Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2250462

Subject: "Is this the Sissification of America? Bullying in Football." Previous topic | Next topic
MainSource
Member since Jul 28th 2012
4368 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Is this the Sissification of America? Bullying in Football."
Wed Oct-23-13 09:22 AM by MainSource

CBS NEWS/ October 22, 2013, 10:34 AM
Bullying complaint filed after 91-0 high school football score in Texas

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57608658/bullying-complaint-filed-after-91-0-high-school-football-score-in-texas/

PARKER COUNTY, TEXAS There was little chance of defeat when Aledo's undefeated Bearcats faced Fort Worth's Western Hills on the football field Friday.

The final score, 91-0, though, led one parent to file an official complaint of bullying against the entire coaching staff, reports CBSDFW.com.

Aledo ISD administrators say the complaint suggests the coaches should have told players to take it easy on the competition.

"I would never ask our kids not to play hard," said Aledo football coach Tim Buchanan. "I would never tell them, 'Go out and let them score.' That's not what you want to teach kids."

Buchanan said by halftime, when his team was up 56 points, he began actively trying to keep the score down, subbing in backup players, letting the clock run continuously, and instructing players to make fair catch calls.

"You don't want to embarrass... I've been on the other side of those scores. In 2011, Lake Travis scored 62 points on us. That doesn't feel good. It doesn't make the kids feel good"said Buchanan.

As for the bullying allegations, Aledo Superintendent Derek Citty said the district is following the same procedure it does with all bullying complaints. "We have to do an investigation and make sure there's no legitimacy to it."

The superintendent said, however, he's confident his coaches acted appropriately... something the football staff has asserted all along. "There was nothing unfair about it other than the fact that our players were better than their players," Buchanan said.

CBS 11 calls made to the Western Hills coaching staff were not returned.

Aledo ISD administrators are hopeful the University Interscholastic League (UIL) will place them in a different district next year, matching them against tougher competition.

© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Poll result (11 votes)
YES - America is going soft. (8 votes)Vote
NO - The kids needs to be protected. (1 votes)Vote
Push - But the Aledo coach is dead ass wrong (2 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Kids shouldn't be playing football then
Oct 23rd 2013
the winning team only passed 10 times
Oct 23rd 2013
More Details on the Story.... Video Link
Oct 23rd 2013
I assumed it would have been a mother, not a father complaining. n/m
Oct 23rd 2013
I blame soccer
Oct 23rd 2013
One parent not understanding football =/= "sissification" of america
Oct 23rd 2013
^
Oct 23rd 2013
Pardon me, but do you have kids that play Rec/Little league sports?
Oct 23rd 2013
Mercy rules aren't new.
Oct 23rd 2013
      And this is what the parent is asking for in HS football (add a Mercy Ru...
Oct 23rd 2013
           yup agreed all around.
Oct 23rd 2013
           Painting with that wide of a brush is sensationalist
Oct 23rd 2013
                At the Core, this kind of complaining is contagious
Oct 23rd 2013
                     It's the opposite,
Oct 23rd 2013
                          Let's hope so.
Oct 23rd 2013
                          agreed
Oct 23rd 2013
Participation trophies and the like aren't just one guy tho nm.
Oct 23rd 2013
complain about bullying in a game where the purpose is to bully
Oct 23rd 2013
Getting beat down builds character.
Oct 23rd 2013
      i assume the kid whose parent filed this is mortified
Oct 23rd 2013
      this is more embarrassing than a girl kissing you
Oct 23rd 2013
           like being called to the office during lunch because your mom
Oct 23rd 2013
                It's like having your mom Yell "I love you Babeeeee" from the stands.
Oct 23rd 2013
                     like having your mom come search for you
Oct 23rd 2013
                          ROTFL...
Oct 23rd 2013
                          lol my boys mom would do that or scream his name off
Oct 23rd 2013
                          feet look like she got a part time job stomping out forest fires...
Oct 23rd 2013
      it really does... I agree with this, good to be humbled at that age
Oct 23rd 2013
being a kid playing football, those ass kickings don't bother as much
Oct 23rd 2013
pretty much..i feel more disrespected if they started playing
Oct 23rd 2013
      what's more important in football is safety.
Oct 23rd 2013
           i'm fine with calling a game as well.
Oct 23rd 2013
I don't know how Texas does but in California, the CIF tries to
Oct 23rd 2013
yup
Oct 23rd 2013
Starting next year in Oklahoma, there's going to be virtual relegation
Oct 23rd 2013
that's mostly about tulsa area teams beating the shit
Oct 23rd 2013
Sort of
Oct 23rd 2013
I like this system. That way it's not only grouped by school size but
Oct 23rd 2013
In Texas private schools don't compete with public schools.
Oct 23rd 2013
      Yeah in Cali there are leagues that are only public schools for example
Oct 24th 2013
sidenote: i wish i remembered who complained about the '07 pats
Oct 23rd 2013
I don't recall if people complained or not about running up the score bu...
Oct 23rd 2013
honestly, they really weren't
Oct 23rd 2013
      I know we were all arguing about a 4th down play where they threw
Oct 23rd 2013
           there were maybe 1 or 2 games where they kept throwing
Oct 23rd 2013
Are these kids doing it because they're mad they got caught cheating?
Oct 23rd 2013
right, if you accept that made-up narrative.
Oct 23rd 2013
      lol@"made-up narrative", it HAPPENED...
Oct 23rd 2013
           the "running up the score" narrative
Oct 23rd 2013
it's in the archives (link)
Oct 23rd 2013
      thanks!
Oct 23rd 2013
this is why divisions are necessary...
Oct 23rd 2013
Divisions are currently just dictated by enrollment size
Oct 23rd 2013
      That IS pussification, if you have a football team, you should compete.....
Oct 23rd 2013
its only ONE parent who was on the fuck shit and he even
Oct 23rd 2013
Can we use this post to address all these Patriots apologists though?
Oct 23rd 2013
I can only imagine if Houston 95, SMU 21 occurred today instead of '89
Oct 23rd 2013
running up the score is asshole shit
Oct 24th 2013
Didn't really run up the score if you read the report
Oct 24th 2013

