Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2142709

Subject: "kobe post from reddit" Previous topic | Next topic
falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 06:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"kobe post from reddit"

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/19o38z/hi_rnba_my_name_is_robert_and_im_an_athletic/

I've been a professional athletic trainer for about 16 years and have been able to work with a range of athletes from the high school to professional level. Right now I run in a clinic in Cincinnati and have most recently been training with some players on the Bengals.

I activated my reddit account just a moment ago and because I've been seeing the videos of Kobe's most recent dunks and the comments you guys have had to share I decided I might as well chime in what I know about the man. And let me just state by saying that this story doesn't touch on anything we don't know about Kobe but rather that he simply is not human when he is working on his craft.

I was invited to Las Vegas this past Summer to help Team USA with their conditioning before they head off to London, and as we know they would eventually bring home the Gold (USA). I've had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past but this would be my first interaction with Kobe. We first met three days before the first scrimmage, on the day of the first practice, early July. It was a brief conversation where we talked about conditioning, where he would like to be by the end of the Summer, and we talked a little bit about the hustle of the Select Team. Then he got my number and I let him know that if he ever wanted some extra training he could hit me up any time.

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I was just watched "Casablanca" for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.

"Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I'm not disturbing anything right?"

"Uhh no, what's up Kob?"

"Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that's all."

I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.

"Yeah sure, I'll see you in the facility in a bit."

It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn't even 5AM.

We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.

I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went -- I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, "Good work this morning."

"Huh?"

"Like, the conditioning. Good work."

"Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it."

"So when did you finish?"

"Finish what?"

"Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?"

"Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now."

My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there's no surprise to why he's been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he's said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It's no surprise to me now that he's dunking on players ten years younger than him and it wasn't a surprise to me earlier this year when he led the league in scoring.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share you my Kobe Bryant story. If anyone has any questions I can clarify. Sorry if the story was at all hard to follow as this is my first time on reddit.

Rob.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
!!!! Yep. That's why he's stiiiill a beast
Mar 06th 2013
It's kind if confusing though
Mar 06th 2013
GOAT WORK ETHIC
Mar 06th 2013
also, underage white girl butthole.
Mar 06th 2013
He's a basketball sociopath, for better and for worse
Mar 06th 2013
RE: kobe post from reddit
Mar 06th 2013
GTFUCKO
Mar 06th 2013
RE: GTFUCKO
Mar 06th 2013
      Yeah, people talk FG% more than rings, for sure.
Mar 06th 2013
           RE: Yeah, people talk FG% more than rings, for sure.
Mar 06th 2013
interesting theory
Mar 06th 2013
well duh. he's the offspring of a dusty nigga from W. Philly and a trann...
Mar 06th 2013
AI lost tho.
Mar 06th 2013
Mini version of thank god it snowed right here
Mar 07th 2013
great story
Mar 06th 2013
Who's your team? Honestly?
Mar 06th 2013
      What? Im a Celtics fan...niggas know. What does that have to do with
Mar 06th 2013
           "Niggas know"
Mar 06th 2013
           oops I used a bigoted term and smutsboy edited it.
Mar 06th 2013
                Oh my.
Mar 07th 2013
                lol so basically you talked out of your ass, were shown to be wrong
Mar 07th 2013
                     ^^^ whooooooosh ^^^
Mar 07th 2013
                Lmao. Ok playstation fan.
Mar 07th 2013
                     huh?
Mar 07th 2013
                          Didn't you become a C's fan because of NBA Live?
Mar 07th 2013
                               Yes, am I supposed to be ashamed or something?
Mar 07th 2013
                                    I mean, you said..."huh?" so I explained it. Sorry, god lounge.
Mar 07th 2013
                                         reply #31 n/m.
Mar 07th 2013
                                              That...explains nothing. Sorry, god lounge.
Mar 07th 2013
                                                   It explains why you took exception to me saying 'great story' like a bit...
Mar 07th 2013
                                                        okay god lounge.
Mar 07th 2013
                                                             Thats so white of you
Mar 07th 2013
                                                                  It IS Thursday.
Mar 07th 2013
                                                                       Lol it is Thursday... Well played
Mar 07th 2013
           Oh. Well....the Cs suck and Kobe buried em. Cry.
Mar 07th 2013
                I wasn't sarcastic in saying great story...
Mar 07th 2013
                wait...The Cs suck? you gotta be fucking kidding me
Mar 07th 2013
as a proud Laker hater, I gotta respect this
Mar 06th 2013
GOAT WORK ETHIC EVEN RUBS OFF ON HATERS! lol
Mar 06th 2013
>Thanks, Kobe.
Mar 06th 2013
awesome story,
Mar 07th 2013
That is Dope. Not surprised.
Mar 07th 2013
*finishes 28 hour long AMA, answers everything non-rape related*
Mar 07th 2013
Just like Woody Harrelson.
Mar 07th 2013
German Engineering
Mar 07th 2013

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 06:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "!!!! Yep. That's why he's stiiiill a beast "
In response to Reply # 0

Even in 06-07, I figured this would be the tail end of his career. Maybe a sympathy all star start, but seen as a 15-25th ranked player. Still starting for the Lakers, but averaging 18-20 or so. Had no idea he'd still be going THIS hard.

