Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2190271

Subject: "Lionel Hollins: "Somebody left their ringer on?" (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50753 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 10:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lionel Hollins: "Somebody left their ringer on?" (swipe)"

John Hollinger: "I think its the courtesy phone. I'm busy telling Austin how the angle of his jumpshot improves Zach's chance to rebound on the side of his dominant hand, which by the way is NOT his left hand. *flips through some pages on his iPad*....here, Zach snared 63% of his offensive rebounds with his RIGHT hand. Hey Lionel, the phone is still ringing, can you pick it up?"

Btw, who are they going to hire?

Sources: Lionel Hollins, Grizzlies likely parting ways after contract discussions collapse

After talks on a contract extension stalled over the weekend with what one source calls "major philosophical differences," coach Lionel Hollins is likely done as the coach of the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

The Grizzlies granted Hollins permission to speak to other teams about vacancies on Sunday, possibly clearing the way for him to discuss a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers. So far the Brooklyn Nets have shown no inclination that they want to meet with Hollins to discuss their coaching vacancy. Indiana Pacers assistant Brian Shaw remains high on the Nets' list.

After several days of talks among management, Hollins and his representation, the sides were unable to seriously consider terms of a potential contract because of hurdles that they couldn't clear with how new management wants the coach to fit into the franchise's belief systems, sources said. Lionel Hollins (USA Today Sports)

Hollins led the Grizzlies to the Western Conference finals with series victories over the Clippers and Oklahoma City Thunder. Hollins' deal with the team ends June 30.

Since the analytics-driven new ownership group of Robert Pera took over control of the franchise this season, there's been dramatic conflict between management and Hollins. Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien has given vice president of basketball operations John Hollinger significant latitude in constructing the roster and a philosophy.

Management wants a coach willing to buy into the analytic movement, using those mechanisms to make roster, lineup and system decisions. Hollins has resented what he considers undue interference by management, and has stood by his track record and success in maintaining productivity with a roster of diverse and difficult personalities.

During the Grizzlies' playoff run, tensions turned to a confrontation when Hollins exploded during a practice session upon finding Hollinger had walked onto the practice court and engaged forward Austin Daye during a shooting drill, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

With the team watching – and with a motive to show his players that he was completely in charge on the floor, sources said – Hollins loudly questioned Hollinger about what he was doing, and why he believed it was appropriate for a management official to intrude on what's considered sacred territory for a coach and team, sources said.

Hollins joined the Grizzlies during the 2008-09 season, and has led the franchise to four straight seasons with 40 or more wins. This year, the Grizzlies won 56 games before San Antonio swept them in the conference finals. Hollins, 59, has a 183-155 career record.

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5174/5551639559_9c70fd0e45_z.jpg
Jun 03rd 2013
Fuck Hollinger....
Jun 03rd 2013
i don't really think thats the case
Jun 03rd 2013
RE: i don't really think thats the case
Jun 03rd 2013
      that only what it looks like
Jun 03rd 2013
           RE: that only what it looks like
Jun 03rd 2013
                oh yeah totally
Jun 03rd 2013
                I think it's a bit much to blame it on Hollinger's ego
Jun 03rd 2013
                     Hollinger isn't the GM or owner tho
Jun 04th 2013
Basically
Jun 03rd 2013
lol nevermind.
Jun 03rd 2013
That was definitely uncalled for.
Jun 03rd 2013
The Grizz are pretty much
Jun 03rd 2013
Dave Joerger
Jun 03rd 2013
this is where the analytics shit is going get dicey
Jun 03rd 2013
ha
Jun 04th 2013
nets should holla at hollins
Jun 03rd 2013
RE: nets should holla at hollins
Jun 04th 2013
The Grizz are done for a while. this was a mistake.
Jun 03rd 2013
I kinda agree....but I'll wait to see who they hire before writing them ...
Jun 03rd 2013
Dave Joerger
Jun 03rd 2013
      IDK anything about that guy....in Mike we trust.
Jun 03rd 2013
           people think he may turn into a superstar coach
Jun 03rd 2013
it was more than Hollins
Jun 03rd 2013
      Its never ONLY the coach.
Jun 03rd 2013
           Chicago & Thibs is an argument
Jun 03rd 2013
           Bulls have 2 all-stars in their prime, one near all-star, WITHOUT Rose.
Jun 03rd 2013
                Luckily you'd never hear me say the Bulls have no talent
Jun 03rd 2013
                     I mean, you brought up Thibs. It was a bad example.
Jun 03rd 2013
                          Nah, it really wasn't tho
Jun 03rd 2013
           i agree
Jun 03rd 2013
Here's the interview, btw [Audio]
Jun 03rd 2013
dang I like Lionel Hollins...was hoping he'd stay.
Jun 03rd 2013
shouts out to Dave "Because it rhymes with Iavaroni" Joerger
Jun 03rd 2013
this is going to be a huge L for the analytics nerds
Jun 03rd 2013
nghs assuming they're gonna go ALL ANALYTICS
Jun 03rd 2013
      If that assistant gets hired, they are going analytics for sure
Jun 03rd 2013
           a coach is gonna coach
Jun 03rd 2013
Moneyball in basketball?
Jun 03rd 2013
Lionel Hollins did a good job this season..
Jun 03rd 2013
RE: upgrade
Jun 03rd 2013
Grizzlies will not offer Lionel Hollins a new deal
Jun 10th 2013

