Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2214733

Subject: "The Top 50 College Basketball Players in 2013/14" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 11:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Top 50 College Basketball Players in 2013/14"
Tue Jul-30-13 11:45 PM by Frank Longo

McIntyre falls a little too in love with the nebulous "potential" sometimes (McAdoo was FOURTH on his list last year, lol), so not too many surprises in terms of his preferences.

I would've put Cory Jefferson in the Top 50. Maybe Jerian Grant too.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/07/26/top-50-players-in-college-basketball-for-2013-2014/

The Top 50 Players in College Basketball. What does that even mean? Let’s start with what it doesn’t mean – this isn’t just a list of who will make the best pro. You can have the best skill set and not be anywhere near the top of this list. Do you play defense? Make teammates better? Best is highly subjective, but we were looking for a combination of things – talent, stat sheet stuffers, defenders, unselfishness, and how players project for next season, as well as the future. We did a Top 50 list last July. Here’s this year’s version. At the very bottom is a few players who just missed the cut.

50. Jerrelle Benimon, F, Towson. If he played in the ACC or Big Ten, he’d have a much larger profile. Averaged 17-11 for Towson. Was 3rd in the country in rebounding. Using NBA efficiency metrics, he ranked in the Top 10 in college hoops last year.
49. Chane Behanan, F, Louisville. Had him at 22 on the list last year, and clearly that was too high, but he’s a very good college basketball player. Love his Barkley-like game inside. Can rise up, too.
48. James Young, G/F, Kentucky. One of the few guys on this list who comes off the bench, as likely will be the case with the high school star. Lefty has a smooth game; think Nick Young, minus all bad shot selection.
47. Joe Jackson, PG, Memphis. Senior will need to stop being a turnover machine if the Tigers are to finally break through for Josh Pastner. Scored 13.6 ppg.
46. Will Sheehey, F, Indiana. The Hoosiers are losing four starters, Sheehey will have to make the transition from ‘glue guy’ to ‘leader.’ Jack of many trades, master of none. But he sure can leap.
45. Bryce Cotton, PG, Providence. Slight point guard (6-foot, 165 pounds) was quietly one of the best players in the Big East last year, scoring 19.7 ppg.
44. Kyle Anderson, G, UCLA – Really struggled as a freshman, but the Bruins were a dumpster fire. Perhaps Anderson takes over as the team’s leader with some strong personalities departed? Last year: 19th on this list.
43. Alex Kirk, C, New Mexico – Freshman Posted strong stats for the Lobos – 12.1 ppg, 8.1 ppg – and was the only guy to show up in the NCAA loss against Harvard (22-12). Will be a 4th year junior in the Fall.
42. Alex Poythress, F, Kentucky. Disappointing freshman campaign, at least given the hype coming out of high school. Got lost at times, and what’s going to happen this year when he takes a backseat to all the freshman? Was 29th on this list last year.
41. LaQuinton Ross, F, Ohio State. One of the few guys on the list who didn’t start a game last year. Only played 16 minutes a night but scored 8.3 ppg, so it’s quite possible with DeShaun Thomas gone, Ross explodes. Had a very good final three games in March (17 points, 17, 19).
40. Jarnell Stokes, PF, Tennessee. Had a nice run with the US Junior National team this summer. I was probably too high on him last year (11th on this list), and he might be too low this year. Tough to figure out the inconsistent power forward (12.4 ppg, 9.6 rpg) who laid massive eggs against Florida and Kentucky (twice) last year.
39. TJ McConnell, PG, Arizona. Transfer should start alongside Nick Johnson for the Wildcats. Averaged 11.4 ppg, 5.5 apg two seasons ago at Duquesne.
38. Andre Hollins, G, Minnesota. Underrated sophomore shot 41 percent on 3-pointers and led the Gophers in scoring (14 ppg). Will be the 2nd best point guard in the Big Ten this year.
37. Andrew Harrison, PG, Kentucky. He’s too low, I know. Highlight reel is awesome. Will be surrounded by talent. Breathe, Kentucky fans, there are four other Wildcats on this list.
36. Luke Hancock, G/F, Louisville. Seems low for the MVP of the Final 4. Great shooter, consummate teammate, I think he’ll slide into Peyton Siva’s leadership role. Starred at George Mason before transferring.
35. Wayne Selden, G, Kansas. The ‘other‘ prized freshman in Lawrence, and he’ll probably thrive while all the defenses focus on Wiggins.
34. Dorian Finney-Smith, F, Florida. Surprised there are no Gators on this list? Well there are a lot of good players on the team, but no great ones. (Well, incoming freshman Chris Walker isn’t academically cleared, or he’d be on this list.) Finney-Smith sat out last year after transferring from Virginia Tech. McDonald’s All-American. Reportedly dominant in practice.
33. Dez Wells, G, Maryland – Transfer from Xavier averaged 13.1 ppg for the up-and-down Terps, but expect those numbers to rise with Alen Len gone to the NBA. If you look at just returning players, Wells is one of the five best in the ACC.
32. James Michael McAdoo, F, North Carolina. Slightly disappointing sophomore season (14.4 ppg, 7.3 rpg) after being poised for a monster year. He’s getting a soft/passive label and rarely seems hungry enough to rebound. I completely whiffed on him last year, having him 4th.
31. Noah Vonleh, F, Indiana. All the Hoosier talk is about Sheehey and point guard Yogi Ferrell, but the only way Indiana contends in the Big 10 is if Vonleh is as advertised. He’s added 20 pounds since arriving on campus in May and I expect him to be the team’s best player by February, if not sooner.
30. Kevin Pangos, G, Gonzaga – Biggest question is how he’ll perform with star Kelly Olynyk now in a Boston Celtics jersey. Pangos averaged 11.9 ppg as a freshman, then 13.6 as a sophomore and for his career is a 40.8 percent 3-point shooter.
29. Cleanthony Early, F, Wichita State. Perhaps the biggest key to the Shockers’ unlikely Final 4 run was the play of Early. Averaged 13.9 ppg for the season, and blew up for 21-7 against Pitt in the first round of the NCAA tournament, then dropped 24-10 on Louisville in the Final 4.
28. Ryan Arcidiacono, G, Villanova. Criminally underrated guard who was the Big East Rookie of the Year on the Big East All-Rookie team and Big 5 (Philly) Rookie of the Year. You put him on a team with talent, and he’s probably in the Top 20 on this list, maybe Top 15. The Wildcats return a lot of mediocre players, and Arch will once again have to carry the team.
