Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2121215

Subject: "Jay Ratliff..."you tell me don't drink and drive, I say 'what is this?'"" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Mon Jan-28-13 03:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jay Ratliff..."you tell me don't drink and drive, I say 'what is this?'""

smh...fool blew a .16 two and a half hours AFTER the cops showed up. Good job learning a lesson from that whole Jerry Brown situation.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8890044/jay-ratliff-dallas-cowboys-blood-alcohol-content-16-police

Dallas Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff's blood alcohol content was 0.16 percent -- twice the legal limit -- after his arrest for driving while intoxicated last week, blood test results revealed, according to Grapevine, Texas, police.

Ratliff was arrested in the early morning hours of Jan. 22 after his 2011 Ford pickup truck sideswiped an 18-wheeler and slammed into a median protector on State Highway 114. There were no injuries as a result of the crash, which caused major damage to the driver's side of Ratliff's truck.

The police report states that Ratliff, a four-time Pro Bowler and team captain, failed three field sobriety tests at the scene and refused to provide a breath specimen. A search warrant was issued for a blood sample at 2:55 a.m., almost two and a half hours after the police arrived at the scene of the accident.

Ratliff's arrest came less than two months after his backup, Josh Brent, was charged with intoxication manslaughter after a wreck that killed outside linebacker Jerry Brown, who was on the Cowboys' practice squad.

Blood results after the Dec. 8 accident, which occurred on the same highway as Ratliff's wreck about 16 miles away, revealed that Brent had a blood alcohol level of 0.189 percent.

Brent was indicted on one count of intoxication manslaughter and faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted. He also could receive probation. Brent is free on $100,000 bond and is required to wear an alcohol monitor.

More on the Cowboys

Calvin Watkins, Tim MacMahon and Todd Archer have the Dallas Cowboys blanketed.
Blog » ESPN Dallas »
Top 50 Cowboys

Ratliff bonded out of the Grapevine jail the day of his arrest. A source told ESPNDallas.com that Ratliff and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones met the next day.

Ratliff, his agent, Mark Slough have yet to comment on the arrest.

Calvin Hill, a consultant for the Cowboys' Player Development Program, said in a statement Monday afternoon that the team has been in communication with Ratliff regarding the incident and "will monitor the legal process and work within the NFL guidelines for player behavior moving forward."

Hill referenced the crash that killed Brown in his statement and said the Cowboys "know that one incident is too many."

"The critical goal is to effect the decision making process in the hours before the wrong decision is made," he said in the statement.

"Our player assistance programs in the areas of preventing incidents such as these are at the highest level in professional sports, but we are always looking to do better and for ways to improve. We will continue to draw upon the best expertise and resources available, both internally and from outside the organization, to work toward being the best in the areas of education, prevention, and effecting the right decisions," Hill said.

According to the probable cause affidavit written by arresting officer Eric Barch, Ratliff was "verbally abusive several times" after being transported to the Grapevine jail. Ratliff had been "cooperative and courteous" at the scene of the accident, Barch wrote.

Ratliff, according to the affidavit, showed a total of 12 clues of intoxication while taking three field sobriety tests. Ratliff, who underwent season-ending surgery to repair a sports hernia on Dec. 13, complained after his arrest about prior injuries that could have affected his ability to perform two of the field sobriety tests, Barch wrote. The officer stated in his report that Ratliff did not have any difficulty moving around the crash scene.

Ratliff told the officer that he had been "chillin' with a homegirl" in Arlington, Texas, and was en route to his home in Southlake.

ESPNDallas.com's Calvin Watkins contributed to this report.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Cincinnati Cowboys?
Jan 28th 2013
subj and 1st sentence made me think cops pulled this guy
Jan 28th 2013
DUIs should get a one year league ban no pay...
Jan 28th 2013
sadly, they probably wouldn't
Jan 28th 2013
niggas only care about shit that directly affects them
Jan 28th 2013
      how hard could the NFL go at alcoholism
Jan 29th 2013
      lol josh brent is facing the loss of game checks and his
Jan 29th 2013
The worst part is that every player has access to a service
Jan 28th 2013
the thing is, I'm sure the players think GMs are keeping tabs
Jan 28th 2013
so.
Jan 29th 2013
lol right.
Jan 29th 2013
this would be an awful excuse and any gm who actually said that
Jan 29th 2013
I see your point, but seriously fam
Jan 29th 2013
even if they didnt, they got plenty of cab fare
Jan 29th 2013
      Its free, and available to ALL players
Jan 29th 2013
DUI's in general should have harsher punishments
Jan 29th 2013
      i've always wanted to know what my real life buzz equates
Jan 29th 2013
pass the Heineken and MIND YA BUSINESS!
Jan 28th 2013

