Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2318238

Subject: "Pac vs Canelo? Swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14983 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pac vs Canelo? Swipe"
Wed Apr-23-14 03:12 PM by las raises

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79986130/

Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions hasn’t worked on a fight of substance with his former promoter and on-again, off-again rival, Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions, in five years.

But De La Hoya, declaring himself “back and better than ever” as the president of Golden Boy, told The Times on Tuesday that he recently engaged Arum in conversation about ending boxing’s cold war that has blocked several attractive fights from happening.

One fight that De La Hoya says he’s interested in pursuing is a super-bout between Arum’s star fighter, Manny Pacquiao, and Golden Boy’s top star, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.

“Anything’s possible,” De La Hoya said. “That’s one of the reasons I was extending the olive branch. The fans want to see these kinds of fights.”

Alvarez is scheduled to fight Cuba’s Erislandy Lara on July 12 in a 154-pound bout at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, but said he wants another fight later this year. Pacquiao said after winning a convincing decision over Timothy Bradley on April 12 at MGM that he wants to fight again in Las Vegas late this year.

Pacquiao, the World Boxing Organization welterweight champion, has previously fought at 154 pounds.

Golden Boy Chief Executive Richard Schaefer has also worked on all of Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s fights since 2007, but as for the idea of a Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. bout, De La Hoya said, “I don’t speak for Mayweather.”

Arum’s strain with Golden Boy has been mostly with Schaefer, with whom De La Hoya was having his own differences after the former world-champion fighter emerged from rehab.

“I’d be happy to talk to Oscar about any subject in boxing he wishes to talk to me about,” Arum said. “All this baloney about a cold war has never really applied to Oscar and myself. We can talk bout any subject in boxing rationally. … We might disagree on a particular point, but we can talk. I hope we’ll get together and have some significant meetings in the near future.”

De La Hoya checked into rehab last September, the week that Alvarez was defeated by Mayweather in the richest fight in boxing history.

“I was dealing with personal issues, but I’m back,” De La Hoya said. “Golden Boy is my baby. Boxing is my passion, boxing is my life. This is what I’ll be focusing on, growing the brand, making the fights people want to see.”

He said that his strain with Schaefer has been ironed out, with Schaefer getting an extended contract until 2018, and that “everything is peaches and cream.”

De La Hoya also made it clear his company philosophy now is that he wants to try to work with Arum.

“If anyone with Golden Boy has any differences with Bob, it’s on them,” De La Hoya said. “I have nothing against Bob and I feel making fights with Bob is beneficial to the fans and the market.”

Arum said he anticipates more talks with the 1992 Olympic gold medalist who became a massive pay-per-view success before losing to Pacquiao in 2008 and retiring.

“I’ve always had a good relationship with Oscar except when other people interfered,” Arum said. “Oscar and I got along famously and I think we will continue to in the future.

“Remember, we had a long and successful, very profitable relationship. It was a very happy time in both of our lives. To revisit that and to renew the relationship is something I look forward to.”

De La Hoya agreed.

“Bob, what he did for my career was amazing and I appreciate it, am so grateful. I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t extend an olive branch, end the cold war and make fights together. I will be making calls in the near future and we’ll make an event together very soon.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
reads like Arum sees an empty stable and is begging DLH to keep
Apr 23rd 2014
how did you get that when DLH initiated the talks?
Apr 23rd 2014
      Who's calling who?
Apr 23rd 2014
           ok so ur just making shit up then
Apr 23rd 2014
                lol clearly
Apr 23rd 2014
                Spence is a more interesting prospect than Hart
Apr 24th 2014
                     depends on how your career is managed
Apr 24th 2014
this gives credence to the rumors that schaefer and haymon are trying to
Apr 23rd 2014
canelo would punish pac. nm
Apr 23rd 2014
lol
Apr 23rd 2014
Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer doesn't want to deal with Bob Arum
Apr 24th 2014
welp the Cold War is officially all GBP fault now
Apr 24th 2014
      RE: welp the Cold War is officially all GBP fault now
Apr 24th 2014
           yea that rumor has been going around for a minute
Apr 24th 2014
If floyd beats maidana i'm his mandatory (c) keith thurman
Apr 24th 2014
If Thurman continues his present trajectory, would love to see it
Apr 24th 2014
Step 8: De La Hoya makes amends
Apr 24th 2014
Schaefer doesn't want to deal with Bob Arum (swipe) LA Times
Apr 25th 2014

