Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2076565

Subject: "NHL Lockout - Holiday Edition" Previous topic | Next topic
God Loves Ugly
Member since Nov 12th 2002
2880 posts
Wed Nov-21-12 04:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NHL Lockout - Holiday Edition"

I know there has been other posts in the past few months, but meetings have started really picking up again and any hope for a season rests on the next couple weeks.

I know I am 1 of about 2000 people in the US that actually gives a shit, but maybe we can actually have a somewhat sustainable discussion/update thread here on our very own OKP (and not just have to keep it about the negotiations).

Here's some tweet recaps of today:
http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/the-cba-meeting-has-wrapped-up

The NHL is on the verge of becoming a shell of itself. I'm just one person, but I was close to getting season tickets and now I have absolutely zero desire to.

---------- Other Hockey Stuff ----------

Has anyone been following their team's players around the world? I've certainly enjoyed watching the AHL and all of our almost-ready prospects in Grand Rapids.

This link is really cool. It shows where a lot of the players are playing and gives a little blurb about them:

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/SocialMedia/index.html?appid=8295e698fead4f8e850c40e1ab327c54

Go Wings.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's pretty sad...
Nov 22nd 2012
That is exactly where I am at with it
Nov 22nd 2012
Yup.
Nov 22nd 2012
I am not totally up on the decertification talk. I will say one good thi...
Nov 22nd 2012
Thanks for the insight
Nov 22nd 2012
whoa.
Nov 22nd 2012
RE: NHL Lockout - Holiday Edition
Nov 22nd 2012
IMO it will hurt them if they lose the season this time
Nov 22nd 2012
The last hope? Player and owner-only meeting on Tuesday
Dec 02nd 2012
kinda weird if you think about it
Dec 02nd 2012
      direct communication, need as much as possible right now
Dec 02nd 2012
I'm hearing rumors it might be resolved tonight, anybody else heard...
Jan 01st 2013
Meeting Wednesday, I mean it will be any day now but I doubt today
Jan 02nd 2013

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Thu Nov-22-12 12:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's pretty sad..."
In response to Reply # 0

I miss the Sharks... I miss the rest of the NHL...

But at the same time, the NHL is making me dislike their brand...

God Loves Ugly
2880 posts
Thu Nov-22-12 08:46 AM

3. "That is exactly where I am at with it"
In response to Reply # 1

I can't even count the number of conversations I have had about the legitimacy and greatness of the NHL...

And now, I'm just not caring about it like I used to. I'll always come back to the game, but I'm certainly not going to be as invested as I was. I can't handle a lockout every 5-10 years.

They are making themselves so irrelevant at this point.

Go Wings.

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Nov-22-12 11:54 AM

5. "Yup."
In response to Reply # 1

I'm a huge Caps fan and will go back to watching, but damn this made me lose what tiny respect I had for the owners.

Bettman's been dead to me since forever.

https://i.imgur.com/ZkkZekl.gif

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Nov-22-12 01:20 AM

2. "I am not totally up on the decertification talk. I will say one good thi..."
In response to Reply # 0

is that anyone i have talked to from the word GO here has said they expected a late december start. perhaps the nhl will open on boxing day the way the nba opened on christmas.

three management types, two equipment type guys and half a dozen players predicted as much just in casual convos i have had about it. i honestly have not been doing much reporting during the lockout (what i have has been junior players) but i have stayed up with some guys. the kings and ducks were, in large part, at TSC today but i didn't have much reason to go. talked to a couple kings recently, they seemed literally confused by the delay talks and some of the infighting on both sides.

i still think the season can be saved. i would love to see a 50% schedule and then all 32 teams make the playoffs.

on the other hand, i would almost be relieved if they canceled the season. it would suck if it meant we were robbed of another year of selanne, alfredsson, brodeur, jagr, whitney et al, but there is at least a decent chance any given guy (and maybe all of them) return. the layoff is good for old legs, shit it saved selanne's career once and definitely extended whitney's (among others). i don't like partial seasons and gimmicks, kind of an insult to past champions. plus i am tired of being dicked around!

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

God Loves Ugly
2880 posts
Thu Nov-22-12 08:57 AM

4. "Thanks for the insight"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah, I was just reading about the decertification word being tossed around. Curious what the outcome would be if they went through with it. I know it is more about the message than actually disbanding or whatever.

I do truly believe there is hope for that December start, but someone has to stop being a dick about it and get it done. They already lost what would probably be the biggest Winter Classic yet, which to me has pretty much made this season a joke already.

All I can think about is that on local talk radio the NHL lockout is just not being covered. No one cares. And now I'm reading that the newest proposal is for 5 years. FIVE YEARS??? Why, so we can have another lockout over a couple grand per player?

Go Wings.

smutsboy
33301 posts
Thu Nov-22-12 11:55 AM

6. "whoa."
In response to Reply # 2

>then all 32 teams make the playoffs.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Nov-22-12 12:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: NHL Lockout - Holiday Edition"
In response to Reply # 0

in the early days of the lock out Bettman gave a really smug answer to the question if he was scared fans wouldn't return this time. He said we have the best fans in the world and they will be back. I read an article last month showing every teams ticket sales the year before the lock out and the year after. Very few teams had a decrease. Most decreases were next to nothing. If I remember right the Kings lost 50 ticket sales over the previous season. It took baseball years to recover from 1994. Hockey fans just return to business as usual once the gates open.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu Nov-22-12 04:25 PM

8. "IMO it will hurt them if they lose the season this time"
In response to Reply # 7

a lot of teams didnt have good numbers then, more do now. they also came back with new rules and a sense of novelty. don't have that this time.

the hardcore fans will send a message in the established markets, some of the wobblier ones will suffer from out of sight out of mind effect.

IMO it will be a huge mistake to let this go all the way.

God Loves Ugly
2880 posts
Sun Dec-02-12 06:14 PM

9. "The last hope? Player and owner-only meeting on Tuesday"
In response to Reply # 0

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/report-owners-players-will-meet-on-tuesday

Owners -- Burkle (PIT), Chipman (WIN), Edwards (CAL), Jacobs (BOS), Tanenbaum (TOR), Vinik (TB).

Supposedly no Bettman or Fehr

Go Wings.

smutsboy
33301 posts
Sun Dec-02-12 06:20 PM

10. "kinda weird if you think about it"
In response to Reply # 9

what's the implication of doing it without your negotiators and leaders?

those guys are the problem?

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun Dec-02-12 06:44 PM

11. "direct communication, need as much as possible right now"
In response to Reply # 10

there's infighting on both sides and the representative system has obviously been failing. kind of an odd mix of owners, i am a bit surprised snider and leopold missed opportunities to get involved.

i've reached the point where i'd be relieved it they cancel the season. super short season packed into too little time? pass, that's lame, insult to past champions.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Jan-01-13 11:23 PM

12. "I'm hearing rumors it might be resolved tonight, anybody else heard..."
In response to Reply # 0

anything?

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jan-02-13 12:04 AM

13. "Meeting Wednesday, I mean it will be any day now but I doubt today"
In response to Reply # 12

I would expect the NHLPA to counter and then the next offer they receive to basically be what's getting done. They still have a week before the deadline.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2076565 Previous topic | Next topic