27. Jordan Adams, G, UCLA. Before he went down for the season with an broken foot, Adams was arguably the best freshman scorer in the country. Averaged 15.3 ppg for the Bruins, and with Shabazz Muhammad and Larry Drew gone, look for Adams to take on a larger scoring role for Steve Alford’s Bruins.
26. Russ Smith, G, Louisville. Came out of the womb shooting. Chucker. Nearly shot the Cardinals out of the National title game. But the kid can score. Stayed in school, which was smart; the Cardinals have a legit shot at repeating as NCAA champs.
25. Marshall Henderson, G, Mississippi – Assuming the drugs don’t sideline him, he should score at least 20 a night for the Rebels. He carried Ole Miss in the SEC tourney, and then to the NCAA tourney last year, and helped them beat Wisconsin. As far as 1-dimensional basketball players go, he’s near the top of the list. Made 138 three-pointers last year, 2nd most in the country.
24. Isaiah Austin, F/C, Baylor. Wasn’t the game-changer everyone thought he’d be last year despite averages of 13 ppg, 8 rpg. Tough to find a 7-footer who can step out and shoot 33 percent from deep, though.
23. Shabazz Napier, G, UConn. Lightning-quick guard will be one of the best players in the ‘new’ Big East. where the hell is UConn playing anyway? Eh, it’s not really important. Averaged 17.1 ppg, 4.6 assists, 4.4 rpg per game.
22. Jordan McRae, SG, Tennessee – First team All-SEC player passed on the NBA draft, and he could lead the conference in scoring next season. How did the Vols only win 20 games with two Top 40 players?
21. Rodney Hood, F, Duke. Two years ago at Mississippi State he posted 10.2 ppg and 4.8 rpg. Suffered a summer injury but he’s expected to be 100% before the season begins. My guess is he’ll thrive at Duke. Can teams afford to double him and leave Parker and Sulaimon open?
20. Willie Cauley-Stein, C, Kentucky. Shot-blocking machine who had a good freshman year on a team that underachieved. He’ll be a high NBA pick based on how great of an athlete he is for being a 7-footer. Couldn’t he be Tyson Chandler as a pro?
19. Rasheed Sulaimon, G, Duke. Very good freshman year (11.6 ppg) should turn into an explosive sophomore one with other big-time scorers alongside him like Parker and Hood. Hit a freshman wall late (awful 1-for-10 against Louisville in Elite 8 loss).
18. PJ Hairston, SG, North Carolina. He’ll probably open the season suspended, but we’re just making a list here of the best players in the country, so that’s irrelevant. Vanished in a lot of games early last year. But when he’s cooking, few shooting guards in the country can keep up.
17. Tyler Haws, G, BYU – Scored 21.7 ppg as a freshman, and with Brandon Davies gone, there’s an outside shot Haws leads the country in scoring. Came out of high school as the 145th best player in his class, according to Rivals. Yeah, he’s improved quite a bit.
16. Jahii Carson, PG, Arizona State. I’m sure there will be groans about this ranking. Might have been the most underrated player in the nation last year after scoring 18.5 ppg, and setting six freshman school records. The speedster is a sleeper for Pac-12 Player of the Year.
15. Spencer Dinwiddie, G/F, Colorado. The best player you probably aren’t aware of. Does a little bit of everything – 15.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 3.0 apg – and gets to the foul line like a pro. Had a forgettable end the season against Illinois in March (1-of-8, six points, four fouls).
14. Montrezl Harrell, F, Louisville. Modest stats as a freshman (5.7 ppg, 3.6 rpg), but had a strong NCAA tourney and even better summer. Long arms, beastly inside, and should be a double-double guy. If you’re making a list of players to make The Leap from one year to another, he might be 1st on the list.
13. Sam Dekker, F, Wisconsin. Despite Bo Ryan’s restrictive system, it wouldn’t shock me if he doubled his freshman averages of 9.6 ppg and 3.4 rpg. Already has the makings of a complete player (47/39/69). Dekker does so many things well.
 Also, loves Jennifer Lawrence.
12. CJ Fair, F, Syracuse. Great on the baseline, nice touch inside 15 feet, but the pressure will be on him to do much more with the Orange losing three starters. Improved his game this much: Made one three pointer as a freshman; 30 last season.
11. Mitch McGary, C, Michigan. Blew up in the NCAA tourney. Product of Trey Burke or not? We’ll see. Monster around the basket, great feet, great hands. Energetic, active, very fun to watch. I compared him to DeJuan Blair, the former Pitt great.
10. Adreian Payne, F, Michigan State. At 6-10, 240, I find him to be one of the most fun big men to watch in the country. Would be featured offensively on other teams, and his stats would be larger than 10.5 ppg and 7.6 rpg. Had 17-12 and owned McGary in a March loss to the Wolverines. Athletic. Very athletic.
9. Glenn Robinson III, F, Michigan. Could have gone to the NBA and probably been a lottery pick. One of the most athletic players in the Big 10. Expect him to lead the team in scoring with Burke/Hardaway gone.
8. Gary Harris, SG, Michigan State. Best player on the 27-win Spartans and he’d be more of a National name if Tom Izzo reigned in Appling and let Harris go to work. Expect a monster sophomore year after 12.9 ppg as a freshman.
7. Doug McDermott, F, Creighton. Second best senior in the country, but the best offensive player in the Nation. Tremendous shooter. Stats last year were insane: 54/49/87 and 23 ppg.
6. Aaron Craft, PG, Ohio State. Best senior in college basketball – sorry, Doug McDermott – isn’t a great shooter, but he’s clutch, a tenacious defender, and can I toss in scrappy, too? Crafty, as well. Rick Reilly vs. Aaron Craft was fun in March.
5. Jabari Parker, F, Duke- One-time Sports Illustrated cover boy should start immediately. Already a Chicago legend. So good, he's wearing #1, previously worn by Kyrie Irving.
4. Aaron Gordon, F, Arizona. Highlight-reel dunker who will embarrass some defenders this year. Early favorite for Pac-12 POY.
3. Julius Randle, F, Kentucky. In perhaps the most loaded recruiting class in the history of the sport, Randle is the best player. Wiggins got the best of him in high school, but Randle has few peers at his position.
2. Marcus Smart, PG, Oklahoma State. 2nd team All-American guard averaged 15.4 points, 5.8 rebounds, 4.2 assists per game, and don't forget the 3.0 steals. I'm thinking Final Four appearance, then Top 5 pick in the 2014 draft.
1. Andrew Wiggins, SF, Kansas. He's supposed to be the best high school player since LeBron, and appears to be a lock to go 1st in the 2014 draft. No pressure.

