Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2178164

Subject: "o no post about Chinua Achebe Ortiz Crispus Attucks Farrakhan X?!?!?!?" Previous topic | Next topic
Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Fri May-10-13 12:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"o no post about Chinua Achebe Ortiz Crispus Attucks Farrakhan X?!?!?!?"
Fri May-10-13 12:56 AM by Orbit_Established

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9260558/david-ortiz-boston-red-sox-says-ped-suggestions-discriminatory

Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz said Wednesday that a Boston Globe column questioning whether his strong start to the season has been aided by performance-enhancing drugs is ethnically discriminatory.

"What is the point of criticizing someone who is working hard and trying to do it right?" Ortiz said in an interview in Spanish in the Red Sox clubhouse Wednesday, reacting to the column by Dan Shaughnessy of the Globe.

The thing that stung me was his statement about Dominicans. You mean that in Dominican Republic there are no players who try to do things right? We are all in the same boat. And the people here who have been caught, does that put everyone here in the same boat?
-- David Ortiz

The column casts Ortiz as suspect of cheating because he's hitting well at his age (37), has suffered an injury (Achilles tendon) consistent with steroid use and is from the Dominican Republic, where a number of players have tested positive for PEDs.

"Yesterday, the guy came to see me and asked some questions about steroids, and when you see the writing, it basically focuses on the fact that I'm Dominican and that many Dominicans have been caught using steroids. And what about the Americans?" Ortiz said.

"If you're from the Middle East, because there are some people there who put bombs and terrorize civilians, I have to see you like that, as well? If you are a white American, I have to call you a racist because white Americans were in the Ku Klux Klan?

"The thing that stung me was his statement about Dominicans. You mean that in Dominican Republic there are no players who try to do things right? We are all in the same boat. And the people here who have been caught, does that put everyone here in the same boat?"

Ortiz shared his thoughts in a recorded conversation for the "Grandes en los Deportes" ("Big in Sports") talk show on an ESPN Deportes Radio affiliate in the Dominican Republic.

Ryen Russillo weighs in on the latest accusations surrounding David Ortiz and says although Ortiz's performance has defied age it's unfortunate that suspicions always come up no matter what player is having a good season.

"I have spent many years in Boston and still do not know the right way to do things: Do it right or do it wrong," Ortiz said. "If you do it wrong, they'll finish you. If you're doing well, they'll finish you, too. There's no area where you feel safe."

Ortiz, who said he is a "big, firm believer" in Major League Baseball's drug-testing program, told ESPN's Pedro Gomez on Wednesday that he was tested for PEDs on Tuesday night. Ortiz also told the Globe he has been tested "probably" five times this season.

Ortiz told Gomez he never has entertained the idea of using PEDs.

"This is a stage in my career that it's never crossed my mind ... to get involved with anything related to PEDs," Ortiz said.

Ortiz has been linked to PEDs in the past.

The New York Times reported in 2009 that he tested positive for PEDs during the 2003 season. Ortiz later said a combination of then-legal supplements and vitamins likely caused a positive test.

"I've had a couple of bad Aprils and they have tried to bring me to the point of suicide, but the seasons have continued, and I got better and finished with good numbers, but they have continued talking about the bad Aprils. Now I'm having a good April and they at

Some may question David Ortiz's excellence and speculate about PEDs, but many just appreciate him for the superstar he is, writes Gordon Edes. Story

Ortiz had his 27-game hitting streak snapped in Wednesday's loss to the Twins, going 0-for-5, but still entered Thursday with a .381 average with four home runs and 17 RBIs in 16 games. The torrid start came after he missed the team's first 15 games with the Achilles injury, which also sidelined him for most of the second half of last year.

After the Red Sox' 15-8 loss to Minnesota on Wednesday, Ortiz wrote in his Twitter account: "The end of my hitting streak, but the season continues. Hopefully Dan Shaughnessy is a happy man now. No more .426, enjoy it."