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Kids shouldn't be playing football then"
In response to Reply # 0

Behold my works,ye mighty

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the winning team only passed 10 times"
In response to Reply # 0

their starters only played between 20-30 plays.

they're just a lot better than the team that lost.

anybody who thinks that's bullying needs their head examined.

i still blame hip-hop.

MainSource
4368 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:26 AM

3. "More Details on the Story.... Video Link"
In response to Reply # 0

Parent accuses Texas high school football coach of bullying after 91-0 blowout game
Published October 22, 2013FoxNews.com
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/22/parent-accuses-texas-high-school-football-coach-bullying-after-1-0-blowout-game/

The coach of a Texas high school football team has been accused of bullying in a formal complaint after his team beat another school 91-0.

In the complaint, the dad of a player on the Western Hills High School football team claims Aledo High School football coach Tim Buchanan encouraged his players to bully their opponents by running up the score. Buchanan learned of the online complaint against him Saturday, the day after his team beat Western Hills in a 4A matchup.

"It wasn't good for anybody," Buchanan said. "I've sat and gone over and over and over it on what we could have done differently. The score could have very easily been 150 to nothing."

Buchanan tells MyFoxDFW.com he pulled his starters from the game after the first quarter and even eventually brought in his third-string players, but it was clear the game was going to be a blowout. The clock was also run continuously starting in the third quarter.

In the report, which was released Tuesday, the unnamed dad lists both football teams as victims and the Aledo High School coaching staff as the offenders. The parent claims “everyone in the football stadium” was a witness to Buchanan and his staff’s “unsportsmanlike conduct.”

"We all witnessed bullying firsthand, it is not a pretty sight," the complaint reads according to MyFoxDFW.com. “I did not know what to say on the ride home to explain the behavior of the Aledo coaches for not easing up when the game was in hand.”

Buchanan, whose team is averaging 69.3 points a game and is on its way to a 7-0 record, said he is not sure what else he could have done besides telling his players to take a knee.

"I'm not gonna tell a kid that comes out here and practices six to seven hours a week trying to get ready for football games ‘Hey, you can't score a touchdown if you get in, you're gonna have to take a knee,' cause that may be the only touchdown that kid gets to score in his high school career,” Buchanan told MyFoxDFW.com.