Thirteen who barely missed the cut:

Sam Thompson, G/F, Ohio State. Skywalking dunking machine.
Augustine Rubit, F, South Alabama. With a name like that … Sun Belt Conf Player of the year averaged 19-10 last year.
Jerian Grant, F, Notre Dame. Averaged 13.3 ppg for the Irish, should be their best player next season.
Tyler Ennis, PG, Syracuse. Incoming freshman starred for Canada this summer, could light up the Carrier Dome.
Cory Jefferson, F, Baylor. Overshadowed by trigger-happy guards and hyped freshman, but still posted 13.3 ppg, 8.3 rpg
Jabari Bird, G/F, Cal. Incoming freshman arrives with major hype, will need to fill the scoring guard of departed Allen Crabbe.
Travis Bader, SG, Oakland. Averaged 22.9 ppg and made more 3-point FGs (139) than anyone in the country.
Kellen Dunham, G, Butler. One of the last cuts. It was more of projection than anything. He’ll be Butler’s go-to guy in the post-Brad Stevens era.
Markel Brown, F, Oklahoma State. Solid all-around player, and a nice complement to Marcus Smart. Brown’s emergence last season made my LeBryan Nash projection on last year’s list look really bad.
Corey Hawkins, G, UC Davis – Will be a contender to lead the country in scoring after averaging 20.3 ppg last season.
Sean Kilpatrick, SG, Cincinnati. Very nice player, but shot selection (39 percent from the field, 30 percent from the deep) remains bizarre.
DeQuan Hicks, F, Northwestern State. Averaged 14 ppg, 5.9 rpg, and shot 58 percent from the field.
Cleveland Melvin, F, DePaul – He averaged 16.6 points a game as a sophomore, a slight drop from his 17.5 points and 7.4 rebounds a game as a freshman.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lol @ Sheehey on the list and Terone Johnson not even on
Jul 30th 2013
Yes he is
Jul 31st 2013
      your boy Diebler got jokes lol
Jul 31st 2013
if wiggins didnt get no hummer..i dont believe the hype
Jul 31st 2013
Jordan McRae is one of the better guards nobody knows about.
Jul 31st 2013
Aaron Craft will be shutting down your team's best PG this year
Jul 31st 2013
Quinn Cook outplayed him last year... :)
Jul 31st 2013
He had a crappy first half, but played well in the 2nd half
Jul 31st 2013
But will he do so from a reclining position: http://oi42.tinypic.com/6h1...
Jul 31st 2013
      so predictable, like Denard's interceptions
Jul 31st 2013
Jordan Adams is easily a top 20 player...
Jul 31st 2013
agreed. folks will realize as much pretty soon
Jul 31st 2013
I agree. He was UCLA's best player last year.
Jul 31st 2013
Michigan State has something to say this year.
Jul 31st 2013
I wish Adriean woulda got his money lol
Jul 31st 2013
Glad to see Dez Wells on the list
Jul 31st 2013
LMAO @ Benimon and no hoyas
Jul 31st 2013
Our guys are too low
Jul 31st 2013
Well, he explained why Poythress is so low well enough, lol.
Jul 31st 2013
      People are sleeping on Alex.
Jul 31st 2013
           So you think Poythress will have a bigger impact than WCS?
Jul 31st 2013
                I think so. He's a matchup problem.
Jul 31st 2013
this season is going to be so fun.
Jul 31st 2013
im not sure this guy watches games
Jul 31st 2013
Cosign at least on GRIII, who is definitely too high.
Jul 31st 2013
      point guard will take a dip, but less of one than most think
Jul 31st 2013
           speaking of...i see a couple guys on this list < Stauskas
Jul 31st 2013
           i cannot WAIT for that matchup.
Jul 31st 2013
           last year Harris had a tendency to get emo when things went bad
Jul 31st 2013
                i wish they'd just hurry up and release the schedules
Jul 31st 2013
                     i have to be careful not to wish football away waiting for hoops lol
Jul 31st 2013
                          lol that's true....
Jul 31st 2013
           Bilas was saying GRIII at the Skills Academy was up to his old tricks.
Jul 31st 2013
                thats a little disheartening...but just a little
Jul 31st 2013
also this list needs to figure out what it wants to be
Jul 31st 2013
I would personally only make a Top 50 out of returning players.
Jul 31st 2013
      seems like a much better idea
Jul 31st 2013
      Right. Just eyeballing it, my Top 10 returners:
Jul 31st 2013
           i really like Dekker, id find a way to shoehorn him in there
Jul 31st 2013
                I'd put him right on the periphery there, yeah.
Jul 31st 2013
      I think you're confusing McIntyre with someone else
Jul 31st 2013
           He was talking about the summers on his podcast.
Jul 31st 2013
Hood top 5.
Jul 31st 2013
Craft @ 6 is laughable
Jul 31st 2013
Shabazz #23, Craft #6. Haha, don't worry you'll know in April.
Jul 31st 2013
Dekker will be fun to watch and see how much he grows
Jul 31st 2013
PLAY TOO LOW/TOO HIGH HERE:
Jul 31st 2013
too high: Harrell, Smith, McConell, K. Anderson, Finney-Smith, Crat
Jul 31st 2013
Definitely agree on Sheehey and Dekker.
Jul 31st 2013
id like to see a ranking for all the freshman of top 25 teams
Jul 31st 2013
Although this is from Bleacher Report (ugh), here's one:
Jul 31st 2013
      Nah I wanted a list ranking ALL the FR for the top 25
Aug 01st 2013
      Oh you just wanna see the froshes on the top teams? That's easy.
Aug 01st 2013
           yup, now we just need a credible HSBB scout to rank them all
Aug 01st 2013
                Most of that we won't know til December.
Aug 01st 2013
      its amazing to me that a guy like Irvin is gonna have to wait at M
Aug 01st 2013
      Derrick Walton should be on this list, maybe even ahead of irvin
Aug 01st 2013
CJ Fair time up Syracuse. Big year coming up
Aug 01st 2013
July's top performers on the camp circuit
Aug 02nd 2013
Re: Each 1 Teach 1's win streak...
Aug 02nd 2013
dem 'Rines..
Aug 03rd 2013
Some elite high school talent on ESPNU tonight....
Aug 05th 2013
I wish I was able to go watch in person.
Aug 05th 2013

