Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2088094

Subject: "Cowboys DT Josh Brent arrested for intoxication manslaughter (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59225 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 03:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cowboys DT Josh Brent arrested for intoxication manslaughter (swipe)"

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8726659/josh-brent-dallas-cowboys-arrested-intoxication-manslaughter-accident-kills-jerry-brown

DALLAS -- Dallas Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent was arrested early Saturday morning for intoxication manslaughter after a one-vehicle accident that killed teammate Jerry Brown.

Irving police spokesman John Argumaniz said the accident happened about 2:20 a.m. Saturday in the Dallas suburb. Brent was speeding when the vehicle hit a curb and flipped at least once, Argumaniz said.

Argumaniz says the 25-year-old Brown was found unresponsive at the scene and pronounced dead at a hospital.

Brent, a three-year veteran, was booked in the Irving, Texas city jail at 4:14 a.m. Saturday morning.

Brown was signed to the Cowboys' practice squad earlier this season. He was also Brent's college teammate at Illinois.

"We are deeply saddened by the news of this accident and the passing of Jerry Brown," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in a statement. "At this time, our hearts and prayers and deepest sympathies are with the members of Jerry's family and all of those who knew him and loved him."

The Cowboys are flying to Cincinnati for Sunday's game against the Bengals and had no comment on the accident, other than to say Brent did not make the team's charter. The players were told on the plane just before takeoff of what happened after non-team personnel were asked to go outside.

In June 2009, Brent was sentenced to two years probation and 60 days in jail as part of a plea agreement stemming from a drunken driving arrest in Champaign County, Illinois.

Brent had been starting for the Cowboys with nose tackle Jay Ratliff sidelined by a groin injury. The Cowboys promoted nose tackle Robert Callaway off the practice squad Saturday.

Brown was signed by the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted free agent on May 23 and waived on Aug. 31. He was then signed to the practice squad on Sept. 1 and elevated to the active roster on Oct. 10.

Brown played in one game against the New York Jets in Week 6 before being waived on Oct. 16 and signed to the practice squad the following day.

"Sad news for the Illini #Family today," Illinois coach Tim Beckman tweeted. "Jerry Brown, former Illini and current NFL player has passed away. Keep him in your prayers."

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What the hell is going on?
Dec 08th 2012
Need to assure them it's anonymous
Dec 08th 2012
There's no excuse.
Dec 08th 2012
and to reiterate...NONE!!!
Dec 08th 2012
      Is it common to make excuses for manslaughter?
Dec 08th 2012
           people make excuses for driving drunk.
Dec 08th 2012
                and it cost me, but mercifully not nearly THAT much.
Dec 08th 2012
                     Yeah I'd be willing to bet that the marjority of the posters here in the...
Dec 09th 2012
                          i did it all the time for a decade...i just got caught twice
Dec 09th 2012
                               me too, luckily the worst I got out of it was a DUI, nothing like this
Dec 09th 2012
                                    for me, two totaled cars, but noone injured.
Dec 09th 2012
RE: Cowboys DT Josh Brent arrested for intoxication manslaughter (swipe)
Dec 08th 2012
Dwayne Goodrich just got out the pen last year...these niggas SMH
Dec 08th 2012
sad, Brown is from the area
Dec 08th 2012
if only he didn't have such easy access to alcohol and a car
Dec 09th 2012
o, u
Dec 09th 2012
^ SEES IT ^
Dec 09th 2012
outlaw alcohol and cars!
Dec 09th 2012
Such a sleazy move to make a stupid point at this time
Dec 09th 2012
So are the pro-gun click determinists? Don't believe in "mens rea"?
Dec 11th 2012
      latter.
Dec 11th 2012
      "clique"
Dec 11th 2012
very unfortunate situation.. Brent made a terrible decision
Dec 09th 2012
Witness: Josh Brent abandoned Jerry Brown, rescued him after being begge...
Dec 11th 2012
Ehhhh.........I hope this isn't true
Dec 11th 2012
dawg...this is just...damn.
Dec 11th 2012
hearing what browns parents have said about their feelings toward brent
Dec 11th 2012
yea but like that woman said he coulda just been in shock
Dec 11th 2012
      yeah i remember you posting about that before
Dec 11th 2012
Sounds like shock to me.
Dec 11th 2012
who is this broad and what are her credentials
Dec 11th 2012
      agreed
Dec 11th 2012
      broad? are we in a noir film?
Dec 11th 2012
Thomas Lake has a somber account of Brent and Brown in last week's SI
May 14th 2013
and ended up being charged with another vehicular intoxication charge
May 14th 2013
yeah....and was found not guilty...he got lucky because he was
May 14th 2013
      to my recollection they couldn't prove he was over the limit
May 14th 2013
           St. Louis has a very conservative element to its social structure
May 14th 2013
yet Mike Vick and dem dogs...
May 14th 2013

