Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #749785

Subject: "True Detective S4 Thread" Previous topic | Next topic
Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15313 posts
Thu Jan-18-24 08:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"True Detective S4 Thread"
Thu Jan-18-24 09:00 AM by Nodima

S1 was a thing, I loved it but I get why it's more of a meme than anything now.

S2 was peak schadenfreude, even more understandably seen as a clown show, though I enjoyed it for the ideas tumbling out of a coupe that it was.

S3 seems like it might actually be the most plainly recommended of them all, despite being the least watched thanks to what went on with S2.

S4, obviously we can't really judge until it's over because what's left of us here are all professionals...but after finally seeing this first episode, I'm shocked how much this sucks. It reminds me of the HBO period between The Wire and Boardwalk Empire with an extremely healthy dose of "bet you haven't seen THIS culture on screen before."

I love what Foster's doing with what she's got, and all the pre-release talk about paying homage to Northern Alaskan cultures sounded extremely ripe for the conceit of this show. But in practice, at least through one episode, it's all the worst parts of the last third of The Outsider compacted by some really heinous editing and callbacks.

Whatever might've went wrong with the second season, it wasn't lack of vision. This first episode felt like a Disney take on the concept. Ram "well, shucks" jokes down the dialogue, pretend to give a shit about marginal people to make their use as props seem more significant, and downplay whatever the hell the central story is supposed to be.

Early response seems overwhelmingly positive, so I'm left wondering if I'm alone in this? Maybe it's just coming relatively soon after Mare of Eastown but this shit is lacking as shit.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm trying to let this cook
Jan 18th 2024
agreeing with all this
Jan 21st 2024
The Outsider is a great comparison
Jan 21st 2024
Had not thought about that series until you just mentioned it!
Jan 23rd 2024
Pretty spot on with The Outsider comparison
Jan 29th 2024
      This sounds pretty dismal
Jan 29th 2024
           I mean, take it for a spin yourself
Jan 29th 2024
                The first time I read this I thought you were being harsh
Feb 06th 2024
Dialogue was a lil' clunky, but the vibe is on point.
Jan 21st 2024
SPOILER-ish
Jan 23rd 2024
      Just reading up on it now.
Jan 23rd 2024
           Another potential Easter egg/tie-in
Jan 23rd 2024
great soundtrack
Jan 24th 2024
Shit got wild.
Jan 29th 2024
Watched ep1 on Friday.
Jan 29th 2024
It's not just y'all
Jan 29th 2024
The writing seemed really poor too but I wasn't sure ..
Jan 29th 2024
yea this shit kinda sucks lol
Feb 05th 2024
4 eps in (only two left?) and every detail is still completely surface
Feb 05th 2024
***shrug*** I like it. I will say that six episodes is too short
Feb 05th 2024
i'm a little behind but i'm enjoying it
Feb 06th 2024
      eh now I'm really losing interest
Feb 06th 2024
Crickets
Feb 19th 2024
I tapped out
Feb 20th 2024
I only know of the plot points
Feb 20th 2024
This shit sucked
Feb 21st 2024
LMAO I do want to finish at some point and I SHOULDN'T be giddy but...
Feb 25th 2024
S4 sucked. so I rewatched S1 to cleanse my palate
Feb 22nd 2024
It's pointless to even mention S1 with the rest of this series
Feb 27th 2024
This show is something else now
Feb 27th 2024

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6576 posts
Thu Jan-18-24 12:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm trying to let this cook "
In response to Reply # 0

but I thought the first episode was pretty bad and Foster was terrible.

This is a series that even in the worst of times relied on strong performances from magnetic leads.

I might like this more if it was divorced from the True Detective brand because other than the name it really has nothing in common with any of the previous seasons of TD and feels like a project they slapped the TD banner on thinking that it'll sell but staggers under the weight of expectation.

It really feels more like one of the attempts at prestige tv that the big networks tried and consistently failed at or an Amazon show or an American remake of a Norwegian crime show.

It's far and away the weakest premier episode the series has had and I think the fact no one was running in here to talk about it speaks volumes.

Even if you liked it it isn't essential

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Sun Jan-21-24 10:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "agreeing with all this"
In response to Reply # 1

it was all over the place -- maybe a record number of subplots introduced in the first episode -- and feels influenced by other shows or movies in a thin way (its own title series, Wind River, etc).

I've divorced True Detective from its own brand since S2 so I wasn't really expecting anything in line with the name. that said, as you mention it feels like "fake prestige television" you watch in the offseason

--------

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Sun Jan-21-24 10:17 PM

2. "The Outsider is a great comparison"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like this will be a similar experience, where I'm entertained enough to keep watching, will end up more or less hating it by the final third and completely forget everything that happened a week after it ends.

also S1 will never be just a meme. one of the greatest, if not greatest, limited series of all-time. will always hold up.