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 11:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "lol @ Sheehey on the list and Terone Johnson not even on "
In response to Reply # 0

The missed cut list. Not saying Terone is top 50 - just that in no universe is Will a better player

Geah
Member since Feb 16th 2007
48407 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 08:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Yes he is"
In response to Reply # 1

@geahuwine

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
44. "your boy Diebler got jokes lol"
In response to Reply # 12

http://instagram.com/evanalmighty12

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:07 AM

2. "if wiggins didnt get no hummer..i dont believe the hype"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:14 AM

3. "Jordan McRae is one of the better guards nobody knows about."
In response to Reply # 0

He'll have a big year and could sneak into the first round.

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Aaron Craft will be shutting down your team's best PG this year"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-31-13 12:31 AM by guru0509

AGAIN. (Thanks will, benny and frank)

and you'll have to sit there and watch Rosy Cheeks completely destroy your floor general's confidence.

oh yea, Shannon Scott is a defensive demon too. I fully expect us to be the best defensive team in the B1G, and among the best in the country.

I have my reservations about LaQ as the number 1 guy. His defense is spotty and he gets rattled easily. Hopefully he overcomes that, he has first round athleticism.

-------------------

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:31 AM

5. "Quinn Cook outplayed him last year... :)"
In response to Reply # 4

But I agree that that's an anomaly. I can't think of another defensive floor general I'd want.

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 01:23 AM

8. "He had a crappy first half, but played well in the 2nd half"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Jul-31-13 01:30 AM by guru0509

he could relax defensively in the 2nd half bc Craft wasnt making ANYTHING. it was atrocious.

rasheed and mason plumlee played even better& ryan kelly got hot

that was a great game. wish we were playing again instead of Maryland.

-------------------

Jayson Willyams
Member since Nov 18th 2004
3260 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 09:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "But will he do so from a reclining position: http://oi42.tinypic.com/6h1..."
In response to Reply # 4

http://oi42.tinypic.com/6h1fz7.jpg

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 10:03 AM

21. "so predictable, like Denard's interceptions"
In response to Reply # 20

before that game, we had won 9 in a row vs little sister, so i can see why you'd cherish that.

-------------------

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:43 AM

6. "Jordan Adams is easily a top 20 player..."
In response to Reply # 0

got to bounce back from that foot but now with him being the #1 scoring option.... He's in for a huge year...and he's a very solid defender..

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 01:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
48. "agreed. folks will realize as much pretty soon"
In response to Reply # 6

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 01:07 PM

50. "I agree. He was UCLA's best player last year."
In response to Reply # 6

If fully recovered, he'll be fun to watch.

Prodiqal_Son
Member since Jul 01st 2002
9277 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Michigan State has something to say this year."
In response to Reply # 0

supporting a friend: www.clutchmagazine.com ...at a local newsstand near you, soon!

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 01:24 AM

9. "I wish Adriean woulda got his money lol"
In response to Reply # 7

-------------------

Poorspellir
Member since Oct 26th 2011
1911 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 07:38 AM

10. "Glad to see Dez Wells on the list"
In response to Reply # 0

One of my favorite players to watch last year.

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26425 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 08:13 AM

11. "LMAO @ Benimon and no hoyas"
In response to Reply # 0

he transferred because he couldn't hack it in the big east after 2 years and was getting boo'ed (too much. i was embarrassed) at home games, but this moron writes:

>50. Jerrelle Benimon, F, Towson. If he played in the ACC or
>Big Ten, he’d have a much larger profile. Averaged 17-11 for
>Towson. Was 3rd in the country in rebounding. Using NBA
>efficiency metrics, he ranked in the Top 10 in college hoops

-----------
Y'all stupid...should've tanked for Lebron/Wiggins in 2014 -Rex LongFellow

It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilarious.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 08:35 AM

13. "Our guys are too low"
In response to Reply # 0

We should have 6 on there. Most 30 and above.

Best frontcourt in the country. And probably the best backcourt in the country. And maybe the best 6th man too.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:39 AM

24. "Well, he explained why Poythress is so low well enough, lol."
In response to Reply # 13

I don't think Randle or WCS are too low. We'll see on Harrison and Young, but there's really only so much the ball can go around. One or two of those guys will have to sit in the way back compared to the others.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:46 AM

26. "People are sleeping on Alex. "
In response to Reply # 24

He did struggle, but he still put up 11 and 6 as a freshman. That's better than a lot of dudes he has higher than him.

And the Twins are gonna do work as well.

WCS is where he should be, maybe too high.

I project the pecking order to go...

Julius
Alex
Andrew Harrison
WCS
Young/Aaron Harrison

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:53 AM

31. "So you think Poythress will have a bigger impact than WCS?"
In response to Reply # 26

I know WCS won't be a scorer, but having bodies like him and Randle in the paint defensively in Cal's system seems to me to be perhaps the greatest advantage UK has (out of the several they will have, lol).

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:08 PM

33. "I think so. He's a matchup problem. "
In response to Reply # 31

WCS still isn't very skilled.

Poythress just had an intensity and ball handling issues.

WCS had intensity and skills problem.

If Poythress is working like he should be, he should have all of those things sorted out.

WCS never seems focused to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Dakari eventually beats him out to tell you the truth.

