Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2113929

Subject: "Has John Wall hit his ceiling? (Broussard Insider Swipe)" Search result list | First match | Last match
Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Has John Wall hit his ceiling? (Broussard Insider Swipe)"

no comment

Thursday, January 17, 2013
Has John Wall hit his ceiling?
By Chris Broussard
ESPN the Magazine

One of the most intriguing young players in the league returned to action last week. John Wall and his blazing, high-wire act are back from a knee injury and, finally, there's a spark of life in the Washington Wizards' franchise.

Wall, a third-year point guard, is unquestionably one of the most exciting players in the world. Liable to dunk on an entire team at any time, Wall is must-see TV.

But that's about all we know about the 6-foot-4 lightning bolt. Two up-and-down, at-times-dazzling, at-times-exasperating seasons have left us without answers as to how good Wall will eventually be.

Sometimes that's how it is; no one would've predicted greatness for John Stockton, Gary Payton, Steve Nash or Chauncey Billups after their first two seasons, so Wall's inconsistent play so far is not necessarily a definitive statement about what his future holds.

But other point guards, particularly recently, have defined themselves as future perennial All-Stars much quicker than Wall. I'm talking about guys like Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving and Derrick Rose.

Wall's numbers are fairly strong. He's averaged 16.3 points and 8.1 assists over his first two seasons, but he's also committed 3.8 turnovers a game while shooting about 41 percent from the floor. So what does it all mean? How good does Wall project to be?

To find out, we asked several NBA experts who are paid to assess talent, potential and productivity for their thoughts on Wall. Here's what two NBA team executives and two scouts think of the No. 1 pick of the 2010 draft.

The Eastern Conference executive:

"His stock never should've been as high as it was. His whole game is based on straight-line speed. He doesn't have good lateral moves in the half court. He's not a shooter, he's not leader, he's not a guy you can build a team around. What he is is a better version of Tyreke Evans.

"

He's not a shooter, he's not leader, he's not a guy you can build a team around. What he is is a better version of Tyreke Evans.
" -- An Eastern Conference executive

"If you build your team around Wall, you're not building a strong playoff team. He doesn't have any pace to his game. He just has blinding speed. When Jason Kidd was young, he didn't have pace either. All he had was blinding speed. The difference, though, was that Kidd had native playmaking ability. He used his blinding speed to get other guys shots. Wall uses his speed to get to the rim every time and he doesn't make anybody better.

"I like him as a kid, and I hope for his sake that he watched enough tape while he was injured to appreciate pace. I also hope he likes Bradley Beal and realizes that he's a guy he can throw the ball to. You can certainly argue that over his first two seasons, he didn't have anyone to throw the ball to.''

The Western Conference executive:

"When you talk about the perception of him coming out of college, he got the benefit of being from Kentucky. … That probably led to him being a bit overrated. He definitely has not yet established himself as a great player, but you have to factor in the situation in Washington. How is that impacting him? It's easy to pounce on him, but a lot of people around the league are blaming the situation in Washington more than they're blaming him.''

The Eastern Conference scout:

"When he entered the league, I thought he could improve and one day get to that elite status. But judging by the way he's played so far, I'd say, 'No, he's not going to be an elite point guard.' He's so limited. He's not a great decision-maker and he's not a great scorer, so those two things right there keep him from entering the class of Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Kyrie Irving, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook and those guys. He's not in that class. He's a tremendous athlete going north and south. I see a guy who thinks 'shoot first, pass second.' Maybe that's because he's on a bad team, but I think those are his instincts -- shoot first, pass second. And I think his jumper, or his lack of a jumper, is an Achilles' heel for him.

"I think of Wall as a poor man's Westbrook. Both are great athletes playing point guard and both are really, really fast. They both finish strong at the rim. I think that's one of the best things about Wall's game -- that he can get to the hole and finish. But I think he's a tier below Westbrook and those other elite guys. Yeah, Westbrook isn't a great decision-maker and his game is based largely on his athleticism, but he is also a good shooter. I hate to say Wall can't be like Westbrook because he's such a young kid, but I really don't think he can. I don't think he's in the class of Westbrook. When the ball comes off Westbrook's hand, it looks good. When it comes off Wall's hand, it's, 'Man, that thing ain't going in.' Can Wall get to that elite status? I have my doubts. Wall needed to stay in college longer. But he was going to be picked so high that you can't blame him for leaving.''
Another Eastern Conference scout:

