Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2219717

Subject: "Jay and Dan on Fox Sports Live." Previous topic | Next topic
denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Mon Aug-19-13 06:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jay and Dan on Fox Sports Live."
Mon Aug-19-13 06:27 PM by denny

So these guys moved to the States. I worked with them here in Canada. They started off with a cult following and then basically became HUGE in the 16 to 30 year old demographic. Nicest guys in the world. I loved working with them cause they were always good for some laughs.

They have an absurdist sense of humor. Distinctly Canadian. Really out there. And crazy references. Anyone read a hilite package while immitating Morrissey before? In any case, we were all sad when they left our national sports station for the states. Our prime Minister tweeted about it. I'm really eager to find out if their schtick works down there. Some people are going to find them really annoying I'm sure.

Wondering if anyone's seen them yet....we've debated whether sports fans in the states will like them. Yea or Nay? Here's a clip from their second show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5wDEuOi7mo

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
they seem good... but
Aug 19th 2013
It's a fine line.
Aug 20th 2013
i enjoy it more than SportsCenter...
Aug 19th 2013
Things are going EXACTLY as planned.
Aug 21st 2013
Scott*
Aug 21st 2013
      https://twitter.com/stevenvanpelt
Aug 21st 2013

sfMatt
Member since Jun 20th 2002
10383 posts
Mon Aug-19-13 06:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "they seem good... but"
In response to Reply # 0

the overriding theme of FS1 - that we need more "personality" and relaxed conversational banter than we get from ESPN - is seriously fucking flawed to me.

denny
11281 posts
Tue Aug-20-13 05:43 AM

3. "It's a fine line."
In response to Reply # 1

People looking to be entertained? Or people looking for sports talk. If I'm watching hilites I don't need a VO. Some of the specialty channels Nfl Net, NHL net...they've tried doing 3/4 minute Source sound up hilite packages. I can't understand why that's not been successful. People just don't seem to like it. That format has had success in the 'game in an hour' format though...just not in hilite reels.

VO's over hilites are mostly unnecessary if the editor is good cause there is already a VO on the source. So why not eff around. They're off-script more often than not. I get the feeling that they might really take off. Hope they do....wish they'd come back.

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Mon Aug-19-13 09:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i enjoy it more than SportsCenter..."
In response to Reply # 0

Fox Sports 1 works for me...curious to see if they change up the panel though....

denny
11281 posts
Wed Aug-21-13 07:47 AM

4. "Things are going EXACTLY as planned."
In response to Reply # 0

Steven Van Pelt....apparently unaware that Jay and Dan have been doing SC for 8 years:

“The easiest thing in the world to do is to talk a bunch of junk on Twitter. They’re really good at that — poking the bear with a stick. I would swing up, too, if I were them. That’s what they’re doing. The idea that they co-opted fun in sports and that ESPN and SportsCenter is some kind of a trip to the dentist is laughable. I have fun every single time I do SportsCenter. If they want to be fun, great. Go have fun. I encourage you to do so because we do it every day. That’s the one thing I found to be a head-scratcher, that they planted their flag on this fun hill, as if they discovered it. Like they’re the Christopher Columbus of fun in sports and they’re putting their flag down on that hill. Really? We’ve been living here since 1979. Welcome to the fun of sports.”

This just might work.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18397 posts
Wed Aug-21-13 07:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Scott*"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed Aug-21-13 07:59 AM by Tiger Woods

and Sportscenter is like a funeral. Just cause you have fun doing it doesn't mean it isn't a chore to sit through in the non-highlight parts.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66752 posts
Wed Aug-21-13 08:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "https://twitter.com/stevenvanpelt"
In response to Reply # 5

https://twitter.com/stevenvanpelt

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2219717 Previous topic | Next topic