Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2217591

Subject: "Pat White trying to make a comeback with the Redskins...." Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 07:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pat White trying to make a comeback with the Redskins...."

dude was a beast in college, I'd love to see him catch on somewhere...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/redskins-qb-pat-white-scores-touchdown-first-nfl-134409831.html

Redskins QB Pat White scores touchdown in first NFL action since 2010

In 2009, the Miami Dolphins used a second round draft pick, the No. 44 overall pick in that draft, on West Virginia quarterback Pat White. In 52 offensive snaps over 13 games as a rookie, White ran for 81 yards on 21 attempts, was sacked once and failed to complete any of his five pass attempts.

White, who was hospitalized after he suffered a concussion on a frightening collision in the regular season finale as a rookie, played sparingly during the 2010 preseason and was released as part of the final roster cuts. White tried his hand at baseball before returning to the gridiron with the Virginia Destroyers of the United Football League in 2011.

With the read-option becoming more prevalent in NFL offenses, the 27-year-old White has resurfaced, signing a one-year deal for the league minimum ($480,000, non-guaranteed) with the Washington Redskins on April 4.
White is the No. 4 quarterback on the Redskins' roster, well behind Robert Griffin III, Kirk Cousins and Rex Grossman on the depth chart, and is a long shot to make the team's 53-man roster. However, with Griffin not expected to play in the preseason, being that low on the depth chart means increased playing time in August for players like White. That was certainly the case in Thursday night's 22-21 win over the Tennessee Titans.

In 24 plays, second-most among the three Redskins quarterbacks who played in the game, White completed five of his eight pass attempts for 31 yards, while adding 33 yards and a touchdown on the ground. White led the Redskins' fourth-quarter comeback and his nine-yard touchdown run with 2:23 to play was followed by White connecting with tight end Emmanuel Ogbuehi for a two-point conversion that gave the Redskins a win in their preseason opener.

White, who hadn't appeared in a preseason game since Aug. 27, 2010, was happy to be back on the field.

"It’s a great feeling to get back out there and get the cobwebs off," White said, via Mark Maske of the Washington Post. "I’m blessed to have this opportunity and I’m just going to make the most of it."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
one of my favorite college players ever
Aug 09th 2013
Wouldn't mind keeping him over Rex Grossman
Aug 10th 2013
Rex is a luxury 3rd string QB. Knows the system/won games as a starter.
Aug 31st 2013
Play baseball (edit: and pitch)
Aug 10th 2013
Aug 31st 2013
I'd guess he ends up on the practice squad as an 'impersonator' QB
Aug 31st 2013
Adored this guy, hope he sticks somewhere, somehow
Aug 31st 2013
the way the Phillies are going, he could make their outfield rotation
Aug 31st 2013
      platoon situation with him and the reanimated corpse of jimmie foxx
Sep 01st 2013
           ^multiple personalities
Sep 01st 2013
           I think Phil Bradley might be better than Roger Bernadina right today
Sep 01st 2013

guru0509
Charter member
45381 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 07:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "one of my favorite college players ever"
In response to Reply # 0

that team was bad ass. too bad they couldn't play D.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Sat Aug-10-13 12:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Wouldn't mind keeping him over Rex Grossman"
In response to Reply # 0

I forgot the R*dskins had signed him.

These were his first NFL throws in like 2 years.

He deserves to be an NFL back up, especially on a read option team.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 05:51 PM

5. "Rex is a luxury 3rd string QB. Knows the system/won games as a starter."
In response to Reply # 2

I'm not sure what other third-stringer you can say that about currently.

Walleye
Charter member
15524 posts
Sat Aug-10-13 02:51 PM

3. "Play baseball (edit: and pitch)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Aug-10-13 03:09 PM by Walleye

Dude was drafted *four* times. Give it an honest shot.

edit: I totally forgot he was an outfielder. But he's athletic enough to play quarterback and he throws lefty? That's a recipe for moving fast through the minors as a reliever.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 05:46 PM

4. ""
In response to Reply # 0

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/pat-white-made-washington-redskins-roster-now-223225813--nfl.html
Pat White has made the Washington Redskins’ roster … for now
By Eric Edholm | Shutdown Corner – 8 minutes ago

Nothing is permanent in the NFL, especially at quarterback, but Pat White apparently has made the Washington Redskins' initial 53-man roster.
Let that sink in when you consider that Tim Tebow, Vince Young, Jimmy Clausen and Matt Leinart and others are out of work, and that the Redskins apparently will start the season with four quarterbacks.

White had an impressive preseason, but there have been some who wonder how comfy he should be getting now. Four quarterbacks is rare (although Tom Brady was once a fourth quarterback, his rookie season) with roster space at a premium, and the speculation is that the lefthanded, speedy White could serve as a Michael Vick impersonator as the Redskins prepare for the Week 1 game against the Eagles.
Still, it's an impressive comeback for White after he flamed out of the league and kicked around the UFL for a spell, with Bill Parcells saying he and the Dolphins "violated their principles" with the drafting of White in Round 2 back in 2009.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 05:53 PM

6. "I'd guess he ends up on the practice squad as an 'impersonator' QB"
In response to Reply # 4

like Dennis Dixon looks to be for the Eagles & was for the Ravens last postseason.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 06:51 PM

7. "Adored this guy, hope he sticks somewhere, somehow"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Aug-31-13 07:15 PM

8. "the way the Phillies are going, he could make their outfield rotation"
In response to Reply # 7

>

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Sep-01-13 11:33 AM

9. "platoon situation with him and the reanimated corpse of jimmie foxx"
In response to Reply # 8

(yes, i am aware foxx was not an OF'er)

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Sun Sep-01-13 11:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "^multiple personalities"
In response to Reply # 9

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Sep-01-13 03:51 PM

11. "I think Phil Bradley might be better than Roger Bernadina right today"
In response to Reply # 9

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2217591 Previous topic | Next topic