Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2238427

Subject: "Monday Night Football: 3-0 Dolphins @ 3-0 Saints" Previous topic | Next topic
LBs Finest
Member since Sep 28th 2005
19846 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 04:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Monday Night Football: 3-0 Dolphins @ 3-0 Saints"

Dolphins-Saints Preview

After getting the best of Andrew Luck and Matt Ryan the past two weeks, Ryan Tannehill and the Miami Dolphins are cautiously optimistic about their next -- and perhaps most difficult -- test of the early season against Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints.

With both teams looking to go 4-0, the Dolphins and Saints meet Monday night at the Superdome.

After four straight losing seasons and one playoff appearance in the previous 11, Miami is 3-0 for the first time since 2002. The Dolphins finished 9-7 that season, but did not make the playoffs.

Grounded and focused, this year's team is less concerned with past struggles than with trying to win their first four games for the first time since 1995.

"We have a special team," said receiver Brian Hartline, who leads the Dolphins with 18 receptions for 238 yards and has two touchdowns. "Expectations will continue to rise, and high expectations bring out the best in you. We welcome it."

The Dolphins have already shown their mettle with a 24-20 win at Indianapolis in Week 2, as well as a rally from a 10-point second-half deficit to beat Atlanta 27-23 last Sunday. Tannehill recorded his first last-minute comeback victory against the Falcons when he engineered a 13-play, 75-yard drive he capped with a 1-yard TD pass to rookie tight end Dion Sims with 38 seconds remaining.

"We're making the most of the present, and hopefully we can snowball that into the future," said long snapper John Denney, who in his ninth season with the team is the longest-tenured Dolphin.

In his second season, Tannehill has completed 66.4 percent of his passes and led Miami to touchdowns in seven of its eight red-zone trips. His 107.4 passer rating against the Colts and 94.5 versus Atlanta were better than those of Pro Bowlers Luck (79.7) and Ryan (84.4) in those contests.

"I think the game has slowed down for him tremendously," quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor told the Dolphins' official website. "He's seen all the different looks the defense is giving him in terms of fronts and pressures and coverages, so it's slowed down for him."

Though Tannehill continues to improve, he's been sacked an NFL-high 14 times through three weeks and could use more support from a running game that averages 3.2 yards per carry.

The Dolphins hope they've made enough improvement this week to end both trends as they face a resurgent New Orleans defense, which has helped the team to its best start since going 13-0 during its Super Bowl-winning season of 2009.

After giving up an NFL-worst 440.1 yards and 28.4 points per contest while coach Sean Payton served his year-long suspension in 2012, the Saints rank among the league leaders with 295.7 yards and 12.7 points a game. Payton back is back on the sideline, but the defense has changed with new coordinator Rob Ryan switching the unit to a 3-4 scheme.

"Any time you go into a situation where it's a new defensive coordinator that's installing a new defense, you always have the question of how you're prepared," said outside linebacker Parys Haralson, who has one of the Saints' eight sacks. "Everybody was pretty confident in what they had, in what we have here. This is a defense full of talented players."

New Orleans allowed an 80-yard touchdown drive to open the game against Arizona last Sunday, then forced eight punts and recorded two interceptions on the Cardinals' next 10 possessions in a 31-7 victory.

"(Ryan's) going to give you a variety of coverages," Miami coach Joe Philbin said. "Our quarterbacks and receivers are going to have to be on the same page. And then he has a very good pressure package, so he's a very good coach."

Then there's Brees.

After throwing three TDs and three interceptions in the first two games, he threw for three touchdowns, ran for one and was picked off once against the Cardinals.

With 342 passing yards last weekend, Brees has thrown for at least 300 in eight consecutive games -- averaging 358.1 yards and completing 18 touchdowns during that stretch.

"We know we've went against some talented quarterbacks already, but Drew Brees presents another tough challenge, but we'll be up for it," Miami cornerback Brent Grimes said.

The Dolphins also must contend with tight end Jimmy Graham, who was targeted 31 times and caught 19 passes for 313 yards and three TDs in the last two games.

Though New Orleans entered the week ranked fourth in the NFL with an average of 318.7 yards through the air, it's near the bottom of the league with 3.5 per rush. The running game could improve if star Miami defensive end Cameron Wake sits because of a knee injury suffered Sunday.

Brees was intercepted three times during New Orleans' 46-34 win at Miami in the teams' most recent meeting Oct. 25, 2009, but he also threw a touchdown pass and ran for two scores.