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "reads like Arum sees an empty stable and is begging DLH to keep"
In response to Reply # 0

him in the game

Canelo vs Lara, that's a good one

IDK, Canelo looked far from elite vs Floyd (but so does everybody)

Lara is gonna be a problem for him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "how did you get that when DLH initiated the talks? "
In response to Reply # 1

yall niggas got the narratives preprogrammed in your heads regardless of the presented facts huh

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:39 PM

5. "Who's calling who?"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Apr-23-14 03:46 PM by bentagain

http://www.toprank.com/fighters

http://www.goldenboypromotions.com/fighters/

I imagine DLH got out of rehab and had fifty eleven hundred messages from Arum, on some...

Please, Please, Please...

c'mon

GBP doesn't need Top Rank, outside of Pac

and from what I've heard, Pac's contract with Top Rank expires at the end of this year

GBP is calling to make fights...with...Mikey Garcia?

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:47 PM

6. "ok so ur just making shit up then"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Apr-23-14 03:52 PM by southphillyman

>I imagine

dude explicitly said he reached out to arum because he wants to make better matches and that's not enough for u huh
bwhahahahahahah
convince yourself bob arum is home miserable and crying himself to sleep every night with his 10s of millions of dollars if it makes you feel better about not liking him i guess

btw top rank has half of the top 10 p4p fighters in it's stable
with young up and coming BLACK fighters like jesse hart and crawford waiting in the wing
GBP has what? mayweather + canelo and a bunch of bums for them to feast on
the rest of their prospects are probably never going to fight floyd and just cannibalize each other at 147 (garcia,broner,thruman,porter)

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "lol clearly"
In response to Reply # 6

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 08:36 AM

9. "Spence is a more interesting prospect than Hart"
In response to Reply # 6

i still blame hip-hop.

southphillyman
90059 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 09:12 AM

10. "depends on how your career is managed"
In response to Reply # 9

if spence is managed by haymon that's an advantage i guess
he certainly couldn't beat hart in the ring for obvious reaons
maybe one day he could see harts young bol julian williams though.

southphillyman
90059 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:25 PM

2. "this gives credence to the rumors that schaefer and haymon are trying to"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-23-14 03:31 PM by southphillyman

break away from GBP
oscar kind of played himself by not doing anything about haymon managing the majority of GBP fighters
besides canelo what good GBP fighters does haymon NOT manage?

anyway manny vs. canelo kind of sounds like a stretch to me
but canelo vs. ggg could happen
or kid chocolate vs. ggg , mikey garcia vs. who ever etc
both floyd and manny are only going to be around for another 3-4 yrs
both promoters would be seriously playing themselves if they didn't start working together after the major cash cows move on
DLH is smart enough to realize this

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:27 PM

4. "canelo would punish pac. nm"
In response to Reply # 0

does it really matter?

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42818 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 04:06 PM

8. "lol"
In response to Reply # 4

michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 03:14 PM

11. "Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer doesn't want to deal with Bob Arum"
In response to Reply # 0

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer doesn't want to deal with Bob Arum

By Lance Pugmire

8:33 AM PDT, April 24, 2014

There’s a substantial difference of opinion between the man who runs Golden Boy Promotions and the former world-champion boxer the Los Angeles-based company is named after.

A day after Golden Boy President Oscar De La Hoya said he wanted to re-start business with his former promoter and rival, Top Rank promotions Chairman Bob Arum, Golden Boy’s Chief Executive Richard Schaefer said he doesn’t.

In a lengthy telephone conversation with The Times on Tuesday, De La Hoya said, “If anyone with Golden Boy has any differences with Bob, it’s on them. I have nothing against Bob and I feel making fights with Bob is beneficial to the fans and the market.”

“Well, I guess it’s on me,” Schaefer told The Times on Wednesday. “I have no interest in that.”