Under state law, Aledo's principal must investigate the complaint and prepare a report. The complaint was filed with the school district, which the law requires to provide bullying complaint forms on its websites.

The University Interscholastic League, the governing body for high school sports in Texas, only has a mercy rule for six-man football that ends a game when one team gets ahead by 45 points by halftime or later. There is no mercy rule for 11-man football, though coaches can agree to end a game early, UIL spokeswoman Kate Hector said. Buchanan said he wasn't aware of that option.

There were about 1,500 fans still in the stands at the end of the game, most of them Aledo's, he said. About 5,000 were at the Bearcats' stadium in Aledo at the beginning because it was a recognition night for band members' parents. A cold front that brought rain added another reason to leave when the game started to get out of hand, Buchanan said.

While blowouts are not uncommon in Texas high school football, Aledo has racked up several of them this season, due in part to being placed in a new district that has not been as strong in football. The Bearcats' average victory margin in four district games is 77 points.

The University Interscholastic League bases its realignment decisions on enrollment and geographic location to minimize travel time, a move aimed at reducing class absences. When Aledo was placed in a different district before last season, its travel time to the furthest location was cut from two hours to about 35 miles, Buchanan said.

Buchanan's team ran just 32 plays but scored on about every third one during Friday's game. Aledo rushed for 391 yards. It scored eight touchdowns on the ground, two each on passes and punt returns, and one on a fumble recovery.

"It certainly didn't seem like they were trying to run up the score in this case," Hector said.

Western Hills had 79 yards rushing and 67 yards passing.

The UIL follows NCAA rules, but most other states follow guidelines of the National Federation of State High School Associations, said Bob Colgate, the federation's director of sports and sports medicine.

Colgate said many of the federation's 48 member states and the District of Columbia have adopted a mercy rule in 11-man football. He noted that a survey published in February found that 16 states reported using a mercy rule with point margins, which are set by individual states, ranging from 30 points to 50 points.

Aledo Principal Dan Peterson said his report on the bullying complaint should be completed this week. It will be given to the father who filed the complaint and the staff at Western Hills.

Hector said anyone can submit a proposal for a rule change which could then be considered by the UIL's legislative council.

Buchanan said his school, winner of four state titles since 1998, and district are very supportive of the football program. The same, he said, cannot be said of Western Hills.

"It's not so much money as it is lack of emphasis," he said. "If you're going to have a program, support it."

........... My Ctrl+Alt+Delete is Mind Blowing!

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "I assumed it would have been a mother, not a father complaining. n/m"
In response to Reply # 3

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I blame soccer"
In response to Reply # 0

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:28 AM

5. "One parent not understanding football =/= "sissification" of america"
In response to Reply # 0

not sure who overreacted more, OP (original parent) or OP

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts

6. "^"
In response to Reply # 5

MainSource
4368 posts

7. "Pardon me, but do you have kids that play Rec/Little league sports?"
In response to Reply # 5

I do and it's sad.

Did you know that in many leagues they turn the scoreboard off during basketball game blowouts or when they stop the baseball game after 10 runs in the 4th inning to protect the kids feelings?

These parents are out of control and this kind of crying aka sissification is creeping into HS sports.

So, I'm not overreacting I'm asking a prophetic questions about future habits that my turn into policy.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:45 AM

10. "Mercy rules aren't new. "
In response to Reply # 7

They've existed forever. Texas doesn't have a clock rule like most other states have (I don't think) where they just don't stop the clock in football if the game gets out of hand. That's been happening for decades.

The run rule in little league has been around since at least the early 80s when I first encountered it, if not before.

Referees in boxing have been stopping fights early forever.

MainSource
4368 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:51 AM

12. "And this is what the parent is asking for in HS football (add a Mercy Ru..."
In response to Reply # 10

And turning off the scoreboard in basketball game is not a mercy rule. And when I was coming up, the only Mercy Rule was a running clock to end the damn game faster.

>They've existed forever. Texas doesn't have a clock rule like
>most other states have (I don't think) where they just don't
>stop the clock in football if the game gets out of hand.
>That's been happening for decades.
>
>The run rule in little league has been around since at least
>the early 80s when I first encountered it, if not before.
>
>Referees in boxing have been stopping fights early forever.