Hartline had three receptions for 94 yards in that contest.

--

Drew Brees at home on a Monday night...it really doesn't get any tougher than this. He's won 8 MNF games in a row, 10 primetime games in a row at the Superdome and 13 of 14 dating back to 2008, their only loss being to Dallas in 09.

will Cam Wake play? if so, how limited will he be? if he's out we'll need the rookie Dion Jordan to step up and get some pressure on Brees and show the world why we traded up to #3 in the draft for him.

sidenote: I didn't know former Saints and Dolphins RB Ricky Williams was coaching now....coaches RBs for the University of the Incarnate Word (?) in San Antonio.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
had this game booked as a loss as soon as the schedule came out
Sep 30th 2013
heavy action on the Saints as a touchdown favorite
Sep 30th 2013
The line hasn't shifted all week, though...
Sep 30th 2013
As a Falcons fan I want the Dolphins to win but
Sep 30th 2013
34-20 saints
Sep 30th 2013
Tannehill won't outduel Brees like he did Luck and Ryan, but the D
Sep 30th 2013
I really need big white haired blitzing jesus to stop tannehill
Sep 30th 2013
Cam Wake out tonight...time for Dion Jordan to step up!
Sep 30th 2013
Shelby's been nice, too.
Sep 30th 2013
LOL, thank you Ireland!
Oct 01st 2013
First mistake of the night...winning the toss and choosing to defer?
Sep 30th 2013
^yup
Sep 30th 2013
Walk in TD for Sproles. Easy
Sep 30th 2013
damn.."top 5 defense" gettin gashed
Sep 30th 2013
lol..Tannenhill with the face plant stiff arm
Sep 30th 2013
some wtf playcalling right there
Sep 30th 2013
What a terrible call...we needed an inch! You call a QB sneak there
Sep 30th 2013
QB sneak this shit if they overturn this first down
Sep 30th 2013
nah...gotta catch that one, Mike
Sep 30th 2013
MIKE WALLACE WTF!!! I NEED FNTSY PTS
Sep 30th 2013
damn....Gibby looked fast as shit!!
Sep 30th 2013
Saints line play and running game are stil a work in progress
Sep 30th 2013
momentum killer
Sep 30th 2013
Jimmy Graham...if you need him
Sep 30th 2013
How much is he going to get paid in the offseason?
Sep 30th 2013
We are in cap hell right now.
Sep 30th 2013
Dude is a life saver in fantasy football
Sep 30th 2013
How the fuck did our kick returner get hawked
Sep 30th 2013
9 or 10 yards rushing at the half for NO
Sep 30th 2013
Frank Gore
Sep 30th 2013
WTF does this have to do with Dolphins-Saints?
Sep 30th 2013
Is the Saints D legit?
Sep 30th 2013
according to pro football focus
Oct 01st 2013
Breesus!!
Sep 30th 2013
Damn, Sean Payton got brolic during his time off
Sep 30th 2013
motherfucker doing kettlebells swings, box jumps and power cleans
Sep 30th 2013
Tannehill and Wallace gotta get on the same page
Sep 30th 2013
Their timing is off cuz Wallace is in the present & Tanne in THE FUTURE!
Oct 01st 2013
the Saints are the team nobody is talking about
Sep 30th 2013
lol, how is a team that won a SB a few years sneaking up on anybody?
Sep 30th 2013
Because their defense was straight booty last year
Oct 01st 2013
he right tho, they'ree the quietest SB-fav-who-already-have-a-chip team
Oct 01st 2013
and i hope they keep not talking about us
Oct 01st 2013
they're definitely not short on motivation
Oct 01st 2013
Saints O-Line sucks right?
Oct 01st 2013
Their tackles are a weak point, but Miami didn't exploit them at all.
Oct 01st 2013
      Miami was also without their best edge rusher in Cameron Wake
Oct 01st 2013
Good dose of reality for the Fins.
Oct 01st 2013

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 04:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "had this game booked as a loss as soon as the schedule came out"
In response to Reply # 0

but I'm feeling a little more confident about possibly stealing this one than I did before the year. hopefully we keep it competitive and avoid being next up on the list of teams demolished on national television at the hands of Drew Brees in the dome.

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 11:56 AM

2. "heavy action on the Saints as a touchdown favorite"
In response to Reply # 0

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 12:00 PM

3. "The line hasn't shifted all week, though..."
In response to Reply # 2

started at 6.5 or 7 depending on the book, but it's been 7 across the board for several days.