Golden Boy and Top Rank haven’t worked on a co-promotion fight of significance since 2009, when Top Rank’s Manny Pacquiao defeated Golden Boy’s Ricky Hatton by second-round knockout.

The companies are being brought together for a June title fight between Golden Boy’s Gary Russell Jr. and Top Rank’s Vasyl Lomachenko only by purse bid, and Golden Boy is the primary promoter.

Arum and Schaefer have long battled, Arum resentful of the perceived wedge the former Swiss banker has driven between him and his former star fighter, and Schaefer embittered by Arum’s sometimes hostile business dealings.

“I’ve given Bob several opportunities, and a leopard never changes his spots,” Schaefer said. “With Oscar, it’s sort of like, one day he hates him, the next day he loves him, the next day he rips him, then he loves him again.

“That’s OK, they can play those games. But what I’m doing, I’m running Golden Boy, and I think I’m doing a pretty good job, having built it into the leading boxing promotion company in the world. Last year was an all-time record year, and it did not involve Bob Arum or HBO. I’m proud of what I’m doing and I want to continue doing it.”

The Golden Boy-Top Rank cold war, however, has stopped several attractive bouts from being negotiated, starting with Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr.

De La Hoya said Tuesday he’d like to pursue a Pacquiao-Saul “Canelo” Alvarez mega-bout, and that he anticipates conversations with Arum about making bouts in the near future.

Arum said he was happy to have such discussions, saying the cold-war “baloney” never had anything to do with him and De La Hoya.

“Last I checked, I was CEO,” Schaefer said. “Unless Oscar wants to change that. … I’ve been running Golden Boy since the beginning. If he wants to change that, since he’s the majority shareholder, and decides he wants to fire me, I can’t stop that.”

Despite recent rumors of a possible rift that could force Schaefer out, he said he’s not worried about being fired.

“I’m confident of who I am and what I’ve achieved,” Schaefer said.

De La Hoya said Schaefer is under contract until 2018, and described recent turbulence between the pair as behind them, with everything “peaches and cream” now. Well … “I have no interest in dealing with Bob Arum,” Schaefer said.

Could De La Hoya then tell Schaefer to sit out of the negotiations and let a Golden Boy-Top Rank fight proceed?

“That’s not the way businesses work,” Schaefer said. “You hire someone to run your business, you let them run the business. You don’t tell your CEO to sit this one out. You either have them run your business or you don’t.”

Schaefer said his business model doesn’t include plans to make fights with Top Rank.

“We’ve delivered big fights,” Schaefer said. “Arum is up and down, switch on and off. You saw him ripping MGM . Then he thinks he can come back and say, ‘Hey guys, I want to make a fight here.’ It doesn’t work like that. He rips Mayweather, says people should boycott his fight, then says we should sit down and talk about fight. It doesn’t work like that.

“Maybe in his mind it’s OK because it’s about money to be made. But not everything is about money. It’s about relationships. And I value relationships more than I value money.

“There’s opportunities, but it doesn’t work. I turned from that and I’ll never look back.”

As for De La Hoya’s push, Schaefer said, “I’m the CEO. What’s higher, the CEO or the president? He’s the president. It says in my contract I’m the CEO and I run the business.”

www.pacifictrainingcenter.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/San-Diego-CA/Pacific-Training-Center-Boxing-Muay-Thai-Fitness/145216788833188

southphillyman
90059 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 03:23 PM

12. "welp the Cold War is officially all GBP fault now"
In response to Reply # 11

lol
even if schaefer feels that way it's kind of dumb to publicly take that stance after Oscar and Arum said they are willing to make matches again
not sure how any fan of the sport could embrace that position.

todd duboef negotiates most of the top rank fights anyway and was the point of contact during the original manny/floyd talks. not arum, so all this personal beef excuse stuff is weird

michaelo
Charter member
7935 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 03:42 PM

14. "RE: welp the Cold War is officially all GBP fault now"
In response to Reply # 12

a couple of weeks ago i was telling my biz partner that schaeffer would leave GBP and join Mayweather Promotions in some capacity (idk where that would leave Ellerbe).

obviously GBP and TR working together again is great. problem for GBP is that Oscar isn't really a business man and not that bright. so he'd obviously have to hire another CEO, that knows boxing.