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5174/5551639559_9c70fd0e45_z.jpg"
In response to Reply # 0

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5174/5551639559_9c70fd0e45_z.jpg

I wish Lionel said something like, "If you don't get your monkey ass of my court."

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 10:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Fuck Hollinger...."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm riding with Team Hollins....The level of disrespect the Grizz organization have shown that man is just ridiculous....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 10:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i don't really think thats the case"
In response to Reply # 2

i like Hollins
i just think the FO is looking at 14-15 when its gonna be the Mike & Marc show
i dont think they believe Lionel can put together a team

they should have given him an extension
i ride with the org usually but this may be too much too fast
it just looks like they're trying to retool early with the least amount of damage to the team.
which i guess sounds counterintuitive when talking coach, but its probably only gonna get worse.

murph71
23113 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 12:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "RE: i don't really think thats the case"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Jun-03-13 12:56 PM by murph71

You are over thinking this...Hollins took this franchise to their highest heights...

This is all about Hollinger's ego matching his brain.....

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:02 PM

21. "that only what it looks like"
In response to Reply # 20
Mon Jun-03-13 01:15 PM by hardware

i'll give credit to Hollins developing Mike
and giving this team a strong defensive mindset, turning the team around
but i think the other players would have balled regardless of Hollins

i think the 'hollins dragged this team out of the fire' is a real overstatement, imo.
but you'd have had to have suffered through pre-Hollins Grizzles to see everything that had to coalesce into the 2010-current Grizzlies.
which is annoying because everybody that hasn't been down, looks at every move the team makes and think the other shoe is dropping.

but like i said, thats my opinion.
we'll see next season.

murph71
23113 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:57 PM

32. "RE: that only what it looks like"
In response to Reply # 21

It looks like that, because it is like that...lol

That was a joke of a franchise....Hubie Brown played a role with helping them rise....But Hollins made them much more consistent...He took them beyond any of their previous expectations...

Basically, this is some bullshit...

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 02:05 PM

33. "oh yeah totally"
In response to Reply # 32

>
>
>It looks like that, because it is like that...lol
>
>
>That was a joke of a franchise....Hubie Brown played a role
>with helping them rise....But Hollins made them much more
>consistent...He took them beyond any of their previous
>expectations...
>
>Basically, this is some bullshit...

Tek4mula
Member since Nov 11th 2008
1451 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:42 PM

38. "I think it's a bit much to blame it on Hollinger's ego"
In response to Reply # 32

The Grizzlies knew who he was and what he was about before they hired him. It's not Memphis brought him in on a whim and he decided to go rogue and turn the whole organization into a nerd factory. It appears that the Griz ownership and top front office people decided to shift to a more advanced analytic emphasis. I don't think Hollinger is trying to spread his ideas down to the coaching staff to feed his ego, he's doing it because that's what his bosses hired him to do.

Without getting into whether newer analytics or traditional thinking is better, I think it's safe to say that whichever way an organization chooses to lean they better have everybody on board. Hollins appears to be getting a raw deal but if you got the front office using a certain way of thinking to acquire players for a coach who has a different philosophy on how to play them, it's not gonna work.

Of course I don't know what's really going on in Memphis but if Hollins doesn't like the interference he's getting from above I'm sure their will be other teams willing to let him do things his way after the success he's had.

hardware
42304 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 09:37 AM

40. "Hollinger isn't the GM or owner tho"
In response to Reply # 38

at the end of the day Hollinger doesn't have the final say
besides, idk what he has to do with Hollins

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 10:54 AM

7. "Basically"
In response to Reply # 2

There is no way in hell he should've been treated like that. Analytics or not, he coached what management gave him and got to the WCF. You don't undermine a coach during practice, and then fuck him over a contract when he gets you that far.

