Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2128974

Subject: "Gonzaga as a #1 seed?" Previous topic | Next topic
Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Feb-10-13 02:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Gonzaga as a #1 seed?"

College hoops heads, is this actually going to happen? Nobody can really hold the crown for too long and they keep winning. That loss to Illinois doesn't look as bad, and those wins over Oklahoma State and K-State now looks pretty good. It would obviously depend on their bracket, but could they actually make a run at the Final Four?

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
No reason they can't make a run, but I doubt a 1 seed
Feb 10th 2013
i don't see why not re: final four
Feb 10th 2013
Oh, they definitely can make a run. A 4 seed would be ideal.
Feb 10th 2013
A lot would have to go in their favor.
Feb 10th 2013

Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Sun Feb-10-13 02:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "No reason they can't make a run, but I doubt a 1 seed"
In response to Reply # 0

VCU made a final 4 run as an 11, Butler went to 2 straight titles, it's no longer a crazy thought to say a team like that can make a run to the final 4, just takes a few things breaking your way and getting hot at the right time.

I don't see a 1 seed though, I think the selection committee will still be too high on Indiana, Forida, Mighian, Duke, and Kansas as teams already ahead of Gonzaga and wouldn't be surprised to see Syracuse, Miami or Arizona if they can finish strong and win the conference tournaments.

I don't think they will want to put them as a 1 seed unless they really get forced into it

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26425 posts
Sun Feb-10-13 02:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "i don't see why not re: final four"
In response to Reply # 0

they've got vets (Harris), a legit 7'0 player, and some good guards. it's a well built team (that I haven't watched much).

that said, i don't think they've got the resume for a #1 spot. it's a strange year--there's a tier of 15-20 teams that have good resumes for a #2 slot, but not many #1 arguments. Zaga's no other potential signature wins left, their RPI will continue to fall as the WCC isn't that strong this year, and they needed to win @ Butler or beat Illinois to really cement their argument, considering the major conference winner will have a roughly equal regular season record (assuming top 15 teams win their conference) and an impressive tourney run.

Assume, for example, that Florida wins the SEC tourney--you gonna put Zaga over them? Indiana? Michigan? Cuse (uggh)? Zona? etc. there are too many other semi-legit #1 options out there

alladat said, it could happen. it's just not likely. more important to me is their kenpom rating is #10...so they're legit to me.

-----------
It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilarious.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sun Feb-10-13 09:54 PM

4. "Oh, they definitely can make a run. A 4 seed would be ideal."
In response to Reply # 2

Lose to St. Mary's but still win the WCC, face a 1 seed with a poor matchup? That's how Butler did it.

A run for a mid major 2 seed just is too tough IMO. They're likely facing upper echelon big conference teams at least twice, and maybe a talented underperformer at the 7/10 slot.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sun Feb-10-13 09:52 PM

3. "A lot would have to go in their favor."
In response to Reply # 0

First, I think they have to go in only losing two games... which means they can't lose at St. Mary's on Valentines Day. That's a must win.

Second, all the other two and three loss teams need to lose a couple more times. It's possible a number of four loss teams have a better resume than Gonzaga's two loss team.

Most of the top twenty in the BPI will face a few ranked teams in the last six to eight games, and they'll take part in tougher conference tournaments. If Duke can only lose a game more and get Ryan Kelly back, they're likely. If Indiana wins the Big Ten, they're a lock. If Miami wins out and wins the ACC Tourney, they're hard to pass up. If Cuse goes in with four losses and wins the conference tourney, they're a lock. UF's SOS is weak, but if they win out, they're in great shape.

I know I'm dropping "win out" or "only lose one more" like it's easy. But the fact is out of all of the BPI Top 20, Gonzaga has the second lowest SOS. Many teams in that ballpark, even if they have a worse loss, will have MORE big wins.

I'd say the Zags are likelier for a two if they win out. If they lose to St. Mary's, maybe a three or a four.

The top ranked mid-major team usually loses by or before the Sweet 16. The committee wants their 2 seed to make the Elite Eight.

The likely top four:
Duke/Miami
Indy/Mich
Cuse/L'Ville (I know folks are low on them but their BPI/SOS is high enough that if they can win the Big East Tourney and get another good win or two, they'll be right in there)

Fourth could be any of the above plus Michigan State, Florida, Arizona, or Kansas.

If all the aforementioned teams lose at least three games a pop (not impossible), then the Zags enter the convo.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2128974 Previous topic | Next topic