Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2238503

Subject: "College Football Talk." Previous topic | Next topic
guru0509
Charter member
45359 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 09:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"College Football Talk."
Mon Sep-30-13 09:51 AM by guru0509

List your top 10.

and then any concerns about your squad's schedule/depth chart/ranking/recruiting/coaching change/ whatever

edit, damn, UCONN just gave their HC the chop as well. Heads are rolling.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9747760/paul-pasqualoni-fired-connecticut-huskies-football-coach

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Earl Campbell says Mack's gotta go lol
Sep 30th 2013
hmm
Sep 30th 2013
Kiper McShay weigh in - When will USC will be elite again/NFL prospects
Sep 30th 2013
pretty much all I've been trying to tell Coolidge
Oct 03rd 2013
fuckatop10
Sep 30th 2013
wonder where Mixon will go. Badgers on him hard...him and Chris James
Sep 30th 2013
      Supposedly ucla is on him hard and he is listening, unless Cal starts wi...
Sep 30th 2013
           We've been keeping him at arm's length...
Oct 02nd 2013
                Mixon and Mama (Damien) coming to UW for visit on Oct 12
Oct 03rd 2013
                James is done. No future visits.
Oct 03rd 2013
                     are we talking about the same james?
Oct 04th 2013
                          lol probably not?
Oct 04th 2013
                I think Oregon is out of the picture at this point. UCLA may be coming o...
Oct 03rd 2013
                     Unless we decide otherwise, agreed *smug*
Oct 03rd 2013
So Dodds is stepping down... which means
Sep 30th 2013
Goodbye Mack Brown
Sep 30th 2013
The gov't shutdown very well may fuck up Duke's bowl eligibility.
Oct 02nd 2013
THANKS A LOT OBAMMA
Oct 02nd 2013
not sure if you've noticed, but UNC kinda sucks
Oct 02nd 2013
we are really bad this year
Oct 02nd 2013
Duke is usually pretty miserable on the road.
Oct 02nd 2013
beating Navy prob be an upset for Duke anyhow
Oct 02nd 2013
I've considered that... but Cutty's 2-0 against them with Duke.
Oct 02nd 2013
just saw United has offered to fly Air Force to their game for free?
Oct 02nd 2013
I'm anxious to see mizzou & illinois in conf play, if the both could win...
Oct 02nd 2013
Anybody else gambling on college football?
Oct 02nd 2013
Wisconsin W came at a heavy price..Christian Bryant out for the year
Oct 02nd 2013
Vonn Bell time?
Oct 02nd 2013
Clinton Dix suspended?
Oct 02nd 2013
HaHa
Oct 02nd 2013
oh my. Coach gave him MONEY!!!!!
Oct 03rd 2013
ummm, not that I even give a shit at this point
Oct 03rd 2013
      $500 loan. I think HCD paid it back to the coach.
Oct 03rd 2013
           super explanations
Oct 03rd 2013
What up tho? He'll be back and ready for the ducks. ***shots fired***
Oct 03rd 2013
*ahem*
Oct 03rd 2013
b4 he and Dee Hart signed Bama bought their hs a multimillion $ facility...
Oct 04th 2013
      yea that shit was mad under-discussed during the past year
Oct 04th 2013
      What? Please provide supporting evidence.
Oct 05th 2013
           lol.. seriously?
Oct 05th 2013
           Yeah, seriously. And if it's true it must be legal.
Oct 05th 2013
           use google bro. its a 3 year old story, not a rumor.
Oct 08th 2013
                for real. that's known.
Oct 08th 2013
                Sorry for having a life 3 years ago and now. It was and is a non-story....
Oct 08th 2013
                     lol please
Oct 08th 2013
Rutgers expects 200+ mill from move to B1G
Oct 03rd 2013
will being in Big 10 help them keep Kyle Flood?
Oct 03rd 2013
dude is a heck of a coach..i bet Rutgers could beat 6 B1G teams today.
Oct 03rd 2013
funny that the Board of Govs meets in Camden not New Brunswick
Oct 03rd 2013
Stanford is going to bring montlake back to earth this weekend
Oct 04th 2013
IDK, Sark and UW are playing really well this season and they did beat
Oct 04th 2013
      Admittedly I have Eugene eyes, but you have Cal eyes
Oct 04th 2013
           My Cal eyes have nothing to do with believing UW will beat Stanford
Oct 04th 2013
good W for the Skers, Abdullah fuckin' beasted
Oct 05th 2013

guru0509
Charter member
45359 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 10:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Earl Campbell says Mack's gotta go lol"
In response to Reply # 0

Earl Campbell used the power in his legs to become one of the most prolific running backs in the college game and the NFL in the 1970s and '80s.

The strength of Campbell's voice at the University of Texas could be the last shoe to drop for Mack Brown in 2013.

Campbell, speaking Sunday to KRIV-TV in Houston, said the time has come for Brown to step down as coach or be forced out at Texas.

