Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2253266

Subject: "Who would you remove from Chuck's Top 5 to place Bron there?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 01:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Who would you remove from Chuck's Top 5 to place Bron there?"

If you ask Charles Barkley which five players he has on his all-time top five NBA players list today, this is the answer he'll give:

1. Michael Jordan

2. Oscar Robertson

3. Wilt Chamberlain

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

5. Bill Russell

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20131028/charles-barkley-on-lebron-james-kobe-bryant-jason-collins/

Charles Barkley: LeBron can't crack my all-time top five

Turner Sports tips off its 2013-14 NBA coverage with an opening-night doubleheader of Bulls-Heat and Lakers-Clippers on Tuesday. Before the games, TNT's popular Inside the NBA studio show will air live at 7 p.m. ET from New York City's Flatiron Plaza. As part of the promotion for the start of the season, the quartet of Charles Barkley, Ernie Johnson, Shaquille O'Neal and Kenny Smith met with a small group of reporters on Monday afternoon in New York. During that outing, SI.com sat down with the always-engaging Barkley.

SI.com: Where should we place LeBron James right now in a historical context? Is he a top 10 all-time guy right now on your list?

Barkley: I have him there. But he can't get any higher than where he is. I have Michael Jordan at No. 1. Oscar Robertson at No. 2. Then Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Russell. I have Kobe Bryant, LeBron, Tim Duncan, Jerry West and Elgin Baylor after that. Those are my top 10. Those second five fluctuate, but who do I take off my top five? LeBron can get to No. 6 on my list, but here's the thing that bothers me about the whole LeBron debate: I want to know why y'all killed Kobe Bryant! Y'all don't even compare him to LeBron anymore. You are skipping him for LeBron and going right to Michael. I'm still going to take five titles over two. It makes me laugh with my friends -- the media just kills Kobe Bryant. Like he's dead! Five still is a lot more than two!

SI.com: Do you expect LeBron to stay in Miami after this season?

Barkley: That will be an interesting question. I've always personally hoped he would return to Cleveland. That's just my personal opinion.

SI.com: Why has Jason Collins not yet been signed?

Barkley: I think the question is a little unfair because he was on the downside of his career. I'm hoping someone picks him up, but to say nobody has picked him up because he is gay is really unfair. He was on his last legs as it was. It's an interesting situation because if you are a veteran team that needs six fouls and has a chance to win a championship, OK, maybe you sign him. Or he can mentor some young guy who has real potential but had some stuff going on, like a DeMarcus Cousins. Unless you are a championship contender and need a big body who can give you six fouls a game, it is not like he's averaging a bunch of points.

SI.com: For any team that signs him, how much of a media circus would it be?

Barkley: That's a great question. I don't know if it would be a circus. It would be more about how the fans would react. The players would be cool with it. I'd want to see how the fans would react.

SI.com: How many games will the Sixers win this year?

Barkley: Well, sitting Nerlens Noel for the season is probably the smart move. The over-under was 21 wins. I'm taking the under now. If Noel was playing, I would have taken the over. But I think it's a smart move because Noel is not physically or offensively ready to play in the NBA. (Editor's note: The oddsmaker Bovada lists the 76ers' current over/under win total at 16.5.)

SI.com: Last year, you told SI.com that you were not sure whether you would make it to the end of your Turner contract, which concludes in three years. Where does your thinking stand now?

Barkley: I'm going to finish out my contract, and I think I am going to do more games as an analyst this year. I enjoyed doing the games on site. People don't really understand we are in the studio from 8 p.m. to 2:30 in the morning, but we are only working 45 minutes. I have been doing this for 14 years so it was fun being at the games. You have to be on your toes. It was cool saying hello to the players. And I think Turner liked me doing it so I'm going to do more.

SI.com: Have you seen Andrew Wiggins play?

