Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2214832

Subject: "Should the Wiz be concerned about Otto Porters summer league?" Previous topic | Next topic
southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 10:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Should the Wiz be concerned about Otto Porters summer league?"

don't have the numbers in front of me but last night sam mitchell was breaking down his favorite/least favorite from the summer league
and they showed porters stat line, it was something horrible like <5 pts on 30% shooting
i was kind of surprised cause dude was supposed to be the most ready made out of all the draft picks

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2013/07/a-further-look-at-otto-porters-summer-league-performance-and-athletic-reputation.html

Should we be concerned about Otto Porter’s lacking athleticism, especially after his brief showing in Las Vegas?

Per John Converse Townsend’s piece on Porter and trends in NBA athleticism, it’s a valid issue. Players—more so in the past and perhaps less in the future, can overcome athleticism with skill and smarts—but being a natural athlete makes it’s so much easier. It’s the number one thing that separates the pros from the Joes who never make it past college. (Do I need to mention that Adam Morrison has just retired from the NBA to become a student assistant as his alma mater, Gonzaga? He was named co-player of the year by the USBWA with J.J. Redick just in 2006. Great college scorer, Morrison was, but overwhelmed by the athletic defenders of the NBA. Morrison was selected by Michael Jordan third overall, just like Porter, in an extremely weak 2006 draft.)

Otto Porter is not an athlete. His body will improve, and maybe he hasn’t grown into it. But what’s apparent is that high-level athleticism doesn’t come naturally for him.

This is where I wonder about athleticism in general. How much a part of it is reaction time? A lot, I imagine—muscle twitches, changes in direction, and the ability to make a second jump quickly. But what about reaction time in terms of anticipation, or at least in terms of one’s mind growing accustomed to telling their limbs when and how to move. I’m sure there’s some science to all of this. I’m sure some relevant and useful data can be gleaned from those missile-tracking cameras from SportVU that the Wizards and other NBA teams are using.

How much will with the development of Porter’s mental reaction time, his killer instincts, compensate for what seems to be middling athleticism? How much will those areas improve going forward? Townsend is right, the NBA is continuing to get faster with better athletes—even to this day compared to a decade ago. Franchise-builders are also realizing the benefit of being the fastest and what it can do for a team aiming to eke out as many possessions as possible in a chase against a clock. Hence, the construction around John Wall in Washington.

Such trends are also reflected in why raw guards like Reggie Jackson can come in and have big a big impact (and do a commendable job filling in for Russell Westbrook), and why Eric Bledsoe is so coveted. Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough on his new stud acquisition, the guy who played in John Wall’s shadow at Kentucky (and the guy who out-shined Wall at certain points last season): “I hope he can be . He’s not yet. But I’d say all of us, myself included, are very excited to see what he’ll become.” But both Bledsoe and Wall can only improve if they apply smarts to their inherent ability.

The NBA is also about spacing and pace. Just watch the San Antonio Spurs, or even the Miami Heat (excellent spacing teams). Or simply consider what the experts say that every single point guard ever coming into the league needs to learn (pace). Build around athletes like Wall, but teams also need guys who can master balancing nuances. We still don’t know if Porter can master nuance, as beyond athleticism, his lack of aggressiveness in Las Vegas has raised some red flags.

Worth noting: Beal may have struggled himself as a summer leaguer in Vegas, a tad, and he may have been the benefit of some star calls there, but he also averaged 7.2 free throw attempts per game in his five 2012 Summer League appearances.

As a college freshman, however, Beal averaged 5.5 free throw attempts per 40 minutes (pace adjusted) and shot 76.9 percent from the charity stripe. Porter averaged 3.4 FTAs per pace adjusted 40 minutes as a freshman (70.2% shooting) and 5.7 FTAs as a sophomore (77.7%).

Amongst NBA rookies who played in at least 41 games last season, Bradley Beal ranked 13th in free throw attempts per 40 minutes at 3.6 (via Basketball-Reference.com). Amongst other rookies who appeared in 41 or more games, Kent Bazemore averaged 6.6, Dion Waiters 4.9, Damian Lillard 4.1, Harrison Barnes 3.7, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist 3.7 fared better than Beal.

So in some senses, Beal needs to improve upon converting possessions into free points just as much as Porter will need to, even though Beal entered the NBA with the reputation of being tough enough to will his way to the rim, and Porter didn’t.