" thinks that because I'm 37, I go to the plate without a bat," Ortiz said. "I work a lot. I spend many hours before the game to prepare. I take on early practices, I watch videos, exercise. He should talk about that, about the routine I have for every game."

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So is your new thing cheapening the fuck out of historical figures?
May 10th 2013
o so you starting a Paul Revere > Crispus agenda? You wanna do dis?
May 10th 2013
      Revere elevated the players around him though.
May 10th 2013
           Crispus' career was ended early by death
May 11th 2013
                durability issues.
May 12th 2013
Shaughnessy is a clown
May 10th 2013
Cut him some slack, he's looked like that his whole life
May 10th 2013
I laughed
May 10th 2013
lol
May 10th 2013
You know what I don't see called out? Shade at Jamaican sprinters
May 10th 2013
Good ol' Vitamin S
May 10th 2013
eh, last paragraph of this:
May 10th 2013
      The lack of transparency is definitely a problem here
May 10th 2013
           but the '03 tests sounded very faulty
May 10th 2013
                RE: but the '03 tests sounded very faulty
May 10th 2013
                Braun agrees - - flawless
May 11th 2013
when he's sucking.. he's too old ..when he does well..ROIDS!!!!
May 10th 2013
When Varitek was never good - - GRITTY. LEADER. BEARD.
May 11th 2013
      Beard trumps all, except Paul MacLean's stache
May 12th 2013
Achilles injuries tied to roids? *looks to LA*
May 11th 2013
Kobe's Surgeon, Dr. Helmut von Hirsch-Geweih strongly denies allegations
May 12th 2013
      I KNOW NUSSSSSS-SING
May 13th 2013
           Souveniiirrrrrrs, nooooovelties, paaaarty trrricks
May 13th 2013
           RE: I KNOW NUSSSSSS-SING
May 13th 2013

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri May-10-13 01:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "So is your new thing cheapening the fuck out of historical figures?"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Fri May-10-13 12:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "o so you starting a Paul Revere > Crispus agenda? You wanna do dis? "
In response to Reply # 1
Fri May-10-13 12:10 PM by Orbit_Established

Crispus heroics was NATURAL and spontaneous

Didn't need no horse neither

Cmon Crispus better

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri May-10-13 04:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Revere elevated the players around him though."
In response to Reply # 6

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Sat May-11-13 09:55 AM

17. "Crispus' career was ended early by death"
In response to Reply # 10

Imagine the numbers he woulda put up if he ain't get shot

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun May-12-13 06:17 PM

20. "durability issues."
In response to Reply # 17

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Fri May-10-13 09:39 AM

2. "Shaughnessy is a clown"
In response to Reply # 0

he shouldn't even have to entertain this.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri May-10-13 09:47 AM

3. "Cut him some slack, he's looked like that his whole life"
In response to Reply # 2

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Fri May-10-13 10:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I laughed"
In response to Reply # 3

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

pretentious username
12493 posts
Fri May-10-13 01:04 PM

7. "lol"
In response to Reply # 3

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri May-10-13 04:12 PM

8. "You know what I don't see called out? Shade at Jamaican sprinters"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri May-10-13 04:12 PM by ConcreteCharlie

I remember during the 08 Olympics Rick Maese (now at the Washington Post, then at the Baltimore Sun) wrote a column kind of comparing Phelps and Bolt. Of course he was obligated to go for the hometown boy but at the end he basically implied that Bolt's medals were temporary. It was not spelled out but it was very clear nonetheless.

I know Rick vaguely (friend of a friend who came from the Sun) and sent him a note about it but he never responded. It didn't matter because then I started seeing similar things in other outlets from other writers.

Now, I'm not going to be naive and pretend there is not a strong culture of steroids in those areas and perhaps it's even slightly stronger than in the U.S. because of fewer regulations. I have certainly heard that from Dominican cats I knew who played down there. But what does that matter? We are talking about one guy and one act. It's not as if the U.S. is squeaky clean, at the top level our guys using steroids is practically the norm in both those sports.

