Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2317743

Subject: "UEFA Champions League: Semi-finals - Oh the story lines!" Previous topic | Next topic
Hitokiri
Charter member
22140 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 11:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"UEFA Champions League: Semi-finals - Oh the story lines!"

So we've got Chelsea coming off it's first ever home defeat in the EPL under Mourinho against an Atletico Madrid who is in top for, with their star striker back. The same star striker that's linked with a move to Chelsea this summer. And then there's Courtois. Chelsea player on-loan to Atelti. UEFA says the clause in his contract stipulating Atleti pay them $3mil per appearance against them is not enforceable for their competition. Buuuuut, Aleti also want to extend their loan, so pissing off the Chelsea brass may not be the way to go. And finally, we've got Torres returning to the place he made his name. In the other match-up we've got Pep going against his rival from years past, who will might be missing CR7 who's struggling to be fit by game time. Bayern has struggled a bit recently, but still have to be seen as the favorites. Real just beat Barça, who aren't Pep's Barça, but are still an extension of his system. Should be a good round of games.

Tues. 4.22
Aletico Madrid v. Chelsea
2:45e

Wed. 4.23
Real Madrid v. Bayern Munich
2.45e

Tues. 4.29
Bayern Munich v. Real Madrid

Wed. 4.30
Chelsea v. Aletico Madrid

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
so, agreed that this is the worst semis ever for an FCB fan right?
Apr 22nd 2014
while those nouveau-riche sheiks at PSG might not throw 40m at alves
Apr 22nd 2014
i think i root for pep's bayern
Apr 22nd 2014
      in an ideal world, who would you draft as coach though?
Apr 22nd 2014
           assuming we can't bring pep back, then...
Apr 22nd 2014
           You don't rate Roberto Martinez?
Apr 22nd 2014
                Does not tick the "outside the box" box.
Apr 22nd 2014
                Doesn't have any Barcelona ties, that I'm aware of
Apr 22nd 2014
                     Study your history.
Apr 22nd 2014
                          You know you're wrong, right?
Apr 22nd 2014
                               Was he ever part of Pep's tree?
Apr 22nd 2014
                                    No, he's not.
Apr 22nd 2014
                                         alright, but you're wrong.
Apr 22nd 2014
                                              You are a strange, wrong person.
Apr 22nd 2014
                                                   You should stick to trying to write about English footy, cuz.
Apr 22nd 2014
                                                        Show me an once of proof Roberto Martinez is from "Pep's tree"
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                             That was some bait.
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                  Oh, so you were wrong and got caught.
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                  Nope.
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                       #15...
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                            and now he's resorting to racism.
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                  LOL. Just take the L and KIM
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                       You should read things.
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                            Huh? That statement makes no sense
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 Why are you so invested in this?
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 Smh. More OKP platitudes and garbage, no surprise
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 You cheer for Arsenal.
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 Continuing to prove your pig-headedness
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 What was i wrong about, pray tell?
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 You this dense? Everything you said about Roberto Martinez
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 alright alright alright.
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 you bodied yourself from the jump.
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 Did Barca annex Balaguer?
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 Any child would want to coach for Barca
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 Feels like I'm talking to a child right now
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 ?Would it make you feel better if i said i was?
Apr 23rd 2014
                                                                                 Doesn't matter, simply would explain your level of childishness
Apr 23rd 2014
                how's he gonna pull it off if tata can't?
Apr 22nd 2014
                     If the ban sticks, they need a manager who can work with limited resourc...
Apr 22nd 2014
                          the fucking ban...
Apr 22nd 2014
                               Thought the rumor was Jorge (Messi's dad) put his name forward
Apr 22nd 2014
                               u believe rumors?
Apr 22nd 2014
                                    I find it interesting that every time Tristiano Lllorando's cotract is u...
Apr 22nd 2014
                               Never mind the ban: FIFA grants suspension of ban while appeal is heard
Apr 23rd 2014
                                    A mere formality.
Apr 23rd 2014
           Last year I was favoring Luis Enrique over Tata
Apr 22nd 2014
Mourinho brought out the bus
Apr 22nd 2014
Courtois in goal
Apr 22nd 2014
Porquinho will not sell to the club.
Apr 22nd 2014
Schwarzer playing in a Champ League semi-final, well I've seen it all
Apr 22nd 2014
how long has mikel's hair been like that?
Apr 22nd 2014
are chelsea just bad at possession or is AM that good?
Apr 22nd 2014
Chelsea did exactly what they came to do
Apr 22nd 2014
      i fell asleep.
Apr 22nd 2014
Mission accomplished for Mourinho and Chelsea
Apr 22nd 2014
Mourinho is just a rich man's Tony Pulis
Apr 22nd 2014
*scratches chin, blames refs*
Apr 22nd 2014
Barca's transfer ban suspended for the summer
Apr 23rd 2014
Praise be to the old gods and the new.
Apr 23rd 2014
Know who's most happy?
Apr 23rd 2014
http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Photo/competitions/DomesticLeague/01...
Apr 23rd 2014
fc uefalona.
Apr 23rd 2014
^
Apr 23rd 2014
No surprise. Pretty much SOP with these transfer bans
Apr 23rd 2014
ok, this shit is funny tho
Apr 23rd 2014
You know I had to throw Halilovic into it though
Apr 23rd 2014
i'll stick it here. TWO YEARS LATE, HUMMELS TO BARCA?!?!?
Apr 24th 2014
fucking benzema
Apr 23rd 2014
that really was a great counter tho
Apr 23rd 2014
      i don't want to admit that though
Apr 23rd 2014
           honestly this is playing out like one of those clasicos
Apr 23rd 2014
                Bayern may play possession but far more direct and wide play
Apr 23rd 2014
                     in the 2nd half I agree that it was different
Apr 23rd 2014
                          Bayern constantly played wide and delivered service in the 1st half
Apr 23rd 2014
Incredible precision. What a ball by Ronaldo & then Coentrao
Apr 23rd 2014
Dammit Gotze!
Apr 23rd 2014
that's one way to see it. the other way is...Iker still got it.
Apr 23rd 2014
      See post #58
Apr 23rd 2014
      actually, I agree he didn't make the most of it
Apr 23rd 2014
      It was both. Gotze didn't get much direction but great rxn save
Apr 23rd 2014
Pepe is seriously the most loathsome player. Ever. In any sport.
Apr 23rd 2014
Isco and Alonso were fantastic
Apr 23rd 2014
Anyone who watches Real regularly: do they usually press w a lead?
Apr 23rd 2014