With much caveat, Draft Express, as Townsend cites in his post, ranked 2012 draft hopefuls according to their NBA Chicago Draft Combine athletic testing. It’s an uncertain window of numbers, always, but any numbers are worth a review, always. Otto Porter ranked 38 out of 52 players. Teammate Glen Rice, Jr. ranked 9th and provided a number of highlight dunks in Vegas.

So for posterity’s sake, let’s take a deeper dive into some of Porter’s individual measurements and timings and compare them to other historical measurements using Draft Express’s database.
LENGTH.

Porter measured 6’7.5” without shoes in Chicago.

According to Draft Express’s historical measurements, Porter’s wingspan is 0.9 inches longer than the average for his height. His standing reach is 0.4 inches shorter on average. So Porter’s length generally passes the test… or at least he doesn’t have alligator arms.

Otto Porter’s Wingspan: 7’1.5” (average for height: 7’0.4”)

Let’s take a look at others who have the same 7’1.5” wingspan as Porter (and their heights without shoes in parenthesis):

Enes Kanter (6’9.75” without shoes)
Nick Collison (6’8.75”)
Ronny Turiaf (6’8”)
Danny Granger (6’7.5”)
Derrick Williams (6’7.25”)
Paul Millsap (6’6.25”)

Let’s also look at some players whose wingspan is a quarter-inch shorter than Porter’s (7’1.25”):

Joakim Noah (6’10.5” without shoes)
Jeff Green (6’7.75”)
Tristan Thompson (6’7.5”)
Draymond Green (6’5.75”)

Noah’s wingspan is surprisingly small for his defensive abilities.

Otto Porter’s Standing Reach: 8’9.5” (average for height: 8’9.9”)

Players with the same 8’9.5” standing reach as Porter (heights without shoes):

Cody Zeller (6’10” without shoes)
Troy Murphy (6’9.75”)
Matt Bonner (6’8.5̸
Carmelo Anthony (6’6.25”)
Paul Millsap (6’6.25”)
Shaun Livingston (6’6.25”)
Andre Igoudala (6’5.75”)
Josh Howard (6’5.25”)

HANDS.

Hand length and width is a recently tracked measurement and only available on DraftExpress.com since 2010. But, as goes the tale (moral?) of Kwame Brown, having tiny hands is a curse and never a blessing, unless you need to reach a tiny snack stuck in the vending machine.

Otto Porter’s Hand Length: 8.75″

This is the same as Victor Oladipo, Ben McLeMore, Greg Monroe, Tobias Harris, and Evan Turner (and 0.25″ larger than Paul George, Eric Bledsoe, Kenneth Faried, Norris Cole, Gordon Hayward, Bradley Beal, Markieff Morris, and Tomas Satoransky).

Otto Porter’s Hand Width: 9.25″

Same as Oladipo, Tristan Thompson, Klay Thompson, Gordon Hayward, Greivis Vasquez, and Derrick Favors (and 0.25″ larger than Jordan Crawford, Paul George, Tobias Harris, Iman Shumpert, and Bradley Beal).

Does Otto Porter have the hands of a guard? (Does Greg Monroe have the hands of a guard?) Maybe Porter’s hands are big enough, but if Summer League emphasized anything, his hands need to be a lot stronger. Item No. 2 on Porter’s summer workout plan: finger-tip push-ups. (Item No. 1 is getting hit repeatedly by dummy pads while driving to the basket.)
QUICKS.

Otto Porter’s Sprint Time: 3.40 seconds

This was the same time as Tyler Zeller, Draymond Green, Joe Johnson, and Jared Jeffries—not a bunch of athletes. Porter tested slightly slower than Martell Webster and Andre Dummond (3.39); as well as Channing Frye, Josh Childress, and Tiago Splitter (3.38). Sorta yikes.

Porter tested slightly faster than Trey Thompkins, Luke Harangody, Taj Gibson, and Coby Karl (3.41). Not encouraging // Quick ain’t fair.

Quick is a list like this: John Wall (3.14), OJ Mayo (3.14), James Harden (3.13), Ty Lawson (3.12), Trevor Booker (3.10), Mike Conley (3.09), Dwyane Wade (3.08), and Nate Robinson (2.96). Guys like Paul Millsap, Chris Bosh, Mike Dunleavy, Danny Green, Charlie Villanueva and Shane Battier all tested out in the 3.30 range.