That is bullshit

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59184 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:16 AM

10. "lol nevermind."
In response to Reply # 7
Mon Jun-03-13 11:26 AM by Cenario

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36969 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 10:59 AM

8. "That was definitely uncalled for."
In response to Reply # 2

https://digife.com

Numba_33
Charter member
19340 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 10:44 AM

4. "The Grizz are pretty much"
In response to Reply # 0

banking on getting a doe-eyed young buck as a head coach next year if Hollins leaves because of this rift. I can't imagine a veteran coach agreeing to go through that level of BS of getting second guessed.

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:12 AM

9. "Dave Joerger "
In response to Reply # 4

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 10:44 AM

5. "this is where the analytics shit is going get dicey"
In response to Reply # 0

it's one thing to build a team thru it as a GM
but having non basketball guys basically trying to dictate offensive/defensive philosophy to the point of actually instructing players during practice?
where they do that at
wonder which coaches, that could actually get a job elsewhere, will be willing to put up wit that
either way probably better for hollins to bounce, grizz may have hit their short term ceiling this yr and probably will try to dump zach soon to save money and start developing ppl like ed davis and a.daye

~~~~~~

hardware
42304 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 10:20 AM

41. "ha"
In response to Reply # 5

>try to dump zach soon to save money and start developing ppl
>like ed davis and a.daye
>

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2013/6/4/4393594/grading-the-2012-2013-memphis-grizzlies-austin-daye

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59184 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 10:49 AM

6. "nets should holla at hollins"
In response to Reply # 0

although he may not have a big enough name to earn dwill and em's "respect"

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Rolo_Tomasi
Member since Jan 29th 2004
1140 posts
Tue Jun-04-13 05:51 AM

39. "RE: nets should holla at hollins"
In response to Reply # 6

They'll probably interview him but most Nets fans like Brian Shaw the Indiana assistant.

Hollins seems a little abrasive and our players have just had that in PJ Carlesimo.

I think Hollins gets hired by Clippers or 76ers.

85SOUTH
Member since Mar 09th 2003
6625 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:22 AM

11. "The Grizz are done for a while. this was a mistake."
In response to Reply # 0

Hollins is the reason why this team went from worst to (almost) first. They should show a little more respect and patience to the guy who got them to their greatest era ever.

☻☻☻☻☻☻☻

not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4...

guru0509
Charter member
45374 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I kinda agree....but I'll wait to see who they hire before writing them ..."
In response to Reply # 11

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:30 AM

16. "Dave Joerger "
In response to Reply # 14

guru0509
Charter member
45374 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:36 AM

18. "IDK anything about that guy....in Mike we trust."
In response to Reply # 16

-------------------

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:37 AM

19. "people think he may turn into a superstar coach"
In response to Reply # 18

they hired him in 07
met him once
he was cool
dunno anything else about him

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:29 AM

15. "it was more than Hollins"
In response to Reply # 11

but yes he had a big part
like i said above, they just dont wanna commit 3 years to Lionel
because year after, the team is gonna have to rebuild
he's done great with this group
THIS GROUP
but i'm of the opinion that they wanna get somebody in there thats gonna fit better with the least amount of damage to the momentum

Lionel is FANTASTIC. let that be said.
and i really dont want him to move.
but i get it.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:04 PM

22. "Its never ONLY the coach. "
In response to Reply # 15

But there isn't a team whose success can be credited
to the coach more than Memphis and Hollins.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:06 PM

23. "Chicago & Thibs is an argument"
In response to Reply # 22

>
>But there isn't a team whose success can be credited
>to the coach more than Memphis and Hollins.
>
I agree Hollins did a great job tho.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:13 PM

25. "Bulls have 2 all-stars in their prime, one near all-star, WITHOUT Rose."
In response to Reply # 23

And I love Thibs.

But the "Bulls have no talent" meme is outright
obscene.

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:42 PM

30. "Luckily you'd never hear me say the Bulls have no talent"
In response to Reply # 25

I actually mention the Bulls talent more than most Bulls Fans here actually since they like to pretend Rose plays with bums in order to protect & promote their guy.

If having talent is the guage, the Grizz certainly have talent as well.

They had the same amount of All-Stars (one) this year but in the Grizz case it wasn't their DPOY Candidate Center and the Grizz's PG didn't miss the season.