I know this, but you see the story is getting National exposure, which is only going to cause some local elected official to get involved. And then the crying is going to become contagious, which will lead to a new policy in High School Sports.

So all of this trying to call the OP out is some BS.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:59 AM

13. "yup agreed all around."
In response to Reply # 12

>And when I was coming up, the only Mercy Rule was a running clock to end the damn game faster.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:04 AM

14. "Painting with that wide of a brush is sensationalist"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Oct-23-13 10:12 AM by B9

This isolated incident of a single parent misusing a new policy regarding bullying isn't some bellwether moment for the direction of the country. If anything, and I think Texas needs to look at it anyway, they may examine a running clock situation or Western Hills should contemplate why the hell they are even playing football (they've gotten housed a number of times this year).

This makes national news because it's ridiculous and there's a ton of crap hyped up as newsworthy that isn't by junk media.

Edit: Actually, Texas has a rule as of this year for running the clock, but apparently they didn't follow it in this game. They ran the clock only starting in the 3rd quarter when the rule states any game that gets to a 40 point deficit any time after halftime should have a continuous clock. The litigious parent should file a complaint against the score keeper or official.

Extra edit: actually, it was West Hills coach that asked for the clock not to run in the 3rd.

MainSource
4368 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:21 AM

18. "At the Core, this kind of complaining is contagious "
In response to Reply # 14

And if it gains momentum it can easily grow legs and become a beast of unwanted change. All it takes is some Joe the Plummer type dude to start hitting the Stop Bullying movement/ campaign trail.

Bluebear
Member since Apr 06th 2003
3757 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:51 AM

27. "It's the opposite, "
In response to Reply # 18

The father in this situation is the only one who looks bad. Highlighting that your team was dominated by another team's third string isn't in anyone's best interest. I think this is just fox news' version of the "attack on Christmas/attack on traditional American sports" etc and they always do this. Pick on an extreme example and try to make it seem like a trend. I'm sure there were hundreds of people in the stands and only one filed a complaint. Since then no one else has signed the complaint and the story doesn't quote anyone else who agreed with him.

MainSource
4368 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 11:06 AM

28. "Let's hope so. "
In response to Reply # 27

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 11:24 AM

31. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 27
Wed Oct-23-13 11:28 AM by pretentious username

there does seem to be a recent trend of "not keeping score" and other protections that are worth discussing, but there's always gonna be an extreme example like this that people will point to as "a sign of the times" when it isn't. these complaints have always existed, there's just more avenues for those complaints to become heard. we have to remember it's also father filing a compliant, not the whole team or even the coach. when haven't sports parents complained about one thing or another?

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:40 AM

20. "Participation trophies and the like aren't just one guy tho nm."
In response to Reply # 5

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:41 AM

9. "complain about bullying in a game where the purpose is to bully"
In response to Reply # 0

i can't believe it was a man, actually he is no man, that complained. this is more embarrasing for the losing team than the actual game itself, no shame in taking an asswhooping like a man when it's a fair one.

MainSource
4368 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:46 AM

11. "Getting beat down builds character. "
In response to Reply # 9

I bet the loosing team will remember this beat down and they will work harder, give more effort and give the same in return.

veritas
37201 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:05 AM

15. "i assume the kid whose parent filed this is mortified"
In response to Reply # 11

it's bad enough to catch a beatdown like this.

this just makes it linger.

i still blame hip-hop.

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:14 AM

16. "this is more embarrassing than a girl kissing you"
In response to Reply # 15

on the playground in 2nd grade

veritas
37201 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:18 AM

17. "like being called to the office during lunch because your mom"
In response to Reply # 16

brought your medication.

i still blame hip-hop.

MainSource
4368 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:24 AM

19. "It's like having your mom Yell "I love you Babeeeee" from the stands. "
In response to Reply # 17

ne_atl
Charter member
18873 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "like having your mom come search for you"
In response to Reply # 19

in a bath robe and slippers with ashy feet...in front of your boys.

nope, I never got over that.

MainSource
4368 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:45 AM

24. "ROTFL... "
In response to Reply # 23

Yeah, you should get clowned into your 40's for that.

Cenario
59181 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:46 AM

26. "lol my boys mom would do that or scream his name off"
Wed Oct-23-13 10:46 AM by Cenario

the terrace. They was on the 16th floor. You could see the rollers in her hair from the ground level.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 12:38 PM

34. "feet look like she got a part time job stomping out forest fires..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Ditch the paper, save the trees, and go mobile! Text bizcard to 32462!

