Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2117670

Subject: "Scalabrine aint got shit on The Marine, right? (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 08:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Scalabrine aint got shit on The Marine, right? (swipe)"
Tue Jan-22-13 08:25 PM by melmag

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/brian-scalabrine-dominated-competition-boston-one-one-challenge-231654445--nba.html

Over 11 NBA seasons, journeyman forward Brian Scalabrine cultivated an image of a regular guy who just happened to play basketball. Eventually, many fans came to believe that Scalabrine was an Average Joe, not an elite athlete (as all NBA players are), and figured that he probably wasn't that great at the profession that earned him tens of millions of dollars. This summer, Scalabrine said that he resented this suggestion (even if he also heartily embraced the regular guy image), and in December he challenged any Boston-area amateur basketball players to games of one-on-one.

On Monday, Scalabrine faced four hand-picked competitors. He destroyed them all. From CBS Boston (via TBJ):

Scalabrine, who retired over the summer after a very serviceable 11-year NBA career, took on four of Boston’s best ballers in 98.5 The Sports Hub’s 1-on-1 “Scallenge,” put on by morning hosts Toucher & Rich.

Listeners sent in their try-out videos, showing off their skills and talking some trash towards Scal, but it turns out even Boston’s best was no match for Scalabrine.

Scalabrine — who spent the last few seasons of his career seen as the “human victory cigar” — easily defeated all four of his opponents, throwing down monstrous jams and sinking smooth jumpers as he beat them all by a combined score of 44-6.

That link also features a 30-minute video of the action, and it becomes very clear very quickly that Scalabrine is on another level from these athletes. Even against decent competition — the first challenger, Matt Tomaszewski, was on Syracuse's roster just last season — Scalabrine owned everyone. The second and third games were both shutouts, and the six points scored included one two-pointer. In four games, Scalabrine conceded just five baskets.

This full-scale domination isn't terribly surprising, because it really is amazingly difficult to play in the NBA for 11 seasons. Scalabrine managed to do so in part because he found a role as a good teammate, which made him more valuable than his talent may have suggested, but even then he was in competition with an exceedingly small group of potential employees. The idea that any random weekend warrior could challenge him is ridiculous.

We are only left to wonder why this challenge was necessary in the first place. For that, Scalabrine has to look at himself. While no fan should ever feel like he's on the same athletic plane as a professional athlete, the fact of the matter is that some pros embrace that image because it provides them new opportunities. Without it, Scalabrine probably never would have gotten his current job as an analyst for CSN New England. He deserves more respect than he's been given, but there are also identifiable reasons for why he doesn't always get it.

RAW FOOTAGE!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHrz5Q29ECM&feature=player_embedded#!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
He bottled up the JJ Reddick types.
Jan 22nd 2013
The Marine killed bin Laden though nm
Jan 22nd 2013
on his morning commute, nonetheless.
Jan 22nd 2013
Did he recite a haiku in his face first?*
Jan 22nd 2013
      Ugh. You had to bring that jump the shark moment up?
Jan 23rd 2013
      I don't understand why y'all think that ruined the thread
Jan 23rd 2013
           The best part of the thread was how sincere he seemed. Like he
Jan 23rd 2013
                pretty much
Jan 23rd 2013
                He was serious at first
Jan 23rd 2013
                     yeah, he was
Jan 23rd 2013
                     Yep, that's the point...
Jan 23rd 2013
                          ^Sherlock Holmes
Jan 23rd 2013
I get a kick out of dumb shit like this
Jan 22nd 2013
if i had your height, i'd be in the nba
Jan 22nd 2013
You don't even need that. Anyone with a brain, really.
Jan 22nd 2013
yup it was fun to watch.
Jan 23rd 2013
watched the 30m vid, it's funny, he bricks a lot but his D is next level
Jan 23rd 2013
More like his size is next level
Jan 23rd 2013
JJ Barea is shorter than me and would murder these cats
Jan 23rd 2013
i haven't watched the vid, but even if it was somehow a close
Jan 23rd 2013
      nah, that's actually the funny part -- Scalabrine bricks a lot down low
Jan 23rd 2013
you think you could beat earl boykins?
Jan 23rd 2013
I would like to say Perk vs, Boykins in the post.
Jan 23rd 2013
oh so he has unique gifts which make him better than most?
Jan 23rd 2013
      Against civilians his size is a weapon
Jan 23rd 2013
shit, he looked kinda gassed at the end of the first game
Jan 23rd 2013
One on one ain't the same as a Y League game.
Jan 23rd 2013
good point.
Jan 23rd 2013
Scalabrine ain't no match for them set plays
Jan 23rd 2013
Yeah I'm not reading shit here about him facing the Semper Fi zone D
Jan 23rd 2013
      Horticulturist moves along that zone very treacherously
Jan 23rd 2013
           lmao. aw jesus. my sides hurt.
Jan 23rd 2013
These guys suck though.
Jan 23rd 2013
RE: These guys suck though.
Jan 23rd 2013
I'm sure his opponents were younger than him, too
Jan 23rd 2013
And he was sorry.
Jan 23rd 2013
Kobe's jaw would like a word.
Jan 23rd 2013
back in the day when Run & Shoot was still open
Jan 23rd 2013
      All I'm saying is BOSTON HAS NO RUN
Jan 23rd 2013
Matt Bonner Better
Jan 23rd 2013
Dirty B!
Jan 23rd 2013
Lucious Harris used to play at the gym my best friend worked at
Jan 23rd 2013
Lucious was a skill player/lights out shooter
Jan 23rd 2013
lol that was dope im adopting several of those triple threat moves
Jan 23rd 2013
all i saw was jab step followed by step back air ball or bricks
Jan 23rd 2013