>

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 12:02 PM

4. "As a Falcons fan I want the Dolphins to win but"
In response to Reply # 0

i expect Brees to do what he usually does

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59187 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 12:09 PM

5. "34-20 saints"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 04:38 PM

6. "Tannehill won't outduel Brees like he did Luck and Ryan, but the D"
In response to Reply # 0

I believe can keep it close. Miami DBs are sneaking up on people a bit, I think. The pass rush hasn't been stellar, but the secondary has been making plays. I think the DBs can get a pick or two if Brees is forcing it to his WRs. And there could even be hope against Graham, although I am less optimistic. Somehow the Fins shut down Tony G after the first quarter last week.

IceburgSmurf
Member since May 17th 2008
4724 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 05:07 PM

7. "I really need big white haired blitzing jesus to stop tannehill"
In response to Reply # 0

I've somehow become a reverse jinx everything i've predicted this season EVERYTHING has come false. All that said im hanging tooth and nail to the anti-tanne agenda. Prays to white haired jesus

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/983102/thumbs/o-ROB-RYAN-SAINTS-facebook.jpg

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 06:30 PM

8. "Cam Wake out tonight...time for Dion Jordan to step up!"
In response to Reply # 0

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 06:34 PM

9. "Shelby's been nice, too."
In response to Reply # 8

>

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 01:50 AM

40. "LOL, thank you Ireland!"
In response to Reply # 8

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 07:41 PM

10. "First mistake of the night...winning the toss and choosing to defer?"
In response to Reply # 0

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 07:46 PM

12. "^yup"
In response to Reply # 10

Beezo
Charter member
27566 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 07:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Walk in TD for Sproles. Easy"
In response to Reply # 0

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Dstl1
Charter member
56245 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 07:52 PM

13. "damn.."top 5 defense" gettin gashed"
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Beezo
Charter member
27566 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 07:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "lol..Tannenhill with the face plant stiff arm"
In response to Reply # 0

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Dstl1
Charter member
56245 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 07:58 PM

15. "some wtf playcalling right there"
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 07:59 PM

16. "What a terrible call...we needed an inch! You call a QB sneak there"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-30-13 08:00 PM by LBs Finest

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 08:09 PM

17. "QB sneak this shit if they overturn this first down"
In response to Reply # 0

Dstl1
Charter member
56245 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 08:23 PM

18. "nah...gotta catch that one, Mike"
In response to Reply # 0

Radio Rahim
Member since Jul 21st 2008
20320 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 08:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "MIKE WALLACE WTF!!! I NEED FNTSY PTS"
In response to Reply # 0

Binlahab droppin science on the youth

"youre frustrated now? in undergrad? reading books all day?,
surrounded by more nubile unattached pussy than you will be in your life?"

Dstl1
Charter member
56245 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 08:25 PM

20. "damn....Gibby looked fast as shit!!"
In response to Reply # 0

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 08:25 PM

21. "Saints line play and running game are stil a work in progress"
In response to Reply # 0

Evans isn't close to 100%

BTW, Incarnate Word and Abilene Christian are D2 programs transitioning to FCS/I-AA

I fully expect them to be on Big XII football schedules in the near future

<-Fear Ameer

Dstl1
Charter member
56245 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 08:28 PM

22. "momentum killer"
In response to Reply # 0

Dstl1
Charter member
56245 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 08:36 PM

23. "Jimmy Graham...if you need him"
In response to Reply # 0

DeepAztheRoot
13992 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 08:40 PM

24. "How much is he going to get paid in the offseason?"
In response to Reply # 23

Hopefully NOLA realized he has been worth every penny this year....

getting rid of Ingram will save some money

<-Fear Ameer

Kajun
Member since Jan 11th 2008
1007 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 10:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
33. "We are in cap hell right now."
In response to Reply # 24

The Brees contract plus some old veteran deals (Will Smith, Vilma, Harper) are making it really hard to know what we can realistically offer.

As a fan I say back the damn truck up. But Loomis gonna have to work some magic.

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 11:24 PM

36. "Dude is a life saver in fantasy football "
In response to Reply # 23

Some cats laughed when I snatched him up kinda early

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 08:50 PM

25. "How the fuck did our kick returner get hawked"
In response to Reply # 0

Did he slow down to watch himself on the video screen?