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:41 AM

22. "it really does... I agree with this, good to be humbled at that age"
In response to Reply # 11

<< Started From The Bottom

@rob_starrk

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:41 AM

21. "being a kid playing football, those ass kickings don't bother as much"
In response to Reply # 0

as losing by 3 or something... when you are 12 years old and some team just whips your ass it's easier to shrug it off and just say damn, they better... It's actually a good humbling experience as a kid...

Cenario
59181 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:45 AM

25. "pretty much..i feel more disrespected if they started playing"
In response to Reply # 21

differently b.c. they were killing us or started fooling around.

Certain rules I can kind of get with (like calling off the press at a certain point in basketball) but i'm not sure what you can do in football about it besides speeding up the clock.

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 11:14 AM

29. "what's more important in football is safety."
In response to Reply # 25

like those teams where every player has 30 pounds on the other team. that's where you might want to call a game if your QB/RB is getting assaulted.

Cenario
59181 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 11:25 AM

32. "i'm fine with calling a game as well."
In response to Reply # 29

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 11:16 AM

30. "I don't know how Texas does but in California, the CIF tries to "
In response to Reply # 0

prevent this type of shit by having a large number of divisions, teams play up divisions during the regular season to test themselves, but rarely play down

a lot of teams that recruit heavily will be in the same division as a school that does zero recruiting strictly based on the size of its student body, which leads to some huge blowouts in some match ups that would look even steven on paper

meanwhile the teams that are clearly more serious programs from the players to the facilities to the uniforms are beating schools in higher divisions, but are content with being top dog in a lower division rather than moving up and competing, and really that's the only problem

I think with a blowout like this the bullying charges are ridiculous and petty, but these teams also have no business playing each other and the coaches are fully responsible for taking this game if it was interdivisional, and if these teams are in the same division... they need not to be

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 12:48 PM

36. "yup"
In response to Reply # 30

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 01:06 PM

38. "Starting next year in Oklahoma, there's going to be virtual relegation"

in the top size tier (6A). Two regional 6A "One" divisions with 8 schools each, then a second tier of regionally restricted 6A schools that will compete for the right to move up, complete with separate state championships for both divisions. I'm interested to see how it will play out.

veritas
37201 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 01:12 PM

40. "that's mostly about tulsa area teams beating the shit "
In response to Reply # 38

out of everyone, right?

i still blame hip-hop.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 01:31 PM

41. "Sort of"
In response to Reply # 40

Tulsa Public Schools, at least the good football schools (Booker T and East Central) have fluctuated in enrollment over the past five years, riding the line of 6A and 5A, because of policy changes and constant reclassification by OSSAA that really favors the suburban mega schools like Broken Arrow and Norman. Add to that some of the Tulsa area suburban schools that have recently exploded in population but not in football playing ability (lets face it, if you live in Bixby but are good enough to play at Union or Jenks, they find a way to make it happen), and they really needed to separate the Sapulpa's from the Edmond North's. As for how they broke them into the two separate divisions, since only four are really Tulsa area schools and two are the perennial #1 and 2 in the state, they broke them up so they only meet in the state tournament. This means a team like Owasso (who isn't that great in football, anyway, just a gargantuan school) will travel to the 120+ miles to the OKC area 4-5 times a year. That's sort of crazy. They could go just down the street to BTW and get their asses handed to them.

Here's how the divisions are broken down:

Division I

District 1

Edmond Memorial
Broken Arrow
Edmond Santa Fe
Jenks
Norman
Putnam City
Westmoore
Yukon

District 2

Edmond North
Moore
Mustang
Norman North
Owasso
Putnam City North
Southmoore
Union

Division II

Division 1

B.T. Washington
Bartlesville
Bixby
Claremore
Muskogee
Ponca City
Sand Springs
Sapulpa

Division 2

Putnam City West
Choctaw
Eisenhower
Enid
Lawton
Midwest City
Stillwater
U.S. Grant

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 01:54 PM

43. "I like this system. That way it's not only grouped by school size but"
In response to Reply # 38

also by competitiveness of the program

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 03:49 PM

53. "In Texas private schools don't compete with public schools. "