"My general feeling is that Wall isn't a guy you build a team around. He's not a franchise guy. He's a very good player, but I'm getting that Steve Francis feeling. He's a very similar player to Francis. They're damn near identical. Now some people may immediately say, 'Wait a minute, he's better than Steve Francis.' But they're just remembering the end of Francis' career. Remember, that guy made some All-Star teams. Both are athletic guys playing point guard who really aren't necessarily point guards. They don't shoot it well, they're not the best decision-makers. They're very exciting, very explosive guys who can make plays. One minute they're exciting, the next minute they're boneheaded. They do so many things well that you can't help but appreciate their talent. They're nice players to have, but they can't be your franchise guy. They're more like a number 3 guy if you're going to be a really good team. To be fair, Wall will pass the ball. He's a little more of a point guard than Francis was. Francis was a little more of a scorer, more shoot first than Wall.

"Russell Westbrook is another great comparison. He's another tremendous athlete who's playing point guard and who often does some boneheaded stuff. But his talent is so great that you say, 'That's OK.' But Westbrook kind of underscores the point I'm making about Wall. You have to have a Kevin Durant and a couple of other guys with him. Oklahoma had Durant and Harden with Westbrook, so he's one of two or three guys; he's not your main guy. If you put Wall in Oklahoma and Westbrook in Washington, the Wizards would still suck and Oklahoma would still be good.''

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lol excellent mad-making potential
Jan 17th 2013
you'd think i was the scout they're quoting...
Jan 17th 2013
      the last paragraph i just knew it was you until i peeped the "
Jan 18th 2013
This shit right here got me rolling
Jan 17th 2013
yeah that was amazing lol
Jan 17th 2013
http://tinyurl.com/b954wca
Jan 17th 2013
Interchangeable with Russ is a bad thing?
Jan 17th 2013
uh, they said he's not interchangeable with Russ
Jan 17th 2013
nope.
Jan 17th 2013
Dude came back out of shape and is putting up 13 and 7 in 22 minutes
Jan 17th 2013
Right? Why does my dude make people so angry?
Jan 17th 2013
dude coming off an injury....wait a few months before obituary
Jan 17th 2013
let's just say he has for the sake of argument
Jan 18th 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jan 18th 2013
he ain't no better than tony wroten, dogg.
Jan 18th 2013
      You sooooo Angry right now B. Lmao.
Jan 18th 2013
      just givin my opinion, dogg....wroten a 16/8 awful shooter type too
Jan 18th 2013
           John Wall is dougie'ing on your burning soul & smiling
Jan 18th 2013
      actually wroten will be better than wall...i'll make a new thread tho
Jan 25th 2013
           Your shit is tired & lame B. Kyrie had more turnovers than assists tho.
Jan 25th 2013
                we not discussing kyrie no more...wroten bout to enter that third tier
Jan 25th 2013
                     Don't get mad now. I see them smoke screens. 1:1
Jan 25th 2013
                          oh, i think we both know i ain't mad...like, at all...
Jan 25th 2013
                               Well....since none of them dudes passed him. I'd say your mad.
Jan 25th 2013
                                    for real? you don't think curry clearly better than wall? is jrue?
Jan 25th 2013
                                         Jrue aint. Curry is winning now. No diff than before.
Jan 25th 2013
                                              jrue ain't? but, he score better and drop dimes better?
Jan 25th 2013
                                                   Why do you insist on posting dumb? He scoring & getting...
Jan 25th 2013
                                                        so jrue's numbers gonna drop in the second half?
Jan 25th 2013
                                                             They might drop. Who knows?
Jan 25th 2013
                                                                  LMAO @ 12/13 dimes per...good luck, dogg.
Jan 25th 2013
                                                                       The dimes come easy for him. He can get 8 with shit.
Jan 25th 2013
Wall has already won as many games as Kyrie this season
Jan 26th 2013
http://tinyurl.com/n64ycv7
Dec 03rd 2013
damn, RBO going in, lol
Dec 03rd 2013
:-)
Dec 16th 2014

LBs Finest
Member since Sep 28th 2005
19846 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 03:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lol excellent mad-making potential"
In response to Reply # 0

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 03:19 PM

2. "you'd think i was the scout they're quoting..."
In response to Reply # 1

"He doesn't have any pace to his game. He just has blinding speed."

oh well...