it will be interesting to see how this plays out with so many GBP fighters signed with al haymon. the relationships between schaeffer, haymon, and mayweather.

i could see schaeffer taking the stance (which it looks like he already is) of "i built this motherfkr Oscar! i held it down while you were coked up wearing pantyhose and shit!"

to which he would have a point. the thing i don't like about schaeffer is that he's supposed to be this dignified swiss banker. but he plays into all the stupid, adolescent drama and politics in boxing. he tries to make arum out like the devil, but he's just a full of shit as bob.

should be interesting.

www.pacifictrainingcenter.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/#!/pages/San-Diego-CA/Pacific-Training-Center-Boxing-Muay-Thai-Fitness/145216788833188

southphillyman
90059 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 03:52 PM

15. "yea that rumor has been going around for a minute"
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Apr-24-14 03:53 PM by southphillyman

not sure how it would work if it actually happened
GBP would probably start making fights with TR and Haymon Promotions (lol) would probably stick to their in house shit

southphillyman
90059 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 03:34 PM

13. "If floyd beats maidana i'm his mandatory (c) keith thurman"
In response to Reply # 0

kinda of hints that he expects floyd to riddick bowe the belt to avoid fighting him, hmmmmm
if what he says about guerrero and porter is true, smh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3stcUQ0Awlo

i really like that some of these GBP are starting to demand good fights
quillen named names last week which is rare now days
will make it hard for haymon and his lap dog schaefer to make shitty in house matches

Vex_id
Charter member
65627 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 04:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "If Thurman continues his present trajectory, would love to see it"
In response to Reply # 13

But the "mandatory" thing is tricky - and sometimes
the fighter has up to 18 months to satisfy the mandatory,
if it's enforced at all.

-->

www.realmdynamics.com

We Activate Humans.

abstractionism
Member since Nov 20th 2009
320 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 08:54 PM

17. "Step 8: De La Hoya makes amends"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.boxingscene.com/de-la-hoya-focused-on-patching-things-up-with-arum--77067

Oscar De La Hoya was back in his role as the president of Golden Boy Promotions, leading Thursday's news conference to promote Saturday's triple-header at StubHub Center in Carson on Showtime.

Before the news conference, De La Hoya spoke about how he initiated a conversation with his former promoter and rival Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions recently.

"Absolutely," De La Hoya said. "It was a must. You know, I have a program that I'm following that is making me a bigger person, a better person, a person that is honest, a person that really just wants to make amends to whoever I owe amends to and I owe amends to Bob Arum. Bob Arum has been very instrumental in my career. I'm never going to forget about that. Now that we're promoters why not work together for the best and better of the fans of the sport? That's what we must do."

De La Hoya said he didn't talk about specific fights with Arum. Obviously, one of the biggest fights that could be made would be Manny Pacquiao, who is Top Rank's biggest star, vs. Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, who is Golden Boy Promotions's biggest star.

"What I'm doing is I've extended the olive branch (to Arum), you know, for the good of the sport, for the good of Golden Boy and Top Rank, and for the fans in general," De La Hoya said. "Why not? This is what has to be done. We're not talking about fights right now. We're just making that cordial introduction once again to each other and we're saying, 'Hey, let's let the past be the past. Let's work together for the sport.'"

Golden Boy and Top Rank haven't co-promoted a major fight in five years.

"I can't think about the past. I can't live in the future, but I want to live right now. And right now is extending that olive branch for the better of the sport. You know, let's make these fights happen. Why not? The fans deserve it. The fans want to see these fights. Let's do it. I'm telling Bob Arum, 'Hey, we can do this.' I want to give him a hug and tell him, 'Hey, thank you. Thank you for what you did throughout my whole career.' I haven't done that. I'm going to do it. And then, maybe, who knows what happens after that."

Despite De La Hoya's push for a positive relationship with Arum, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer has stated in several interviews on BoxingScene that he doesn't have any interest in having a working relationship with Arum.

