Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2253519

Subject: "Ex-Ducks player to Oregon fans 'Go (bleep) yourselves' (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
dotcomse
Member since Nov 09th 2005
719 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 07:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ex-Ducks player to Oregon fans 'Go (bleep) yourselves' (swipe)"

Any thoughts?

"I received the following letter from a former University of Oregon football player who attended his first football game as a fan last Saturday for the Ducks game vs. UCLA. This player played in a recent BCS bowl game for Oregon. Now he's a fan. He was incredibly disappointed and dismayed at what he observed.

Is the former player right? or is this an isolated experience?

His words...

I Love The Ducks. I Hate Duck Fans.

I, for the first time, attended a ducks game as spectator. I was excited to experience tailgating, cheering, and being with friends, rather than the seriousness that comes with preparing for a game. My buddy, whom I had given tickets to all throughout my time as a player, decided he wanted to pay me back and offer me tickets in corner end-zone seats as a regular fan. I accepted his offer with enthusiasm.

We enjoyed seeing friends, shaking hands, and sharing drinks with fellow supporters.

My friend and I took our seats where I soon became acquainted with the most ignorant people in all of college football. Directly behind me were a couple of drunk (expletive) who criticized Marcus' ability to throw the football, DeAnthony's ability to run the football, the lineman's ability block, and the coach's ability to analyze film and call plays. After hearing so much ignorant (expletive), I turned around to tell the "fans" to chill the (expletive) out. Marcus had overthrown a receiver on a tough play and the spectator made comment, "Hey, Marcus! Throw it inbounds, dumbass!" in, which I finally had enough, and turned around and asked if he would like to get down there and take Marcus' place. The man responded, "No". Then I asked if we were all still rooting for Oregon, in which he responded in an aggressive, irrelevant and incoherent manner and so I decided to discontinue the conversation I had started with him.

I was then verbally attacked by other spectators saying, "you need to keep your (expletive) mouth shut, because you don't know (expletive) about football." They claimed that I didn't know that they had coached college football, and that I had no idea what I was talking about. Ironic to say the least, considering my background and what you know of me, what my old teammates know of me, and what my old coaches know of me.

Not too long after, a woman a couple seats down yelled for 10 minutes straight about how the players were playing like "(expletive)". The coaches were being "(expletive)". The refs were being "(expletive)". All during the time I was telling my friend how embarrassing it was to have her on our side. And then I started hearing laughter from the surrounding crowd and encouragement of that behavior. Is this really what goes on in the stands? Is this really the type of people we attract???

I remember walking in from fall camp practice and talking to my teammates about how similar our lives were to the TV series Spartacus. We were slaves. We were paid enough to live, eat, and train... And nothing more. We went out on the field where we were broken down physically and mentally every day, only to wake up and do it again on the next. On the outside, spectators placed bets and objectified us. They put us on pedestals and worshipped us for a short time, but only as long as we were winning. In the end, we were just a bunch of dumbass (racial slur) for the owners to whip, and the rich to bet on.

What I described is a business, I know. It's how it works, and it is something we understand as athletes entering the system, as (expletive) up as it is. For many people entering that system, it's better than what life has to offer elsewhere. So they take it. But having been on the outside now, to witness this disgusting display of "support", I know that I want no (expletive) part of it. I will never attend a duck game as a spectator again. I am disgusted by duck fans and I will sit back and observe from afar with high hopes for the player's success and understanding of their sacrifice, without having to hear the spoiled woes of ignorant fans.

I will always love the ducks: my coaches, my teammates, my brothers and family. The rest... Go (expletive) yourselves."

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2013/10/canzano_blog_ex-ducks_player_t.html

"To go out and ruin somebody's dreams like that, it feels real good," - Oregon WR Jaison Williams

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't know what he was expecting.
Oct 29th 2013
I was hoping this was Joey Harrington
Oct 29th 2013
they're easily the most annoying fans in the P12 visiting the Coliseum
Oct 29th 2013
please dont respect U of A like that
Oct 29th 2013
is there really a difference between ASU and UA? both state schools
Oct 30th 2013
ah the Zona zoo... where a 'fan' managed to concuss one of our cheerlead...
Oct 30th 2013
they're right in there, it may just be that I go to more ASU games
Oct 30th 2013
i'm stealing 'no shit'-ness as an adjective. also, this article is
Oct 29th 2013
mind you, he sent this to the ONE columnist
Oct 29th 2013
To be fair, Canzano is the only game in town now
Oct 29th 2013
      while most of that is true...
Oct 29th 2013
fans being fans? shocker.
Oct 29th 2013
The woman in the stands in this piece is right about the refs though
Oct 29th 2013
so who was it
Oct 29th 2013
It appears to be former walk-on WR Dane Ebanez
Oct 29th 2013
      this numbnuts observation is pretty consistent with the anonymous letter
Oct 29th 2013
      Makes sense now
Oct 30th 2013
      yes n/m
Oct 30th 2013
Fans being short-sighted and vulgar? No way
Oct 29th 2013
I'm appalled
Oct 30th 2013
this part
Oct 30th 2013
RE: this part
Oct 30th 2013
he wasn't there for the new palace, in fairness
Oct 30th 2013
he's acting like a little (expletive). n/m
Oct 31st 2013