Barkley: First of all, no. Why would I watch a high school player? That's stupid. I've heard all the stuff. OK, he's a great high school player. Let me see what happens when he gets to college. When people ask me who will be the Rookie of the Year, I say, "I don't know." The guys have played against college players. Nobody expected Damian Lillard to win Rookie of the Year. I will watch the Wiggins kid play when I start watching college basketball. I am not going to project how great he will be. I mean, Kwame Brown was a great high school player.

SI.com: How excited are you for the start of this season?

Barkley: It's been a long time since I have been this excited for a season. In the last five or six years, there has probably been five teams that could actually win a championship. I think there are eight legitimate contenders this year if everything goes their way. There are four elite teams in each conference so I am excited to look at some of these teams. I mean, the Washington Generals might make the playoffs this year! I love the Wizards getting Marcin Gortat.
All you guys act like Miami is a juggernaut. First of all, they went seven games with the Pacers in last season's Eastern Conference finals and they should have lost to the Spurs in the NBA Finals. It ain't like they are the Michael Jordan Bulls! Listen, Miami, congratulations, they had a fantastic run. But it ain't like they swept the Pacers and Spurs. Anyone who doesn't think the Spurs blew that series does not know basketball. Now if Greg Oden can play, Miami will be tough to beat. But when they play against big teams, they really struggle.

SI.com: Shaq faces the most criticism of your studio analysts. Why do you think that is?

Barkley: Listen, man, we love Shaq on the show. I don't understand why people worry about this. It's like when I watch ESPN's show. I have never watched and thought, "This guy sucks." For me, it's, "Dude, who is playing tonight and tell me some stuff." But I don't hear criticisms of me either (laughs).

SI.com: I know you love the NFL. What teams have impressed you this year?

Barkley: Every team that has a good quarterback is successful and every team that does not have a good quarterback is not. Andy Reid has done a great job, but the Chiefs getting Alex Smith took them to a whole other level. They have changed the rules so much where it is a 100 percent offensive game and your team is dictated by how your quarterback plays. It is amazing to me.
During the meeting with reporters, the TNT crew was asked about ESPN's NBA Countdown. Here's a partial transcript:

Question: How aware are you of the struggles of ESPN's studio show regarding a consistent group of on-air staffers?

Shaq: The thing that I like about our show is they allow us to be ourselves. You know Chuck is an a-hole, you know Kenny knows everything, you know Ernie is a genius and you all know that I mumble (laughs).

Johnson: I don't think any of us think about anyone else. We have enough stuff to deal with for our own show on a nightly basis. I just think there is no way to predict what will work. You put these three or four guys together and it clicks, but there is no way to know that. We did not know it would happen when it was just Charles, Kenny and I. I thought Charles would get sick of this after six shows and say, "What else I am going to do?" But to his credit he still comes in saying the same he does every night: "Let's have fun tonight."
Smith: I pay attention to what is happening in TV, but in the 16 years I have been doing this, I have probably watched the other basketball shows 16 times. I don't like to listen to anyone else. I want to form my opinions. We talk like we are watching the game at home together.