guru0509
Charter member
45439 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 04:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "What the hell is going on?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Dec-08-12 04:07 PM by guru0509

Why cant these stupid motherfuckers take advantage of the limo services provided to them FOR FREE!?!?!

(edit, not sure if its available for practice squad members, but still..)

Terrible...

RIP

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 04:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Need to assure them it's anonymous "
In response to Reply # 1

Only way it will work and actually be used.

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 04:07 PM

2. "There's no excuse."
In response to Reply # 0

None.

https://i.imgur.com/ZkkZekl.gif

Dstl1
Charter member
56281 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 04:42 PM

4. "and to reiterate...NONE!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16176 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 05:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Is it common to make excuses for manslaughter?"
In response to Reply # 4

smutsboy
33301 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 06:14 PM

7. "people make excuses for driving drunk."
In response to Reply # 6

every day.

all the time.

ChuckFoPrez
Charter member
47859 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 07:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "and it cost me, but mercifully not nearly THAT much."
In response to Reply # 7

https://twitter.com/chuck4prez

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sun Dec-09-12 01:38 AM

13. "Yeah I'd be willing to bet that the marjority of the posters here in the..."
In response to Reply # 8

early 20's at one point got behind the wheel of a vehicle when they had no business. At that age you think you are indestructible and if you're a pro athlete with a pocket full of money it's the same thing x 10.

ChuckFoPrez
Charter member
47859 posts
Sun Dec-09-12 08:06 AM

14. "i did it all the time for a decade...i just got caught twice"
In response to Reply # 13

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sun Dec-09-12 10:15 AM

17. "me too, luckily the worst I got out of it was a DUI, nothing like this"
In response to Reply # 14

ChuckFoPrez
Charter member
47859 posts
Sun Dec-09-12 12:47 PM

19. "for me, two totaled cars, but noone injured."
In response to Reply # 17

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 04:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Cowboys DT Josh Brent arrested for intoxication manslaughter (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

And in other news, water is wet....

This is becoming way too predictable....Damn....

RIP....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33866 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 07:07 PM

9. "Dwayne Goodrich just got out the pen last year...these niggas SMH"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Dec-08-12 10:16 PM

10. "sad, Brown is from the area"
In response to Reply # 0

ACRG
Member since Aug 21st 2007
3496 posts
Sun Dec-09-12 01:12 AM

11. "if only he didn't have such easy access to alcohol and a car"
In response to Reply # 0

o00o

RaFromQueens
Member since Apr 18th 2006
19528 posts
Sun Dec-09-12 01:24 AM

12. "o, u"
In response to Reply # 11

---
"People that need positivity around them all the time are weak individuals in my book" - @lilduval

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Sun Dec-09-12 10:09 AM

15. "^ SEES IT ^"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
Occupy Big Government..

Fannie, Freddie dole out big bonuses
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67292.html

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sun Dec-09-12 12:23 PM

18. "outlaw alcohol and cars!"

or clubs?

all of it!