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 07:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't know what he was expecting."
In response to Reply # 0

That's literally what every stadium on this planet is like on gameday. Obviously some are worse than others, but they all have "those people" in them.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 07:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I was hoping this was Joey Harrington"
In response to Reply # 0

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 07:36 PM

3. "they're easily the most annoying fans in the P12 visiting the Coliseum"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-29-13 07:39 PM by Bombastic

with probably ASU second but at least their women look better.

And that's going back to before they got really good & seeing truckloads of these tools showing up with their goofy-ass Duck-bill-lipped noisemakers.

I don't think I saw the duck-lips last year during that shootout but in my lower end-zone section there was some older Duck fans who obviously didn't know shit about football cursing & acting to disgusted with their own team on basically any play that wasn't a touchdown (and considering they scored a TD on all but maybe 2 or 3 possessions all game it was even more ridiculous) along with a younger group that were passive-aggressively trying to start some shit I was too old to care about.

That being said, this dude's article is terrible in its 'no shit'-ness & makes mind-numbingly obvious observations that it mistakenly believes are revelations.

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 11:15 PM

13. "please dont respect U of A like that"
In response to Reply # 3

>with probably ASU second but at least their women look
>better.
>

(damn right at the women part) but U of A is SO MUCH WORSE BOMB COME ON.

they're all a bunch of spoiled, coke-head Californian or rich east coast / AZ snot-nosed entitled shitheads. i grew up with a lot of them.

but i will never, ever defend what goes in and comes out of ASU. its sickening. but the women are great to look at.

-----------------------------------------

3xKrazy
Charter member
21585 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 08:33 AM

17. "is there really a difference between ASU and UA? both state schools"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed Oct-30-13 08:33 AM by 3xKrazy

>they're all a bunch of spoiled, coke-head Californian or rich
>east coast / AZ snot-nosed entitled shitheads. i grew up with
>a lot of them.

ive met a lot of guys/gals from both schools that liked coke, lol. the girls from both schools are hot enough to make me not give a fuck about much else.

sfMatt
Member since Jun 20th 2002
10383 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 12:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "ah the Zona zoo... where a 'fan' managed to concuss one of our cheerlead..."

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 12:44 PM

23. "they're right in there, it may just be that I go to more ASU games"

I think I've only been to the U of A game twice, the turnout wasn't huge either & I've seen I believe every ASU game here since '04 with maybe one miss in between.

Least aggravating visiting fans I'd say would be Berkley, also the least amount of attractive women, not sure if there's a connection.

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 11:17 PM

14. "i'm stealing 'no shit'-ness as an adjective. also, this article is "
In response to Reply # 3

steeped in it.

there was nothing particularly ducky about the article or the situation he described.

at. all.

maybe if this was some mofo who transferred over here from australia after playing rugby i could understand how he wouldn't know all this shit, off-break.

and while i agree with a lot of his assessments, the 'no shit'ness fucks it up for me.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
** i move away from the mic to breathe in

sfMatt
10383 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 07:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "mind you, he sent this to the ONE columnist"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-29-13 07:41 PM by sfMatt

that the Duck fanbase absolutely loathes.

1) he's a delusional moron. (He is writing all of this based on his experience of one section of a 60k stadium, during a single game.)
2) his rant at the end, while something I'm sympathetic to generally, has nothing to do with anything

btw the fans already figured out who it was. Just an idiotic move writing this.

dotcomse
719 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 07:43 PM

6. "To be fair, Canzano is the only game in town now"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Oct-29-13 07:44 PM by dotcomse

Maybe he should've sent it to National Media, but if he wanted local impact... The Eugene paper has basically refreshed its ENTIRE staff in the last 3 years, and even though the beat-writer got a job at UO writing (arguably) fluff pieces, of COURSE he wasn't gonna publish it on www.goducks.com

Canzano seems to be really highly regarded nationally, so, there's that too, regardless of what Duck fans think of him. I'm not sure he should've published it, but it's on his blog, so I'm not sure he believed enough in it to commit it to tomorrow's paper anyway.