Barkley: I don't look at it as a competition with those ESPN guys. First of all, those guys are our friends. We know all those guys and we want their show to be successful. It's not a competition. We are not on the same nights. It's not like we are matching up against them. I watch their show all the time so I am going to watch the games they have on. But I don't watch their show to critique their talent.
Shaq and I like to make people have fun. I think that is probably the difference in our shows. We really want to make people have fun. Think about it. We are on from 8 to two in the morning and you can't keep people's attention span for that long a period of time if you just X-and-O people to death about basketball. That's why our show is different.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Russell
Oct 29th 2013
Also Oscar
Oct 29th 2013
Russell
Oct 29th 2013
all 5 of them
Oct 29th 2013
He doesn't have either Bird or Magic in his top ten??? wow
Oct 29th 2013
five is short, i mean would u take those guys over cap or oscar?
Oct 30th 2013
whoever has the most inflated stats
Oct 29th 2013
That would be Wilt
Oct 30th 2013
Ha at not having Bird in the top 5 nevermind 10
Oct 29th 2013
Definitely Russell, probably Big O too
Oct 29th 2013
He'll eventually pass MJ so I don't care to quibble right now
Oct 29th 2013
he needs 4 more or it's a non-starter
Oct 30th 2013
      not really but whatever, ain't worth talking about while he's at an age
Oct 30th 2013
           yeah, really. and Wade's knees ain't gonna hold up for 4 more title runs
Oct 30th 2013
                Wade was a 13/4 guy last season, I'd trade him next chance they get
Oct 30th 2013
                     LOL u looking at this yrs line; he was 22/5/5 on 52%FG & All-NBA last yr
Oct 30th 2013
                          I looked at 15 & 5 playoffs first last year, still feel the same
Oct 31st 2013
                               20/4/5 in Finals. Good luck with Bosh's 16 & 7 / 12 & 7 in playoffs tho
Oct 31st 2013
                                    15/5 in the playoffs, trade him before it's too late, may already be
Oct 31st 2013
                                         Bosh 12 &7 in 'offs, good luck to Bron getting 4 more w/him as #2 option
Oct 31st 2013
                                              yeah, you are mad & who knows why
Oct 31st 2013
                                                   At what? That Bron ain't getting 6? Nah, that's you & I know why*
Nov 01st 2013
He forgot Magic...like, literally forgot. nm
Oct 29th 2013
today? nobody
Oct 29th 2013
Oscar lol... So fucking overrated it is ridiculous
Oct 29th 2013
please explain how he is 'overrated'
Oct 30th 2013
Nigga naybody (c)40 water
Oct 29th 2013
Nobody
Oct 29th 2013
did you read that list correctly? Nevermind, forgot who I was asking.
Oct 29th 2013
We on some agenda steez right now.
Oct 29th 2013
      I'm curious
Oct 30th 2013
           I keep it around for the current KC Chiefs QB. n/m
Oct 30th 2013
Find a Russell championship team with fewer than 3 HOFers
Oct 29th 2013
      Like I said, we on some agenda shit.
Oct 30th 2013
Basketball as we know it started in the 80s.
Oct 29th 2013
No Magic in the top 10? That is insane
Oct 30th 2013
He did say it "fluctuates"
Oct 30th 2013
      And by "fluctuates" he means he didn't really think it through.
Oct 30th 2013
It's more reasonable to rank player by their position
Oct 30th 2013
keep Cap and MJ. everything else is in flux
Oct 30th 2013
Wilt is non-negotiable
Oct 30th 2013
in my time
Oct 30th 2013
RE: in my time
Oct 30th 2013
The only answer is the Big O - I don't think at this point you can
Oct 30th 2013
A lot of people would put Oscar over MJ
Oct 30th 2013
      and a lot put Russell over them all. Can't win em all.
Oct 30th 2013
      lol no they wouldn't
Oct 31st 2013
at gunpoint maybe O.
Oct 30th 2013
Oscar and Wilt.
Oct 30th 2013
Russell I suppose, lmao @ people saying Wilt, seriously, play in traffic
Oct 30th 2013
make the case for taking of russell. i cant see it
Oct 30th 2013
      great defender, less than mediocre offensive player
Oct 31st 2013
Russel by far, then oscar
Oct 30th 2013
Lebron shouldn't be on any top 10 list yet...
Oct 31st 2013
2 chips, 2 finals MVPs, 4 time league MVP, Gold Medal
Oct 31st 2013
      Also, Bronze Medal.
Oct 31st 2013
*spits out water*
Oct 31st 2013
so you must know nothing beyond those 11 rings
Oct 31st 2013
      base...
Oct 31st 2013
      Believe me, I've argued on this board that Bill Russell's greatness
Oct 31st 2013
      Robert Horry has more rings than MJ
Oct 31st 2013
           and steve kerr more rings than Bird. Don't be daft.
Oct 31st 2013
                rings is the ONLY argument people have for Russell's greatness
Oct 31st 2013
                     horry: reserve Kerr:reserve
Oct 31st 2013
                          Russell wasn't even a top 3 scorer on most of his championship teams...
Oct 31st 2013
                               defense wins championships
Oct 31st 2013
                               what
Oct 31st 2013
                                    RE: what
Oct 31st 2013
                                         still doesn't mean he's not in the discussion of the all-time greatest
Nov 01st 2013
      3 hs state titles (though he only played one 1, his senior year)
Oct 31st 2013
      And you must not know anything about basketball
Nov 01st 2013

