Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2116917

Subject: "What is your tell-tale sign of a bad coach?" Previous topic | Next topic
LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 12:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"What is your tell-tale sign of a bad coach?"

Mine is when the coach or team makes the same exact mistake repeatedly. One of the main responsibilities of a coach is to highlight mistakes and then correct them.

I've seen this Laker team continue to defend screen-roll the same exact fucking way even though we've been getting roasted all season on it, I''ve seen them continue to not even fucking TALK to each other on the defensive end resulting in blown assignment after blown assignment, and then I've seen D'Antoni continue to play Kobe 40+ mins, including the entire 2nd half multiple times, when it's obvious that dude is doing more bad than good with dead legs.

Why the fuck do you continue to do the same thing and expect different results? How does that make any cotdamn sense? What a cotdamn joke.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
when he wears fucking cut-off hoodies to nat'lly televised media events
Jan 22nd 2013
Never adjusting for your personnel, not holding players accountable
Jan 22nd 2013
YES refusing to change for your players
Jan 22nd 2013
looking at the box score... Dwight only had 5 shots(!)
Jan 22nd 2013
He didn't dissapear, we STILL haven't adjusted to him being fronted
Jan 22nd 2013
      geez.
Jan 22nd 2013
           None of those are examples of teams fronting the post though
Jan 22nd 2013

celery77
Member since Aug 04th 2005
25307 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 12:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "when he wears fucking cut-off hoodies to nat'lly televised media events"
In response to Reply # 0

HOPE!
https://vine.co/v/i7JjIBL3Qix
https://vine.co/v/i7JtqEFwxDu

MothershipConnection
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
7498 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 12:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Never adjusting for your personnel, not holding players accountable"
In response to Reply # 0

As a UCLA fan, I know about some bad coaches. I've always been a believer that X's & O's don't matter so much as your team being able to execute your main concepts and play together with energy.

I mean I saw the same with Ben Howland this year, we recruit a bunch of horses and we started the season still trying to play pound it out ball. The fact he finally loosened the reigns and pushed the tempo has turned around our season and makes me think Howland still has some wits about him, though I question that it took him that long to do so. With D'Antoni, it's obvious your best chance at winning is to pound it out and be efficient on offense, which you can easily do with that personnel, but they turn it over WAY too much and take horrible shots in crunch time. And certain players (Kobe) are never held accountable for their mistakes, no matter how good they are.

Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 08:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "YES refusing to change for your players"
In response to Reply # 2

Todd Graham's 1 year at Pitt was that. He wanted high octane, quick throws, no blocking needed because you take the snap and react immediately.

But we had Tino Sunseri who is slow to react and not good under pressure and the season was awful. He led the country in sacks taken and Graham never changed the plan once as Tino just became the most hated man in the city.

Next year Chryst comes in, adapts to him and Tino is still only mediocre but he threw 3 interceptions all year and was sacked only half as much in a normal system.

d.
Member since Dec 13th 2009
4132 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 01:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "looking at the box score... Dwight only had 5 shots(!)"
In response to Reply # 0

how does he continue to disappear like this? granted, I noticed this in Orlando too,
but I usually assumed it was because the team's jumpers were falling
and they didn't need him to score... and SVG's 3-point happy offense

I guess L.A. has replicated that with D'Antoni. 3-17 from 3... 18%

___

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 02:05 AM

4. "He didn't dissapear, we STILL haven't adjusted to him being fronted"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Jan-22-13 02:14 AM by LA2Philly

Instead of swinging the ball to the top side to change the angle of the pass and using the front to Dwight's advantage to seal, we just keep the ball on that side and it results in another perimeter possession. It's basketball 101 and considering D'Antoni still hasn't changed our horrid pick and roll defensive strategy, I'm not really surprised. Compounding that is that you have Kobe who is more than willing to keep jacking up contested jumpers without even looking inside.

Alluding to my original post: it's just terrible, zero adjustment coaching. If the opposition is trying to take something away then they are giving you something else...but we don't take advantage.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

d.
Member since Dec 13th 2009
4132 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 02:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "geez."
In response to Reply # 4

crazy thing is, the Lakers were working the "hockey assist" early in the season.
a wing player would pass to Pau who would then toss it to Dwight with the
defender out of position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXbq5uwNZSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8XUnXlqDSI

bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRZOAAcUQDM

>Instead of swinging the ball to the top side to change the
>angle of the pass and using the front to Dwight's advantage to
>seal, we just keep the ball on that side and it results in
>another perimeter possession.

this struggling Laker team is definitely one of the stranger sagas in NBA history

___

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Tue Jan-22-13 02:42 AM

6. "None of those are examples of teams fronting the post though "
In response to Reply # 5

The idea you have is right in terms of swinging to Pau who then can deliver over the top (and we saw a lot of this with LO to Pau when they were playing the 4,5 positions) but none of those videos are an example of that.

Regardless, the ball sticks (and it's almost always Kobe and Ron who stop the ball) and that's why Dwight can't get any touches. You have to move it and reward him

<--The drought is over

L D E A

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2116917 Previous topic | Next topic