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Mon Jan-28-13 03:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Cincinnati Cowboys?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59177 posts
Mon Jan-28-13 04:00 PM

2. "subj and 1st sentence made me think cops pulled this guy "
In response to Reply # 0

over and gave him break and then he got into an accident later.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Mon Jan-28-13 04:04 PM

3. "DUIs should get a one year league ban no pay..."
In response to Reply # 0

i bet them niggas cut the shit out then

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Cenario
59177 posts
Mon Jan-28-13 04:08 PM

4. "sadly, they probably wouldn't"
In response to Reply # 3

i mean his teammate is looking at jail time because he took a teammates life and that didn't stop him.

>i bet them niggas cut the shit out then

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Mon Jan-28-13 04:50 PM

7. "niggas only care about shit that directly affects them"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon Jan-28-13 04:50 PM by LAbeathustla

and by them i mean them pockets....alot of these dumb ass "get DUI" type of niggas are prolly one or 2 paychecks away from bein broke...so snatch 16 checks away...a large portion of these niggas might straighten up...

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

avionix
Member since Sep 24th 2007
498 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 12:18 AM

9. "how hard could the NFL go at alcoholism"
In response to Reply # 7

and not look like some bullshitters?

they're getting hit pretty hard on the safety issue, they're probably looking at this like WTF else can happen to our image?

#mistycopeland

Cenario
59177 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 10:12 AM

12. "lol josh brent is facing the loss of game checks and his "
In response to Reply # 7

freedom.

That ain't stop ratliff.

People have an invincibility complex that certain things won't happen to them. It doesn't matter what the possible punishment could be. The results of drunk driving could be....

loss of your life
loss of a passengers life
loss of life by pedestrian/adverse vehicle's occupants
severe injury to yourself or others
prison
fine
team/league suspension
etc.

But they do it anyway. You think possible league suspension for 1 year is going to stop someone when the above doesn't anyway?

Not saying your idea is a bad one, just saying that sadly, it probably wouldn't be much of a deterring factor.

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Mon Jan-28-13 04:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "The worst part is that every player has access to a service"
In response to Reply # 3

that will come and get you for free!!!!

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18752 posts
Mon Jan-28-13 05:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "the thing is, I'm sure the players think GMs are keeping tabs "
In response to Reply # 5

So if a dude stays using the service, they can knock him down when it comes to extension time.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 12:23 AM

10. "so."
In response to Reply # 8

Cenario
59177 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 10:13 AM

13. "lol right. "
In response to Reply # 10

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 10:59 AM

15. "this would be an awful excuse and any gm who actually said that "
In response to Reply # 8

out loud would get killed for it. I know negotiations look ugly but if the media got a hold of a gm actually coming down a player for using a car service they'd have a field day

Dae021
39375 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 01:00 PM

18. "I see your point, but seriously fam"
In response to Reply # 8

You have a dude that refuses to put himself or anyone else at risk and shows up on the practice field, and game day, there's not a gm in the league that could hold that against someone

Get out the room,

Situation Podemy love

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:01 AM

16. "even if they didnt, they got plenty of cab fare"
In response to Reply # 5

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Dae021
39375 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 12:58 PM

17. "Its free, and available to ALL players"
In response to Reply # 16

Especially players from the cowboys, they could come and drive your car to your crib for you!

Get out the room,

Situation Podemy love

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 09:42 AM

11. "DUI's in general should have harsher punishments"
In response to Reply # 3

but legal limit could also go up a hair (3 beers over a few hours should not be punishable imo)

Cenario
59177 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 10:19 AM

14. "i've always wanted to know what my real life buzz equates"
In response to Reply # 11

to in numbers.

We've all driven buzzed/drunk before. I did it enough when I was younger. But if i knew that what I called a slight buzz, was really a .12, maybe I take a cab and get my car in the morning. I had always been more fearful of the legal ramifications than getting into an accident. The most scared I ever been in life was when I was pulled over while buzzed smh.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Jan-28-13 04:38 PM

6. "pass the Heineken and MIND YA BUSINESS!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2121215 Previous topic | Next topic