So there's no real recruiting going on. People move into school districts for better sports opportunities.
Schools play based on sizes. Districts are drawn geographically.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.†-Albert Camus

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Thu Oct-24-13 08:05 AM

59. "Yeah in Cali there are leagues that are only public schools for example"
In response to Reply # 53

Los Angeles City Section. CIF is a mix of both

pretentious username
12493 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 11:32 AM

33. "sidenote: i wish i remembered who complained about the '07 pats"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-23-13 11:32 AM by pretentious username

one of these posts pops up every month or so, and i'm certain some have complained about grown men running up the score while contending that little kids need to suck it up and learn something from the ass-beating.

LegacyNS
38095 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 12:40 PM

35. "I don't recall if people complained or not about running up the score bu..."
In response to Reply # 33

I do know people were saying own that shit. Don't be out there running up the score & then try to play it off like you're not.. lololol

<---- 5....

pretentious username
12493 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 01:59 PM

44. "honestly, they really weren't"
In response to Reply # 35

that's why pat haters never cited any examples, they just saw a ridiculous score and said "they ran it up". the pats would run the ball when the score got out of hand. when defenses couldn't stop that, people on here actually argued that they should punt in the red zone or kick field goals instead of letting the defense try to stop them. that's absolutely silly.

LegacyNS
38095 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 03:30 PM

47. "I know we were all arguing about a 4th down play where they threw"
In response to Reply # 44

the ball but honestly it was so long ago I don't remember the specifics..
<---- 5....

pretentious username
12493 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 03:37 PM

51. "there were maybe 1 or 2 games where they kept throwing"
In response to Reply # 47

when they probably shouldn't have, but it was all overblown. check the 4th qtr play-by-plays if you care enough:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/ne/year/2007

the last couple drives in those blowouts tended to be running/matt cassell subbing in.

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 03:04 PM

46. "Are these kids doing it because they're mad they got caught cheating?"

Cmon.

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

pretentious username
12493 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 03:31 PM

48. "right, if you accept that made-up narrative."
In response to Reply # 46

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 03:34 PM

49. "lol@"made-up narrative", it HAPPENED..."
In response to Reply # 48

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_National_Football_League_videotaping_controversy

pretentious username
12493 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 03:38 PM

52. "the "running up the score" narrative"
In response to Reply # 49

keep up.

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 08:27 PM

55. "it's in the archives (link)"

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=57204&mesg_id=57204&listing_type=search

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

pretentious username
12493 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 08:55 PM

56. "thanks!"
In response to Reply # 55

to bshelly's credit: he was the leader of the movement but took it back in a separate post.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 12:51 PM

37. "this is why divisions are necessary..."
In response to Reply # 0

..better appropriation would eliminate all of this

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B7E8dge7H8Y

..and miles to go before i sleep...

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 01:08 PM

39. "Divisions are currently just dictated by enrollment size"
In response to Reply # 37

West Hills has the same enrollment classification as this school that beat them up, but just less of a taste for football. They need to reclassify that crap so it doesn't happen.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 01:49 PM

42. "That IS pussification, if you have a football team, you should compete....."
In response to Reply # 39

with schools in your area of similar size.

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 02:11 PM

45. "its only ONE parent who was on the fuck shit and he even "
In response to Reply # 0

changed his mind now since he found out that both coaches talked about the protocol if the game got out of hand.

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 03:36 PM

50. "Can we use this post to address all these Patriots apologists though?"
In response to Reply # 0

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 08:10 PM

54. "I can only imagine if Houston 95, SMU 21 occurred today instead of '89"
In response to Reply # 0

The newswire would have gone nuclear

<-Fear Ameer

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Thu Oct-24-13 07:22 AM

57. "running up the score is asshole shit"
In response to Reply # 0

seriously

have some decency

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Thu Oct-24-13 07:40 AM

58. "Didn't really run up the score if you read the report"
In response to Reply # 57

They didn't run a ton of plays, didn't throw the ball the second half, weren't going for the end zone. The coach said it best, you can't really tell a 2nd or 3rd stringer to take a knee at the 1 over and over again; that would be even more assholeish, I think, to just fart on the goal line like that.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2250462 Previous topic | Next topic