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Russell"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 02:04 PM

5. "Also Oscar"
In response to Reply # 1

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

cyrus
Charter member
1006 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 01:32 PM

2. "Russell"
In response to Reply # 0

Someone could formulate an argument for leaving Russell up and dropping Wilt, but I'd never buy it.

cipha_2
Member since Nov 01st 2004
8277 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 01:51 PM

3. "all 5 of them"
In response to Reply # 0

"D is for what I serve, I don't be on no curb, she aint no junky neither, I ain't no dope dealer" - 3000

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 02:03 PM

4. "He doesn't have either Bird or Magic in his top ten??? wow"
In response to Reply # 0

grassrootsphilosopher

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 04:37 PM

37. "five is short, i mean would u take those guys over cap or oscar?"
In response to Reply # 4

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

melmag
Charter member
18470 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 02:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "whoever has the most inflated stats"
In response to Reply # 0

LBs Finest
Member since Sep 28th 2005
19846 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 12:02 AM

19. "That would be Wilt"
In response to Reply # 6

EmDub
Member since Oct 14th 2003
6620 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 02:39 PM

7. "Ha at not having Bird in the top 5 nevermind 10"
In response to Reply # 0

And no Magic in top 10, please.

----------
I Love That Dirty Water...Boston Your My Home

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 02:44 PM

8. "Definitely Russell, probably Big O too"
In response to Reply # 0

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 02:48 PM

9. "He'll eventually pass MJ so I don't care to quibble right now"
In response to Reply # 0

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27142 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 10:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "he needs 4 more or it's a non-starter"
In response to Reply # 9

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 02:01 PM

31. "not really but whatever, ain't worth talking about while he's at an age"
In response to Reply # 26
Wed Oct-30-13 02:01 PM by Bombastic

that MJ was at with only one.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27142 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 02:48 PM

34. "yeah, really. and Wade's knees ain't gonna hold up for 4 more title runs"
In response to Reply # 31

so Bron gonna need to figure something out to get there.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 04:56 PM

42. "Wade was a 13/4 guy last season, I'd trade him next chance they get"
In response to Reply # 34

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27142 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 10:38 PM

44. "LOL u looking at this yrs line; he was 22/5/5 on 52%FG & All-NBA last yr"
In response to Reply # 42
Wed Oct-30-13 10:52 PM by 40thStreetBlack

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 12:15 AM

46. "I looked at 15 & 5 playoffs first last year, still feel the same"
In response to Reply # 44

>.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27142 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 09:45 AM

47. "20/4/5 in Finals. Good luck with Bosh's 16 & 7 / 12 & 7 in playoffs tho"
In response to Reply # 46

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 01:13 PM

50. "15/5 in the playoffs, trade him before it's too late, may already be"
In response to Reply # 47
Thu Oct-31-13 01:16 PM by Bombastic

Dwayne Wade is going to be a 20 million-dollar ankle weight in another year or two so hopefully they understand that.

Regardless, we'll see what happens but the point is Lebron is on pace to be better than Jordan no matter how mad that makes y'all & I don't subscribe to the notion he needs six rings to do it anyway.

He's currently three MVPs & a ring up on him at the same age while being a more versatile & dominant player the past couple seasons than Jordan ever was.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27142 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 02:34 PM

56. "Bosh 12 &7 in 'offs, good luck to Bron getting 4 more w/him as #2 option"
In response to Reply # 50

>Regardless, we'll see what happens but the point is Lebron is
>on pace to be better than Jordan no matter how mad that makes
>y'all & I don't subscribe to the notion he needs six rings to
>do it anyway.