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 11:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "so, agreed that this is the worst semis ever for an FCB fan right?"
In response to Reply # 0

imma go Athletico bc fuck Porquinho

then ill go Bayern bc well la dethimaaaa ($1b and counting?) has become so tired it's boring

Athletico v Bayern = gracies pep but leggo Athletico!

---

But hell, what do I know?

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 11:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "while those nouveau-riche sheiks at PSG might not throw 40m at alves"
In response to Reply # 1

like they did last summer, if we can get 25-30m for him i say where is my croissant

if man utd want song (or even if) i say why the hell did we even buy him for 30 (yes i know it was a knee-jerk after javi went to bayern)

those two will bring in the bulk of the funds.

PSG/Chelsea/that russian squad still tabling 250m+ for the god but, sorry nighty

---

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26425 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 11:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "i think i root for pep's bayern"
In response to Reply # 1

it completes the "this fucking board blows goats" series. first they push out pep. then they lose thiago while fucking up an easy process of supporting Tito through cancer. Now they continue to fuck up transfers and get banned and have to resign and try to cheat on taxes and whatnot while we watch pep win without any major off field headaches, thus proving, once and for all, how this current shit of a season is 100% THE BOARD'S FUCKING FAULT.

at least there are elections in 2016. maybe someone can draft pep to step down from bayern and run for president? fml.