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Fri May-10-13 10:39 AM

5. "Good ol' Vitamin S"
In response to Reply # 0

"Ortiz later said a combination of then-legal supplements and vitamins likely caused a positive test."

pretentious username
12493 posts
Fri May-10-13 04:16 PM

9. "eh, last paragraph of this:"
In response to Reply # 5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ortiz#Alleged_performance-enhancing_drug_positive_test_in_2003

"On the same day, the Major League Baseball Players Association issued a statement pointing out that because of several factors, any player appearing on the list compiled by the government in 2003 did not necessarily test positive for performance enhancing drugs. Among those factors were that the total number of players said to be on the list far exceeded the number of collected specimens that tested positive. In addition, there were questions raised regarding the lab that performed the testing and their interpretation of the positive tests. Also, the statement pointed out that certain legal supplements that were available over the counter at the time could possibly cause a positive test result."

Plus the players went into 2003 thinking "This is never going to be released and there won't be penalties." Maybe that was naive, but that was the agreement that the gov't made MLB break. I kinda feel bad for the players named in this case, even if they actually did it.

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Fri May-10-13 04:58 PM

12. "The lack of transparency is definitely a problem here"
In response to Reply # 9

Shaughnessy is a pompous hack and Ortiz's major points ring true. But I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on his own past usage. 99% of the people that test positive say some variation of the this and outside of JC Romero, none of them have really been vindicated in any significant capacity.

pretentious username
12493 posts
Fri May-10-13 05:11 PM

13. "but the '03 tests sounded very faulty"
In response to Reply # 12

whereas today they're probably near flawless and people just use that as an excuse because they don't like admitting things.

and Shaughnessy doesn't really bring up '03, he's just pointing to his current stats, his ethnicity, and his recent injury. Besides the fact that that's shoddy evidence, as Ortiz points out he had to deal with A LOT of shit for a couple bad Aprils/Mays, and now this for a good start? Boston media is ruthless.

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Fri May-10-13 05:30 PM

14. "RE: but the '03 tests sounded very faulty"
In response to Reply # 13

Definitely testing issues, but it's also a convenient excuse. I'm just not willing to give him any benefit of the doubt.

I believe that reason the number of players on the list exceeded the number of positively tested specimens was because any player who declined to take the test was put on the positive list. I remember Frank Thomas advocated that all of his White Sox teammates not take the test so the league would hit the required threshold and testing would be one step closer to being implement.

And yeah, CHB could have made a better specious argument without painting in broad bigoted strokes. I think he's one of the worst at what he does for someone with a platform of that magnitude. Gammons was calling him and the paper out on this right away.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66747 posts
Sat May-11-13 07:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "Braun agrees - - flawless"
In response to Reply # 13

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Fri May-10-13 04:33 PM

11. "when he's sucking.. he's too old ..when he does well..ROIDS!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

good ole media

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66747 posts
Sat May-11-13 07:19 AM

16. "When Varitek was never good - - GRITTY. LEADER. BEARD."
In response to Reply # 11

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun May-12-13 06:18 PM

21. "Beard trumps all, except Paul MacLean's stache "
In response to Reply # 16

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Sat May-11-13 06:49 PM

18. "Achilles injuries tied to roids? *looks to LA*"
In response to Reply # 0

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Sun May-12-13 12:09 AM

19. "Kobe's Surgeon, Dr. Helmut von Hirsch-Geweih strongly denies allegations"
In response to Reply # 18

LOL

------------------
One Hundred.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon May-13-13 02:44 AM

22. "I KNOW NUSSSSSS-SING"
In response to Reply # 19

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon May-13-13 05:26 AM

23. "Souveniiirrrrrrs, nooooovelties, paaaarty trrricks"
In response to Reply # 22

PEDs, Bionic Knees, Blood Doping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPB2g1y2VFk

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Mon May-13-13 06:47 AM

24. "RE: I KNOW NUSSSSSS-SING"
In response to Reply # 22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5J_kao6mwA

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2178164 Previous topic | Next topic