Campbell Nobody likes to get fired or leave a job, but things happen. I'd go on record and say yes, I think it's time.

-- Earl Campbell on Mack Brown
"Nobody likes to get fired or leave a job, but things happen," Campbell said, according to the Fox affiliate. "I'd go on record and say yes, I think it's time."

Before a 31-21 win over visiting Kansas State to open Big 12 play on Saturday, Texas (2-2) had lost two games in a row after posting three subpar seasons, putting Brown on the hot seat in one of the most coveted coaching jobs in the nation.

But Campbell thinks it's too little, too late for Brown to save his job.

"I'd just say this, I take my hat off for USC for what they've done," Campbell said of one of the other top jobs, left temporarily vacant Sunday after the Trojans fired Lane Kiffin. "They didn't mess around with it. They just said, 'Let's do it now.' I think at some point our university's people are going to have make a decision."

Brown, who is under contract until 2020 and will be paid $5.4 million this year, took Texas to the 2005 national title. The Longhorns advanced to the championship game after the 2009 season but lost to Alabama.

Brown, who has been adamant that he would not step down any time soon, was scheduled to speak Monday at a regularly scheduled noon ET news conference in Austin.

Texas next plays at Iowa State on Thursday (7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN).

The Longhorns are 24-18 since that loss to the Crimson Tide, and Brown, 62, was under fire from fans upset about a 1-2 start this year after consecutive lopsided losses to BYU and Mississippi.

"Some people get too old," said Campbell, the 1977 Heisman Trophy winner with the Longhorns and NFL Hall of Famer after an eight-year career with the Houston Oilers and, briefly, the New Orleans Saints. "If players get too old to play a game, why can't a coach get too old to coach it?"

Campbell even suggested Brown's replacement.

"If we're going to make a change, I would like to say that we got one in the house, Jerry Gray, who's getting in the College Football Hall of Fame," Campbell said of the former two-time All America defensive back at Texas, now the defensive coordinator of the Tennessee Titans. "I think that would be a good place to start."

Campbell said the decision to call for Brown's ouster didn't come easily.

"Very hard because Coach Brown is a very good man," Campbell said. "I just hope he doesn't stay. ... He's done some great things. The program, he brought it back, and we don't need it to get run down where somebody has to start all over again."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

-------------------

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 10:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "hmm"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Oregon
2. Bama
3. Stanford
4. Ohio St.
5. Louisville
6. Oklahoma
7. Miami
8. UCLA
9. Georgia
10. Clemson

My biggest worry for the Sooners is play calling in short yardage situations, and our inability to run block when the defense knows we'll be running.

I think they can get that figured out though.

i still blame hip-hop.

guru0509
Charter member
45359 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 10:50 AM

3. "Kiper McShay weigh in - When will USC will be elite again/NFL prospects"
In response to Reply # 0

When will USC be elite again?
Timetable for Trojans to be contenders again, plus rising draft prospects
Updated: September 30, 2013, 11:22 AM ET
By Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay | ESPN Insider
EMAIL
PRINT
Marqise Lee
Harry How/Getty Images
How long will it be before USC is again a national title contender?
Each week during the college football season, Mel Kiper and Todd McShay kick off the week by settling a debate, and then look at emerging NFL prospects and peek ahead to next week.

The discussion: How soon can USC be a title contender again?
Mel Kiper: There's a pretty good argument to be made that the USC job is more appealing now than when Pete Carroll left for Seattle. I mean that.

Think about it:

• The threat of probation and scholarship losses is gone. The punishment has come down, and the worst of it will soon be over.
• You're not taking over for Carroll, who had a brilliant run. You're taking over for Lane Kiffin, who had an awful run.

But what Kiffin did not do was tarnish the brand of USC football. In fact, the fact that Kiffin has been fired shows that people understand he wasn't good enough to lead the brand. Just because the guy couldn't drive the Lamborghini doesn't make the car any less valuable. Yes, Kiffin faced challenges due to the scholarship restrictions (so maybe the air in the tires was low), but his failure still leaves the feeling that the program wasn't the problem. That USC recruited so well during the Kiffin era, even with those restrictions, reinforces this for me. This is a team that doesn't need to change its uniforms for a big game. This is a powerful football brand.

Bottom line: There isn't a coach that won't take a call from USC. I'm not saying the Trojans can just go and get anybody they want, but this is one of the great jobs in college football. You have the fan base as the biggest football show in town (even with UCLA's resurgence), you sit in the middle of a massive region full of talent and you even have sparkling new facilities.

Whether it's Jack Del Rio, Kevin Sumlin, Tim DeRuyter, Chris Peterson or any other number of candidates -- I still think Mike Riley would do a great job -- if Pat Haden hires someone with a track record of success, he's going to have a program that can be in contention for national titles within the next few years. The key is the track record of success. USC is always going to have talent; a better coach and leader will have them back near the top soon.