-----------
Y'all stupid...should've tanked for Lebron/Wiggins in 2014 -Rex LongFellow

Its 2014...there are computers in glasses and people stunt after hitting the ball far. Get over it. -Cenario

It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilariou

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 12:02 PM

4. "in an ideal world, who would you draft as coach though?"
In response to Reply # 3

>it completes the "this fucking board blows goats" series.
>first they push out pep. then they lose thiago while fucking
>up an easy process of supporting Tito through cancer. Now they
>continue to fuck up transfers and get banned and have to
>resign and try to cheat on taxes and whatnot while we watch
>pep win without any major off field headaches, thus proving,
>once and for all, how this current shit of a season is 100%
>THE BOARD'S FUCKING FAULT.
>

firstly, fuck the board as a staff, record label, or as a fucking crew.

who though can give this squad the motivation over a year that has won everything (*messi) that there is to win?

i think it's (well given that pep is not walking through that door) klopp.

---

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 01:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "assuming we can't bring pep back, then..."
In response to Reply # 4

because that's the obvious solution--and i hope an outside candidate for president is planning on running based entirely on that principle of action.

klopp's the obvious one, i agree. I'm also of the opinion that giving Tata only one year is not the right way to go, especially with how this season actually went down. If the rumors about players and others meddling with tata's preferred style and implementation of some verticalidad is true, then the board can do a slight correction by keeping him on as a sign that he should get to implement his version of barca before booting him. but they won't because they're dumbfuck coward dipshits.

in a world of "fuck style, get results" i'd say try to steal simeone. I know that's also unreasonable, but shit. his teams battle. imagine if his team battled but was barca level skilled? sheeeeeit. but that wouldn't work, i bet.

i think one of the problems is that the sanctification of la masia and tiki taka has grown so strong that i can't imagine someone from outside succeeding because of how much marketing and self-delusion has gone into the "our style is best and must be used." the team needs to deal with adjusting and the board needs to get out of the way. shit, the board's buying people like it doesn't believe in the style (else they'd have fucking paid out the ass for Javi Martinez and not for Neymar). but that's mostly due to fucking idiocy.

i do love the style. but it worked because the players were superstars at the style (in particular, Puyol was the perfect CB for it and Xavi was the best MF for it). those superstars are now old and we should be more comfortable moving to a style that's more suited to the players we have--a backline that doesn't have Puyol's unique instincts and a midfield with more individual ability, but less tactical supremacy and passing. so adapt--embrace more individual play. which Tata was doing, so why not just continue with him but buy the right players and tell xavi to just deal with the fact that, sadly, he's getting old and sell alves so we don't have alves/alba as a duo trying to run all over the place (even though Montoya's small too, at least he's more defensive minded) and buy a faster CB and a goddam forward with a striker's mentality, if not physical build. IT'S SO OBVIOUS TO EVERYONE BECAUSE IT'S BEEN THE PROBLEM FOR YEARS.

i hear people talking about bilbao's coach. i don't mind that, but what would it really accomplish?

i went on a bunch of tangents because i don't really have an answer, just a lot of rage...you?

-----------

Its 2014...there are computers in glasses and people stunt after hitting the ball far. Get over it. -Cenario

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 01:41 PM

7. "You don't rate Roberto Martinez?"
In response to Reply # 5

I think he's as good as in if Everton don't make the Champions League. Ticks all the right boxes.

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 02:40 PM

12. "Does not tick the "outside the box" box."
In response to Reply # 7

---

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 02:41 PM

14. "Doesn't have any Barcelona ties, that I'm aware of"
In response to Reply # 12

which may be a good thing.

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 02:42 PM

15. "Study your history."
In response to Reply # 14

He's Barca born and bred.

---

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 02:59 PM

17. "You know you're wrong, right?"
In response to Reply # 15

he's Catalan (barely) but from Balaguer, not Barca. Never played for Barca, came up in Balaguer's system with his only other history in Spain playing with Zaragoza.

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 03:02 PM

18. "Was he ever part of Pep's tree?"
In response to Reply # 17

did he ever say that his time at Barcelona informed his entire coaching philosophy?

are you really, really mad?

---

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 03:06 PM

20. "No, he's not. "
In response to Reply # 18

I think you are thinking of a different Roberto Martinez. Calm down.