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 08:42 AM

14. "this season is going to be so fun."
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35273 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 08:51 AM

15. "im not sure this guy watches games"
In response to Reply # 0

McGary (ranked too low) was guarding Nix, GR3 (ranked wayyy too high) was on Payne

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:35 AM

22. "Cosign at least on GRIII, who is definitely too high."
In response to Reply # 15

>McGary (ranked too low) was guarding Nix, GR3 (ranked wayyy
>too high) was on Payne

Like I said, he's a very "potential" heavy guy, so in that regard, it's easy to fall in love with GRIII.

I like McGary's placement, considering (a) the brief amount of ball at that level we saw from him, and (b) the fact he'll have point guard play inferior to last postseason when he blew up. I don't think he'll regress, but there's enough on those two points that I wouldn't place him much higher than he is off the break.

cgonz00cc
35273 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:46 AM

25. "point guard will take a dip, but less of one than most think"
In response to Reply # 22

but with stauskas and robinson getting better i think MM will actually find himself with *more* room to operate

but word is McGary and Robinson had excellent summers doing the NBA player camp circuit. particularly McGary at Lebron's. although i think Bron yammed on him something nasty at one point during camp.

id also swap Gary Harris and Aaron Craft.

cgonz00cc
35273 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:47 AM

27. "speaking of...i see a couple guys on this list < Stauskas"
In response to Reply # 25

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:51 AM

30. "i cannot WAIT for that matchup."

>id also swap Gary Harris and Aaron Craft.

-------------------

cgonz00cc
35273 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:42 PM

37. "last year Harris had a tendency to get emo when things went bad"
In response to Reply # 30

if thats still the case, huge mental advantage to Craft

but gahdamm can Harris score

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:47 PM

40. "i wish they'd just hurry up and release the schedules"
In response to Reply # 37

-------------------

cgonz00cc
35273 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:53 PM

43. "i have to be careful not to wish football away waiting for hoops lol"
In response to Reply # 40

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:57 PM

46. "lol that's true...."
In response to Reply # 43

hopefully the intra-league parity in football catches up with basketball

-------------------

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:56 AM

32. "Bilas was saying GRIII at the Skills Academy was up to his old tricks."

On McIntyre's podcast recently, he was saying GRIII would disappear, sometimes seemed to not be fully asserting himself, etc.

I don't doubt MM's skills (if you recall, I was saying he should leave for pros as I thought he'd go lotto in last year's draft), I just want to see him go a full season with it before I put him TOO high on my list.

I might make my own list of returning players.

cgonz00cc
35273 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:41 PM

36. "thats a little disheartening...but just a little"
In response to Reply # 32

in reality "too passive" is relative to the team and the players around u

id rather have him play team ball and be criticized for passive play if it helps the team win

put him on Wake Forest and who knows what he would do

cgonz00cc
35273 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 08:54 AM

16. "also this list needs to figure out what it wants to be"
In response to Reply # 0

if its really a list of the 50 best college basketball players next year, how is Marcus Smart not #1 by default (c)

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:37 AM

23. "I would personally only make a Top 50 out of returning players."
In response to Reply # 16

But then again, McIntyre watches enough AAU/summer camps that he thinks he can accurately assess the incoming.

I think he's just burned from putting Davis and Noel too low. He might've put Smart ahead of Wiggy but didn't wanna be "that guy."

cgonz00cc
35273 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:48 AM

28. "seems like a much better idea"
In response to Reply # 23

you can do a rerank with freshman around xmas time if you need to

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:14 PM

34. "Right. Just eyeballing it, my Top 10 returners:"
In response to Reply # 28

1. Smart
2. Harris
3. McDermott
4. Payne
5. Craft
6. Hood
7. McGary
8. Carson
9. Sulaimon
10. Dinwiddie

cgonz00cc
35273 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:43 PM

38. "i really like Dekker, id find a way to shoehorn him in there"
In response to Reply # 34

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:44 PM

39. "I'd put him right on the periphery there, yeah."
In response to Reply # 38

He probably wouldn't be Top 15 on a full freshman-included list for me-- but he'd be pushing Top 20 if not in it.

daskap
Member since Oct 17th 2003
6981 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:49 PM

41. "I think you're confusing McIntyre with someone else"
In response to Reply # 23

he's not out there on the summer circuit and evaluating players

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:57 PM

45. "He was talking about the summers on his podcast."
In response to Reply # 41
Wed Jul-31-13 12:58 PM by Frank Longo

It's of course quite likely that he just got reports from others. The way he talked about it, I just assumed he was there.

Side note: Adidas Nations starts in LA tomorrow or Friday. I wish I could sneak in and check it out.

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 08:59 AM

17. "Hood top 5. "
In response to Reply # 0

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

daskap
Member since Oct 17th 2003
6981 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 09:03 AM

18. "Craft @ 6 is laughable"
In response to Reply # 0

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 09:25 AM

19. "Shabazz #23, Craft #6. Haha, don't worry you'll know in April."
In response to Reply # 0

UCONN will be ranked and treated like a Mid major next year....Ollie gonna let y'all know whats up though

------------------
One Hundred.

temps2020
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8780 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:49 AM

29. "Dekker will be fun to watch and see how much he grows"
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:20 PM

35. "PLAY TOO LOW/TOO HIGH HERE:"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm only playing with returning guys:

Too low:
Harris
Dinwiddie
Carson
Sulaimon
Hood
McRae
Austin
Adams
Early
Wells
Poythress
Benahan
Jefferson
Grant

Too high:
GRIII
Fair
Dekker
Harrell (all four of those guys are really good, just shouldn't be preseason top 15 IMO)
Henderson
McAdoo
Anderson
Sheehey
Benimon

cgonz00cc
35273 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:52 PM

42. "too high: Harrell, Smith, McConell, K. Anderson, Finney-Smith, Crat"
In response to Reply # 35

too high: GR3, Harrell, Smith, McConell, K. Anderson, Finney-Smith, Craft (only by virtue of who is right behind him tho, still a top ~12 guy)

too low: Pangos, McDermott (who id rather have for the 13-14 season than any freshman entering college this year), Dinwiddie, McGary, Smart (the most glaring "too low" on the list imo)

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 11:55 PM

51. "Definitely agree on Sheehey and Dekker. "
In response to Reply # 35

They're solid, but I wouldn't have them on any "top" list. I will disagree on Poythress, though. That guy is RAW. He's got a high ceiling, but I don't think he's a very good player yet.