McShay: Traditional powerhouses that go through a down period can be restored quickly so long as the program finds the right leader. Alabama, Florida and even USC (back in 2002) are all examples of big-time programs that had begun to sputter but quickly got back on track after landing the right coaches (Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Carroll).

EnlargeDuke Ihenacho
AP Photo/Jack Dempsey
Jack Del Rio, who played at USC, has been mentioned as a possible replacement for Lane Kiffin.
What makes the right guy? To me, it's someone who can assemble the right coaching staff to accomplish the following three goals: (1) identify talent; (2) develop talent; and (3) establish program discipline. (For the last one, I mean that from the classroom to practices to games you get your athletes to fulfill their responsibilities and execute at a high level.)

Taking this from the abstract to the literal, however, just what kind of a situation will the next Trojans coach be walking into? A pretty good one. USC has everything a coach needs to succeed in terms of tradition, support from the school and facilities. And unlike during Kiffin's tenure, the effect from the scholarship restrictions shouldn't be too bad (they are set to expire following the 2014 season).

While Kiffin and his staff definitely failed in many ways, the reality is that Kiffin took this job when the team's talent level was on the decline. The Trojans recruited well during his tenure and did an adequate job at player development, but these were not the Carroll-era Trojans that had an average of 7.6 draft picks and four first- and second-rounders each year from 2003-09. From 2010-13 USC averaged 5.8 draft picks and just 1.5 first- and second-rounders. This decline in talent level can't all be put on Kiffin. Carroll got out at the right time, with both the NCAA bearing down on the program and the team's recruiting slipping a bit from the elite level of its previous seasons.

Looking ahead, USC won't be losing too much off this year's roster. WR Marqise Lee has a first-round grade, but the rest of the team's NFL draft prospects have mid-round grades: DE Morgan Breslin, RB Silas Redd, DE Devon Kennard and OLB Dion Bailey.

The bottom line for USC is that if it hires the right coach, it won't take long for the Trojans to be back on track. The restrictions will slow that process a little bit, so if it took programs like Alabama and Florida two years to become national title contenders, it might take USC three years to get the talent back up to that point.

But this is still a fantastic job. Very few coaches in the country have better gigs than the one that is now open at USC, in my opinion.

On the rise
McShay: LSU Tigers QB Zach Mettenberger and Georgia Bulldogs QB Aaron Murray
Few players in the country have made more money (as it pertains to his draft stock and future NFL earnings) in the past month than Mettenberger. I gave him a seventh-round grade in the offseason based off of 2012 tape study, but right now he looks like a QB with enough developmental upside to warrant mid-round consideration -- and some think even more highly of him than that.

He is more confident in everything he's doing, from pre-snap reads to progressions to accuracy to his command of the huddle. The biggest weakness in his game remains his lack of mobility, and in order to overcome that in the NFL he'll have to be great mentally (pre-snap reads, diagnosing coverages on drops, and quickly and efficiently going through progressions).

Right now he's a developmental backup in the NFL, one whose ideal situation would be similar to those of Ryan Mallett in New England and Brock Osweiler in Denver, but considering how much improvement he's shown in a short time under new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, he's given NFL teams much more reason to believe in him than before.

As for Murray, we gave him a fourth-/fifth-round grade coming into the season, and he's certainly helped his cause as a senior. He's undersized, still needs to be more consistent with ball placement and his tempo, timing and trajectory on certain throws.

But I'm really impressed with how he handled the pressure of the moment in the win over LSU, further distancing himself from his reputation for not coming through in big games. He's improved his velocity this season but has always had adequate-to-good arm strength.

EnlargeJared Abbrederis
Andrew Weber/USA TODAY Sports
Jared Abbrederis had over 200 receiving yards against OSU on Saturday.
Kiper: Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin Badgers
He's not a first-rounder. He's almost certainly not even a two. But Abbrederis will go somewhere in the middle of the draft next May, and he's going to help an NFL team. If you predicted how the Ohio State-Wisconsin game would go, you might have figured the Buckeyes would stick star corner Bradley Roby on Abbrederis and take him out of the game so Wisconsin would have to stay persistent with the run. Instead, Abbrederis got the upper hand on Roby, and finished with 10 catches for 207 yards and a TD catch. Ohio State actually did a pretty good job against the run -- it was Abbrederis they couldn't stop.

Abbrederis is a good route-runner, has strong hands and knows how to create separation both through changing speeds, and with little veteran moves such as hand play. You saw him keep Roby away with his left hand and catch the ball with his right on Saturday. Roby had to hold Abbrederis and actually got away with a level of contact that wouldn't work for him on Sundays. One quiet note on Abbrederis: for a guy who will probably run in the 4.55-6 range, he's a big-play regular. He's averaged over 17 yards per catch in each of the last two seasons and is at 17.3 this year.