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 03:12 PM

21. "alright, but you're wrong."
In response to Reply # 20

also, i have a beard, so you've not got that on me.

---

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 03:17 PM

22. "You are a strange, wrong person. "
In response to Reply # 21

Arguing about something that is factually wrong.
If his CV isn't proof enough for you, how about some words from the man himself:

"I've met Pep a couple of times, he's a very impressive man, he knows exactly what he wants and he's worked extremely hard for it. "

-Roberto Martinez following his appointment at Wigan in 2009.

Met a couple of times vs. "worked under him and called him the most influential person or some such bullshit I'm making up".

And "beard"? what does that mean?

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 09:49 PM

30. "You should stick to trying to write about English footy, cuz."
In response to Reply # 22

---

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 08:29 AM

35. "Show me an once of proof Roberto Martinez is from "Pep's tree""
In response to Reply # 30

You're nutjob reputation is starting to show.

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 10:12 AM

39. "That was some bait."
In response to Reply # 35

I saw that you were a bit invested, I went for it, it paid off.

Re: Martinez. His whole style is Barca. He's openly admitted that he's auditioning for the job.

Psst: he's Catalan.

---

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 10:13 AM

41. "Oh, so you were wrong and got caught. "
In response to Reply # 39

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 10:17 AM

42. "Nope."
In response to Reply # 41

I threw some meat into your crazy.

---

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 10:23 AM

43. "#15..."
In response to Reply # 42

It's cool just to admit you were wrong. Or stick to cricket.

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 10:26 AM

44. "and now he's resorting to racism."
In response to Reply # 43

>It's cool just to admit you were wrong. Or stick to cricket.
>

where shall he turn next?

Psst: i don't follow cricket.

---

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 11:15 AM

46. "LOL. Just take the L and KIM "
In response to Reply # 39

The level of bitch-made is getting to epic proportions

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 11:23 AM

47. "You should read things."
In response to Reply # 46

Roberto Martinez would give his Kobe's Achilles to coach Barca.

---

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 11:56 AM

48. "Huh? That statement makes no sense"
In response to Reply # 47
Wed Apr-23-14 11:58 AM by LA2Philly

Sure Roberto Martinez wants to coach Barca, yet every claim as to why clearly shows you're incompetent. The unwillingness to just admit you're wrong further shows you a) have a vagina and b) it's as torn as Kobe's Achilles was.

Stick to your peripheral muttering about Barcelona and Real Madrid.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 12:06 PM

50. "Why are you so invested in this?"
In response to Reply # 48

Is it because Kobe?

Might it be that you couldn't finish an engineering degree?

It's really not that hard, son.

---

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 12:26 PM

52. "Smh. More OKP platitudes and garbage, no surprise "
In response to Reply # 50

<--The drought is over

L D E A

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 02:10 PM

56. "You cheer for Arsenal."
In response to Reply # 52

---

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 02:40 PM

57. "Continuing to prove your pig-headedness"
In response to Reply # 56

Can't event admit when you are wrong, typical douche

<--The drought is over

L D E A

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:51 PM

68. "What was i wrong about, pray tell?"
In response to Reply # 57

That Martinez didn't coach under Pep?

Didn't I admit to that, oh, a few replies ago?

Again, I ask of you, why for art thou angry?

I'm Indian. I was accepted into and attended medical school. I get that you're trying to reinvent yourself as a kinesiologist and there's no shame in that.

Do you find some shame in that?

pig-headed? good lord.

---

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 05:52 PM

71. "You this dense? Everything you said about Roberto Martinez"
In response to Reply # 68
Wed Apr-23-14 06:01 PM by LA2Philly

You: He's barca born and bred
Reality: He isn't

You: He was part of Pep's tree
Reality: He wasn't

You: He said his time at Barcelona informed his entire coaching philosophy
Reality: It didn't

Not sure what you being Indian or going to med school has anything to do with this...but I'd think a med student would be able to look at the evidence in front of them rather than being a disingenuous douche. Instead of simply saying you are wrong, you continue to drivel on. Your string of replies to B9 and myself speaks for itself.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 06:00 PM

72. "alright alright alright."
In response to Reply # 71

it's funner trolling guru bc at least he thinks he's indian.

