Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2162394

Subject: "How stamina and fatigue affects injuries..." Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sun Apr-14-13 08:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"How stamina and fatigue affects injuries..."

I've been hearing about this for the last few years, but I'm just now starting to understand how it can happen.

I never understood how playing too many minutes in Basketball or any sport led to injuries, except cases when they already had an issue (ankle already sprained, etc.)

With the Kobe situation, 95% of folks say he got hurt because he was playing too many minutes, while 5% say it was a complete freak accident that could have happened at any time.

I'm not educated on this side of Sports...so...how is it that playing too much can cause injuries? I get how playing too hard can, for sure. But is it because the body is tired and operates different?

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
fatigue exposes underlying issues
Apr 14th 2013
that shyt can happen to literally anybody young or old
Apr 14th 2013
it can happen at any time
Apr 14th 2013
Non contact injuries are almost always overuse
Apr 14th 2013
have you seen those pictures of RGIII?
Apr 15th 2013
Just awful... I wonder if the Skins training staff tried to address it
Apr 15th 2013
Overuse is absolutely true when it comes to tendons
Apr 15th 2013
rehab has alot to do with heart
Apr 15th 2013
your muscles protect
Apr 15th 2013
yeah there's really no way of saying with this kobe injury,
Apr 15th 2013

3xKrazy
Charter member
21581 posts
Sun Apr-14-13 09:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "fatigue exposes underlying issues"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Apr-14-13 09:42 PM by 3xKrazy

when you move like shit (or less than optimal), you'll move a lot shittier when fatigue sets in as your body strives to be more efficient. in addition to stamina/fatigue i'd add strength as another variable. if you're not strong enough to hold an ideal position then you move closer to injury threshold.

i think more injuries are preventable than many people realize. just my opinion though.

SeV
Charter member
50208 posts
Sun Apr-14-13 09:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "that shyt can happen to literally anybody young or old"
In response to Reply # 0

iv been in enough rec leagues to kno from experience

Achilles injuries are just funny like that

one of those shyts im truly scared of happening when im hooping

cause it can tear at just about anytime doing sutten as mundane as joggin down the court

but u cant definitively put it on fatigue and wear n tear

Dallas Heatvricks BACK 2 BACK CHAMPS!!

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Apr-14-13 10:01 PM

3. "it can happen at any time"
In response to Reply # 0

now when he got hurt in Atlanta that was like a warning, however in the game friday night against the warriors he had some serious crashes that it almost seemed certain something was going to go down.

the body taken that kind of beating and all of that movement isn't meant for that kind of punishment. now Kobe is physically fit and takes great care of himself, etc.. however that is a freakish accident and he turned one time too many.

i do feel he played too much and needed to pace himself. i do feel they ran him into the ground.

you gotta balance out minutes.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Sun Apr-14-13 11:52 PM

4. "Non contact injuries are almost always overuse"
In response to Reply # 0

or the person has muscle or posture imbalances/weaknesses that at some point are just going to break down. Kobe appears to be more along the lines of overuse/being old/lack of recovery. A person having bad movement patterns(Nadal in tennis, Strasberg in baseball, and tons of other pitchers) also make injury much more likely.

3xKrazy
Charter member
21581 posts
Mon Apr-15-13 09:34 AM

6. "have you seen those pictures of RGIII?"
In response to Reply # 4

> A person having bad movement patterns(Nadal in
>tennis, Strasberg in baseball, and tons of other pitchers)
>also make injury much more likely.

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Mon Apr-15-13 11:48 AM

9. "Just awful... I wonder if the Skins training staff tried to address it"
In response to Reply # 6

Gifted athletes are often able to compensate for some bad mechanics.... but your knees shouldn't touch on a broad jump when you've got your feet hip-width apart!

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Mon Apr-15-13 02:07 PM

10. "Overuse is absolutely true when it comes to tendons "
In response to Reply # 4

If you simply look at the most common injury among athletes w/ high mileages in a non-contact sport such as Track & Field.....99% of the time it's some type of tendon related injury (i.e. hamstrings). It's as if when they hit 30, they all of a sudden start pulling out of races w/ a strained hamstring. The tendons just basically wear out like a break pad but our body doesn't repair it as efficiently as we age.

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Mon Apr-15-13 12:54 AM

5. "rehab has alot to do with heart"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...

tariqhu
Charter member
17879 posts
Mon Apr-15-13 10:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "your muscles protect"
In response to Reply # 0

those ligaments/tendons. when the muscles get tired, they can't protect as much. it also affects your form, which can lead to injuries too.

think about a simple bench press. after you reach a certain point, you can barely lift the bar and your technique gets all fugged up and anything can happen.

with that said, you can't say it was only fatigue. shit happens. had this occurred in game 2 of the season, his minutes wouldn't be in question.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59167 posts
Mon Apr-15-13 11:18 AM

8. "yeah there's really no way of saying with this kobe injury,"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon Apr-15-13 11:19 AM by Cenario

unless he had tendonitis or was playing through a specific ankle condition.

Funny thing is that ruptured achilles injuries usually happen in the beginning of the season or training camp cause it tends to happen when theres a sudden increase in activity that the tendon was not prepared for. Other than that, is when there is tendonitis or the tendon just snaps on some freak tip.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2162394 Previous topic | Next topic