Almost famous
Kiper: Zach Kerr, DT, Delaware Blue Hens
At 6-foot-2, 320 pounds, Kerr moves remarkably well, like a guy who weighs 70 pounds less. So how does he end up at Delaware? Well, he was a big-time high school athlete and actually played for a couple of seasons at Maryland (and he did see a lot of the field) before he transferred here. On Saturday against James Madison his athleticism was again on display. He had seven tackles, picked up a half sack and was just constantly disruptive.

At the next level, I can see Kerr in virtually any scheme. He's athletic and can be a three-tech attacking gaps, but he's also a really good run-stopper and can line up over the center and take on two gaps. But he's going to be an NFL starter or at worst a strong rotation player on a good defensive line.

McShay: RB Antonio Andrews and LB Andrew Jackson, Western Kentucky Hilltoppers
The Hilltoppers beat Navy this week in a way you might not expect from a Bobby Petrino-coached win: with a strong run game and disciplined defense.

Andrews, who projects to be high on the list of priority free-agent RBs in the 2014 class, provided NFL scouts with a good tape to study on Saturday, rushing for 182 yards and two scores on 32 carries.

Jackson, whom we gave a third-round grade during preseason tape study, is now our fifth-ranked ILB. He finished with seven tackles against Navy, including one TFL. He really impressed me with his discipline versus the option, as he read his keys and did a good job of scraping down the line, keeping blockers off his body. And the few times I saw him take chances shooting gaps, he delivered with the tackle or at least re-routed the ball-carrier.

The big question
McShay: Can Washington score against Stanford's defense?

The Huskies' offense is headlined by three fast-rising prospects who will be facing a big test in the Cardinal's complex, physical and disciplined defense.

UW QB Keith Price has regained his confidence and is performing well this season after struggling in 2012, RB Bishop Sankey is a workhorse coming off a 40-carry performance in the win over Arizona, and WR Kasen Williams is a veteran possession receiver with good route-running skills and strong hands.

The Stanford defense has plenty of talent as well, including three guys in our top 140 prospects (all of whom have mid-round grades and are on the rise): OLB Trent Murphy, LB Shayne Skov and S Ed Reynolds.

Kiper: Can Maryland do to Florida State what they just did to West Virginia?

No, I'm not saying the Terps have any shot to shut out the Seminoles -- and certainly not in Tallahassee. But after watching West Virginia beat Oklahoma State on Saturday, you could argue that Maryland's 37-0 thrashing of the Mountaineers last week is one of the more impressive results of the college football season so far. The Terps will come in at 4-0, they're allowing just 10.3 points per game and under 4 yards per play so far, and they'll have had two weeks to prepare. Florida State got the win this weekend in Boston College, but they came out sluggish and got behind. Florida State should win this game, but if the Noles are looking past Maryland with Clemson on the calendar the week after, they could slip up.

RECOMMEND0TWEET0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINTInsiderSUBSCRIBE

Mel Kiper Jr.
Football analyst
Archive
ESPN NFL Draft analyst since 1984
Contributes to SportsCenter and ESPN Radio
Writes weekly for ESPN Insider

Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.
FollowArchive
ESPN College Football and NFL Draft Analyst
Joined ESPN in 2006
Played quarterback in high school and was a backup QB for the University of Richmond.

-------------------

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 05:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
37. "pretty much all I've been trying to tell Coolidge"
In response to Reply # 3