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 12:02 PM

13. "the last paragraph i just knew it was you until i peeped the ""
In response to Reply # 2

b2thej
Member since Feb 11th 2005
9146 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 03:35 PM

3. "This shit right here got me rolling"
In response to Reply # 0

When the ball comes off Westbrook's hand, it looks good. When it comes off Wall's hand, it's, 'Man, that thing ain't going in.'

Also John Wall wishes he could shoot half as good as Steve Francis.

PSN ID - dirty_MF_bucks

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 04:42 PM

9. "yeah that was amazing lol"
In response to Reply # 3

>When the ball comes off Westbrook's hand, it looks good. When
>it comes off Wall's hand, it's, 'Man, that thing ain't going
>in.'
>
>
>Also John Wall wishes he could shoot half as good as Steve
>Francis.

“Be uncomfortable; be sand, not oil, to the machinery of the world.”
- Gunter Eich

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 03:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "http://tinyurl.com/b954wca"
In response to Reply # 0

http://tinyurl.com/b954wca

Niggaz are FURIOUS!

So FURIOUS they posting articles.

No......

not articles from respected journalist like Chris Broussard!

I'm happy!

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 03:39 PM

5. "Interchangeable with Russ is a bad thing?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think Wall will be elite but he could still be an above average PG and a difference maker for a quality team. I think people are forgetting just how horrific the teams he was playing on were. I thought the Wiz looked better when Nene arrived last year. Get some legit veterans on the team and see if Wall can adapt before giving up on him.

As for his draft stock, if you did a redraft, he'd still be a top three pick and possibly #1. Greg Monroe is the only guy I'd see definitely taking over him. Maybe an argument could be made for Paul George but I'd disagree. Adding Cousins to that Wizards squad would have been an utter disaster. Turner's a tweener, Favors is still living off of potential, etc.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 06:26 PM

11. "uh, they said he's not interchangeable with Russ"
In response to Reply # 5

>I don't think Wall will be elite but he could still be an
>above average PG and a difference maker for a quality team. I
>think people are forgetting just how horrific the teams he was
>playing on were. I thought the Wiz looked better when Nene
>arrived last year. Get some legit veterans on the team and see
>if Wall can adapt before giving up on him.
>
>As for his draft stock, if you did a redraft, he'd still be a
>top three pick and possibly #1. Greg Monroe is the only guy
>I'd see definitely taking over him. Maybe an argument could be
>made for Paul George but I'd disagree. Adding Cousins to that
>Wizards squad would have been an utter disaster. Turner's a
>tweener, Favors is still living off of potential, etc.
>
>

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85078 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 03:46 PM

6. "nope."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 04:02 PM

7. "Dude came back out of shape and is putting up 13 and 7 in 22 minutes"
In response to Reply # 0

Thats 21 and 11 for the per 36ers.

And has the Wiz actually looking decent.

Not a bad ceiling.

---------------------------------------------------------

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 04:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Right? Why does my dude make people so angry?"
In response to Reply # 7

I can't call it.

He played 138 games in the NBA. Yet he's reached his ceiling?

Lol.

This shit only gonna make Johnny madder.

Ink_Spot
Member since Mar 26th 2004
2948 posts
Thu Jan-17-13 04:46 PM

10. "dude coming off an injury....wait a few months before obituary"
In response to Reply # 0

rashad
Member since Mar 21st 2007
4458 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 11:53 AM

12. "let's just say he has for the sake of argument"
In response to Reply # 0

that will not stop 15-20 teams from trying to scoop him up when his bid with the Wizards is up, and that's all that really matters.

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17897 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 12:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "^^^^^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 12

http://cscpov.blogspot.com
http://cscpov.tumblr.com
http://instagram.com/cassidy415

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 03:33 PM

15. "he ain't no better than tony wroten, dogg. "
In response to Reply # 12

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 03:38 PM

16. "You sooooo Angry right now B. Lmao. "
In response to Reply # 15

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 03:56 PM

17. "just givin my opinion, dogg....wroten a 16/8 awful shooter type too"
In response to Reply # 16

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 04:04 PM

18. "John Wall is dougie'ing on your burning soul & smiling"
In response to Reply # 17

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:08 PM

19. "actually wroten will be better than wall...i'll make a new thread tho"
In response to Reply # 15

'cause people gonna hope on wroten and pretend i never said this

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:15 PM

20. "Your shit is tired & lame B. Kyrie had more turnovers than assists tho."
In response to Reply # 19

Weird

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:16 PM

21. "we not discussing kyrie no more...wroten bout to enter that third tier"
In response to Reply # 20