Otto Porter’s Agility Time: 11.25 seconds

Slightly faster than Jerryd Bayless (11.26), Ben Gordon (11.28), Enes Kanter (11.30), Danny Green (11.30), Jimmy Butler (11.30), Darko Milicic (11.30), and Dan Grunfeld (11.30).

Slightly slower than Shelvin Mack (11.23), Troy Murphy (11.22), and Dwight Howard (11.21).

Harrison Barnes put up a 10.93 on the agility test; Blake Griffin a 10.95; John Wall a 10.84; and Victor Oladipo a 10.69.
JUMPS.

There are four ways Draft Express tracks the ability to jump: no-step vertical, no-step vertical reach, max vertical, and max vertical reach. For Porter’s comparisons, I’m only going to use no-step vertical reach, since much of the game is about the highest point one can reach at the fastest rate possible (and oftentimes without momentum).

Otto Porter’s No Step Vertical Reach: 11’0.5”

Look at some of the “athletes” on this list (aside from the guards)… but measuring most closely to Dom McGuire isn’t necessarily a negative (not a positive for a third pick, either).

Kelly Olynyk (6’10.75” without shoes)
Brian Scalabrine (6’8.75”)
Drew Gooden (6’8”)
Dominic McGuire (6’7.75”)
Eduardo Najera (6’6.5”)
DeJuan Blair (6’5.25”)
Tyreke Evans (6’4”)
Jordan Crawford (6’3”)

Further comparison tools…

The website StatSheet.com calculates their own “Similarity Score” to compare college players. Per Stat Sheet (full explanation of exact metrics used here):

“Moving beyond a player’s per-game averages, this metric analyzes how he accumulates his numbers. Is he a high-usage/low-efficiency scorer or a low-usage/high-efficiency one? Does he do most of his damage from behind the 3-point arc, at the free throw line, or on 2-point field goals? How much of an impact does pace/tempo have on his box score numbers?”

The closest comparison to Porter’s sophomore season at Georgetown (versus all Big East players since 1996):

Jared Dudley‘s sophomore season at Boston College, 2004-05 (92.6%).

Porter’s college experience also closely compares to Da’Sean Butler, WVU, 2009-10 (92.5%); Jae Crowder, Marquette, 2011-12 (92.4%); and Brandon Bowman, Georgetown, 2004-05 (91.9%).

Not exactly encouraging, for what it’s worth. But worth mentioning that Dudley, after his senior year with the Eagles in 2007, was named the ACC Player of the Year and was a second team All-American. He saw heavy minutes as a freshman and from that season (1.7 3-point attempts per 40 minutes pace adjusted, 31.6% 3-point shooting), Dudley improved his 3-point shooting to 44.3 percent on 2.9 attempts per 40 minutes (pace adjusted) by the time he was a senior.

Over the past four NBA seasons (all spent with Phoenix), Dudley ranks 6th best in 3-point percentage (41.3%) amongst 76 NBA players who have played in at least 150 games and attempted at least 800 3-pointers over that span .

Otto Porter is not a supreme athlete, at least not now, if ever, and it’s something to keep an eye on. But comparatively speaking, some of his tools aren’t that different from others who have found success in the NBA. What this might most mean—and remember, conclusion from measurements always comes with doses of conjecture—is that Porter has greater challenges ahead of him than generally anticipated. In other words, Porter might not necessarily be the most NBA-ready.

The ultimate saving grace might be the development of Porter’s 3-point shot. The Wizards are banking that he can improve like he did between his freshman and sophomore seasons when he went from shooting 22.6 percent on 2.2 attempts per 40 minutes (pace adjusted) to shooting 42.2 percent on 3.9 attempts per 40 minutes (pace adjusted). If Porter can improve his shooting like the aforementioned Dudley has over time, then selecting him so high becomes more justified, as Porter provides much more talent potential in other areas than Dudley.