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 12:58 PM

47. "id like to see a ranking for all the freshman of top 25 teams"
In response to Reply # 0

we know who the top 5 usually are...im more interested in the 7 through 25

-------------------

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Wed Jul-31-13 01:05 PM

49. "Although this is from Bleacher Report (ugh), here's one:"
In response to Reply # 47

This list is different than most, as it weighs opportunity as heavily as athleticism and skill. Players with positional competition fall lower on the list.

25. Marcus Lee, UK
24. Demetrius Jackson, Notre Dame
23. Robert Hubbs, Tenn
22. Dakari Johnson, UK
21. Zak Irvin, Mich
20. Isaiah Hicks, UNC
19. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Zona
18. Chris Walker, UF
17. James Young, UK
16. Jarell Martin, LSU
15. Aaron Gordon, Zona
14. Bobby Portis, Arkansas
13. Austin Nichols, Memphis
12. Tyler Ennis, Cuse
11. Wayne Selden, KU
10. Rysheed Jordan, St. John's
9. Noah Vonleh, Indy
8. Kasey Hill, UF
7. Joel Embiid, KU
6. Julius Randle, UK
5. Jabari Bird, Cal
4. Aaron Harrison, UK
3. Andrew Harrison, UK
2. Jabari Parker, Duke
1. Wiggy, KU

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 07:51 AM

53. "Nah I wanted a list ranking ALL the FR for the top 25"
In response to Reply # 49
Thu Aug-01-13 07:57 AM by guru0509

& cosign on the bleacher report.

>This list is different than most, as it weighs opportunity as
>heavily as athleticism and skill. Players with positional
>competition fall lower on the list.
>
>25. Marcus Lee, UK
>24. Demetrius Jackson, Notre Dame
>23. Robert Hubbs, Tenn
>22. Dakari Johnson, UK
>21. Zak Irvin, Mich
>20. Isaiah Hicks, UNC
>19. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Zona
>18. Chris Walker, UF
>17. James Young, UK
>16. Jarell Martin, LSU
>15. Aaron Gordon, Zona
>14. Bobby Portis, Arkansas
>13. Austin Nichols, Memphis
>12. Tyler Ennis, Cuse
>11. Wayne Selden, KU
>10. Rysheed Jordan, St. John's
>9. Noah Vonleh, Indy
>8. Kasey Hill, UF
>7. Joel Embiid, KU
>6. Julius Randle, UK
>5. Jabari Bird, Cal
>4. Aaron Harrison, UK
>3. Andrew Harrison, UK
>2. Jabari Parker, Duke
>1. Wiggy, KU

-------------------

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 11:49 AM

56. "Oh you just wanna see the froshes on the top teams? That's easy."
In response to Reply # 53

Obviously these aren't full-blown updated ranks, just a list-- but I've included a link to the RSCI (explanation and full list breakdown here: http://www.draftexpress.com/RSCI/2013/). That would provide the closest thing to a "ranking" as one can get.

Using ESPN's super out of date preseason Top 25 and the Rivals150 as a jump-off point:

Kentucky:
Julius Randle
Aaron Harrison
Andrew Harrison
James Young
Dakari Johnson
Marcus Lee
Derek Willis

Louisville:
Anton Gill
Akoy Agau

Michigan State:
Gavin Schilling

Arizona:
Aaron Gordon
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Elliott Pitts

Duke:
Jabari Parker
Matt Jones
Semi Ojeleye

OSU:
Marc Loving
Kameron Williams

Florida:
Chris Walker
Kasey Hill

Cuse:
Tyler Ennis
Tyler Roberson
B.J. Johnson

Michigan:
Zak Irvin
Derrick Walton
Mark Donnai

Oklahoma State:
Stevie Clark
Leyton Hammonds

UNC:
Isaiah Hicks
Kennedy Meeks
Nate Britt

Wichita State:
None

VCU:
None

Memphis:
Austin Nichols
Kuran Iverson
Nick King
Markel Crawford
Dominic Woodson
RaShawn Powell

Marquette:
JaJuan Johnson
Duane Wilson
Deonte Burton

New Mexico:
Cullen Neal

Gonzaga:
None

Baylor:
Ishmail Wainright
Allerik Freeman
Johnnathan Motley

Tenn:
Robert Hubbs
Darius Thompson

Indy:
Noah Vonleh
Troy Williams
Stanford Robinson
Luke Fischer
Devin Davis

Kansas:
Wiggy
Wayne Selden
Joel Embiid
Brannan Greene
Conner Frankamp
Frank Mason

Colorado:
Jaron Hopkins
Tre'shaun Fletcher
Dustin Thomas

UConn:
Kentan Facey
Terrence Samuel

UCLA:
Zach LaVine

Iowa:
None

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 12:06 PM

57. "yup, now we just need a credible HSBB scout to rank them all "
In response to Reply # 56
Thu Aug-01-13 12:09 PM by guru0509

based on this summer's camps and last years AAU performances

nah i appreciate it though, i was just trying to get a sense of which FR will step in right away and which teams are going to have to make them play the waiting game. this helps.

edit scout has something similar to this..tried copying and pasting and it was a disaster lol

-------------------

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 12:11 PM

58. "Most of that we won't know til December."
In response to Reply # 57
Thu Aug-01-13 12:13 PM by Frank Longo

Obviously the big names will be there right away, and then those on teams that graduated a bunch or have positional gaps. Others we'll have to see pre-conf.