>How long will it be before USC is again a national title
>contender?
>Each week during the college football season, Mel Kiper and
>Todd McShay kick off the week by settling a debate, and then
>look at emerging NFL prospects and peek ahead to next week.
>
>The discussion: How soon can USC be a title contender again?
>Mel Kiper: There's a pretty good argument to be made that the
>USC job is more appealing now than when Pete Carroll left for
>Seattle. I mean that.
>
>Think about it:
>
>• The threat of probation and scholarship losses is gone. The
>punishment has come down, and the worst of it will soon be
>over.
>• You're not taking over for Carroll, who had a brilliant run.
>You're taking over for Lane Kiffin, who had an awful run.
>
>But what Kiffin did not do was tarnish the brand of USC
>football. In fact, the fact that Kiffin has been fired shows
>that people understand he wasn't good enough to lead the
>brand. Just because the guy couldn't drive the Lamborghini
>doesn't make the car any less valuable. Yes, Kiffin faced
>challenges due to the scholarship restrictions (so maybe the
>air in the tires was low), but his failure still leaves the
>feeling that the program wasn't the problem. That USC
>recruited so well during the Kiffin era, even with those
>restrictions, reinforces this for me. This is a team that
>doesn't need to change its uniforms for a big game. This is a
>powerful football brand.
>
>Bottom line: There isn't a coach that won't take a call from
>USC. I'm not saying the Trojans can just go and get anybody
>they want, but this is one of the great jobs in college
>football. You have the fan base as the biggest football show
>in town (even with UCLA's resurgence), you sit in the middle
>of a massive region full of talent and you even have sparkling
>new facilities.
>
>Whether it's Jack Del Rio, Kevin Sumlin, Tim DeRuyter, Chris
>Peterson or any other number of candidates -- I still think
>Mike Riley would do a great job -- if Pat Haden hires someone
>with a track record of success, he's going to have a program
>that can be in contention for national titles within the next
>few years. The key is the track record of success. USC is
>always going to have talent; a better coach and leader will
>have them back near the top soon.
>
>McShay: Traditional powerhouses that go through a down period
>can be restored quickly so long as the program finds the right
>leader. Alabama, Florida and even USC (back in 2002) are all
>examples of big-time programs that had begun to sputter but
>quickly got back on track after landing the right coaches
>(Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Carroll).
>
> EnlargeDuke Ihenacho
>AP Photo/Jack Dempsey
>Jack Del Rio, who played at USC, has been mentioned as a
>possible replacement for Lane Kiffin.
>What makes the right guy? To me, it's someone who can assemble
>the right coaching staff to accomplish the following three
>goals: (1) identify talent; (2) develop talent; and (3)
>establish program discipline. (For the last one, I mean that
>from the classroom to practices to games you get your athletes
>to fulfill their responsibilities and execute at a high
>level.)
>
>Taking this from the abstract to the literal, however, just
>what kind of a situation will the next Trojans coach be
>walking into? A pretty good one. USC has everything a coach
>needs to succeed in terms of tradition, support from the
>school and facilities. And unlike during Kiffin's tenure, the
>effect from the scholarship restrictions shouldn't be too bad
>(they are set to expire following the 2014 season).
>
>While Kiffin and his staff definitely failed in many ways, the
>reality is that Kiffin took this job when the team's talent
>level was on the decline. The Trojans recruited well during
>his tenure and did an adequate job at player development, but
>these were not the Carroll-era Trojans that had an average of
>7.6 draft picks and four first- and second-rounders each year
>from 2003-09. From 2010-13 USC averaged 5.8 draft picks and
>just 1.5 first- and second-rounders. This decline in talent
>level can't all be put on Kiffin. Carroll got out at the right
>time, with both the NCAA bearing down on the program and the
>team's recruiting slipping a bit from the elite level of its
>previous seasons.
>
>Looking ahead, USC won't be losing too much off this year's
>roster. WR Marqise Lee has a first-round grade, but the rest
>of the team's NFL draft prospects have mid-round grades: DE
>Morgan Breslin, RB Silas Redd, DE Devon Kennard and OLB Dion
>Bailey.
>
>The bottom line for USC is that if it hires the right coach,
>it won't take long for the Trojans to be back on track. The
>restrictions will slow that process a little bit, so if it
>took programs like Alabama and Florida two years to become
>national title contenders, it might take USC three years to
>get the talent back up to that point.
>
>But this is still a fantastic job. Very few coaches in the
>country have better gigs than the one that is now open at USC,
>in my opinion.
>

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

sfMatt
Member since Jun 20th 2002
10383 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 01:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "fuckatop10"
In response to Reply # 0

I need Marcus to get his accuracy up a bit before this stretch post-Colorado. He's throwing a little behind on some of the crossing routes, and the ball is sailing on him a bit downfield. He's still nasty, that said. I just want him a tad sharper for Stanford. (Fuck Washington.)

We're doing all of this damage right now without really using our TE's in the passing game. Hopefully we can get Colt on track against Colorado. And Pharoah Brown is finally healthy again so I'd like to see him utilized downfield as well. I'm SAYING WE HAVE MORE BEASTS TO UNLEASH GUYS.

FL RB Tony James committed this weekend. Him and Rolls Royce in the same class... Poor Pac-12. Staff wanted James more than Mixon.

temps2020
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8780 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 02:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "wonder where Mixon will go. Badgers on him hard...him and Chris James"
In response to Reply # 4

I think it's between Cal, Oklahoma and Wisconsin.

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13929 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 06:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Supposedly ucla is on him hard and he is listening, unless Cal starts wi..."
In response to Reply # 5

I doubt he comes. I think he and his family really like Cal because of its location being close to home but we actually have to look like a program that isn't heading for last place in the PAC 12 for him to come. Right now Cal looks terrible and ucla has a lot of buzz, plus ucla isn't that far from home and he would be playing in the Bay Area once a year.

I think it is ucla or some other PAC 12 school. Perhaps Oregon? I know they just picked up a RB but I doubt they say no to Mixon if he wanted to commit. Another PAC 12 dark horse is UW.

sfMatt
10383 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 01:54 PM

9. "We've been keeping him at arm's length..."
In response to Reply # 7

Wanted James (the recent commit you reference) ahead of him.

Interestingly enough though Mixon's interviews in the wake of the UW visit suggest he's still waiting to hear if whether we are full or not. He's talking as if he doesn't care about Freeman and James both being committed if the staff still want him. Oregon's recruiting clout is becoming pretty bigtime in the wake of the HDC opening and our early season buzz...

temps2020
8780 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 10:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "Mixon and Mama (Damien) coming to UW for visit on Oct 12"
In response to Reply # 9

James coming NOv 9.

