Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2174969

Subject: "Beisbol Heads: How good is Yu Darvish/ How good can he be?" Previous topic | Next topic
ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43361 posts
Sun May-05-13 12:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Beisbol Heads: How good is Yu Darvish/ How good can he be?"
Sun May-05-13 12:13 PM by ShawndmeSlanted

Its early but he's off to a historic start this season. I've only seen him pitch a couple of innings this season in 2 different games. What is better about this version of Darvish than last year's model?

Is he someone hitters will really figure out as they see him more and more?

What are the longterm injury concerns with him going forward like Felix, Johan, or Strauss?
I was watching something on Strauss' poor mechanics the other day and watched some of Darvish's mechanics--He's pretty damn solid mechanically.

Are there a lot of other pitchers you'd take before him right now?

Where do you rank him as a starter right today (factoring potential).

Top 5

Top 10

Top 20

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Darvish is ready for lift off
May 05th 2013
Did you see this GIF?
May 06th 2013
There aren't that many truly dominant pitchers in all of MLB
May 06th 2013

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Sun May-05-13 10:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Darvish is ready for lift off"
In response to Reply # 0

Watching him this year, he looks relaxed and more focused. All the great pitchers have that one year where they "figure it out," and this would appear to be the year Darvish figures it out.
He pitches the way his body wants to, something he's had trouble with in the past. And he's got the kind of mechanics that don't show wear and tear.
If there's anything he needs right now, I'd say it's actually a few bad starts. I think he needs a couple starts where he doesn't have his stuff, in order to see how he handles it.
Injury concerns for him are the same as any pitcher. You can show me all the Saber-science you want, even a pitcher with perfect mechanics is going to get injured.
This is the year we see just how good he's going to be. So as far as ranking, you gotta wait till October. But if his year is the same as his April, then we're looking at one of the top 5 pitchers in the game right now.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

cyrus
Charter member
1006 posts
Mon May-06-13 03:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Did you see this GIF?"
In response to Reply # 0

He's good. Top 5-10 won't be debatable by the end of the year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/mastery-yu-darvish-one-tremendous-gif-163451796--mlb.html

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon May-06-13 01:15 PM

3. "There aren't that many truly dominant pitchers in all of MLB"
In response to Reply # 0

He's been one of them at various times (including this season) and barring injury should be cemented as an unqualified ace. ranking guys is hard to do because there are several on the comeup (including darvish) and others on the downswing (what is happening with doc halladay?). but you think about it, there's maybe a dozen guys that could make the claim of being an ace on any staff, it's not a stretch to consider him one of them.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2174969 Previous topic | Next topic