DeepAztheRoot
13992 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 09:14 PM

26. "9 or 10 yards rushing at the half for NO"
In response to Reply # 0

at some point that is going to catch up with them

<-Fear Ameer

colonelk
Member since Dec 10th 2002
5058 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 09:41 PM

27. "Frank Gore"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-30-13 09:46 PM by colonelk

--------

hell-below.com

DeepAztheRoot
13992 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 09:42 PM

28. "WTF does this have to do with Dolphins-Saints?"
In response to Reply # 27

wrong thread for you?

<-Fear Ameer

DeepAztheRoot
13992 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 09:44 PM

29. "Is the Saints D legit?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vaccaro has been excellent for the most part, Jenkins is better than Sedrick Ellis...

As a Saints fan I'm not used to having a good D, long time since the Dome Patrol, so I don't know how to recognize it

guess I will wait until they pass the Bear/Patriot test...

<-Fear Ameer

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 07:37 PM

48. "according to pro football focus"
In response to Reply # 29

our front four are all in the top 10 at their position.

Small sample size I know, but Ryan and Payton have so much confidence in our front four that we played the entire game with 5 or 6 in the secondary. (Greer and Keenan Lewis on the outside, Vacarro in the slot, Jenkins roaming, and Bush deep.)

I was at the game, damn near EVERY play that was the alignment.

We blitzed 3 times and got burned for 78 yards total on 3 passes from Tannehill.

and Mike Wallace is a terrible receiver, Kennan Lewis isn't even that good and he locked Wallace down all night. Wallace looked uninterested and not happy to be there lol.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 09:45 PM

30. "Breesus!!"
In response to Reply # 0

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 10:21 PM

31. "Damn, Sean Payton got brolic during his time off"
In response to Reply # 0

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42803 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 11:09 PM

34. "motherfucker doing kettlebells swings, box jumps and power cleans"
In response to Reply # 31

that full body strength

he needs to get rob ryan in the gym with him

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 10:31 PM

32. "Tannehill and Wallace gotta get on the same page"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-30-13 10:43 PM by LBs Finest

Right now that chemistry is nowhere close to where it needs to be.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27118 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 02:48 PM

47. "Their timing is off cuz Wallace is in the present & Tanne in THE FUTURE!"
In response to Reply # 32

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 11:20 PM

35. "the Saints are the team nobody is talking about"
In response to Reply # 0

or taking serious and they might reign on somebody's parade.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Sep-30-13 11:34 PM

37. "lol, how is a team that won a SB a few years sneaking up on anybody?"
In response to Reply # 35

Everybody knows how good Brees is and with Sean Payton back they're right back in the mix.

Along with Seattle they are the favorites in the NFC

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 01:20 AM

38. "Because their defense was straight booty last year"
In response to Reply # 37

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 01:56 AM

41. "he right tho, they'ree the quietest SB-fav-who-already-have-a-chip team"
In response to Reply # 37

I can remember seeing in a long time thus far.

I'm sure the din will grow louder soon but I've heard more talk about lots of teams than the Saints & this squad seems like they might be at-worst the third-most-likely & actually could be first.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

final_prospect82
Member since Mar 21st 2007
1358 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 01:37 AM

39. "and i hope they keep not talking about us"

happiness is a mediocre standard for a middle class existence - S. Williams

I don't not like you because you have dumb ideas about the world, I don't like you because you have other people's dumb ideas about the world. - Rjcc

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32105 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 08:35 AM

43. "they're definitely not short on motivation "

Payton has these boys playing angry

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66756 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 06:14 AM

42. "Saints O-Line sucks right?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 10:46 AM

44. "Their tackles are a weak point, but Miami didn't exploit them at all."
In response to Reply # 42

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 11:17 AM

46. "Miami was also without their best edge rusher in Cameron Wake"
In response to Reply # 44

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Tue Oct-01-13 10:50 AM

45. "Good dose of reality for the Fins."
In response to Reply # 0

Tannehill should learn from this one. He seemed to tighten up when the game started slipping away. The pass protection was bad, though. Lane Johnson as opposed to Dion Jordan sounds pretty good right now. Clabo is bad.

The Fins got outcoached, too, IMO. Lamar Miller tore it up in the first half...they abandoned the run game too quickly. Tannehill is improving, but he needs a balanced attack. He's got a ways to go before Brady/Peyton/Rodgers/Big Ben put the team on your back status.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2238427 Previous topic | Next topic