The gist of the story is that Otto Porter is as much of a gamble as any player the Wizards could have drafted. You just hope that they have dug deep enough below the surface, particularly in terms of personality testing, dedication evaluation, and aptitude toward improvement (to the extent those concepts can be measured and to the extent that the Wizards are trying to do such). Porter, athletically, compares to others who have found and continue to find success in increasingly athletic NBA. But will he overcome the natural limits of his body with his ability to develop otherwise in Washington? That’s the big risk the Wizards are willing to take.

~~~~~~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'll hold out for concern.
Jul 31st 2013
he was quoted as saying nba practice was too fast for him
Jul 31st 2013
      Yeah, that's not a good look, especially since it was Summer League
Jul 31st 2013
           Nah, Beal is a Django, he just needed to shoot his way into goodness.
Aug 03rd 2013
i took my L on marco bellinelli and ain't take this shit serious since
Jul 31st 2013
Hahahahah.
Jul 31st 2013
lol (c) Cenario
Jul 31st 2013
      Laugh at yourself sometime. It makes life better.
Jul 31st 2013
           o trust i laughed
Jul 31st 2013
nope
Jul 31st 2013
its beginning already ba.
Jul 31st 2013
      yeah...it is what is.
Jul 31st 2013
      Smart winners? Where?
Aug 03rd 2013
           he didn't singlehandedly win the big east or anything
Aug 03rd 2013
                Did he single handedly lose to FGCC then?
Aug 03rd 2013
                     you take the single game sample, i'll take the 18 game sample
Aug 03rd 2013
It looks like the only real "athleticism" gripe is the sprint...
Jul 31st 2013
Yea just a weird article
Jul 31st 2013
      i think ppl are just surprised he looks this lost....
Jul 31st 2013
What is y'all expectation of him? Good? All-star? Superstar?
Jul 31st 2013
Good. Rebound, defend, hit some jumpers.
Jul 31st 2013
Very good.
Jul 31st 2013
      What current NBA player is he most similar too?
Jul 31st 2013
      A less naturally gifted Paul George or a better Tayshaun.
Jul 31st 2013
           LOL!! You'd be LUCKY if he's Tayshaun
Aug 03rd 2013
      But who will he guard? He can't guard 3's or 4's right today.
Jul 31st 2013
           I think he guards the 3.
Jul 31st 2013
           sure he can
Aug 03rd 2013
he played out of position in a new offense. end of story.
Jul 31st 2013
RE: he played out of position in a new offense. end of story.
Jul 31st 2013
      1st-3rd year players + NBA journeymen
Jul 31st 2013
           lol, over half those dudes on summer league rosters haven't been on...
Aug 01st 2013
                still the best talent he has played against in his career
Aug 01st 2013
                     ^^^^^PLEAS COPPED, and I'm actually rooting for Porter but damn
Aug 01st 2013
                          for someone rooting for him, you sure are hatin'
Aug 02nd 2013
                          I was hating more on summer league than Porter
Aug 02nd 2013
                               ok. i was gonna say, he reps Missouri
Aug 03rd 2013
                          I'm confused. You think NCAA competition is superior...
Aug 02nd 2013
                               The conversation was about professional basketball
Aug 03rd 2013
lol, fuck no.
Jul 31st 2013
Way too early to tell, from way to small a sample size......
Aug 02nd 2013
the one time summer league put me in a panic was Duck Sauce
Aug 02nd 2013
http://tinyurl.com/khvbxur
Aug 03rd 2013
I TOLD y'all: http://tinyurl.com/qc7gw8r
Aug 03rd 2013
Nah, not really because even though he was drafted high, no one
Aug 03rd 2013
Nah, back off. O_E has all Olynick stock. Check the pre-draft post.
Aug 03rd 2013

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 10:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I'll hold out for concern. "
In response to Reply # 0

Rather wait until the season starts. I haven't watched much of the dude ever.

But I can't lie, if he sucks and Nerlens doesn't. I'll be vexed.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "he was quoted as saying nba practice was too fast for him"
In response to Reply # 1

took beal damn near half a season to get adjusted so maybe it's nothing
but as the article broke down dude doesn't really have the tools beal has so who knows
the whole spin on him was he was plug in play, isn't he the penciled in starter

~~~~~~

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Yeah, that's not a good look, especially since it was Summer League"
In response to Reply # 3

It took Beal a minute. He had to figure out how to use his strengths. Still needs to get a lot better though.

If Otto can just come out and play defense and stick some jumpers, hopefully he can get his confidence up. That's pretty much all they're asking him to do.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 12:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
40. "Nah, Beal is a Django, he just needed to shoot his way into goodness. "
In response to Reply # 7

Djangos aren't all good, but they never leave potential
on the table

They'll IMPROVE because they are mad and will shoot until
they improve (or peak out)

Otto is a Nyquil. He's just asleep at the wheel.