And Tom Brady was "on pace" to be better than Montana, how's that working out? none of that projecting stuff matters until it's actually done. Bron might pass Jordan in MVPs but Mike could've easily won several more so nobody will care. They'll still care about 6-0 in the Finals with 6 Finals MVPs though. You may not subscribe to the notion that Bron needs 6 to get there but most people do, so unless Bron wins 6 the consensus will still be Mike is GOAT.

>He's currently three MVPs & a ring up on him at the same age
>while being a more versatile & dominant player the past couple
>seasons than Jordan ever was.

More versatile, sure; more dominant, debatable. Won't matter unless he gets 6.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 04:25 PM

64. "yeah, you are mad & who knows why"
In response to Reply # 56

and since the dude is a free agent *this summer*, then it really doesn't matter.

>>Regardless, we'll see what happens but the point is Lebron
>is
>>on pace to be better than Jordan no matter how mad that
>makes
>>y'all & I don't subscribe to the notion he needs six rings
>to
>>do it anyway.
>
>And Tom Brady was "on pace" to be better than Montana, how's
>that working out?

Fuck no, he wasn't.

He was a borderline game-manager early on & that was a Top 2-3 D he was playing with while sneaking field goal victories.

Anyone comparing that to Montana didn't watch Montana.

Later once Brady started getting numbers & MVPs, he couldn't win

>none of that projecting stuff matters until
>it's actually done.
Lebron LAST YEAR is better than Michael Jordan ever was, that's my point.

So I'm not worried about projections or bothering to argue a career case while Bron is in the middle of his prime.

>Bron might pass Jordan in MVPs but Mike
>could've easily won several more so nobody will care. They'll
>still care about 6-0 in the Finals with 6 Finals MVPs though.
>You may not subscribe to the notion that Bron needs 6 to get
>there but most people do,
most people are idiots & again, I don't care.

>so unless Bron wins 6 the consensus
>will still be Mike is GOAT.
>
>
>>He's currently three MVPs & a ring up on him at the same age
>>while being a more versatile & dominant player the past
>couple
>>seasons than Jordan ever was.
>
>More versatile, sure; more dominant, debatable. Won't matter
>unless he gets 6.
>
uh-huh, anything else, Dr Huffinpuff?

because I already said I don't care to debate a half done career with a finished one other than to say what I already said.

I'll leave that to people who still wanna pretend Kobe's got another in 'em.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27142 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 03:40 PM

71. "At what? That Bron ain't getting 6? Nah, that's you & I know why*"
In response to Reply # 64

>and since the dude is a free agent *this summer*, then it
>really doesn't matter.

It'll matter when Bron don't have a legit championship-caliber #2 option to run with.

>>And Tom Brady was "on pace" to be better than Montana, how's
>>that working out?
>
>Fuck no, he wasn't.

At 30 Brady had won 3 Super Bowls, NFL MVP, and broke the single-season TD record, so by that age he was a ring & MVP up on Montana while being a more dominant player that season than Joe ever was. so by your own 'on pace' standards Brady was on pace to be better than Montana.

>He was a borderline game-manager early on & that was a Top 2-3
>D he was playing with while sneaking field goal victories.
>
>Anyone comparing that to Montana didn't watch Montana.

The borderline game-manager stuff doesn't apply past the first season he replaced Bledsoe: he led the league in passing TDs the following season & led in passing yards a few years after that. If you compare Brady's first 6 seasons to Montana's first 6 their stats are remarkably similar; compare their first 2 Super Bowl performances and their numbers are almost identical. And Montana was playing with Top 2-3 D's behind him for his SB wins as well so that's neither here nor there.

>Later once Brady started getting numbers & MVPs, he couldn't
>win

Brady's a desperation throw helmet catch away from 4 rings with an undefeated championship season. On the flip-side, Bron's a missed FT/ stepback 3 off rebound in traffic from being 1-3 in the Finals.