Pinko_Panther
Member since Dec 11th 2002
11808 posts
Sun Dec-09-12 05:01 PM

20. "Such a sleazy move to make a stupid point at this time"

"If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito."

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 08:58 AM

25. "So are the pro-gun click determinists? Don't believe in "mens rea"?"

Or do you all just have the logical capacity of jack asses?

smutsboy
33301 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 09:36 AM

26. "latter."
In response to Reply # 25

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16176 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 11:32 AM

29. ""clique""
In response to Reply # 25

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Sun Dec-09-12 10:11 AM

16. "very unfortunate situation.. Brent made a terrible decision"
In response to Reply # 0

that likely cost him his freedom & his teammates life..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
Occupy Big Government..

Fannie, Freddie dole out big bonuses
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67292.html

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 02:41 AM

21. "Witness: Josh Brent abandoned Jerry Brown, rescued him after being begge..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20121210-witness-josh-brent-abandoned-jerry-brown-rescued-him-after-being-begged.ece

Witness: Josh Brent abandoned Jerry Brown, rescued him after being begged

A woman who arrived on the scene moments after Dallas Cowboys Josh Brent and Jerry Brown Jr. were in an accident says Brent paced the side of the road until she begged him to intervene as his best friend and teammate screamed for help.
Stacee  McWilliams of Irving said she repeatedly pleaded with Brent, whom she said she did not recognize, to rescue Jerry Brown Jr. from Brent’s 2007 Mercedes, which was upside-down and on fire on the service road of State Highway 114 near Loop 12 around 2 a.m. Saturday.
“Jerry was alive. He was hurt. He was calling out and his own friend walked away,” McWilliams said Monday.
Brent’s attorney, George Milner, said the woman’s account is not consistent with what police told him. “That is absolutely false,” Milner said. “What I’ve been told is that Jerry Brown was never conscious after the accident. … she better be careful with this one.”
Brown, 25, was taken to Parkland Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The Dallas County medical examiner’s office said Monday the practice squad linebacker died after suffering injuries from blunt force trauma to his head and neck. The death was ruled accidental.
Brent, 24, a nose tackle, was charged with intoxication manslaughter with a vehicle and released on $500,000 bail Sunday. He once spent 30 days in an Illinois jail on a DUI charge.
A private memorial service for Brown will be held on Tuesday in Oak Cliff. Cowboys officials said Brent, who remains an active member of the team, is welcome.
McWilliams, who works in the claims department of an insurance company, said she was on her way home from her birthday party when she noticed the wreck  and stopped. From the left lane, she said she called out to Brent, who was pacing in the grass near the right lane.
“I jumped out and ran out toward the wreck,” she said. “I yelled to him, ‘Are you OK? Are you OK?’ And he told me he was fine. I was relieved because I thought it’s just a single car accident, nobody’s hurt. And then fire sparked up from the car and got bigger and I started to hear screams.”
As the fire grew, she says she begged Brent to help Brown, the car’s passenger, whom she also didn’t know.
Brent “looked at me and said, ‘He won’t get out of the car.’ And I said, ‘Get him out of the car. You have to save him.’.”
She said she continued to plead, but Brent repeated that his friend wouldn’t get out. She ran to her car to get her phone. When she returned, Brown was lying in the middle of the far right lane and Brent had walked away.
“He didn’t say come on, hang in there, hold his hand,” she said. “That’s what upsets me the most at this point. He abandoned him.”
McWilliams said she believes Brent was in shock “because he is human,” but she said she still found his actions disturbing. “He may have been in shock, but he was very coherent at the time,” she said.
Late Monday, she said should could no longer discuss the case because Irving investigators asked her not to. Her Facebook posts about the accident were no longer visible late Monday.
According to Brent’s arrest affidavit, as officers arrived on the scene, “an individual was seen pulling another individual from the burning vehicle.”
