Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2132110

Subject: "Do NBA players expense out their flights to the All-Star game?" Previous topic | Next topic
MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 12:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Do NBA players expense out their flights to the All-Star game?"

I don't know why this popped up in my head this morning, but I'm sure the guys actually playing in the All-Star game get their flights covered by the league. But it's not like the league just sends a plane ticket to Lebron or Kevin Durant, I'm sure they have to book their own flights since they're all coming from different places and have different schedules. Does Chris Paul (or his agent) have to log onto some NBA HR site after a game and get that arranged?

And what about all those dudes who are just at the game to hang out? It seems like half the league is out there hanging at All-Star weekend. Obviously these guys can afford it, but is it like a company holiday party? If you're DJ Augustin throwing an alley oop to Gerald Green during the dunk contest, do you get covered for being there?

Related: how do these dudes actually get paid? I know Jalen Rose touched upon it on a podcast, but does Kobe really just get paid in two big direct deposits for $15 million (minus taxes) or whatever? And if you're a scrub on a 10 day contract or something, does your GM just come up to you after a game with a check for 20 grand or something?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i'd assume that if you are participating in some event, your
Feb 15th 2013
idk about payment, but they gotta pay taxes in each state
Feb 15th 2013
Yup I know about the taxes thing
Feb 15th 2013
      RE: Yup I know about the taxes thing
Feb 15th 2013
      if you don't have a label, i assume the burden falls to you
Feb 15th 2013
           i've heard stories of dudes on a label not putting aside the
Feb 15th 2013
                Yup that definitely happens
Feb 15th 2013
      RE: Yup I know about the taxes thing
Feb 15th 2013
           Its where you earn the money.
Feb 15th 2013
           RE: Its where you earn the money.
Feb 15th 2013
                It does seem like some ole bs
Feb 15th 2013
                good points n/m
Feb 15th 2013
           Thanks for the link, this is interesting (n/m)
Feb 15th 2013
My Boy Used To Work For the NBA Retired Players
Feb 15th 2013
wtf.....maybe before direct deposit ever existed
Feb 15th 2013
      RE: wtf.....maybe before direct deposit ever existed
Feb 15th 2013
           You know Delonte dont use DD
Feb 15th 2013
                Rickey Henderson definitely didn't
Feb 15th 2013
                RE: You know Delonte dont use DD
Feb 15th 2013
                     He does payday advances for his KFC trips
Feb 15th 2013

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 01:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i'd assume that if you are participating in some event, your"
In response to Reply # 0

expenses are covered...if you just there for the groupie leftovers..you on your own.

they get paid every two weeks through the course of the season. Probably from training camp - end of reg season.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 01:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "idk about payment, but they gotta pay taxes in each state"
In response to Reply # 0

that still blows my mind. Musicians that perform too.

MothershipConnection
7498 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 01:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Yup I know about the taxes thing"
In response to Reply # 2

I assume with athletes it's a bit less of a pain because they get paid a lot and can afford a good accountant, but I have friends who are touring musicians and that's their primary source of income and it's a totally bitch to do since they don't really get paid more than anyone else.

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 02:19 PM

4. "RE: Yup I know about the taxes thing"
In response to Reply # 3

>I assume with athletes it's a bit less of a pain because they
>get paid a lot and can afford a good accountant, but I have
>friends who are touring musicians and that's their primary
>source of income and it's a totally bitch to do since they
>don't really get paid more than anyone else.

Do you musician friends have their taxes withheld for them by their employers/contractors?

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 02:31 PM

5. "if you don't have a label, i assume the burden falls to you"
In response to Reply # 4

unless you can afford and accountant

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 03:27 PM

15. "i've heard stories of dudes on a label not putting aside the"
In response to Reply # 5

money for taxes and being screwed...unless they've changed it recently.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

MothershipConnection
7498 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 03:54 PM

18. "Yup that definitely happens"
In response to Reply # 15

Most touring type bands will have an LLC for tax and insurance purposes, and there are accountants out there that cater specifically to musicians and entertainers, but keep in mind you also have several streams of income (record sale royalties, touring revenue, merch, if you're a big star you probably have other things going on too), so it's definitely easy to lose track of if you're not on top of it. It's not like everything just goes to Atlantic or something and they just cut you a check every month and hold your taxes for you.

all stah
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
23470 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 02:31 PM

6. "RE: Yup I know about the taxes thing"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Feb-15-13 02:39 PM by all stah

It's a huge fucking pain, because of the paperwork that is involved and the amount of accountants that are needed to deal with it come every april of the year

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/12/sports/sp-jock-tax12

I still don't understand it myself. I worked for the NYSE at one point, and there were times where they had to fly me out to a client's site to help the client with connecting to NYSE's network. I would work in a particular city for most of the day, but I was not required to pay that particular city any amount of taxes, because the company I worked for was in new york and I lived in new york, so my pay came from NY.