>Lebron LAST YEAR is better than Michael Jordan ever was,
>that's my point.

So what are you waiting for then? If you want to crown him, then crown his ass! but before you do, you'll have to address this first:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=jordami01&y1=1989&p2=jamesle01&y2=2013

MJ had more PTS/gm, AST/gm, STL/gm, same REB/gm with more offensive rebounds, same BLK/gm

So, yeah.

>So I'm not worried about projections or bothering to argue a
>career case while Bron is in the middle of his prime.

So you're not worried about projections, while making projections that Bron will pass Jordan? How does that work, some kind of Zen thing?

>because I already said I don't care to debate a half done
>career with a finished one other than to say what I already
>said.
>
>I'll leave that to people who still wanna pretend Kobe's got
>another in 'em.

Six or it don't matter.

Anything else I'll leave to people who still wanna pretend AI ever had even one in him*

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

theeraser
Member since Feb 11th 2007
7218 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 03:37 PM

10. "He forgot Magic...like, literally forgot. nm"
In response to Reply # 0

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 03:39 PM

11. "today? nobody"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

NotScared2Ask
Member since Aug 23rd 2011
687 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 03:47 PM

12. "Oscar lol... So fucking overrated it is ridiculous"
In response to Reply # 0

Really think we need to all choose a separation mark year wise for judging eras/players.

Inflated stats/shitty defenses/no shot clock.. Can we really judge those guys with the players now

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 04:40 PM

38. "please explain how he is 'overrated'"
In response to Reply # 12

best guard of a generation that included jerry west and walt frazier. the guy was lebron before lebron. i have never, ever heard anyone who saw him play say he was overrated, in fact many think he is UNDERrated even as a consistently top 10 player. a few stat dorks have tried to knock him and wilt down, but they seldom present an argument that does anything other than cast a modicum of doubt over the assertion that they were the top TWO players of all time.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 04:38 PM

13. "Nigga naybody (c)40 water"
In response to Reply # 0

It's his list, let him cook

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28877 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 05:51 PM

14. "Nobody"
In response to Reply # 0

People chastize Kobe for playing with Snaq but give DShade and Bron passes. The superfiends could win 10 rings and all of them getting cuban'bed.

None of the players on Barkley's list except Jordan needed another great superstar beside them. They proved themselves in their own right.

It's his list and he could put who he wants there.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 05:53 PM

15. "did you read that list correctly? Nevermind, forgot who I was asking."
In response to Reply # 14

>
>None of the players on Barkley's list except Jordan needed
>another great superstar beside them.

Kira
28877 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 06:42 PM

17. "We on some agenda steez right now."
In response to Reply # 15

I threw common sense out the window to fit my agenda.

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6399 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 02:34 PM

32. "I'm curious "
In response to Reply # 17

>I threw common sense out the window to fit my agenda.

WHEN do you keep common sense in the car with you?

Kira
28877 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 11:56 PM

45. "I keep it around for the current KC Chiefs QB. n/m"
In response to Reply # 32

John Forte
15361 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 10:15 PM

18. "Find a Russell championship team with fewer than 3 HOFers"
In response to Reply # 14

How many chips does Big O have without Cap? Cap without Big O or Magic? LeBron without Wade? Wilt without West? Notice a pattern?

Kira
28877 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 11:06 AM

27. "Like I said, we on some agenda shit."
In response to Reply # 18

OGs get a pass. Lebron didn't just need Wade. He needed Bosh, Wade, and two years of curses placed on every team in the eastern conference.

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Tue Oct-29-13 06:41 PM

16. "Basketball as we know it started in the 80s."
In response to Reply # 0

20% of that list applies 100%.

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 12:05 AM

20. "No Magic in the top 10? That is insane"
In response to Reply # 0

ErnestLee
Member since Mar 03rd 2003
28533 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 12:09 AM

21. "He did say it "fluctuates""
In response to Reply # 20

But yea, it really is.