Edit: Didn't know the author had already been identified - I'll have to go take a look at ATQ

"To go out and ruin somebody's dreams like that, it feels real good," - Oregon WR Jaison Williams

sfMatt
10383 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 07:55 PM

7. "while most of that is true..."
In response to Reply # 6

there's still Ken Goe, for example.

Canzano is "respected" nationally because he says/writes shit with a loud voice and he's in the major-er market of PDX rather than Eugene.

Anybody that actually wants to get a read on the Ducks (that knows better) reaches past him to Eugene.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85078 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 07:41 PM

5. "fans being fans? shocker."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 08:50 PM

8. "The woman in the stands in this piece is right about the refs though"
In response to Reply # 0

Seriously, every fanbase have fans like this and they grow exponentially when your team/program is experiencing success.

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 09:32 PM

9. "so who was it"
In response to Reply # 0

--------

dotcomse
719 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 09:46 PM

10. "It appears to be former walk-on WR Dane Ebanez"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue Oct-29-13 09:48 PM by dotcomse

Matt can correct me if he's heard differently

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2012/12/canzano_a_fiesta_bowl_story_wo.html

Said offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich, "He'll do anything you ask of him; he's one of my favorite kids."

Also, it turns out Ebanez, a junior, is calling it quits this week. The Fiesta Bowl will be his final game.

I heard once from a college coach that every college player believes he's going to play in the NFL one day. I thought that to be true until Monday, when I met Ebanez and talked for a long while about the sacrifices he's made to remain a college athlete and the absurdity and hypocrisy of the NCAA.

His father, now retired, worked for years at the University of Alaska. His mother is a retired police officer. They helped pay his first year of college, but since he's not on scholarship and dedicates so much of his time to the full-time job that is college football, Ebanez has had to take out more than $70,000 in student loans during his four years of college. In fact, the NCAA is so strict with regulations during the academic year that the non-scholarship players aren't allowed to dine alongside those receiving financial aid for playing sports.

"We get out of our football meetings at night, and we're hungry and tired, and the scholarship players go off to the dining hall to eat together and us walk-ons all sort of just walk away and have to fend for ourselves," Ebanez said. "It's like a final little slap in the face."

3xKrazy
Charter member
21585 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 10:15 PM

11. "this numbnuts observation is pretty consistent with the anonymous letter"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue Oct-29-13 10:26 PM by 3xKrazy

>"We get out of our football meetings at night, and we're
>hungry and tired, and the scholarship players go off to the
>dining hall to eat together and us walk-ons all sort of just
>walk away and have to fend for ourselves," Ebanez said. "It's
>like a final little slap in the face."

the life of a scholarship athlete is pretty rad...being a walk-on is not quite as rad. gee whiz. the life of a CEO is better than being in the mailroom...the world is real fucked up like that.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 08:22 AM

15. "Makes sense now"

Had to be some walk on, wasn't going to be Carson York or someone a)recognizable or b) big in stature. Even in a crowd, people are chicken shit towards big dudes.

sfMatt
10383 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 12:29 PM

21. "yes n/m"

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 10:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Fans being short-sighted and vulgar? No way "
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66747 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 08:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "I'm appalled "
In response to Reply # 12

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 12:00 PM

18. "this part"
In response to Reply # 0

>I remember walking in from fall camp practice and talking to
>my teammates about how similar our lives were to the TV series
>Spartacus. We were slaves.

no. you really weren't

i really wish that meme would die

is the duality of commoditization vs student responsibility create a rough paradigm? yes

is ther an imbalance in income (what teams/athletes bring in) vs direct benefit (read: payment) to students? debateable

but SLAVES?

no

especially from someone who played at Oregon with their 50-zillion dollar players only facility which is bigger than most DORMS

c'mon man

the_time_is_when_god...lounge
Member since Nov 19th 2012
5495 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 12:14 PM

19. "RE: this part"
In response to Reply # 18

>especially from someone who played at Oregon with their
>50-zillion dollar players only facility which is bigger than
>most DORMS
>
>c'mon man

This is like saying your job isn't a dead end job because its at walmart

--------
Twitter: _TheloniousFunk
Instagram: thelonious_funk_

sfMatt
10383 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 12:31 PM

22. "he wasn't there for the new palace, in fairness"
In response to Reply # 18

of course he was there for the day-spa like treatment center and academic center, so...

mykonsept
Charter member
13567 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 02:15 PM

24. "he's acting like a little (expletive). n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2253519 Previous topic | Next topic