We just got a huge JC commitment in Joe Keels who was just offered by Bama. Dude is Melvin Gordon's cousin.

sfMatt
10383 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 11:09 AM

27. "James is done. No future visits."
In response to Reply # 25

temps2020
8780 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 05:28 PM

45. "are we talking about the same james?"
In response to Reply # 27

sfMatt
10383 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 05:57 PM

46. "lol probably not?"
In response to Reply # 45

I thought since you were just referring to a "james" right after I referenced (Tony) James that had committed to the Ducks...

temps2020
8780 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 10:48 AM

26. "I think Oregon is out of the picture at this point. UCLA may be coming o..."
In response to Reply # 9

too late. Cal is def the leader, Wisconsin the dark horse and Oklahoma sitting out there as well. Washington is another sleeper but there hasn't been much on the visit he already took there.

sfMatt
10383 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 11:10 AM

28. "Unless we decide otherwise, agreed *smug*"
In response to Reply # 26

sfMatt
10383 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 04:18 PM

6. "So Dodds is stepping down... which means"
In response to Reply # 0

USC and Texas are both going after their next coach simultaneously. (Will Nebraska join them in the offseason?) Shit's about to get real for coaching salaries at a bunch of schools lol

calij81
13929 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 06:50 PM

8. "Goodbye Mack Brown"
In response to Reply # 6

I would say this is not a good year for a program to fire its coach but SC and Texas will be going after a more established and high profile coach.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 02:19 PM

10. "The gov't shutdown very well may fuck up Duke's bowl eligibility."
In response to Reply # 0

We NEED the game vs. Navy to give ourselves the best shot possible. There are really only two ACC teams we should do alright against, and both of those games are on the road, so it's already tough... but let' say we beat UVA on the road and Wake on the road.

We've then got VT on the road (lol, loss), NC State at home (almost certainly a loss), the U at home (lmfao, loss), and UNC on the road (we have a prayer due to rivalry, but it's almost definitely a loss).

So if the Navy game is cancelled, our best bet is probably 5 wins, unless we pull off some sort of upset.

WORK IT OUT, YOU DC MOTHERFUCKERS.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 03:38 PM

11. "THANKS A LOT OBAMMA"
In response to Reply # 10

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
But Zootown, black people and media, so...

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 03:51 PM

12. "not sure if you've noticed, but UNC kinda sucks"

no reason not to shoot for a home win against NC State either

--------

Servo
Member since Sep 13th 2007
3452 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 03:56 PM

14. "we are really bad this year"
In response to Reply # 12

Our offense usually gets it going by the second half, but we miss Gio for sure.

Also, I can think of one, maybe two quality players we have on defense and that's it.

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 04:16 PM

15. "Duke is usually pretty miserable on the road."
In response to Reply # 12

And UNC certainly gave Georgia Tech way more of a fight than we did.

I think that can be a W, but we've been so miserable on defense the last three games, when you add the road element... I'm not immediately confident unless I see some defensive progress.

As for NC State, I was just assuming based on the Clemson game, where they slowed Tahj Boyd until late in the third.... and since Duke's offense is all we have, I wasn't confident. But yeah, I know next to nothing about State outside of that game. Checking the records, the last time we played them over half a decade ago, we won. And we haven't beaten many ACC teams in the last decade. So that's something?

veritas
37201 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 03:55 PM

13. "beating Navy prob be an upset for Duke anyhow"

i still blame hip-hop.

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 04:19 PM

16. "I've considered that... but Cutty's 2-0 against them with Duke. "
In response to Reply # 13

Their running attack scares me, especially after the Tech game... but when our margin of error for bowl eligibility is pretty thin, I'd prefer to keep all the chances we have.

Let the government cancel the Miami game. Please.

sfMatt
10383 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 05:20 PM

20. "just saw United has offered to fly Air Force to their game for free?"

that's sorta neat heh

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 05:06 PM

17. "I'm anxious to see mizzou & illinois in conf play, if the both could win..."
In response to Reply # 0

4 of their 8 conf games I'd be ecstatic

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 05:19 PM

18. "Anybody else gambling on college football?"
In response to Reply # 0

My GF's dad has a pool: put in $10 bucks, pick five games; if you get all five, the pot is yours; if not, it carries over to the next week. There's a mega-pot for the best overall record at year's end.

This is my first year doing this, but I've started pretty well. I'm currently sitting at 16-9 for the year. I've been burned once a week however.

guru0509
Charter member
45359 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 05:20 PM

19. "Wisconsin W came at a heavy price..Christian Bryant out for the year"
In response to Reply # 0

Pittsburgh Brown will step in, with Tyvis Powell backing him up..

curious to see how the pass defense looks after last week...

they pretty much put Roby on an island and focused on stopping the run.

top 10...