Irving police spokesman John Argumaniz said investigators are piecing together the events leading up to the crash.
Argumaniz said because the charge is related to a death involving alcohol, Brent will be required to get an interlock device on his vehicle. The device requires a person to breathe into it to determine their blood alcohol level before allowing them to drive.
The arrest affidavit said Brent “admitted to consuming alcohol at a club,” but he would not tell police the club’s name. Brent was given a blood alcohol test against his will, but the results have not yet been released.
Multiple reports say the men were partying with other Cowboys and celebrities. Officials with one club, Privae Dallas, issued a statement Monday expressing sympathy and said they are “fully cooperating” with investigations by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission and Irving police.
“Our hearts go out to Mr. Brown’s family and friends, and the entire Cowboys organization,” the statement said. “Privae Dallas is a club that offers its guests a special level of privacy and often caters to celebrities. The safety of our guests is very important to us.”
Privae is the VIP club located inside of Beamers, a sprawling urban club located on Composite Drive near Walnut Hill Lane, that features hip-hop and R&B music. During late night hours, it often attracts entertainers, athletes and other celebrities, who mix with the younger crowd.
The club has been the scene of several R&B concerts and celebrity parties, including events by Sean “P. Diddy” Combs during the Super Bowl festivities in North Texas.
The club promoted comedian Shawn Wayans as the headliner for last Friday night’s event. Party promoter Kimesha Jackson tweeted that 12 Cowboys — none of whom were named — were at the party and ordering numerous bottles of a popular champagne.
TABC spokesperson Carolyn Beck confirmed Monday that the agency is looking into the circumstances surrounding Brown’s death, specifically whether Brent was served alcohol after becoming intoxicated.
“We do it every time we are aware of an alcohol-related fatality,” Beck said. “It is routine and the fact that they are NFL players does not have any bearing on the investigation.”
TABC investigators can review nightclub security camera videos to aid in their investigation. A club responsible for serving alcohol to someone who is impaired by alcohol can be fined or lose its alcohol permit.
On Monday, Jerry Brown Sr. said he plans to attend the memorial service, but the shock of losing his son still “ain’t hit me yet.” He said his son told him he planned to come home to St. Louis in February and the family was looking forward to having a big party to celebrate.
“He was just like me,” Brown Sr. said. “He’s got two sisters and two brothers and he loved all of them. He was a good dude and that was my buddy.”
The elder Brown said he bears no animosity toward Brent, who also was his son’s roommate, and said he does not want the Cowboys to cut him.
“It’s just an accident that happened,” Brown Sr. said. “I’m not mad at him. I want him to be the best because Jerry would want him to be the best.”
When asked what he would remember about his son, Brown Sr. recalled their final phone conversation two weeks ago, when Jerry Jr. expressed his pride over joining the Cowboys.
“He said, ‘Dad, my dream is coming true.’ He was happy.”

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 04:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "Ehhhh.........I hope this isn't true"
In response to Reply # 21

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Dstl1
Charter member
56281 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 06:14 AM

23. "dawg...this is just...damn."
In response to Reply # 22

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Cenario
59225 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 07:21 AM

24. "hearing what browns parents have said about their feelings toward brent"

Make this seem unlikely.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43361 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 10:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "yea but like that woman said he coulda just been in shock"
In response to Reply # 24

I mean you just dont know what will happen in this situation. 2 summers ago I was in a bus going to AC and came up on an accident where a car had flipped and a bunch of kids were dead on the road. One of the survivors was just going crazy helping his friends, another dude was running back and forth frantic in the grass/woods next to the scene of the accident.

Couple that with still maybe being drunk....