I think it's fair to make the Thibs' argument.

Don't really care to do so beyond what I just laid out but that was the name that popped into my head regarding your Hollins' statement.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 02:10 PM

36. "I mean, you brought up Thibs. It was a bad example. "
In response to Reply # 30

Noah was hurt this year, but is an all-star otherwise

Even Boozer is really, really close to an all-star

Every player on Memphis, just about, is a cast-off,
throwaway or underachiever

Conley: was supposed to be in the point guard wars,
is not, was considered an underachiever

Zach: easy

Marc Gasol: The "other" Gasol and a throw in with the
trade

Allen: nice role player but expendable

Tayshaun: Lol

Bayless: A gunnery combo guard let go and cast aside

There's really no comparison

(C)Keith Murray, "

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 02:42 PM

37. "Nah, it really wasn't tho"
In response to Reply # 36

>
>Noah was hurt this year, but is an all-star otherwise
>
Noah was an All-Star this year, their only one.

He has certainly improved annually in that system.

>Even Boozer is really, really close to an all-star
>
>Every player on Memphis, just about, is a cast-off,
>throwaway or underachiever
>
>Conley: was supposed to be in the point guard wars,
>is not, was considered an underachiever
>
Conley was a lottery pick who has improved annually in his system, like Noah.

>Zach: easy
>
Easy double-double machine?

Equal or better than Booz?

Prolly.

>Marc Gasol: The "other" Gasol and a throw in with the
>trade
>
Actually he was the key part of that deal, Memphis had been following him since high school.

Kwame was in there to make the money work without any long term fit.

>Allen: nice role player but expendable
>

Like Jimmy Butler?

>Tayshaun: Lol
>
>Bayless: A gunnery combo guard let go and cast aside
>
>
>There's really no comparison
>
>
>----------------------------
>
>
>
>O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"
>
>
>
>
>"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."
>
>(C)Keith Murray, "

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:11 PM

24. "i agree"
In response to Reply # 22

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:25 AM

12. "Here's the interview, btw [Audio]"
In response to Reply # 0

http://t.co/m21dJlblWN
about 22ish min in

and LOL @ this ngh talking about being a season ticket holder for 12 years
12 YEARS
ngh survived 9 of 12 horrorshows yet he bout to jump off the ship now.

guru0509
Charter member
45374 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:26 AM

13. "dang I like Lionel Hollins...was hoping he'd stay."
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------

illegal
Charter member
78381 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 11:33 AM

17. "shouts out to Dave "Because it rhymes with Iavaroni" Joerger"
In response to Reply # 0

when I come around, they frown
then wanna dap me down
but when I leave?

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18397 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:18 PM

26. "this is going to be a huge L for the analytics nerds"
In response to Reply # 0

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:25 PM

27. "nghs assuming they're gonna go ALL ANALYTICS"
In response to Reply # 26

Castro
Charter member
50753 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:28 PM

28. "If that assistant gets hired, they are going analytics for sure"
In response to Reply # 27

------------------
One Hundred.

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 02:07 PM

34. "a coach is gonna coach"
In response to Reply # 28
Mon Jun-03-13 02:13 PM by hardware

i dont think any coach is gonna thump numbers like the bible
iont know what being an assistant coach has to do with that
Lionel came in as an assistant

i think in hiring him, it will be a much better relationship, imo
whether that helps or hurts on the court remains to be seen
the players seem to conduct themselves like grown ass men so i dont think it'll be a huge slide or anything

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:29 PM

29. "Moneyball in basketball?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hmmm....

www.anthologyfmn.com

Enter the Written World of Fahim Malik Nassar

The House of Caine (available)

Melancholoy Funk (available)

Tha Anthology (Words 2001-2003) Poetry inspired by OKP and Wash, DC
(available)

The Spook who sat by the Radio Poetry (av

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 01:45 PM

31. "Lionel Hollins did a good job this season.."
In response to Reply # 0

We'll see what happens but they could end up regretting this if they don't upgrade.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
Occupy Big Government..

Fannie, Freddie dole out big bonuses
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67292.html

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jun-03-13 02:08 PM

35. "RE: upgrade"
In response to Reply # 31

'as good or better fit' is a better term

themaddfapper
Member since Mar 09th 2010
7558 posts
Mon Jun-10-13 07:33 PM

42. "Grizzlies will not offer Lionel Hollins a new deal"
In response to Reply # 0

Proki. Don't be a fucking idiot. Hire Hollins and be done w/ it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9363245/sources-lionel-hollins-memphis-grizzlies-parting-ways

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2190271 Previous topic | Next topic