---------------------------------------------------------

soulfunk
Charter member
11031 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 01:20 PM

29. "And by "fluctuates" he means he didn't really think it through."
In response to Reply # 21

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 01:09 AM

22. "It's more reasonable to rank player by their position"
In response to Reply # 0

C: Kareem (Shyt on every HOF center including Wilt/Dream/Chief)
PF: ELMO (Best all-around)
SF: Bird (Was an under-rated defender & Bron is still a mediocre jump shooter)
SG: Cheese (God)
PG: Magic (GOAT floor vision)

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

El_essence
Charter member
24899 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 01:14 AM

23. "keep Cap and MJ. everything else is in flux"
In response to Reply # 0

John Forte
15361 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 12:58 PM

28. "Wilt is non-negotiable"
In response to Reply # 23

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 01:34 AM

24. "in my time"
In response to Reply # 0

Bron

Shaq

Magic

Bird

Jordan

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 07:28 AM

25. "RE: in my time"
In response to Reply # 24

Respect. Can't be mad at that list at all.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

vee-lover
20388 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 01:22 PM

30. "The only answer is the Big O - I don't think at this point you can"
In response to Reply # 0

realistically say Lebron belongs ahead of Russell/Kareem/Wilt/Jordan

but he's steadily climbing that list

Although I still maintain that Russell is on here moreso for what his team's accomplished rather than him being a transcendant type of talent like the others on this list.

Russell had a very high basketball IQ to compensate for not having otherwordly talent like Kareem and Wilt.

grassrootsphilosopher

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 04:35 PM

36. "A lot of people would put Oscar over MJ"
In response to Reply # 30

Lach
Charter member
44333 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 04:49 PM

40. "and a lot put Russell over them all. Can't win em all."
In response to Reply # 36

LBs Finest
19846 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 02:27 PM

54. "lol no they wouldn't"
In response to Reply # 36

themaddfapper
Member since Mar 09th 2010
7558 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 02:44 PM

33. "at gunpoint maybe O."
In response to Reply # 0

russell? y'all have lost your goddamn minds.

Szabo
Member since Dec 16th 2007
2429 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 03:10 PM

35. "Oscar and Wilt."
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 04:40 PM

39. "Russell I suppose, lmao @ people saying Wilt, seriously, play in traffic"
In response to Reply # 0

themaddfapper
7558 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 04:50 PM

41. "make the case for taking of russell. i cant see it"
In response to Reply # 39

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 01:39 PM

52. "great defender, less than mediocre offensive player"
In response to Reply # 41

Ill Jux
Member since Jan 19th 2007
14705 posts
Wed Oct-30-13 05:56 PM

43. "Russel by far, then oscar"
In response to Reply # 0

______

in the memory of NYC upt JUX�

Ricky Spanish
Member since May 07th 2012
40 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 09:49 AM

48. "Lebron shouldn't be on any top 10 list yet..."
In response to Reply # 0

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 01:32 PM

51. "2 chips, 2 finals MVPs, 4 time league MVP, Gold Medal"
In response to Reply # 48

regular and post season stats,etc... i can name alot of great players not seeing that resume.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43772 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 04:20 PM

63. "Also, Bronze Medal."
In response to Reply # 51

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 12:43 PM

49. "*spits out water*"
In response to Reply # 0

So you all that say Russell must don't know about those 11 championships huh?

John Forte
15361 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 01:58 PM

53. "so you must know nothing beyond those 11 rings"
In response to Reply # 49

Russell is the most overrated player of all time. Good defender, TERRIBLE offensive player. Terrible. Played with 2-5 HoF teammates EVERY season.

He was a career 43% shooter who only shot 50% from the field once in his caree, despite playing in an era with a narrower lane and where (according to legend) only HE played defense. What was stopping him from scoring?