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:19 PM

22. "Don't get mad now. I see them smoke screens. 1:1"
In response to Reply # 21

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:22 PM

23. "oh, i think we both know i ain't mad...like, at all..."
In response to Reply # 22

there won't be no mad on this side between us for the rest of the year...college or pro.

but, yeah, wroten jive nice. i can see him surpassing wall just like BJ3, steph and jrue did.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:24 PM

24. "Well....since none of them dudes passed him. I'd say your mad."
In response to Reply # 23

The constant worrying about Wall. Not a good look. 1:1.....my bad 1:2

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:41 PM

25. "for real? you don't think curry clearly better than wall? is jrue? "
In response to Reply # 24
Fri Jan-25-13 10:41 PM by Basaglia

damn, is russy better?

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:45 PM

26. "Jrue aint. Curry is winning now. No diff than before."
In response to Reply # 25

John is back. Now John is winning. People are taking notice. And that's why your upping this dumbshit.

Scared niggaz do strange things.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:46 PM

27. "jrue ain't? but, he score better and drop dimes better?"
In response to Reply # 26

i just don't understand.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 10:56 PM

28. "Why do you insist on posting dumb? He scoring & getting..."
In response to Reply # 27

more dimes for the first half of this year.

You reactionary posting like a mutha.

As if last years 13 & 4 didn't happen. Gtfoh.

We in the middle of a J'rue renaissance right?

John has played about a season a half worth of games so far in the league.

Keep posting dumb though. We know what it is.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 11:01 PM

29. "so jrue's numbers gonna drop in the second half?"
In response to Reply # 28
Fri Jan-25-13 11:01 PM by Basaglia

>more dimes for the first half of this year.
>
>You reactionary posting like a mutha.

nah...i'm just on my make 'em mad mission, dogg. you know me. *shrug*

>As if last years 13 & 4 didn't happen. Gtfoh.

hey, i be saying the same thing, but i really don't care. jrue don't threaten me.

>We in the middle of a J'rue renaissance right?
>
>John has played about a season a half worth of games so far in
>the league.

sooooo...john gonna be an all star next year? that what you saying?

>Keep posting dumb though. We know what it is.

yeah...we do.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 11:12 PM

30. "They might drop. Who knows?"
In response to Reply # 29

I don't care about J'Rue. He's a good pg.

John Wall has great pg game.

I don't know about All Star. Shits tough to make. Rose will be back.

Deron should bounce back. Should've been on over J'rue imo.

My benchmark for him is getting the Wiz in the playoffs which will happen if he's healthy. And averaging a double double.

The peak for him is 17/18 ppg 12/13 apg 5-7rpg and winning.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 11:22 PM

31. "LMAO @ 12/13 dimes per...good luck, dogg. "
In response to Reply # 30

he COULD get that man dimes...but, he'd have to be pressed and score sub-15 like rondo. you don't get 13 dimes per in the flow of your game...you passing with purpose with dimes that high...and then you can't get over 15 per with that same pace with a shitty J from 3 and no mid range game.

maxed out wall is 18 and 10...basically what jrue doing now.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 11:39 PM

32. "The dimes come easy for him. He can get 8 with shit."
In response to Reply # 31

10 with better teammates. 12/13 with increased knowledge..

He gets on an athletic team that scores a lot he could do 11 now. Cuz he finds people.

And he has the sidekick.

He doesn't try to score. The points come easy. He gets to the hole and gets contact. He's bigger now and finishing through some contact.

His jumper looked good today. Since college and since he's been in the NBA I've stood on a mountain and said he needs to have confidence and shoot a jumper. That no jumping set shot was for the birds.

He hit like 2 or 3 today. Pull up. Don't think about it.

And now he's mad. Really mad. Lol.

If they could manage to get Gay. Keep the pick. Draft Big Nerlens.

Even if they don't get Gay. It's still a good look. Let Emeka come off.

Szabo
Member since Dec 16th 2007
2429 posts
Sat Jan-26-13 03:11 AM

33. "Wall has already won as many games as Kyrie this season"
In response to Reply # 0

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 11:02 AM

34. "http://tinyurl.com/n64ycv7"
In response to Reply # 0

http://tinyurl.com/n64ycv7

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 11:21 AM

35. "damn, RBO going in, lol"
In response to Reply # 34

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 09:35 PM

36. ":-)"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2113929Search result list | First match | Last match