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 08:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "He bottled up the JJ Reddick types."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 08:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "The Marine killed bin Laden though nm"
In response to Reply # 0

---

But hell, what do I know?

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 08:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "on his morning commute, nonetheless."
In response to Reply # 2

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 08:36 PM

4. "Did he recite a haiku in his face first?*"
In response to Reply # 2

* - sorry, that was the point at which the thread died, but unfortunately I CANT get it out my head when I see The Marine references.

17x NBA Champions

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 12:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Ugh. You had to bring that jump the shark moment up?"
In response to Reply # 4

I tried to block it out to keep the marine mystique afloat in my mind.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 09:02 AM

22. "I don't understand why y'all think that ruined the thread"
In response to Reply # 4

That made it waaaay better

nigga just gave up and joined in the party

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 09:36 AM

26. "The best part of the thread was how sincere he seemed. Like he "
In response to Reply # 22

REALLY believed everything he was saying. He had the perfect tone in everything he was saying that made it all seem like this was a dude that REALLY believed that his YMCA league could hang with pros. As soon as he posted that haiku line it made it obvious that he was playing along, and most likely the playing along didn't start at that point, but long before.

That's why people were calling for archive before that. At some point he had to have started playing along making up stuff, but he was doing it so well there wasn't a clear point that jumped out as "Oh, he gotta be making this up"...but he was posting so much that we knew at some point he'd slip and post something that was obviously fake. The haiku line was it.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 09:42 AM

27. "pretty much"
In response to Reply # 26

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

BennyTenStack
Member since Sep 09th 2007
5681 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 12:23 PM

33. "He was serious at first"
In response to Reply # 26

Then he started playing along to save face.

pretentious username
12493 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 02:50 PM

40. "yeah, he was"
In response to Reply # 33

especially where he didn't even start the post (we would've been clowning the OP had he not shown up).

the most sincere part was when he brought up that convo with his teammates where he talked about what OKS said and they chuckled at us like WE were the idiots.

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 06:15 PM

43. "Yep, that's the point..."
In response to Reply # 33

>Then he started playing along to save face.

It was obvious that he was TRULY serious at the beginning, and also he had to have started playing along at some time. But what made that post special is that he did it so gradually and sincerely that you couldn't really point to one post he made and say "okay that's it, he's playing along and trolling at this point." It was honestly a perfect transition...he was clearly being real when he was talking about the all the players at the Y, and also when he started naming players they were better than like Telfair, Reddick, and Sean May. Dude even came back the next day and was still clearly being sincere, and kept making more and more outlandish claims.

He probably started playing around sometime around when people wanted to actually come through but he didn't want outsiders to come in. But there still wasn't something that jumped out as obviously fake until he dropped that haiku line.

You know what? eff it. I think I might agree with OE now - I'm rereading that joint and I think he actually WAS serious until that line. That ish is the greatest post in the history of the internet.

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 11:03 PM

45. "^Sherlock Holmes "
In response to Reply # 43

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 09:03 PM

5. "I get a kick out of dumb shit like this"
In response to Reply # 0

When people are like "he is sorry, I could beat him one on one," or "if only I trained I could ..."

No, he's not, no, you couldn't.

Most dudes who say that couldn't find a beatable opponent in womens college basketball.

Anybody who saw Scales in college knew he could whip any local yokel.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Cenario
59176 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 09:31 PM

6. "if i had your height, i'd be in the nba"
In response to Reply # 5

I used to hear that all through my 20's.