---

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 06:03 PM

73. "you bodied yourself from the jump."
In response to Reply # 71

He's not Barca born and bred?

lolll keep poaching from Barca B kid.

---

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 06:10 PM

75. "Did Barca annex Balaguer?"
In response to Reply # 73

He came up through the Balaguer youth team and then moved into Zaragoza around 17 or 18 I believe. B9 already said the same thing, so I'll ask once again: Are you really this dense?

<--The drought is over

L D E A

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 06:23 PM

76. "Any child would want to coach for Barca"
In response to Reply # 75

I hope that Kobe's Achilles Tendon survives your ignorance.

---

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 06:29 PM

77. "Feels like I'm talking to a child right now "
In response to Reply # 76
Wed Apr-23-14 06:33 PM by LA2Philly

Are you a bay area Indian cat? That would explain it all, especially around/near Fremont.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 06:39 PM

79. "?Would it make you feel better if i said i was?"
In response to Reply # 77

---

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 06:49 PM

81. "Doesn't matter, simply would explain your level of childishness"
In response to Reply # 79
Wed Apr-23-14 06:52 PM by LA2Philly

<--The drought is over

L D E A

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 02:51 PM

16. "how's he gonna pull it off if tata can't?"
In response to Reply # 7

simeone would be able to only because he's got the whole "i just beat the shit out of you last year, remember?" card to play.

a 4th year manager who is from catalunya? not in a better position, in fact probably a worse one, than tata.

in an ideal environment, sure. but there's too much ugliness for him to have a prayer of succeeding in changing anything.

-----------

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 03:03 PM

19. "If the ban sticks, they need a manager who can work with limited resourc..."
In response to Reply # 16

At this clip, I don't think Simeone is going anywhere. Tata came in almost as a favor to Messi more than anything. No offense to Argentina, but what Martinez has done this year and in the past at Wigan and Swansea is a bit more substantial. Also, he is the sort of player that players want to play for, not a divisive character at all.

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 03:35 PM

23. "the fucking ban..."
In response to Reply # 19

i just don't see a world where Roberto Martinez would be able to make more changes than tata was allowed to make. and messi didn't know tata for shit.

i mention simeone because it makes the point for me--about the only coach who could come in and change this generation of players is simeone. i might just be overly negative right now because the past two weeks have sucked. i haven't really watched everton at all, but the main thing is that the style needs to adapt and i don't know who could make that change happen.

-----------

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 03:46 PM

24. "Thought the rumor was Jorge (Messi's dad) put his name forward"
In response to Reply # 23

since they (Jorge and Lionel) are both huge Old Boys fans.

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 04:30 PM

26. "u believe rumors? "
In response to Reply # 24

Then again, why brlieve anything from anyone re barca at this point.

Both messi and tata claim to have never met before. I wouldnt put it past jorge, but thatd be embarrassing as a main reason.

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 09:52 PM

31. "I find it interesting that every time Tristiano Lllorando's cotract is u..."
In response to Reply # 26

Messi's "representatives" sound out the board about being the best player in the world and being compensated as such.

PSG/Chelsea/City are still salivating but for absolutely no reason. Messi is not a mercenary.

---

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 08:40 AM

36. "Never mind the ban: FIFA grants suspension of ban while appeal is heard"
In response to Reply # 23

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/news/newsid=2322794/index.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_news_top

Better get that keeper/defender business squared away this summer. Also, they are going to drag their feet like crazy before going to CAS

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 10:13 AM

40. "A mere formality."
In response to Reply # 36

The best argument against this is La Masia itself.

If we haven't bought a CB in 5 years ... well thank god for Bartra.

---

Hitokiri
Charter member
22140 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 01:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Last year I was favoring Luis Enrique over Tata"
In response to Reply # 4

I don't know about now though...

Guess I'd have to see who the options are.

--

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 01:47 PM

8. "Mourinho brought out the bus"
In response to Reply # 0

Hitokiri
Charter member
22140 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 01:53 PM

9. "Courtois in goal"
In response to Reply # 0

interesting.