Those types of guys are harder to teach because they
just stand around and look dumb

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 10:54 AM

2. "i took my L on marco bellinelli and ain't take this shit serious since"
In response to Reply # 0

(c) U

---------------------------------------------------------

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43745 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:05 AM

5. "Hahahahah."
In response to Reply # 2

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:07 AM

6. "lol (c) Cenario"
In response to Reply # 2

my other resident dick eater already laughed

~~~~~~

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43745 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:15 AM

8. "Laugh at yourself sometime. It makes life better. "
In response to Reply # 6

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:31 AM

9. "o trust i laughed"
In response to Reply # 8

i mean questioning why a dude struggled in summer league ain't exactly the same as proclaiming a player as the next superstar in the league based off those games
but it was quick and good enough to get a chuckle out of me

~~~~~~

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:05 AM

4. "nope"
In response to Reply # 0

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26425 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "its beginning already ba."
In response to Reply # 4

They hate fundamentals They want fast athletes not smart winners. Lol.

-----------
Y'all stupid...should've tanked for Lebron/Wiggins in 2014 -Rex LongFellow

It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilarious.

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:35 PM

17. "yeah...it is what is."
In response to Reply # 12

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 12:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
37. "Smart winners? Where? "
In response to Reply # 12

>They hate fundamentals They want fast athletes not smart
>winners. Lol.

(C)Keith Murray, "

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 02:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
42. "he didn't singlehandedly win the big east or anything"
In response to Reply # 37

i appreciate you doubling down on this agenda, though.

-----------

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 02:22 PM

45. "Did he single handedly lose to FGCC then? "
In response to Reply # 42

K

(C)Keith Murray, "

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 02:36 PM

46. "you take the single game sample, i'll take the 18 game sample"
In response to Reply # 45

see which is a better predictor of future success, namean?
-----------

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:32 AM

10. "It looks like the only real "athleticism" gripe is the sprint..."
In response to Reply # 0

... and out of everything they do at the combine, the sprint may be the least applicable for in-game scenarios.

The thing this article doesn't do is post the countless success stories of players who struggled in their first Summer League and/or players with inferior combine stats to Porter who are successful NBA players, of which I'm sure there are plenty historically. Will we get a follow-up of inferior players to Porter with superior combine numbers, of which I'm sure there are plenty as well?

Just an odd, odd article. Very "the sky is falling" when Wiz fans know from Beal not to sweat Summer League.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:43 AM

11. "Yea just a weird article"
In response to Reply # 10

Cause porter was never billed as a savior or anything for the wiz but there's this long ass dissertation breaking down all his shit based off athleticism.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 01:24 PM

21. "i think ppl are just surprised he looks this lost...."
In response to Reply # 11
Wed Jul-31-13 01:24 PM by southphillyman

