Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2481984

Subject: "Insider request: How good has Jim Harbaugh made Michigan? (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
brown sugar
Member since Jan 22nd 2005
4536 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 09:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Insider request: How good has Jim Harbaugh made Michigan? (link)"
Wed Oct-07-15 09:01 AM by brown sugar

http://espn.go.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/13817554/how-much-michigan-wolverines-improved-coach-jim-harbaugh

<-- BAUGH SO HARD

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Insider request: How good has Jim Harbaugh made Michigan? (link)
Oct 07th 2015
We shall not discuss "peruball"
Oct 07th 2015
cant wait for the game vs Michigan State nm
Oct 07th 2015
Cant over look this dude:
Oct 07th 2015
      LOL
Oct 07th 2015
      This has to be his last year there.
Oct 07th 2015
      agreed... lets worry about NW first...
Oct 07th 2015
Thanks!
Oct 07th 2015
Who is their defensive coordinator?
Oct 07th 2015
DJ Durkin..former DC for the Gators
Oct 07th 2015
      they have co-DC titles
Oct 07th 2015
           They do?
Oct 07th 2015
                thats how it was characterized before, but not anymore i guess
Oct 07th 2015

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Insider request: How good has Jim Harbaugh made Michigan? (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

Jim Harbaugh won the offseason with satellite camps, shirtless "Peruball" and celebrity Twitter shoutouts. But there were doubts about how much winning Harbaugh would do when his first Michigan team took the field.

The answer so far: plenty. After opening with a 24-17 loss at Utah -- a setback that looks better by the week -- Michigan has dominated its past four opponents, outscoring them 119-7 in the past 15 quarters. The Wolverines have recorded consecutive shutouts for the first time in 15 years, and their defense has held opponents scoreless in 14 of the past 16 quarters. Their offense isn't a juggernaut, but Harbaugh has implemented a formidable power run game led by De'Veon Smith and an improved line.

The expectations for Year 1 of the Harbaugh era are being rapidly revised. Can Michigan challenge rivals Ohio State and Michigan State in the Big Ten East Division? How much should we buy into the past four weeks, as Michigan has defeated only one opponent (BYU) with a winning record? What's Michigan's ceiling this year, and what could stop the Wolverines from reaching it?

We asked coaches who have faced Michigan -- or soon will in the Big Ten -- to assess Harbaugh and the Wolverines as they prepare for their Big Ten home opener against No. 13 Northwestern. Coaches were granted anonymity in order to speak freely.

Coaches: Harbaugh effective in blending schemes, developing personnel

Expectations for Year 1 of the Jim Harbaugh era are being rapidly revised. Russell Isabella/USA TODAY Sports
It's convenient to say every successful new coach reinvents the culture, but Harbaugh hasn't really done that at Michigan. His schematic philosophy -- power running, clock control, punishing defense up front -- largely mirrors that of his predecessor, Brady Hoke.

Harbaugh is simply executing the plan better than Hoke did.

Michigan is second nationally in points allowed (7.6 PPG) and pass efficiency defense (75.6 rating), fifth in rushing defense (71.4 YPG allowed) and first in third-down defense (19.4 percent conversions). After struggling to rush the ball against Utah, the Wolverines have 931 yards and 12 touchdowns on the ground during their win streak. Michigan's offense isn't flashy, but it's balanced (1,007 rush yards and 956 pass yards).

The Wolverines also bleed the clock, ranking seventh nationally in possession time (34:20 average).

"They're as good as anybody in the nation at matching their offense and defense together," a head coach who has faced Michigan said. "There's a lot of teams that go a million miles an hour and they hurt their own defense. But knows who they are. They're going to run the football, they'll huddle, they don't care about being ugly, they'll do it and they're so good on defense, it'll frustrate some teams.

"Even if they end up punting, they get two first downs, they'll make 25 yards, they'll take five minutes off the clock and then they're going to punt. They'll win a lot of football games doing that."

A defensive assistant who faced Michigan said the Wolverines' personnel is better than expected, especially Smith at running back. Hoke brought in top-10 recruiting classes in 2012 and 2013, which made his middling results in recent years all the more perplexing.

"Their schemes were really sound," the coach said. "They had some run game stuff we hadn't seen yet, some things they did to use their tight ends that they hadn't shown. They're a special group on defense -- fast, strong, physical. Their offense, the way that they control the ball, they're going to be in every single game this year."

Three opposing head coaches and an opposing defensive coordinator said Michigan's offensive approach, built around the run and clock control, wears down defenses. "Not many people see it," one head coach said.

They say it's no mystery why Michigan has dominated the second quarter (61-7) and the fourth (36-14).

"It's typical Jim," the opposing defensive coordinator said. "He's stubborn about running the football. It's so different with all their big personnel. It's Jim's mentality to make you uncomfortable. You have to buck up and hang in there."

Jake Rudock could hold Michigan back

Coaches had mixed feelings about Michigan's offensive potential with Jake Rudock at quarterback. Leon Halip/Getty Images
Opposing coaches gushed over Harbaugh and many elements of Michigan's team, but their reviews of quarterback Jake Rudock weren't overly complimentary. Rudock, a graduate transfer from Iowa, threw three interceptions, including a pick-six, in the Utah loss. His six interceptions eclipse his total from all of last season at Iowa, and he ranks 59th nationally in Total QBR.

Coach 1: "He's OK. It'll be tough because some teams will force them to have to throw the ball and that's where they'll struggle."