BLACK_ADAM
Member since Mar 21st 2006
4791 posts
Fri Apr-25-14 08:29 AM

18. "Schaefer doesn't want to deal with Bob Arum (swipe) LA Times"
In response to Reply # 0

"Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer doesn't want to deal with Bob Arum"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-richard-schaefer-bob-arum-20140424,0,1419916.story#ixzz2zu8EDgQV

By Lance Pugmire
April 24, 2014, 8:33 a.m.

There’s a substantial difference of opinion between the man who runs Golden Boy Promotions and the former world-champion boxer the Los Angeles-based company is named after.
A day after Golden Boy President Oscar De La Hoya said he wanted to re-start business with his former promoter and rival, Top Rank promotions Chairman Bob Arum, Golden Boy’s Chief Executive Richard Schaefer said he doesn’t.
In a lengthy telephone conversation with The Times on Tuesday, De La Hoya said, “If anyone with Golden Boy has any differences with Bob, it’s on them. I have nothing against Bob and I feel making fights with Bob is beneficial to the fans and the market.”
“Well, I guess it’s on me,” Schaefer told The Times on Wednesday. “I have no interest in that.”
Golden Boy and Top Rank haven’t worked on a co-promotion fight of significance since 2009, when Top Rank’s Manny Pacquiao defeated Golden Boy’s Ricky Hatton by second-round knockout.
The companies are being brought together for a June title fight between Golden Boy’s Gary Russell Jr. and Top Rank’s Vasyl Lomachenko only by purse bid, and Golden Boy is the primary promoter.
Arum and Schaefer have long battled, Arum resentful of the perceived wedge the former Swiss banker has driven between him and his former star fighter, and Schaefer embittered by Arum’s sometimes hostile business dealings.
“I’ve given Bob several opportunities, and a leopard never changes his spots,” Schaefer said. “With Oscar, it’s sort of like, one day he hates him, the next day he loves him, the next day he rips him, then he loves him again.
“That’s OK, they can play those games. But what I’m doing, I’m running Golden Boy, and I think I’m doing a pretty good job, having built it into the leading boxing promotion company in the world. Last year was an all-time record year, and it did not involve Bob Arum or HBO. I’m proud of what I’m doing and I want to continue doing it.”
The Golden Boy-Top Rank cold war, however, has stopped several attractive bouts from being negotiated, starting with Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr.
De La Hoya said Tuesday he’d like to pursue a Pacquiao-Saul “Canelo” Alvarez mega-bout, and that he anticipates conversations with Arum about making bouts in the near future.
Arum said he was happy to have such discussions, saying the cold-war “baloney” never had anything to do with him and De La Hoya.
“Last I checked, I was CEO,” Schaefer said. “Unless Oscar wants to change that. … I’ve been running Golden Boy since the beginning. If he wants to change that, since he’s the majority shareholder, and decides he wants to fire me, I can’t stop that.”
Despite recent rumors of a possible rift that could force Schaefer out, he said he’s not worried about being fired.
“I’m confident of who I am and what I’ve achieved,” Schaefer said.
De La Hoya said Schaefer is under contract until 2018, and described recent turbulence between the pair as behind them, with everything “peaches and cream” now. Well … “I have no interest in dealing with Bob Arum,” Schaefer said.
Could De La Hoya then tell Schaefer to sit out of the negotiations and let a Golden Boy-Top Rank fight proceed?
“That’s not the way businesses work,” Schaefer said. “You hire someone to run your business, you let them run the business. You don’t tell your CEO to sit this one out. You either have them run your business or you don’t.”
Schaefer said his business model doesn’t include plans to make fights with Top Rank.
“We’ve delivered big fights,” Schaefer said. “Arum is up and down, switch on and off. You saw him ripping MGM . Then he thinks he can come back and say, ‘Hey guys, I want to make a fight here.’ It doesn’t work like that. He rips Mayweather, says people should boycott his fight, then says we should sit down and talk about fight. It doesn’t work like that.

“Maybe in his mind it’s OK because it’s about money to be made. But not everything is about money. It’s about relationships. And I value relationships more than I value money.
“There’s opportunities, but it doesn’t work. I turned from that and I’ll never look back.”
As for De La Hoya’s push, Schaefer said, “I’m the CEO. What’s higher, the CEO or the president? He’s the president. It says in my contract I’m the CEO and I run the business.”

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2318238 Previous topic | Next topic