sam mitchell was talking like he was the worst player in the camp or something
so i googled "otto porter summer league" and a couple pages came up about how bad it's been
i linked this article since it seems dude put some effort into explaining why he might be struggling
no one is claiming he was supposed to be anything or even saying he's wack necessarily (well i guess sam mitchell was lol)

~~~~~~

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:44 AM

13. "What is y'all expectation of him? Good? All-star? Superstar?"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:48 AM

14. "Good. Rebound, defend, hit some jumpers. "
In response to Reply # 13

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:49 AM

15. "Very good. "
In response to Reply # 13
Wed Jul-31-13 11:50 AM by Frank Longo

Odd to think that his chances of making an ASG would improve in the West, but with Lebron, Melo, PG, and Deng, not to mention some of the incoming forwards in the next class and their 50/50 chances of going East, an ASG appears unlikely. There are simply too many better forwards in the league.

Still, I expect him to provide top-drawer defense and three-point shooting, a commodity that will make him a starter in this league for years.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:24 PM

16. "What current NBA player is he most similar too?"
In response to Reply # 15

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:35 PM

18. "A less naturally gifted Paul George or a better Tayshaun."
In response to Reply # 16
Wed Jul-31-13 12:37 PM by Frank Longo

I'd expect 16 and 6 with a steal or two and 38% or better from 3 by Year 3, combined with feisty defense. He won't be as good as George, but I don't think he'll be worse than Tayshaun (14/4.5/37% from 3).

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 12:20 PM

39. "LOL!! You'd be LUCKY if he's Tayshaun"
In response to Reply # 18

>I'd expect 16 and 6 with a steal or two and 38% or better
>from 3 by Year 3, combined with feisty defense. He won't be as
>good as George, but I don't think he'll be worse than Tayshaun
>(14/4.5/37% from 3).

(C)Keith Murray, "

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 01:07 PM

19. "But who will he guard? He can't guard 3's or 4's right today."
In response to Reply # 15

I think he is a heady player, but I don't see the foot speed to be an elite defender- I am basing this on what I saw of him in the Big East.

I think he will be good, unless he becomes lights out from the perimeter, I don't see much beyond that.

------------------
One Hundred.

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 01:20 PM

20. "I think he guards the 3."
In response to Reply # 19
Wed Jul-31-13 01:22 PM by Frank Longo

I don't think he can run down someone in transition, but I think he can stay between his man and the basket. His intelligence, anticipation, hands, massive wingspan, and reflexes are more than fine for defending the 3 in a set defense IMO.

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 02:50 AM

35. "sure he can"
In response to Reply # 19

-------------------------
“Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.”-- Warren Coolidge

Awburn
Member since Oct 16th 2003
1864 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 01:50 PM

22. "he played out of position in a new offense. end of story."
In response to Reply # 0

they tested him at the 2 against his first NBA level comp.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 02:08 PM

23. "RE: he played out of position in a new offense. end of story."
In response to Reply # 22

>they tested him at the 2 against his first NBA level comp.

Summer league is "NBA level comp" now?

Awburn
1864 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 02:13 PM

24. "1st-3rd year players + NBA journeymen "
In response to Reply # 23

are by definition NBA competition.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 06:12 AM

26. "lol, over half those dudes on summer league rosters haven't been on..."
In response to Reply # 24

a NBA roster and won't be

Awburn
1864 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 06:53 AM

27. "still the best talent he has played against in his career "
In response to Reply # 26

and he's not a two.

and he's in a new offense.

his performance was irrelevant.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 07:30 AM

28. "^^^^^PLEAS COPPED, and I'm actually rooting for Porter but damn"
In response to Reply # 27

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 11:38 AM

30. "for someone rooting for him, you sure are hatin'"
In response to Reply # 28

he played out of position in a pickup game that glorifies athleticism over smarts and systems. porter won't be playing 2 guard anyway, so whatever.

-----------

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 12:39 PM

32. "I was hating more on summer league than Porter"
In response to Reply # 30

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 02:09 PM

43. "ok. i was gonna say, he reps Missouri"
In response to Reply # 32

so i assumed you were pro-porter. lol.
-----------

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 12:46 PM

33. "I'm confused. You think NCAA competition is superior..."
In response to Reply # 28

... to summer league competition?

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 04:00 AM

36. "The conversation was about professional basketball "
In response to Reply # 33

Benedict the Moor
Member since Dec 06th 2011
1476 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 10:25 PM

25. "lol, fuck no. "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-31-13 10:25 PM by Benedict the Moor

nm

◦◦◦
http://oi40.tinypic.com/2enp550.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iQBdCzZIftHZ2.gif

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17897 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 11:35 AM

29. "Way too early to tell, from way to small a sample size......"
In response to Reply # 0

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 12:21 PM

31. "the one time summer league put me in a panic was Duck Sauce"
In response to Reply # 0

that has proven to be a valid fear.

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 02:46 AM

34. "http://tinyurl.com/khvbxur"
In response to Reply # 0

http://tinyurl.com/khvbxur

-------------------------
“Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.”-- Warren Coolidge

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 12:19 PM

38. "I TOLD y'all: http://tinyurl.com/qc7gw8r"
In response to Reply # 0

http://tinyurl.com/qc7gw8r

(C)Keith Murray, "

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 01:09 PM

41. "Nah, not really because even though he was drafted high, no one"
In response to Reply # 0

ever predicted he'll become a franchise player anyway...

besides, I watched nearly all the summer league gms and several of those high draft choices played liked doo doo (Burke<--downright awful, Michael Carter-Willians, and Macklemore) and several of the players shined who were somewhat under the radar in terms of expectations (Kelly Olynyk, Zeller, Reggie Bullock)

but

I don't place a lot of stock in what none of the above players did in summer league. I still think Macklemore will be a baller -- maybe not right away but eventually.

I also believe Kelly Olynyk has a chance to possibly be the steal of this draft class.

grassrootsphilosopher

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 02:22 PM

44. "Nah, back off. O_E has all Olynick stock. Check the pre-draft post. "
In response to Reply # 41

>I also believe Kelly Olynyk has a chance to possibly be the
>steal of this draft class.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2214832 Previous topic | Next topic