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. TOSU
4. Stanford
5. Clemson
6. UGA
7. LSU
8. TAMU
9. OU
10. FSU

-------------------

3xKrazy
Charter member
21585 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 07:05 PM

22. "Vonn Bell time?"
In response to Reply # 19

sfMatt
10383 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 07:02 PM

21. "Clinton Dix suspended? "
In response to Reply # 0

what's up yous2lurk ?

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Oct-02-13 07:19 PM

23. "HaHa"
In response to Reply # 21

sfMatt
10383 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 02:33 PM

29. "oh my. Coach gave him MONEY!!!!!"
Thu Oct-03-13 02:33 PM by sfMatt

THE HORROR

Cecil Hurt ‏@CecilHurt 1m

Update RT @tuscaloosanews: BREAKING: UA asst. strength coach put on admin. leave for providing money to Clinton-Dix http://bit.ly/1aPbESB

HomeMultimedia Projects
Alabama assistant strength coach placed on administrative leave for providing money to HaHa Clinton-Dix
Harris found to have connection with a representative of a sports agent
By Aaron Suttles
Sports Writer | The Tuscaloosa News
Published: Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 10:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 10:56 a.m.

University of Alabama assistant strength and conditioning coach Corey Harris has been placed on administrative leave for providing impermissible benefits to suspended football safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, The Tuscaloosa News has learned.

UA head coach Nick Saban announced Wednesday that Clinton-Dix has been indefinitely suspended for violation of team rules but did not specify the nature of the violation.

Assistant strength and conditional coach Corey Harris has been placed on administrative leave.
In looking into the matter, the UA compliance office also discovered that Harris had a connection to a representative of a sports agent. UA's internal investigation has found no indication that Clinton-Dix has had contact with any agent or agent representative. Efforts to reach Harris were unsuccessful.

Harris made a short-term loan to Clinton-Dix in an amount less than $500 at some point in the summer, an apparently violation of NCAA Bylaw 16.11.2.2, which states that “an institutional employee or representative of the institution's athletics interests may not provide a student-athlete with extra benefits or services, including, but not limited to ... a loan of money.”

Clinton-Dix has provided bank records to UA athletic compliance department representatives that show a withdrawal in the amount he said he repaid to Harris, The Tuscaloosa News has learned.

3xKrazy
Charter member
21585 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 04:46 PM

33. "ummm, not that I even give a shit at this point"
In response to Reply # 29

but coaches giving players money is kinda problematic, lol

yoose2lurk
Member since Feb 02nd 2005
8999 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 04:58 PM

34. "$500 loan. I think HCD paid it back to the coach. "
In response to Reply # 33
Thu Oct-03-13 04:59 PM by yoose2lurk

>but coaches giving players money is kinda problematic, lol

Still against the rules but it doesn't seem egregious.

---
Dynasty -
noun, plural dy�nas�ties.
1. a sequence of rulers from the same family, stock, or group; Roll Tide.

Alabama Crimson Tide: 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020 Nat’l Champ

3xKrazy
Charter member
21585 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 05:04 PM

35. "super explanations"
In response to Reply # 34

>Still against the rules but it doesn't seem egregious.

yoose2lurk
8999 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 03:30 PM

31. "What up tho? He'll be back and ready for the ducks. ***shots fired***"

>what's up yous2lurk ?

---
Dynasty -

Alabama Crimson Tide: 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020 Nat’l Champ

guru0509
Charter member
45359 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 03:57 PM

32. "*ahem*"
In response to Reply # 31

-------------------

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35272 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 01:52 PM

39. "b4 he and Dee Hart signed Bama bought their hs a multimillion $ facility..."

sfMatt
10383 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 02:20 PM

40. "yea that shit was mad under-discussed during the past year"
In response to Reply # 39

I mean that's no less shady than any of the other shit that's made headlines recently

yoose2lurk
8999 posts
Sat Oct-05-13 12:08 PM

47. "What? Please provide supporting evidence. "
In response to Reply # 39

---
Dynasty -

sfMatt
10383 posts
Sat Oct-05-13 12:40 PM

48. "lol.. seriously?"
In response to Reply # 47

yoose2lurk
8999 posts
Sat Oct-05-13 12:45 PM

49. "Yeah, seriously. And if it's true it must be legal. "
In response to Reply # 48

---
Dynasty -

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35272 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 01:51 AM

51. "use google bro. its a 3 year old story, not a rumor."
In response to Reply # 47

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85078 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 03:45 AM

52. "for real. that's known."
In response to Reply # 51

<--- Big Baller World Order

yoose2lurk
8999 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 07:23 AM

53. "Sorry for having a life 3 years ago and now. It was and is a non-story...."
In response to Reply # 51
Tue Oct-08-13 07:26 AM by yoose2lurk

Bama obviously had a good relationship with the school from recruiting
it's top players, one of which had committed to Bama. Bama happened to
be playing its bowl game in Orlando where the HS is. Bama made a charitable
donation in the form of facility upgrades after they were nice enough to let Bama
use their facilities for practice. We know a little something about upgrading
facilities after all.

