Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2309759

Subject: "George Springer considering grievance against Astros" Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 02:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"George Springer considering grievance against Astros"

I don't think he'll win, but this makes me happy.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/03/union-george-springers-agent-considering-grievance.html

Union, George Springer's Agent Considering Grievance
By Charlie Wilmoth
SUNDAY: "We'd never use a contract tool to affect a person. They're separate, the business aspect and playing aspect," Astros GM Jeff Luhnow told Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

SATURDAY: The MLBPA and George Springer's agent Greg Genske are considering pursuing recourse over the matter of Springer's service time, Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle reports. Genske and the union have not decided what action they will take, if any, but Drellich writes that a grievance appears to be at least a possibility. It is also possible that Springer and the union will take no action.

Springer turned down a seven-year contract from the Astros, and they later sent him to the minors to start the season, perhaps in part because of worries over his service time. If Springer had agreed to the deal, his service time would no longer have been an issue, and the Astros might have been less concerned about having him start the season in the big leagues (although Springer only has 266 plate appearances at Triple-A, so having him start 2014 there isn't necessarily unreasonable, even leaving service time aside).

If Springer were to stick in the big leagues from Opening Day on, he could become eligible for free agency following the 2019 season rather than the 2020 season. Also, the timing of his promotion within the 2014 could affect whether he is eligible for arbitration three times or four, a difference that would likely amount to millions of dollars. Such considerations are routine in the timelines of promotions of top young players, but they do not always sit well with players or fans, since they can prevent worthy players from being in the Major Leagues.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I mean, he's not the first guy to be held back for FA clock
Mar 24th 2014
That's what I keep coming back to
Mar 24th 2014
      i can see situations where a fan would want a young player up
Mar 24th 2014
           That's a good point
Mar 25th 2014
that's a loser mentality in the front office..
Mar 24th 2014
and if he's insanely good right away they win 70 games instead of 60?
Mar 24th 2014
      it's not pandering to prospects..it's trying to infuse your lackluster
Mar 25th 2014

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 09:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I mean, he's not the first guy to be held back for FA clock"
In response to Reply # 0

Does the contract offer give him additional leverage that every other stud midseason call-up doesn't have?

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 10:32 PM

2. "That's what I keep coming back to"
In response to Reply # 1

>Does the contract offer give him additional leverage that
>every other stud midseason call-up doesn't have?

I think the answer is "no" but it definitely makes it look worse. That's why I'm guessing there's ultimately no grievance here. The mileage of "he's good enough to offer a seven year extension but not good enough to carry on the Opening Day roster?" is all they're going to get out of this. And that plus Luhnow's clueless response isn't nothing. Every front office would play Springer's service time the same way, but the Astros look particularly cynical and shitty about it. So writers and the few fans who care about this can make them sweat for a week until the season starts and then it'd done.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 11:24 PM

4. "i can see situations where a fan would want a young player up"
In response to Reply # 2

this is not one of them.

there can't possibly be astros fans out there that would choose this as "too far" as cheapness goes.

plus no one's really gonna feel bad for springer over a few million lost in his mid 20s in what might be a hundred million dollar career.

i admire his representation for putting it out there though.

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 06:33 AM

6. "That's a good point"
In response to Reply # 4

The Astros fans that care are the ones who want the Astros to have all their ducks in a row.

I also keep forgetting that they sort of blocked him with Fowler. That's enough to say there's no strong reason to think Springer will be better in 2014.

--Walleye's Dad

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 10:48 PM

3. "that's a loser mentality in the front office.."
In response to Reply # 0

doing shit like this..it really doesn't matter when the guy can become a free agent..because of frontin on him now..and the team losing...he won't stay with your squad..

you bring him up...you get some energy on your squad...you start winning some games.... maybe the guy will stick around and you can build with him..

last year between AA and AAA Springer hit .303.... 37 HRs... 108 RBIs...and 45 SBs....

the Astros could use some production...

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 11:27 PM

5. "and if he's insanely good right away they win 70 games instead of 60?"
In response to Reply # 3

i dunno, pandering to prospects instead of being patient like every other front office seems more loserish to me.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 11:16 AM

7. "it's not pandering to prospects..it's trying to infuse your lackluster"
In response to Reply # 5

team with talented young players so you can start to win games and get your fans back...

now if he's good..by doing all this you've pretty much guaranteed as soon as he can leave...he will.....

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2309759 Previous topic | Next topic