Uh...ok dude.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 09:56 PM

7. "You don't even need that. Anyone with a brain, really. "
In response to Reply # 5

>Anybody who saw Scales in college knew he could whip any local
>yokel.

Anyone with a brain will say "Oh, he played 11 years in the NBA. He's gotta be amazing just to get there. I'm justgonna fall back now."

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 02:13 AM

13. "yup it was fun to watch."
In response to Reply # 5

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 12:24 AM

8. "watched the 30m vid, it's funny, he bricks a lot but his D is next level"
In response to Reply # 0

the CLEAR difference in technique between Scalabrine and his competition is his defensive technique -- his balance on defense, how he uses his hands, the way he slides and moves the player into places they don't want to be. he lets them move around a bit, but never move anywhere dangerous. and he starts out in some DEEP knee bends but towards the end he's clearly gassed a bit and not giving it everything, but *still* those dudes can't figure out what to do against him.

cool stunt. cool for Scalabrine to talk the shit then back it up.

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

FILF
20180 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 04:01 AM

17. "More like his size is next level"
In response to Reply # 8

they couldn't do anything when he gave them the Shaq boom boom in the post. Next time, pick on a man your own size. Even a scrub in the Association can score on a smaller player at will.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 04:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "JJ Barea is shorter than me and would murder these cats"
In response to Reply # 17

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 09:25 AM

24. "i haven't watched the vid, but even if it was somehow a close"
In response to Reply # 18

game, scales could score easily at will in the post.

Seeing a j.j. barea type cat would def be more entertaining bc there isn't the obvious size disparity. Of course, you'd expect jj or whatever G equivalent to scales is would still murk whoever.

celery77
25307 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 11:36 AM

31. "nah, that's actually the funny part -- Scalabrine bricks a lot down low"
In response to Reply # 24

he starts out every possession in the triple threat and utilizes that properly -- jab steps, pump fakes, then commits aggressively to the move he wants, either taking a hard first step left or right or rising up into a clean jumper.

his drives get him into the key every time, but 2 or 3 of the guys he plays have the strength to bother him down there, so then he has to go into the low-post routines, either giving them the up and under or occasionally the defender gets good enough position that Scales has to drop some footwork for the spinning fadeaway or spinning hook. his technique on all the moves is solid but he actually bricks a LOT.

but that's the thing -- even with every brick he has, he doesn't pay on the other side, because he's able to slide, keep balance, keep guys out of good positions in the key, and bother them with his length. I don't think he gets any steals but he TORTURES these dudes who are obviously drilled with playground (or possibly lower level comp) D. nobody really makes a clean shot on him, they're ALL having to go pretty deep into the bag to pull out shots but they're so bothered it doesn't matter they can't convert.

seriously -- I didn't do the math but it seemed like Scalabrine was shooting in the 40% or less range against these dudes. he gets inside, drops some obviously well-drilled footwork, then the ball skips off the rim (he starts cussing at himself towards the end because the 4th dude gets a 2-1 lead on him after a made prayer 2, and actually that's another funny part you can see has another level of focus where he's locked into competition and is only worried about how he's going to win, the other dudes have that "gee I'm playing Scales!" look on their face).

but yeah -- it's actually a pretty cool vid even though it's kinda just some playground shit. it's fun to see the difference in game between the pros and the joes.

HOPE!

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35246 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 08:33 AM

20. "you think you could beat earl boykins?"

FILF
20180 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 02:36 PM

37. "I would like to say Perk vs, Boykins in the post."
In response to Reply # 20

celery77
25307 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 11:29 AM

30. "oh so he has unique gifts which make him better than most?"

yeah, no shit -- that's prolly why the NBA gave him a paycheck for 11 years.

HOPE!

FILF
20180 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 02:35 PM

36. "Against civilians his size is a weapon"
In response to Reply # 30

I can't say the same against cats in the association.

pretentious username
12493 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 08:57 AM

21. "shit, he looked kinda gassed at the end of the first game"
In response to Reply # 8

but yeah, they all looked like they'd be pretty good on offense in a normal pick-up game, he just made them uncomfortable.

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18750 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 12:37 AM

9. "One on one ain't the same as a Y League game. "
In response to Reply # 0

The Marine doesn't just put in work, he's the consummate teammate. And in more than just the laughing at Paul Pierce's jokes/noddin along when KG says he's gonna kill some fool way.

Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Cenario
59176 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 09:26 AM

25. "good point."
In response to Reply # 9

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 09:59 AM

28. "Scalabrine ain't no match for them set plays"
In response to Reply # 9

He don't have the ball IQ to sit at the
table

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 12:16 PM

32. "Yeah I'm not reading shit here about him facing the Semper Fi zone D"
In response to Reply # 9

Til then , he's still got something to prove

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18750 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 02:11 PM

34. "Horticulturist moves along that zone very treacherously"
In response to Reply # 32

dude's like a sniper in the grass.

Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

2.tears.in.a.bucket
Member since Sep 04th 2009
6185 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 10:56 PM

44. "lmao. aw jesus. my sides hurt."
In response to Reply # 34

♚♚♚♚

#BYLUG >>> https://goo.gl/1ooFp6

♚♚♚♚

screamin' mothafuck a 12 /
bitches ain't shit /
cops ain't neither /
they huntin' my people /

- i. rashad

♚♚♚♚

The Mac
Member since Feb 11th 2008
1493 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 12:45 AM

10. "These guys suck though."
In response to Reply # 0

Not asying that to shit on Scal by any means, I'm sure he would whoop me and most street ballers. But Boston clearly isn't offering much talent with these idiots airballing layups and shit

Cause I'm doing better now, don't mean I never lost shit/ I was married to a state of mind and I divorced it -- Black Thought

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 01:38 AM

12. "RE: These guys suck though."
In response to Reply # 10
Wed Jan-23-13 02:18 AM by melmag

one of those "idiots" was a Syracuse recruit, obviously not any random scrub, but Scalz made him look like one.

it goes to show you how good Scalz is on the low. could you even crack a D3 roster?

>Not asying that to shit on Scal by any means, I'm sure he
>would whoop me and most street ballers. But Boston clearly
>isn't offering much talent with these idiots airballing layups
>and shit

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 02:15 AM

15. "I'm sure his opponents were younger than him, too"
In response to Reply # 12

1, 3, and 4 looked in better shape than Scal

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

The Mac
1493 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 02:47 PM

38. "And he was sorry."
In response to Reply # 12

Would I crack a D3 roster? LOL cmon man I played college ball, and I know Scal would probably cook me anyways, but these cats look SORRY AS HELL. Only dude who looked like he could play was the black dude...

Cause I'm doing better now, don't mean I never lost shit/ I was married to a state of mind and I divorced it -- Black Thought

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 02:14 AM

14. "Kobe's jaw would like a word."

---

But hell, what do I know?

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 10:01 AM

29. "back in the day when Run & Shoot was still open"

random 12th man type NBA cats used to always be up in there
bodybagging everyone

didnt matter how good those dudes were
they were good for mortals

these dudes are pros

even random overseas dudes used to destroy in there and it was some really good comp

The Mac
1493 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 02:48 PM

39. "All I'm saying is BOSTON HAS NO RUN"
In response to Reply # 29

Ya'll stay twisting words

FILF
20180 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 03:50 AM

16. "Matt Bonner Better"
In response to Reply # 0

KosherSam
Member since Mar 18th 2004
70132 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 09:21 AM

23. "Dirty B!"
In response to Reply # 16

*Jews you*

"this is okp tho, reading is completely optional" (c) desus

Proceed with caution. I am overtly racist.

<-- In Pigpen we trust

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 06:16 AM

19. "Lucious Harris used to play at the gym my best friend worked at"
In response to Reply # 0

in Gardena (L.A.) and seeing him dominate, even 5-6 years after he was in the finals, was amazing. Because he was going at dudes who were stars in HS, but didn't have the grades or quite enough talent to play at UCLA/USC...some went to the Cal State's like Lucious did, but were bench players. Some played at the local Junior Colleges. But yeah, he'd really look like a STAR out there, to where you really felt he could average 12 pts a game if he had a chance.

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

FILF
20180 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 03:03 PM

41. "Lucious was a skill player/lights out shooter "
In response to Reply # 19
Wed Jan-23-13 03:04 PM by FILF

ain't nobody playing D in pick-up ball, so if you give him daylight and that's a layup for him even if he's pushing 50. Shyt, Steve Kerr was still lighting up teams from the outside when he was on his last legs in the big leagues.

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 02:15 PM

35. "lol that was dope im adopting several of those triple threat moves "
In response to Reply # 0

the first dude gave him the best game but he might have been just warming up

FILF
20180 posts
Wed Jan-23-13 03:09 PM

42. "all i saw was jab step followed by step back air ball or bricks"
In response to Reply # 35

if you can't shoot, there is no point in implementing the triple treat.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2117670 Previous topic | Next topic