Coach 2: "He's going to hold them back, but he's the best they've got, right? That's why he's not the starter at Iowa. The other guy is better."

Coach 3: "I don't think you really need a great quarterback in that scheme. If we got them in a situation where we knew they were going to pass it, that's when I thought he'd struggle a little bit. He's not that bad."

Coach 4: "Their quarterback is asked to do the things he can do, which is pretty limited."

As Coach 3 noted, Michigan isn't asking too much of Rudock in its system, and when it does, he has capable weapons like tight end Jake Butt and wide receivers Amara Darboh and Jehu Chesson, both of whom have made significant strides. He had a solid performance against BYU -- his only game without a turnover -- and has become more effective as a runner in recent weeks.

An opposing defensive coordinator noted that Rudock, who didn't arrive at Michigan until after spring practice, is still learning a new offense.

"I watched a little bit of and it looks like he became a lot more comfortable," the coach said. "They had a few more play-action passes in. He'll get better. Jim does a great job of coaching quarterbacks."

An opposing head coach described Rudock, who has 30 career starts (25 at Iowa, five at Michigan), as "a good player with a s---load of games behind him."

"He's not going to make 10 mistakes that cost you the game," the coach added.

Michigan has what it takes to challenge Ohio State, Michigan State

Jabrill Peppers is a key part of Michigan's impressive defense. Rob Carr/Getty Images
Michigan's strong start has many looking at the Wolverines differently. Before the season, nine wins looked like a long shot given a tricky schedule and the lingering personnel issues.

ESPN's Football Power Index projects Michigan to win each of its remaining games except the finale against Ohio State. Although the Wolverines have beaten some likely bottom-feeders, their 31-0 blanking of BYU turned heads. The Cougars didn't eclipse 100 yards until the final minute. "That doesn't happen to BYU very often," an opposing coach said.

"They're going to be a lot better recordwise than a lot of people thought in Harbaugh's first year," said a defensive assistant who faced Michigan.

The defense is the biggest reason why. Although a Big Ten coach noted that Michigan's defense "definitely wasn't the problem" under Hoke -- the unit ranked in the top 20 nationally in three of Hoke's four seasons -- the Wolverines have more playmakers now.

Defensive backs Jourdan Lewis and Jabrill Peppers both are playing at an All-Big Ten level, and five defensive linemen already have at least 3.5 tackles for loss, led by tackle Chris Wormley with seven.

"That was the best defense by far that we had played all year," said a defensive assistant who has faced three Power 5 opponents.

Smith's emergence as a featured back also raises the ceiling for Michigan. Hoke had two 1,000-yard rushers his first season -- quarterback Denard Robinson and running back Fitzgerald Toussaint -- but he failed to develop a formidable back afterward. Smith ran for 126 yards against Oregon State and 125 against BYU.

Michigan missed Smith last week against Maryland, recording only 43 rush yards on 16 carries in the first half before finding some room in the third quarter.

"He's a freaking load now," an opposing coach said of Smith. "He's a critical piece to the puzzle."

The schedule suddenly doesn't look so daunting. Both Ohio State and Michigan State are unbeaten, but both have looked sluggish and both must visit Michigan Stadium. Northwestern should provide a good test, and Michigan still must visit Minnesota, Indiana and Penn State.

But just five games into Harbaugh's tenure, Michigan could be back in the Big Ten title hunt.

"When you put their style of play and how it's coordinated, it's going to give them a chance against every opponent that they play," an opposing coach said. "I've seen their schedule and who they're going to play, and Michigan State and Ohio State, if defense plays the way I think it can, who knows?"

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66766 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 12:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "We shall not discuss "peruball""
In response to Reply # 1

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

guru0509
Charter member
45430 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 12:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "cant wait for the game vs Michigan State nm"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Ceej
66766 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Cant over look this dude: "
In response to Reply # 2

https://vine.co/v/e2W6VbaHmwK

guru0509
Charter member
45430 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 12:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 3

true, NW is playing their asses off as of late.

I'm honestly surprised they've been able to retain Pat Fitzgerald for this long...I get that he's an alum but he's gonna be getting some major offers this offseason

-------------------

Ceej
66766 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 12:34 PM

5. "This has to be his last year there."
In response to Reply # 4

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 12:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "agreed... lets worry about NW first..."
In response to Reply # 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

brown sugar
Member since Jan 22nd 2005
4536 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 12:36 PM

6. "Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 0

<-- BAUGH SO HARD

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 02:56 PM

9. "Who is their defensive coordinator?"
In response to Reply # 0

guru0509
Charter member
45430 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 03:31 PM

10. "DJ Durkin..former DC for the Gators"
In response to Reply # 9

I believe Greg Matison is also still involved to an extent

-------------------

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35324 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 04:29 PM

11. "they have co-DC titles"
In response to Reply # 10

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

C. Thelonius
Member since Mar 14th 2008
825 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 06:59 PM

12. "They do?"
In response to Reply # 11

I coulda swore he was just the linebackers coach now, even by official title.

Edit: ok nah, he's the DL coach. Durkin actually doubles as LB coach
http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/coaches-m-footbl.html

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35324 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 07:55 PM

13. "thats how it was characterized before, but not anymore i guess"
In response to Reply # 12

Probably to prevent the idea that Mattison was being demoted

I feel like ive read that he does have input into the overall D tho

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2481984 Previous topic | Next topic