And I am in shock that he can realistically pass up Kareem...I mean, it's not THAAAT likely, but not completely unrealistic as it sounded in 06-08.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 07:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "It's kind if confusing though "
In response to Reply # 1

Because you would think someone who never seems to rest wouldnt last so long.

But I think the key is Kobe never goes super hard, instead he has a steady regimen that keeps him in shape the entire year. He never has to work to "play his way into shape" because he's always in shape. Reminds me of boxing. The fighters who blow up in weight between fights then fight the burn it off always age overnight (Vargas, Hatton). The gym rats that are always in shape even between fights (Hopkins, Floyd) age like wine

LBs Finest
Member since Sep 28th 2005
19846 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 06:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "GOAT WORK ETHIC"
In response to Reply # 0

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 07:00 PM

3. "also, underage white girl butthole."
In response to Reply # 0

---

But hell, what do I know?

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 07:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "He's a basketball sociopath, for better and for worse "
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

all stah
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
23470 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 08:23 PM

6. "RE: kobe post from reddit"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-06-13 08:25 PM by all stah

this is why he will never shoot 50 percent in a season or for his career

over-training ...there is too much over-kill with everything that he does as a player

His shots fade as the game goes on.....he has endurance, but lacks efficiency because of it ...because his training isn't efficient.

It's quite sad....

jordan is fat as hell right now compared to his training days, but his game is still butter because of his efficiency as an athlete.

this is why kobe should have went to college

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 08:32 PM

7. "GTFUCKO"
In response to Reply # 6

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

all stah
23470 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 08:58 PM

8. "RE: GTFUCKO"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Mar-06-13 09:03 PM by all stah

What is training if the player never works on being efficient and having better shot selection, and not just working on endurance?

Putting up shots does not equal putting up good shots.

what good is a career if it stands the test of time but is never efficient?

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 09:48 PM

13. "Yeah, people talk FG% more than rings, for sure. "
In response to Reply # 8

>what good is a career if it stands the test of time but is
>never efficient?

17x NBA Champions

all stah
23470 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 10:02 PM

15. "RE: Yeah, people talk FG% more than rings, for sure. "
In response to Reply # 13
Wed Mar-06-13 10:02 PM by all stah

well, when it comes to comparing him to other greats, it comes down to individual abilities.

If wade or lebron were to wake up to see their fg percentage at 47%, they would jump out the window.

17 years of terrible shot selections

LBs Finest
Member since Sep 28th 2005
19846 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 11:26 PM

20. "interesting theory"
In response to Reply # 6

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 08:59 PM

9. "well duh. he's the offspring of a dusty nigga from W. Philly and a trann..."
In response to Reply # 0

