Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2127164

Subject: "what is "off ball scoring" (off-ball scorer)?" Previous topic | Next topic
Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 05:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"what is "off ball scoring" (off-ball scorer)?"

i am unfamiliar with this.

off ball defense? yes
off ball movement as an offensive player? yes

but how do you SCORE without the ball (or am I misunderstanding)?

{spun off from that superlatives post}

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: what is "off ball scoring" (off-ball scorer)?
Feb 06th 2013
so basically
Feb 06th 2013
      yep
Feb 06th 2013
      RE: so basically
Feb 06th 2013
Aside from spot up shooters
Feb 06th 2013
RE: Aside from spot up shooters
Feb 06th 2013
RE: Aside from spot up shooters
Feb 06th 2013
It's not that plays aren't run for them...
Feb 07th 2013
      RE:
Feb 07th 2013

all stah
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
23470 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 05:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: what is "off ball scoring" (off-ball scorer)?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-06-13 06:00 PM by all stah

A player who does not need the ball in his hands to score. That would be a catch and shoot player like ray allen or rip.

Reggie was like that as well. Players who move great without the ball, and are able to get themselves in scoring position.

Jordan was a hybrid. He could do it with the ball or without the ball.

Kobe is the opposite. He is a ball dominating player, where he needs the ball in his hands to score and to get his shot. Don't get more wrong, kobe has the ability to play off of the ball. He has great foot work, and he can loose his man at any time. However, his mental ground is to create his own shot with the ball, and to dominate his player in isolation. That mentality prevents him from being an efficient scorer, and limits the offense in the process.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 06:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "so basically"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Feb-06-13 06:10 PM by Selah

someone who doesn't necessarily have to set up their own shot?

the "catch and shoot" description...ok

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 06:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "yep"
In response to Reply # 2

>someone who doesn't necessarily have to set up their own
>shot?
>
>the "catch and shoot" description...ok

all stah
23470 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 06:14 PM

4. "RE: so basically"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Feb-06-13 06:22 PM by all stah

sorta ...but it is not limited to catch and shoot.

The pg can run the offense in the half court, find a player who rolls to the basket, but then the player has to dribble further in to score...so that wouldn't be a straight up catch and shoot player.

It's all about a player being able to move and get into scoring position without the ball, and that term only refers to perimeter players, because post players aren't dribblers, and they are not relied upon to run the offense or to penetrate..

in this day and age, most perimeter players can run the offense or bring the ball up the court, or to just keep the ball to work one on one.

Harden( and durant) is another great hybrid, who can work with or without the ball.

Lebron, to me, is more a ball dominating player, because one he is a point forward, and 2 he always has the ball....I've never really seen him work off of screens, or being constantly in motion

Wade works more off the ball, and he is usually set up by lebron or chalmers.

The Mac
Member since Feb 11th 2008
1493 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 06:44 PM

5. "Aside from spot up shooters"
In response to Reply # 0

This could include excellent cutters - for example guys like Shawn Marion and Matt Barnes are excellent at finding lanes, making quick cuts to the basket, and finishing near the rim. These guys find ways to score having 0 plays run for them...

Cause I'm doing better now, don't mean I never lost shit/ I was married to a state of mind and I divorced it -- Black Thought

all stah
23470 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 06:45 PM

"RE: Aside from spot up shooters"

agreed

all stah
23470 posts
Wed Feb-06-13 06:45 PM

6. "RE: Aside from spot up shooters"
In response to Reply # 5

agreed

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Feb-07-13 11:55 AM

7. "It's not that plays aren't run for them..."
In response to Reply # 5

... it's that iso plays aren't run for them. It's not like Marion and Barnes have to fend for themselves. They'll do scrappy things to get in position, sure, but they also have plays run for them. Just not the type of play where it's "give them the ball at the top of the key and everyone else spread out."

All plays involving moving without the ball, set or unset, tend to fall into catch-and-shoot territory.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

The Mac
Member since Feb 11th 2008
1493 posts
Thu Feb-07-13 12:25 PM

8. "RE:"
In response to Reply # 7

How many plays do you think are run for Matt Barnes per game?

Cause I'm doing better now, don't mean I never lost shit/ I was married to a state of mind and I divorced it -- Black Thought

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2127164 Previous topic | Next topic