Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #750166

Subject: "Menus-Plaisirs - Les Troisgros (2023, Frederick Wiseman)" Previous topic | Next topic
Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Fri Mar-15-24 04:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Menus-Plaisirs - Les Troisgros (2023, Frederick Wiseman)"
Fri Mar-15-24 04:51 PM by Sponge

Streaming on PBS until 3/22/24.

Clip-
https://youtu.be/FqdcLwarUXQ?si=zA5miZa9NVgIKWCs

Menus Plaisirs is a film about the Troisgros family and their three restaurants: Troisgros, Le Central and La Colline, located in three neighboring locations in central France. Troisgros, a restaurant founded 93 years ago, has had three Michelin stars for 55 years and in 2020 was awarded a Michelin green star for exemplary sustainable practices. Much of the film takes place at Troisgros. The present chef, CeĢsar Troisgros, is the fourth generation of the family to be in charge at Troisgros. The film shows the day-to-day operations involving the purchase, preparation and service at this restaurant.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
thanks for the reminder
Mar 16th 2024
"these are substantial prices!" (c) Michel
Apr 01st 2024
never seen a Wiseman documentary
Apr 01st 2024
His docs are on Kanopy (free w/ participating libraries)
Apr 02nd 2024
a cook messes up veal brain prep so Michel makes him go
Apr 01st 2024

will_5198
Charter member
63113 posts
Sat Mar-16-24 09:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "thanks for the reminder"
In response to Reply # 0

could not find it in theaters and a four hour documentary is probably best enjoyed at home over split viewings

will be back

--------

will_5198
Charter member
63113 posts
Mon Apr-01-24 11:09 PM

2. ""these are substantial prices!" (c) Michel"
In response to Reply # 0

a three-star chef who charges $310 for a meal can't even believe the price list for the latest Domaine Leroy vintage

and one of the most storied restaurants in the country cannot get more than one bottle of DRC

--------

will_5198
Charter member
63113 posts
Mon Apr-01-24 11:14 PM

3. "never seen a Wiseman documentary"
In response to Reply # 0

not sure if I just missed them in theaters or they have limited availability?

very interesting style: no talking heads, no labels or titles, just straight up hours of documentation vignettes

high contrast to the David Gelb's (Jiro Dreams of Sushi / Chef's Table) emotional orchestration and plot-based style that has dominated food documentaries for decades

--------

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Tue Apr-02-24 09:34 AM

5. "His docs are on Kanopy (free w/ participating libraries)"
In response to Reply # 3

Not sure what the cadence is for his newest film to hit the platform, but 99.9% sure his entire catalog is on there.

Usually, his docs hit the festival circuit, limited theatrical runs, and then hit PBS. (Then Kanopy (since ~2018?) But yea, a major complaint was how hard his films were to access.

Luckily, I could borrow his films from my library in the early/mid 2000s. Catch 'em on PBS. I bought some DVDs from his company to plug in the holes.

I definitely think you'd dig Boxing Gym.

Since 2000, these would be my favorites: In Jackson Heights, Ex Libris, National Gallery, At Berkley, Crazy Horse, Boxing Gym.

Wholeheartedly recommend his work from '67 to '75.

I'm watching Menus-Plaisirs piecemeal lol

will_5198
Charter member
63113 posts
Mon Apr-01-24 11:16 PM

4. "a cook messes up veal brain prep so Michel makes him go "
In response to Reply # 0

find the original recipe in his Escoffier tome

hilarious

--------

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #750166 Previous topic | Next topic