the result was a peanut headed rat jawed wolverine
this is a cool story though, like him shooting in the gym after taking a 20 pt L
maybe if he got the proper rest in London he could have performed as well as Bron and Melo did there
last night i was wondering how smart it is for him to even push himself so hard at this point
playing thru the injuries at this point will yield diminishing returns
will playing with a fucked up elbow trying to get a 8th seed be worth it when he can't extend his right arm in 15 yrs?
for what? a 1st round L?
shit that's if they even make it
right now the lakers are losing to the fucking hornets by 18......
smh

~~~~~~

Ryan M
43737 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 09:07 PM

10. "AI lost tho."
In response to Reply # 9

17x NBA Champions

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 01:36 AM

23. "Mini version of thank god it snowed right here"
In response to Reply # 9

the_time_is_when_god...lounge
Member since Nov 19th 2012
5495 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 09:42 PM

11. "great story"
In response to Reply # 0

--------
Twitter: _TheloniousFunk
Instagram: thelonious_funk_

Ryan M
43737 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 09:43 PM

12. "Who's your team? Honestly?"
In response to Reply # 11

17x NBA Champions

5495 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 10:06 PM

16. "What? Im a Celtics fan...niggas know. What does that have to do with"
In response to Reply # 12

anything?

--------

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 10:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. ""Niggas know""
In response to Reply # 16

"Member since Nov 19th 2012"

lulz

5495 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 10:30 PM

18. "oops I used a bigoted term and smutsboy edited it."
In response to Reply # 17
Thu Mar-07-13 09:45 AM by smutsboy

-Smuts

Revised post:

Here you go, friend!...

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=11675438&mesg_id=11675438&listing_type=search

--------

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 12:33 AM

22. "Oh my."
In response to Reply # 18

Can you forgive me? I'm eternally apologetic for missing a 20 post thread in the fastest moving board on this site that like 4 people responded in. I can't believe I was so insensitive, could you ever forgive me?

And I would also like to take this time to apologize on oksports' behalf. We should have been more diligent in monitoring General Discussion in order to discern exactly where one of our beloved has gone. Clearly we should have been more compassionate with your struggle in maintaining a persona that you no longer believe in.

We salute you, the_time_is_when_god...lounge.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35246 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 09:08 AM

27. "lol so basically you talked out of your ass, were shown to be wrong"
In response to Reply # 22

and its his L somehow?

sheesh

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 09:49 AM

28. "^^^ whooooooosh ^^^"
In response to Reply # 27

Ryan M
43737 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 02:55 AM

26. "Lmao. Ok playstation fan. "
In response to Reply # 18

17x NBA Champions

5495 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 01:16 PM

32. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 26

--------

Ryan M
43737 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 01:20 PM

34. "Didn't you become a C's fan because of NBA Live?"
In response to Reply # 32

Oh and hey, sorry about that whole not remembering you changed your name thing. But good move. realityrap is way worse than god lounge or whatever.

17x NBA Champions

5495 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 01:23 PM

35. "Yes, am I supposed to be ashamed or something? "
In response to Reply # 34

--------

Ryan M
43737 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 02:03 PM

37. "I mean, you said..."huh?" so I explained it. Sorry, god lounge."
In response to Reply # 35

17x NBA Champions

5495 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 02:05 PM

38. "reply #31 n/m."
In response to Reply # 37

--------

Ryan M
43737 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 02:09 PM

39. "That...explains nothing. Sorry, god lounge. "
In response to Reply # 38

17x NBA Champions

5495 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 02:11 PM

41. "It explains why you took exception to me saying 'great story' like a bit..."
In response to Reply # 39

--------

Ryan M
43737 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 02:38 PM

42. "okay god lounge."
In response to Reply # 41

17x NBA Champions

5495 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 02:43 PM

43. "Thats so white of you"
In response to Reply # 42

--------

Ryan M
43737 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 03:44 PM

44. "It IS Thursday."
In response to Reply # 43

Also I dont get it.

17x NBA Champions

5495 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 03:50 PM

45. "Lol it is Thursday... Well played "
In response to Reply # 44

--------

Ryan M
43737 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 02:15 AM

25. "Oh. Well....the Cs suck and Kobe buried em. Cry. "
In response to Reply # 16

17x NBA Champions

5495 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 01:15 PM

31. "I wasn't sarcastic in saying great story..."
In response to Reply # 25

Laker fans sure have been insecure since Lebron came through and crushed the buildings

--------

5495 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 01:17 PM

33. "wait...The Cs suck? you gotta be fucking kidding me"
In response to Reply # 25

--------

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 09:51 PM

14. "as a proud Laker hater, I gotta respect this "
In response to Reply # 0

anyone who's put the hard work in to excel at their profession should too

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 10:53 PM

19. "GOAT WORK ETHIC EVEN RUBS OFF ON HATERS! lol"
In response to Reply # 0

CliffDogg
Member since Dec 19th 2004
18078 posts
Wed Mar-06-13 11:29 PM

21. ">Thanks, Kobe."
In response to Reply # 0

>Thanks, Kobe.

----

THFC
F1
MotoGP

Member since Mar 29th 2005
3019 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 01:49 AM

24. "awesome story,"
In response to Reply # 0

from a diehard, agenda-less philly fan -- mahalo

we are simply the Best

Radio Rahim
Member since Jul 21st 2008
20320 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 10:18 AM

29. "That is Dope. Not surprised. "
In response to Reply # 0

Binlahab droppin science on the youth

"youre frustrated now? in undergrad? reading books all day?,
surrounded by more nubile unattached pussy than you will be in your life?"

Kobe
Member since Jan 30th 2004
66 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 10:27 AM

30. "*finishes 28 hour long AMA, answers everything non-rape related*"
In response to Reply # 0

Ryan M
43737 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 02:09 PM

40. "Just like Woody Harrelson. "
In response to Reply # 30

17x NBA Champions

AnonymousCoward
Member since Sep 17th 2002
15394 posts
Thu Mar-07-13 01:40 PM

36. "German Engineering"
In response to Reply # 0

East, that is

http://clydefrazierapproves.com/
http://stylepoints.tumblr.com/

"Like 4 out of 5 things you say on OKP offend me." -FireBrand

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2142709 Previous topic | Next topic