--

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 02:41 PM

13. "Porquinho will not sell to the club."
In response to Reply # 9

He is so anti- it's like he posts on OKP.

---

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8440 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 02:19 PM

10. "Schwarzer playing in a Champ League semi-final, well I've seen it all"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8061 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 02:28 PM

11. "how long has mikel's hair been like that?"
In response to Reply # 0

and why are we, as a society, letting him get away with it?

(i don't get to watch many games and when i do it generally comes from some dubious place. so much russian on the screen and in my ears)

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8061 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 04:15 PM

25. "are chelsea just bad at possession or is AM that good?"
In response to Reply # 0

or do chelsea play a counter-attack style?

it seemed like chelsea were just daring AM to cross it in from the right side, which they did, frequently, and it's unfortunate that AM didn't score on one of them

enjoyable game though

benny
8440 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 04:45 PM

27. "Chelsea did exactly what they came to do"
In response to Reply # 25

wasn't the most enjoyable CL semi-final I've ever watched, but as far as Mourinho games go, it had its moments (if you enjoy rugged defending, that is)

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 10:02 PM

33. "i fell asleep."
In response to Reply # 27

---

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 05:29 PM

28. "Mission accomplished for Mourinho and Chelsea"
In response to Reply # 0

There had to be about 20-25 yards between Torres and the nearest midfielder all game....Chelsea dared Atleti to break them down, didn't happen. Interesting to see how Simeone plays the 2nd leg without a lead.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

HowieDooem
Member since Jun 17th 2002
3683 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 05:40 PM

29. "Mourinho is just a rich man's Tony Pulis"
In response to Reply # 0

Except for that Palace would have beaten Atletico today. Invincible!

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 09:57 PM

32. "*scratches chin, blames refs*"
In response to Reply # 29

*doesn't get fined*

seems legit.

---

benny
8440 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 07:29 AM

34. "Barca's transfer ban suspended for the summer"
In response to Reply # 0

I could think of a thing or two they might want to address with team changes...

Hitokiri
Charter member
22140 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 09:01 AM

37. "Praise be to the old gods and the new."
In response to Reply # 34

nm

--

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 09:18 AM

38. "Know who's most happy?"

http://media.tumblr.com/2ca40dc7d34195f4ad37eaca835dc6df/tumblr_inline_mmuyk0DwnT1qz4rgp.jpg

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 10:37 AM

45. "http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Photo/competitions/DomesticLeague/01..."
In response to Reply # 38

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Photo/competitions/DomesticLeague/01/87/47/98/1874798_w2.jpg

---

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85135 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 05:44 PM

70. "fc uefalona."

<--- Big Baller World Order

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 06:05 PM

74. "^"
In response to Reply # 70

so shook citys halfway crooks.

---

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 06:35 PM

78. "No surprise. Pretty much SOP with these transfer bans "

<--The drought is over

L D E A

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 12:01 PM

49. "ok, this shit is funny tho"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-23-14 12:01 PM by thejerseytornado

first signing that gets leaked a day after the ban is lifted:

a 15/16 year old from hungary that real was pushing for. HAHAHAHAHA. that's some good trolling.

-----------

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 12:08 PM

51. "You know I had to throw Halilovic into it though"
In response to Reply # 49

---

thejerseytornado
26425 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 11:19 AM

83. "i'll stick it here. TWO YEARS LATE, HUMMELS TO BARCA?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 49

god i hope this is true. then again, it's from a madrid daily...so probably not.

but, if true, this would be a good move as part of the rebuilding. Sell song and move mascherano to a utility position playing 4th CB behind Hummels, Pique, and Bartra and back up to Busquets at CDM.

-----------

Hitokiri
Charter member
22140 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 02:05 PM

53. "fucking benzema"
In response to Reply # 0

fucking counters

--

dillinjah
Charter member
9039 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 02:08 PM

54. "that really was a great counter tho"
In response to Reply # 53

Hitokiri
Charter member
22140 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 02:43 PM

58. "i don't want to admit that though"
In response to Reply # 54

but it was.

