Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2501758

Subject: "Colangelo's first move: Hiring D'antoni as associate head coach" Previous topic | Next topic
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43361 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 10:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Colangelo's first move: Hiring D'antoni as associate head coach"

after giving Brett Brown a 2 yr extension seemingly for job security?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--76ers-in-talks-to-hire-mike-d-antoni-as-associate-head-coach-053402648.html

Sources: 76ers in talks to hire Mike D'Antoni as associate head coach
Adrian Wojnarowski By Adrian Wojnarowski
9 hours ago
Yahoo Sports

New Philadelphia 76ers chairman Jerry Colangelo is beginning to impose his influence on the franchise, engaging Mike D'Antoni in talks to join Brett Brown's staff as associate head coach, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

D'Antoni, a four-time head coach in the NBA, has been discussing with Colangelo and Brown a role on the Sixers' bench that could begin later this month, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

View photo
.Mike D'Antoni last coached in the NBA during the 2013-14 season with the Lakers. (AP)
Mike D'Antoni last coached in the NBA during the 2013-14 season with the Lakers. (AP)
D'Antoni, 64, and Colangelo have a longstanding relationship that includes successful runs together with the Phoenix Suns and USA Basketball. D'Antoni has been the revolutionary offensive mind of the modern NBA era, clearing the path for faster, smaller offenses that thrive on the 3-point shot.
The timing of Brown's two-year extension on Friday, a deal that extends through the end of the 2018-19 season, has apparently eased any concerns that D'Antoni would be brought to the Sixers as some kind of head coach in waiting. D'Antoni wants to be a head coach again, and his candidacy elsewhere could be enhanced if he's back on a bench in a coaching capacity.

With the offseason departure of top assistant coach Chad Iske to the Sacramento Kings, there was concern Brown needed to add more experience to his staff, league sources said.

The Sixers are engaged in a tanking strategy that has largely gutted the roster of NBA talent, leaving them losers of 23 of 24 games to start the season. Philadelphia ownership hired Colangelo to preside over president and general manager Sam Hinkie, although Colangelo won't be dealing in the day-to-day operations of the front office. Despite the demotion, Hinkie is trying to stay on the job.

After the Los Angeles Lakers let go of D'Antoni at the end of the 2013-14 season, he's spent most of his time living in West Virginia. D'Antoni reached the Western Conference finals twice in his five seasons as the Suns coach (2003-08) and reached the playoffs twice again – once each with the New York Knicks and the Los Angeles Lakers.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Let the cronyism commence!
Dec 12th 2015
how does pringles keep getting gigs
Dec 12th 2015
he is in the carousel, firmly so
Dec 12th 2015
His teams have good offenses. This team is terrible on offense.
Dec 12th 2015
yeah I'm in favor of this
Dec 12th 2015
not sure.
Dec 12th 2015
      Lol, you saved me the key strokes
Dec 12th 2015
      Not to mention his involvement with Team USA.
Dec 12th 2015
Lolz
Dec 12th 2015
he's gonna have Nerlens shooting 3's in the corner
Dec 12th 2015
Stretch 4!
Dec 12th 2015
      Nerlens is going to be the first ever "point center" in the Association
Dec 12th 2015
So it IS TRUE. Once you pop you can't stop.
Dec 12th 2015
Shells, this is 100000x worse than us hiring Schiano
Dec 12th 2015
man, just when you thought the laughs were over
Dec 12th 2015

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 10:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Let the cronyism commence!"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 11:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "how does pringles keep getting gigs"
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 11:55 AM

3. "he is in the carousel, firmly so"
In response to Reply # 2

has he been so bad that he should never coach again? he was in two shitty situations in prominent markets but he still has the suns gig, usa experience and more.

i dont love the hire here as a sixers fan but no one can deny that the team is horrible on offense and you had to figure some veteran coach was on his way along with colangelo.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86684 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 12:08 PM

6. "His teams have good offenses. This team is terrible on offense."
In response to Reply # 2

Seems like a perfect fit to me imo.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 12:52 PM

8. "yeah I'm in favor of this"
In response to Reply # 6

I mean, it literally cannot get any worse.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 01:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "not sure."
In response to Reply # 2

probably because he's one of the 2 most influential nba coaches of the last 10 years, and an offensive mastermind whose system literally revolutionized the league. just a guess.

you don't think a guy with d'antoni's resume is qualified to be an assistant coach on the worst team in the association? there are LOTS of way less accomplished coaches on the league's benches.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 04:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Lol, you saved me the key strokes "
In response to Reply # 9

Co-sign

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86684 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 05:23 PM

11. "Not to mention his involvement with Team USA."
In response to Reply # 9

K said plenty of times that D'Antoni's offensive coaching skills helped them secure the gold.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59209 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 12:00 PM

4. "Lolz"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 12:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "he's gonna have Nerlens shooting 3's in the corner"
In response to Reply # 0

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 12:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Stretch 4!"
In response to Reply # 5

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

guru0509
Charter member
45418 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 08:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Nerlens is going to be the first ever "point center" in the Association"
In response to Reply # 7

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44970 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 05:53 PM

12. "So it IS TRUE. Once you pop you can't stop. "
In response to Reply # 0

guru0509
Charter member
45418 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 07:59 PM

13. "Shells, this is 100000x worse than us hiring Schiano"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132221 posts
Sat Dec-12-15 08:51 PM

15. "man, just when you thought the laughs were over"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2501758 Previous topic | Next topic