He'd be a hall of famer in any era, but in the modern era he's Dennis Rodman.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 02:32 PM

55. "base..."
In response to Reply # 53

>Russell is the most overrated player of all time. Good
>defender, TERRIBLE offensive player. Terrible. Played with
>2-5 HoF teammates EVERY season.
>
>He was a career 43% shooter who only shot 50% from the field
>once in his caree, despite playing in an era with a narrower
>lane and where (according to legend) only HE played defense.
>What was stopping him from scoring?
>
>He'd be a hall of famer in any era, but in the modern era he's
>Dennis Rodman.

vee-lover
20388 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 02:34 PM

57. "Believe me, I've argued on this board that Bill Russell's greatness"
Thu Oct-31-13 02:44 PM by vee-lover

as a *basketball player* is somewhat inflated

but

he STILL BELONGS in the discussion of the Top 5 Greatest players of all time, make no mistake abt it. He has *11* rings...eleven rings. And he won one of those as a PLAYER/COACH.

If a qb won 11 rings in the nfl we wouldn't care how average his skills were, he'd be in the discussion of the greatest qbs ever w/o question.

All Oscar did was put up some impressive stats...and won one championship w/a prime Lew Alcindor.

Big O was great I'm sure, but he would have to come off Charles' list in favor of Lebron.

Bill Russell's legacy is like another all-time great, though, - Rocky Marciano. Because Marciano was the only heavyweight to retire undefeated, he belongs in the discussion of the all time greatest fighters - even though I can think of many heavyweights who were actually better but weren't/aren't as heralded.

>Russell is the most overrated player of all time. Good
>defender, TERRIBLE offensive player. Terrible. Played with
>2-5 HoF teammates EVERY season.
>
>He was a career 43% shooter who only shot 50% from the field
>once in his caree, despite playing in an era with a narrower
>lane and where (according to legend) only HE played defense.
>What was stopping him from scoring?
>
>He'd be a hall of famer in any era, but in the modern era he's
>Dennis Rodman.

grassrootsphilosopher

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 03:06 PM

59. "Robert Horry has more rings than MJ"
In response to Reply # 57

themaddfapper
7558 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 04:10 PM

60. "and steve kerr more rings than Bird. Don't be daft."
In response to Reply # 59

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 04:13 PM

61. "rings is the ONLY argument people have for Russell's greatness"
In response to Reply # 60

themaddfapper
7558 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 04:16 PM

62. "horry: reserve Kerr:reserve"
In response to Reply # 61

russell, constant and building block of championships everywhere he went. even as a player coach. he was the greatness around which the team was constructed.

no one was constructing teams around horry and kerr.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 04:31 PM

65. "Russell wasn't even a top 3 scorer on most of his championship teams..."
In response to Reply # 62

he was basically Ben Wallace

themaddfapper
7558 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 04:36 PM

66. "defense wins championships"
In response to Reply # 65

and ben wallace, champion
dennis rodman uber champion and hof'er

russell did what they did at its maximum level, and hell made a place in basketball for their skillset.

PIMPINCHICAGO
Member since Mar 11th 2003
7441 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 04:47 PM

67. "what"
In response to Reply # 65

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 04:53 PM

68. "RE: what"
In response to Reply # 67

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1969.html

vee-lover
20388 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 01:37 PM

70. "still doesn't mean he's not in the discussion of the all-time greatest"
In response to Reply # 68

players...

they don't win 11 championships w/o Russell, period.

grassrootsphilosopher

themaddfapper
7558 posts
Thu Oct-31-13 03:02 PM

58. "3 hs state titles (though he only played one 1, his senior year)"

55 game winning streak 2 NCAA titles
Gold Medal
11 World Championships

The constant in all these scenarios is russell. people became hof'ers off of his greatness.

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Fri Nov-01-13 06:07 AM

69. "And you must not know anything about basketball"

Without Russell the Celts aren't winning those championships. He was the ultimate winner and leader on the floor. He was always prepared and knew how to put his team in position to win. In top of that he had to do it against Chamberlin year in and year out.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2253266 Previous topic | Next topic