I think outside of the big four: Selden/Embiid, the Harrison Twins, Hollis-Jefferson, Walker/Hill, Bird, and Vonleh will probably get the most national shine. Not exactly a bold guess, mind you.

cgonz00cc
35273 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 09:05 AM

54. "its amazing to me that a guy like Irvin is gonna have to wait at M"

a total 180 from 6 years ago

the starting lineup is gonna look like

walton - top 100
stauskas - top 100
Levert - sleeper of all sleepers
GR3 - top 25
mcgary - top 10

thats just insane to me

cgonz00cc
35273 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 09:07 AM

55. "Derrick Walton should be on this list, maybe even ahead of irvin"

if opportunity is a big factor anyways

he's gonna be the starting pg from day 1

Beezo
Charter member
27561 posts
Thu Aug-01-13 07:40 AM

52. "CJ Fair time up Syracuse. Big year coming up"
In response to Reply # 0

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 04:29 PM

59. "July's top performers on the camp circuit"
In response to Reply # 0

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/5315/the-best-performers-of-july

In basketball recruiting, the July recruiting period is a chance for college coaches to zero in on their top targets. And for us here at RecruitingNation, it is likewise a chance to attend July’s biggest events and watch the nation’s top players.

To wrap up the hottest evaluation time of the year, let’s hand out some superlatives to the biggest standouts from the entire month of July.

Biggest difference-maker: Jahlil Okafor
When you play with and against older, more experienced competition and win a gold medal while being named to the all-tournament team, you make a massive difference. Okafor represented USA Basketball at the U19 World Championships in Prague at the beginning of the month and was one of only two high school prospects on the team (Justise Winslow was the other). Okafor impacts every game because you have to have a plan and then a back-up plan to stop him or at least contain him. He operates in the low post better than anyone in the 2014 class as he works for deep position and knows how to move his feet to gain an advantage. He can score with a jump hook or drop step, and he can and will also throw it back out of the post and reestablish himself for better position. If he’s on your team, the offense should go through him as much as possible.

Hottest prospect: Myles Turner
When you cut your list down to 26 schools, you are clearly one of the most wanted recruits in the country. And that's exactly what Turner did on July 3. The last player to emerge from outside the ESPN 100 to top-10 status this quickly was Anthony Davis. For Turner, his skills extend from his elite shot-blocking abilities to his soft 3-point shooting and everything in between. Add his catch-and-turn jumper off glass in the post and his ability to pass out of the post with vision, and it’s no wonder he’s the hottest prospect in the country right now.

Best true point guard: Tyus Jones
When you are a true point guard, you always do what the coach wants and give the team what it needs whenever it needs it. Jones can push the break but can also set up or settle down the offense. He makes the game simple for others first and looks to score second, which is the hallmark of a pure point guard. Jones is special because he has the belief to lead his team in the most difficult possessions during a heated game in crunch time.

Best rebounder: Cliff Alexander
He edges out Angel Delgado for this award. There are guys who rebound and then there are guys who go get rebounds. That’s where Alexander separates himself. When the ball hits the rim, he is already in pursuit and taking it off the rim with length and power. Alexander anticipates as the shot is being released, and his long arms, explosiveness and determination are constant in going after rebounds.

Best winner: Joel Berry
Too many players just show up and play, some compete to win and a select few play to win every single time out. This is where Berry distinguishes himself as a leader and a winner. The North Carolina-bound point guard directed his Each 1 Teach 1 travel team to a 21-game winning streak this summer, a championship at the prestigious Nike Peach Jam and a spot in the finals of the AAU Super Showcase. His winning approach and attitude is what you hope for in a player and what you can always expect with him.

Mr. Dependable: Bonzie Colson Jr.
Colson is an undersized power forward, but he produces on a consistent basis with his scoring and rebounding. He understands how to use his body to create angles in the low post to put a defender in jeopardy, but perhaps most importantly he plays with a motor and a big heart. He knocks down face-up jump shots at the elbows, and inside he utilizes his 6-foot-11 wingspan to help him perform against taller and stronger players. Simply put, you can depend on him to score and rebound in any contest. Notre Dame and Butler are just a couple of the schools after him.

Best rankings buster: Robert Johnson
I first evaluated him in April and came away impressed with his skills and poise in the backcourt. His play has been strong all spring and summer as he has shown a high-level ability to score by nailing jumpers both on the break and in the half court. He also scores well off the drive, and his playmaking abilities are evident as he can initiate the offensive and create a scoring opportunity for himself or others. In our next updated player rankings he will be knocking someone out of the ESPN 100. His list of schools includes North Carolina, Virginia, Miami, Florida State, Pittsburgh, Indiana and Georgetown.

Best versatility: Justise Winslow
Winslow brings so much to the floor with his scoring, defense, ball-handling and passing. He has a high basketball IQ and is comfortable to play almost any position on the floor. Winslow has explosive athleticism and can impact the outcome of a game without scoring, but when he is needed to score his jumper is solid to the elbows. He was also a big part of USA Basketball’s gold-medal team at the U19 World Championships in Prague. Duke, Florida, Kentucky, Kansas, Texas A&M, Arizona, UCLA and Stanford are his finalists.

Emerging prospect, Part I: Reid Travis
He quietly dominated games for Howard Pulley all July, and at the Nike Global Challenge he led the event in scoring at 22 points per game. What makes him special is that he is a hard-working player. A regular double-figure rebounder, he goes and gets the ball off the glass and does so with willingness and desire. As a prototypical power forward, he scores best in the paint and from the free-throw line. He is solid and smooth from the elbows and capable from the 3-point arc, which shows he can elevate his game while still dominating inside. He is still looking to finalize his college list but likes Gonzaga, Minnesota, Michigan State, Iowa State, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Stanford and UCLA, while Duke is now calling.

Emerging prospect, Part II: Kelly Oubre
His versatility and athletic ability make him an extremely valuable player. He comes ready to play and tries to dominate opponents with his penetration, rebounding and selective 3-point shooting. When the game slows down he is a difficult matchup because of his versatility to score, handle and rebound, but where he truly impacts a game is with his finishing ability in transition. Upside was a word used all summer long to describe Oubre. He cut his list to UConn, Florida, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, Georgetown, Oregon and UNLV. Oubre could also easily win the best hair award!

Emerging prospect, Part III: Romelo Trimble
Trimble, who has committed to Maryland, has been on a tear this summer with his scoring. He uses his strong body to get to any spot on the floor he wants with his dribble drive. He is usually looking to score as he probes the defense, but he can easily make the assist and is transitioning to playing the point, which he does for his high school team at Bishop O'Connell (Va.).