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Cenario
59225 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 10:55 AM

28. "yeah i remember you posting about that before"
In response to Reply # 27

I udnerstand that, I jus think that his parents have to be prety sepcial people to speak of brent the way they were if that witnesses account is true. Sure, brent coulda been in shock, but people look for someone to blame...for his parents to speak of brent the way they were if brown was screamin for help and dude didn't help is kinda unbelievable imo

luvlee2003
Charter member
16524 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 12:01 PM

30. "Sounds like shock to me."
Tue Dec-11-12 12:03 PM by luvlee2003

I can't help but to discount her account (that he made a conscious choice not to save his friend) and give him the benefit of the doubt.

They were roommates, best friends and Jerry's family wants Josh at the memorial service with them today. They know him and know he loved their son.

Just a sad situation all around.

It's crazy that they were at Beemers with a bunch of other players. That place gives me the creeps.

www.twitter.com/luvlee2003

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18425 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 01:45 PM

31. "who is this broad and what are her credentials"

will_5198
Charter member
63159 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 04:33 PM

32. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 31
Tue Dec-11-12 04:33 PM by will_5198

her recollection sounds unnatural to me. just pointedly specific at odd parts.

--------

smutsboy
33301 posts
Tue Dec-11-12 05:06 PM

33. "broad? are we in a noir film?"
In response to Reply # 31

will_5198
Charter member
63159 posts
Tue May-14-13 07:49 PM

34. "Thomas Lake has a somber account of Brent and Brown in last week's SI"
In response to Reply # 0

it's their own history up until the accident, interwoven into a timeline of similar alcohol-related deaths in sports (I'd post, but it's behind a pay wall). even as a basic summation, there are some chilling quotes -- I already knew Leonard Little was a bad person, but had never read this quote from the police report after he killed Susan Gutweiler:

"The bitch ran a yellow light and wrecked my fucking $45,000 vehicle. I know my rights. Just take me to the hospital."

Little had a 0.19 BAC that night and was sentenced to a grand total of 90 days in prison for involuntary manslaughter. He ended up playing a decade in the NFL after that.

--------

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Tue May-14-13 09:40 PM

35. "and ended up being charged with another vehicular intoxication charge"
In response to Reply # 34

>Little had a 0.19 BAC that night and was sentenced to a grand
>total of 90 days in prison for involuntary manslaughter. He
>ended up playing a decade in the NFL after that.

later on, i believe.

i still blame hip-hop.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue May-14-13 10:12 PM

37. "yeah....and was found not guilty...he got lucky because he was"
In response to Reply # 35

looking at like 20 years had he been found guilty..

never understood how he only got 90s for the manslaughter

veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Tue May-14-13 10:22 PM

38. "to my recollection they couldn't prove he was over the limit"
In response to Reply # 37

but he admitted to drinking and driving.

legally not guilty, fine, sure. but, the prospect of drinking and driving after having killed a person while drinking and driving seems so morally reprehensible.

i still blame hip-hop.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue May-14-13 10:26 PM

39. "St. Louis has a very conservative element to its social structure"
In response to Reply # 38

I just never understood how he only got 6 months and the lady died...

I know guys that got 25 damnn years for manslaughter....

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6405 posts
Tue May-14-13 10:09 PM

36. "yet Mike Vick and dem dogs..."
In response to Reply # 34

>it's their own history up until the accident, interwoven into
>a timeline of similar alcohol-related deaths in sports (I'd
>post, but it's behind a pay wall). even as a basic summation,
>there are some chilling quotes -- I already knew Leonard
>Little was a bad person, but had never read this quote from
>the police report after he killed Susan Gutweiler:
>
>"The bitch ran a yellow light and wrecked my fucking $45,000
>vehicle. I know my rights. Just take me to the hospital."
>
>Little had a 0.19 BAC that night and was sentenced to a grand
>total of 90 days in prison for involuntary manslaughter. He
>ended up playing a decade in the NFL after that.

not that this quote was needed to affirm the fact that Little's sentence was a fucking slap on the wrist. i'll read it myself, but was he aware that she was dead at the time?

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2088094 Previous topic | Next topic