For musicians,I can understand why they need to pay each city, because they get paid by clubs, promoters and companies that exist in the city that they perform in.

Athletes get paid by the teams they play for, so if rose plays for the chicago bulls and gets paid by the chicago bulls, why should he have to pay taxes to another city for working in that city for one particular day?

Cities are making a killing off of that

they call it a jock tax ...

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 02:36 PM

7. "Its where you earn the money."
In response to Reply # 6

He plays a game in Orlando, that is where he is earning the money, not chicago.

Not saying it make sense, but that is the reason.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

all stah
23470 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 02:55 PM

9. "RE: Its where you earn the money."
In response to Reply # 7

Only some cities do it though. Cities in Florida, and cities in a couple other states don't do it....

Also, there are a lot of athletes that are speaking out about it, because they feel they are being purposely targeted. Major CEOs or Chairmen are not required to pay taxes to cities that they earn in...

It's like once athletes' salaries started to rise In 1991, cities wanted to cash in. Based on the article, the tax didn't exist before that time....

Ceej
66746 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 02:57 PM

10. "It does seem like some ole bs"
In response to Reply # 9

fff

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 03:01 PM

11. "good points n/m"
In response to Reply # 9

dillinjah
Charter member
9029 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 03:20 PM

13. "Thanks for the link, this is interesting (n/m)"
In response to Reply # 6

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 02:45 PM

8. "My Boy Used To Work For the NBA Retired Players"
In response to Reply # 0

He said this time of year was the worst for him
They get their flights paid for by the league, and the league office makes sure they get their flights booked, regardless of circumstance. In the case of the all-star game, once the players are confirmed to go, then people that work for the league (assistants, etc) are contacted for travel arrangements. He had to do that for retired players and their families. So many retired players would be calling him last minute looking for tickets for parties and passes to games

As for how they are paid, from what I was told, they get a check every game from a team rep. that's put in their locker. They get paid per game, which makes it slightly easier to do the taxes (say, if you play Cleveland, you can look at the stub from the check and figure out how much taxes you're supposed to pay for OH).

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 03:16 PM

12. "wtf.....maybe before direct deposit ever existed"
In response to Reply # 8

>As for how they are paid, from what I was told, they get a
>check every game from a team rep. that's put in their locker.

What if the dude is out for a month and isn't w/ the team. Besides, I have heard something along the line of them getting paid bi-weekly and only during the season. That way they tack in bonuses if the team makes the playoffs.

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

all stah
23470 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 03:26 PM

14. "RE: wtf.....maybe before direct deposit ever existed"
In response to Reply # 12

I think he is referring to the stubs. Even if you have DD, the company still gives you a hard copy

Ceej
66746 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 03:35 PM

16. "You know Delonte dont use DD"
In response to Reply # 14

>I think he is referring to the stubs. Even if you have DD,
>the company still gives you a hard copy

MothershipConnection
7498 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 03:46 PM

17. "Rickey Henderson definitely didn't"
In response to Reply # 16

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2009/02/63418703/1

You have to love Rickey Henderson.

In an interview with Mike and Mike on ESPN radio, he shoots down a couple of preposterous stories circulating about him, but also steps up and confirms some outrageous ones.

Like yes, he did once fall asleep with an ice pack on, for an ankle injury, and missed three games with frostbite.

But the best one is that Henderson did indeed once receive a million-dollar check from the Oakland A's and, rather than cash it, framed it and hung it on his wall.

"When you're a kid, you want to be a millionaire," said Henderson, who apparently wasn't clear on the concept that the money needs to be in the bank to achieve millionaire status.

When the check didn't clear, the A's phoned, asked him to cash it, and suggested he display a photocopy instead. (Hat tip to Can't Stop the Bleeding)

all stah
23470 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 03:58 PM

19. "RE: You know Delonte dont use DD"
In response to Reply # 16

going to the currency exchange to cash his shit

lol

Ceej
66746 posts
Fri Feb-15-13 03:59 PM

20. "He does payday advances for his KFC trips"
In response to Reply # 19

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2132110 Previous topic | Next topic