Emerging prospect, Part IV: Devin Robinson
A long athletic shooter who oozes with potential, Robinson makes shooting 3s look easy. He is fluid with his movement and is a finesse player with skill who looks to toe the 3-point line and make deep shots. On defense, his length allows him to bother shots. Johnson’s potential is quickly turning into production and he made the all-star team at the Reebok Breakout Classic. Notre Dame, Georgetown, UConn, Louisville, Indiana, Virginia Tech and many more are involved in his recruitment.

Best shooter: James Blackmon Jr.
His shot preparation and shot mechanics are textbook, so when Blackmon goes into his jumper everything is in place -- including his confidence. The Indiana recruit’s unlimited range, accuracy and consistency set him apart from his peers. Blackmon does not shy from taking any open shots, and he can also make 3s against a hard closeout or with a hand in his face, which makes him even more of a threat. What's impressive besides his long-distance shooting is that he also made midrange catch-and-shoot jumpers and rhythm jumpers. He is a dynamic scoring weapon, and his shooting ability opens the floor for drives and post play for his teammates.

Best court vision: Chris Chiozza
As soon as the game begins, you can see Chiozza’s passing instincts. The Florida-bound point guard enjoys the competition and plays with a steady pace, knowing when he needs to go faster or slow himself down. His peripheral vision is excellent and he can deliver an accurate pass in a split second. Chiozza can also score with his jumper or on selective drives, but he is one of the few players in the country who would be happy having more assists than points.

Best passer, Part I: Tyler Ulis
When it comes to passing and setting up his teammates, Ulis is the consummate distributor. This floor general has others in mind the entire game, and when there is a chance to hit an open teammate for a score, he does so with precision and willingness. His mindset is to organize and be in charge of the team, and his passing prowess and ability to facilitate the offense is textbook. Michigan State, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue and DePaul are pushing for his services.

Best passer, Part II: Emmanuel Mudiay
His size for the point guard position is tremendous and contributes to his vision because he can see the entire floor and make the appropriate pass on time and on target. Mudiay is an especially impressive passer in the transition game. For example, one play he can throw a perfect alley-oop and the next it could be a three-quarter-court bounce pass for a layup. In the half-court offense, his passing from his dribble penetration is outstanding as he can beat his man, read the help and hand out the dime.

Best power driver: Stanley Johnson
Johnson has played with an incredible motor and consistency all summer. When he has the ball in his hands, he looks to beat almost any defender off the bounce and does so with his combination of size, power and quickness. Once near the rim he easily finishes with a soft touch and strength as he can take a bump and stay on course. He is considering Arizona, Florida, Kentucky, Kansas, Oregon, UCLA and USC.

Best motor: Jae'Sean Tate
There were many who played hard and with good intensity throughout July, but Tate took it to another level. It doesn’t matter if the game is early in the morning or late at night, he is always ready and goes all out. The Ohio State recruit attacks the basket whenever the opportunity arises, rebounds with passion and is now making 3-point shots. He’s a guy who you always want to be on his team and never want to play against him.

Best middle game: Justin Jackson
The middle game is not worked on enough by today's players, which is big mistake. Jackson has great length, a soft tough, and the instincts to get inside the arc and stop in a pocket of space before the help defender can rotate over. It’s that ability that gives the North Carolina-bound small forward the best middle game. The midrange shot is developed through long practice and repetition, but when mastered it becomes a major scoring advantage that is hard to defend against. Even if challenged, his long frame and eyes on the rim contribute to his special gift for shooting. Jackson can also make all the hard shots, such as the one-foot, one-hand floater, which requires tremendous finesse and feel.

Best sixth man: Grayson Allen
A standout for his high school team who could star on any other summer program, Allen accepted a role coming off the bench for Each 1 Teach 1, which won the Nike Peach Jam and made the championship game of the AAU Super Showcase. The Duke recruit is a fierce competitor who plays with intensity and focus. His athletic ability is eye-popping and is on display when he attacks the rack and tries to throw it down on defenders. Allen is equally effective with his 3-point shot, which extends well beyond the arc.

Most improved prospect: Isaiah Whitehead
Whitehead’s natural talent is off the charts and he is a super competitive player, but at times he used to be prone to playing out of control. He would not always play within the team flow and his percentages and productivity dipped as a result. But this summer on the biggest stages, he made terrific strides and played with a purpose and a team approach. As part of the process, he is starting to find the balance of when to attack and how to read his defender when he is open. Syracuse, Arizona and UCLA are in the mix.

Best under-the-radar player: Riley LaChance
My colleague Reggie Rankin first wrote about LaChance last year. At that time he held a few offers from some mid-major schools, but when he went out on the circuit for Ray Allen Select this spring and summer, his game was strong, his recruitment increased and he earned a spot in the ESPN 100. LaChance is a deadly shooter from deep with a high IQ for the game and the unselfish qualities to find his teammates. He is a great decision-maker who values the possession and also competes. Utah, Creighton, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Davidson, Dayton, Oklahoma State and Xavier are some of the schools recruiting him.

-------------------

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Fri Aug-02-13 05:20 PM

60. "Re: Each 1 Teach 1's win streak..."
In response to Reply # 59

... if I read correctly somewhere, I'm pretty sure that streak began WHEN Grayson Allen joined the team.

I watched at least one of their games online though, and Berry definitely wasn't fucking around, so I'm not trying to solely discredit him.

You know, just partially discredit him. lol

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Sat Aug-03-13 05:32 PM

61. "dem 'Rines.."
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
Occupy Big Government..

Fannie, Freddie dole out big bonuses
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67292.html

guru0509
Charter member
45361 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 11:57 AM

62. "Some elite high school talent on ESPNU tonight...."
In response to Reply # 0

DaveTelep Dave Telep
19 of the 22 guys in the adidas Nations championship game are ESPN100 guys. 7 and 9pm tonite on @ESPNU

At 7 PM ET: Africa vs USA Red 2015/16

At 9 PM ET: USA 2014 Red vs USA 2014 Blue. The USA 14 Red squad has 2014 top big Jahlil Okafor. USA 2014 Blue features Ohio State commit D'Angelo Russell.

-------------------

Frank Longo
86673 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 12:58 PM

63. "I wish I was able to go watch in person."
In response to Reply # 62

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2214733 Previous topic | Next topic