Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2309003

Subject: "Damn, Steve Smith Caught a DWB (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Fri Mar-21-14 07:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Damn, Steve Smith Caught a DWB (swipe)"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/steve-smith-gets-pulled-over-during-radio-show--and-it-s-hilarious-152748101.html

The newest Baltimore Raven hasn't taken long to make his presence felt. Steve Smith joined the team after his release from the Carolina Panthers, and he has been humble, deferential and excited about the next phase of his career.

He also has shown he's a pretty entertaining guy, despite the reputation he carries with some about being a hothead. But that's just not the whole picture of Smith.

Joining Dan LeBatard's ESPN Radio show, Smith was in the midst of answering a question about players he doesn't like in the NFL — dang it! — before he was pulled over by the police. It's about 1:24 into the video. Pretty funny transcript, if you ask me:

Smith: “Oh ... see, you guys got me in trouble. I’m getting pulled over by the police.”
Le Batard: “Right now? While we are talking to you?”
Smith: “Yep.”
Le Batard: “Were you speeding?”
Smith: “No, I’m not speeding. I guess I’m on my cellphone. … How about I keep you on hold while I go through the procedure?”
Le Batard: "And you'll tell us about it when you come back?"
Smith: "Yep."
Co-host Bomani Jones suggests at this point that it's possible that Smith was pulled over for something other than a cell phone. "Sounds like a man his height, driving a car that nice, they don't believe it's his," Jones said. After about three minutes, Smith got back at around the 4:30 mark. Turns out, Jones was right about this much: The cell phone was not the reason why Smith was pulled over.

Dan Le Batard: “You must have gotten out of the ticket if you’re back that fast, right?”
Smith: “Hey, when you don’t have any warrants or prior arrests, you know, it goes a long way with being a good citizen.”
Co-host Jon "Stugotz" Weiner: “Did you drop the Steve Smith card at all?”
Smith: “No I didn’t. My ID does that."
They all belly laugh.

Weiner: “Does your ID say 'NFL wide receiver'? Is the cop a football fan?”
Smith: “No, my ID is cleared as no priors, so I was good.”
Dan Le Batard: “What did you get in trouble for? Being on the cellphone?”
Smith: “Nah, you know. Uhh, hey, a brother driving a nice car … you know, sometimes they got to make sure … it all matches up.”
Jones couldn't help later on Twitter but to be amazed at what Smith has become in the NFL, despite two prior fights with teammates that could have derailed his career.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
steve smth, upstanding member of the community
Mar 21st 2014
seems like a good dude. he was on ellen's show the other day.
Mar 21st 2014
sounds about right
Mar 21st 2014
exactly.
Mar 21st 2014
I was listening to the show when it happened
Mar 22nd 2014

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Fri Mar-21-14 07:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "steve smth, upstanding member of the community"
In response to Reply # 0

>Smith: “No, my ID is cleared as no priors, so I was good.”

<--- Big Baller World Order

deejboram
Member since Sep 27th 2002
25755 posts
Fri Mar-21-14 07:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "seems like a good dude. he was on ellen's show the other day."
In response to Reply # 0

gave a lil 7yr old boy who is a SUPER FAN his new raven's jersey cause boy was mad he left panthers
it's on youtube
boys vid went viral

touching.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri Mar-21-14 07:32 PM

3. "sounds about right"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Fri Mar-21-14 08:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "exactly."
In response to Reply # 3

much more coincidental (timing-wise), than newsworthy.

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayerâ„¢

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Sat Mar-22-14 06:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I was listening to the show when it happened "
In response to Reply # 0

Bomani was like,"They're just not use to somebody that 'short' driving that nice of a car."

I cracked up it took the others a minute to catch on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2309003 Previous topic | Next topic