Again, this was a goodwill gesture by Bama. Get madder. We'll just keep dominating.

---
Dynasty -

sfMatt
10383 posts
Tue Oct-08-13 11:24 AM

54. "lol please"
In response to Reply # 53

the move to practice there in the first place was calculated and the motive was clear.

Upgrading their facilities might be a "nice" way to repay them, but ALL of it - practicing there, giving them new digs - is a way to bolster your recruiting message.

guru0509
Charter member
45359 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 09:15 AM

24. "Rutgers expects 200+ mill from move to B1G"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-03-13 09:15 AM by guru0509

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/10/rutgers_expects_200m_windfall_with_big_ten_move.html

CAMDEN — Rutgers University expects to pull in at least an additional $200 million over 12 years by moving its athletic teams to the Big Ten conference, school officials said Wednesday.

The estimate was given to the Rutgers Board of Governors during a briefing on the state university’s costly move to the more prestigious conference. Rutgers is scheduled to move into the Big Ten next July 1.

“It’s a projection,” Greg Brown, head of the board’s athletics committee, said after the meeting in Camden. “What we’re saying is Rutgers is better off by about $200 million versus the status quo.”

Rutgers announced last year it was abandoning the Big East and accepting an invitation to join the Big Ten, which includes Ohio State, Michigan State and Northwestern. The move means Rutgers can cash in on the Big Ten’s more lucrative television contracts. But it also means the university will need to invest more in its athletic program to upgrade its teams and facilities to compete in the conference.

Critics of the move have questioned whether Rutgers – which already subsidizes its money-losing athletics department with university funds – will end up spending more on the transition to the Big Ten than it profits.

The $200 million estimate includes the extra money Rutgers expects to spend to transition its football and other teams into the Big Ten, campus officials said. It will take Rutgers six years to become a full member of the Big Ten and cash in on its full share of the profits.

“There is still a lot of work to be done. But the move into the Big Ten is unequivocally positive for Rutgers – academically, financially and athletically,” Brown said.

Rutgers and the remnants of the Big East, now called the American Athletic Conference, continue to battle in court over whether the university needs to pay $10 million in exit fees to leave.

In other business at the board of governors meeting, Rutgers officials said the university had a banner fundraising year pulling in donations, despite the negative publicity the school received earlier this year following a series of sports-related scandals.

As of Aug. 31, Rutgers’ endowment stood at $684.6 million, the lowest by far among the schools in the Big Ten, school officials said.

“I think we have some room to improve,” said Gerald Harvey, chairman of the Rutgers Board of Governors. “We are significantly underendowed.”

RELATED COVERAGE

-------------------

veritas
37201 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 02:47 PM

30. "will being in Big 10 help them keep Kyle Flood?"
In response to Reply # 24

I'm a big Flood fan.

i still blame hip-hop.

guru0509
Charter member
45359 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 05:19 PM

36. "dude is a heck of a coach..i bet Rutgers could beat 6 B1G teams today."
In response to Reply # 30

-------------------

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Oct-03-13 05:46 PM

38. "funny that the Board of Govs meets in Camden not New Brunswick"
In response to Reply # 24

I think I have at least 6-8 credits from each campus.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

sfMatt
10383 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 02:23 PM

41. "Stanford is going to bring montlake back to earth this weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

and not a moment too soon.

Sark and his players are talking about being excited to show how good they THINK they are and shit...

ugh what a miserable fanbase following a fraud of a coach.

SUP PROMO

calij81
13929 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 03:00 PM

42. "IDK, Sark and UW are playing really well this season and they did beat "
In response to Reply # 41

Stanford last season, something Oregon couldn't accomplish.

Sure I would like to see Sark fail but he hit a home run with the Wilcox hire and Price and their hurry up offense is playing really well right now.

I think UW beats Stanford.

sfMatt
10383 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 03:13 PM

43. "Admittedly I have Eugene eyes, but you have Cal eyes"
In response to Reply # 42

Stanford is a far superior squad.
Huskies got Furd last year when Hogan was very green. And they could've lost that day.

calij81
13929 posts
Fri Oct-04-13 05:15 PM

44. "My Cal eyes have nothing to do with believing UW will beat Stanford "
In response to Reply # 43

Actually UW beat Stanford before Hogan was the starter. Nunes was the QB for that game.

I just believe that UW has enough balance on offense with Sankey running and Price playing like his more accurate 2011 self, as well as weapons in ASJ and Williams to score on Stanford. Throw in the fact that even with Hogan I still like UWs defense to stop that Stanford offense.

Personally I don't really care if Stanford wins or loses, my hatred for both programs runs pretty deep these days.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15313 posts
Sat Oct-05-13 02:54 PM

50. "good W for the Skers, Abdullah fuckin' beasted"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't like all these small numbers from the QB stat line this year though, Armstrong or Martinez. Where'd the passing attack go?

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2238503 Previous topic | Next topic