--

dillinjah
Charter member
9039 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 02:47 PM

59. "honestly this is playing out like one of those clasicos"
In response to Reply # 58

where barca has a lot meaningless possession and real sits back and counters at the slightest opening.

As an impartial though, I'd prefer Bayern score and send it back to Germany 1-1

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:41 PM

63. "Bayern may play possession but far more direct and wide play "
In response to Reply # 59

than Barcelona ever did which makes it a much different game than those Clasicos.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

dillinjah
Charter member
9039 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:56 PM

69. "in the 2nd half I agree that it was different"
In response to Reply # 63

>than Barcelona ever did which makes it a much different game
>than those Clasicos.

definitely more direct once they brought Gotze and Mueller on

That first half though was very reminescent of those sort of clasicos that I hate to watch

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 06:45 PM

80. " Bayern constantly played wide and delivered service in the 1st half"
In response to Reply # 69
Wed Apr-23-14 06:50 PM by LA2Philly

It wasn't as direct but the one thing that always stands out to me from the clasico style you mentioned is Barca playing narrow and repeatedly trying to jam in passes while Real just continues to constrict and tighten to close off that space around the 18-25 yard area. I thought Bayern did a very good job of utilizing width and getting service into Manzukic, which is something Barcelona does not do much of at all (and against Atleti, I remember people talking about Barcelona trying to cross the ball in as a sign of them panicking....when you've scored 1 time against a team all year, a team that plays you to be narrow, you'd think trying something different might actually be a sane decision, yet when it comes to Barcelona, it's considered panic. Doesn't make any sense to me from the so-called experts who on one hand criticize teams for not adapting and then criticize when they actually try to open up space by doing something different. It's really the fox sports coverage I'm referring to, those guys are fucking awful)

<--The drought is over

L D E A

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 02:08 PM

55. "Incredible precision. What a ball by Ronaldo & then Coentrao"
In response to Reply # 0

Benzema gets the goal but that was put on a platter for him by a perfect through by Cristiano and then a perfect center by Coentrao...right under Dante and past the outstretched foot of Alaba.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

Hitokiri
Charter member
22140 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:28 PM

60. "Dammit Gotze!"
In response to Reply # 0

You gotta bury that shit!

--

nighttripper
Charter member
17453 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:29 PM

61. "that's one way to see it. the other way is...Iker still got it."
In response to Reply # 60

Hitokiri
Charter member
22140 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:38 PM

62. "See post #58"
In response to Reply # 61

same deal.

And Gotze still needed to have buried that. Ball at your feet right in front of goal... I think that was Pepe barring down on him, but this is the big stage. Best chance of the game for Bayern!

--

nighttripper
Charter member
17453 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:46 PM

65. "actually, I agree he didn't make the most of it"
In response to Reply # 62

haven't watched the beginning of the game, so I don't know how Ribery played, but I think he would have done better in that position

still...location wasn't ideal but it wasn't a meek shot by any means, great save by Casillas

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:44 PM

64. "It was both. Gotze didn't get much direction but great rxn save"
In response to Reply # 61

<--The drought is over

L D E A

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:49 PM

66. "Pepe is seriously the most loathsome player. Ever. In any sport. "
In response to Reply # 0

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 03:51 PM

67. "Isco and Alonso were fantastic"
In response to Reply # 0

Isco with his work-rate on the left...tracking Robben all game, anticipating extremely well, and pushing up when required. Just a tremendous game of discipline and energy.

Alonso, if I had to choose one, was MotM. Anticipating and breaking up attacks all game, excellent link-up play....just a steady, steady veteran game from him. Exactly what Real needed.

As much as I don't like the dude due to his bs, gotta give a nod to Pepe as well. Read the game extremely well, put out numerous Bayern balls.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

LA2Philly
41249 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 07:05 PM

82. "Anyone who watches Real regularly: do they usually press w a lead?"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought Ancelotti made a great adjustment at half and props to the Real players for really employing the high press in the 2nd half and it didn't look like Bayern were ready for it.

<--The drought is over

L D E A

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2317743 Previous topic | Next topic