I think this bodes really well for the boys in red.

Per Vegas, we have the 4th best odds to win the World Series. I've seen our o/u win total number at anywhere from 90.5 to 92. It seems there's three consensus picks for World Series titles amongst ball writers, the Tigers, the Cards (duh), and us. That's good company.
There's reason to remain cautious, as I still can't shake the bitter disappointment of last year. But still, there's just too much talent and when you marry that to what everyone is saying is an accepted and new clubhouse culture then I can't help but get cised.

94 wins, NL East title, Bryce Harper 22 year old NL MVP.

I'll reserve from making postseason predictions until Summer.

SMOKE THAT HOMEGROWN HOE, GET THAT NATITUDE HIGH.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2311416 Previous topic | Next topic