--------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49440 posts
Tue Jan-23-24 11:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Had not thought about that series until you just mentioned it!"
In response to Reply # 2

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

navajo joe
6576 posts
Mon Jan-29-24 09:01 AM

11. "Pretty spot on with The Outsider comparison"
In response to Reply # 2

although to be fair to that show it had one of the strongest first episodes of any show since True Detective and some great performances and a general creepy vibe, that until it becomes silly, is really effective. Sure it falls off a fucking CLIFF by the end but man did it start strong.

This show has none of that. There's really nothing redeeming here and the S1 easter eggs/connections feel increasingly cynical because of how poor everything else is.

How is EVERYONE bad? From Foster and Reis down to a day player that has one or two lines? How do you get a bad John Hawkes peformance?

It's poorly written, it's poorly directed, it's visually dull. We've got fifty leven tropes posing as subplots and not a single one interesting.

Everything about this feels like a cash-in sequel that comes out 15 years after the original film to keep the rights or some bullshit.

So far, I'd actually put this behind even season 2. Although I feel this will ultimately end up being less maligned for the simple fact that everything about it is so forgettable.

Honestly, this would have worked better as a The Killing sequel

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Numba_33
Charter member
19337 posts
Mon Jan-29-24 10:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "This sounds pretty dismal"
In response to Reply # 11

I was planning on binging this when the season ran its course as 1)I don't have Max but I do have illicit means to watch most streaming shows and 2) I'd rather binge this in one sitting rather than having to wait week for week to get resolutions.

In addition, I was planning on giving this season the benefit of the doubt that I wouldn't come close to the level of season one seeing as 1) the prior two seasons have been rancid trash and also more importantly 2) Nic Pizzolatto to my knowledge has nothing to do with this season outside of having Exec. Producer credits attached to the show.

Sounds as if the poor quality coupled with the fact the show is actually referencing characters from the first season will make this a brutal experience.

Out of curiosity, did the second and third seasons reference the third season at all? I don't recall that being the case, but I could be wrong. I was under the impression those were strict anthologies and each of the three seasons existed in their own separate universes.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

navajo joe
6576 posts
Mon Jan-29-24 11:28 AM

14. "I mean, take it for a spin yourself "
In response to Reply # 13

I wouldn't take my word for it. I'm tougher on things than a lot of people.

You might like it if you liked season 1 for no other reason than creepy vibes and hints cosmic horror and if you enjoy getting spun up about easter eggs relating to the show's one good season instead of an actual compelling story. If you can't discern good acting from bad or good writing from bad or good cinematography or really any of the reasons why the first season works like it does then, sure it's a tv show with a famous film actor in the lead and an ominous score trying to solve a weird crime that's probably part of some vast conspiracy and once in a while something creepy happens. If that's all you need then, this has that stuff.

Personally, I honestly can't imagine trying to binge this because I can barely make it through an hour at a time and this week I started just skipping through subplots. I can't imagine you enjoying this if you think Season 3 was bad. That's the only other season outside of 1 I'd be remotely interested in revisiting and think has a lot going for it. This, in my mind, is inferior on every level.

What's interesting is despite the explicit ties to Season 1 this show feels the least related to that season and the furthest from the TD brand and the HBO brand of any of them. I in no way believe this exists in the same universe as season 1 at all. It's certainly in a different universe in terms of quality from every other season.

makaveli
Charter member
16309 posts
Tue Feb-06-24 11:22 PM

22. "The first time I read this I thought you were being harsh "
In response to Reply # 14

I'm all caught up and now I understand.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23884 posts
Sun Jan-21-24 10:40 PM

4. "Dialogue was a lil' clunky, but the vibe is on point."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know if people hear that they're writing for an HBO show and feel like they gotta stuff the cussing in, but that's what this felt like. Lots of uncomfortable "motherfuckers". The sex scene was weird, too, because why are you ass naked making this dude shoot your club up, but kept on your sports bra?

Outside of those nitpicks, I'm enjoying it. I knew some shit was up with "Travis" being out there in the cold with minimal clothing and no shoes.

I just watched S1 a few months ago, so I was kinda primed to receive this for whatever it's trying to do.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Tue Jan-23-24 09:29 AM

5. "SPOILER-ish"
In response to Reply # 4

Everyone realizes Travis is McConaughey's dad, right?

JFrost1117
23884 posts
Tue Jan-23-24 10:50 AM

6. "Just reading up on it now."
In response to Reply # 5

That’s crazy. I’ve never *needed* the seasons to be connected, but that’s a cool lil callback that doesn’t bash you over the head with obviousness.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44722 posts
Tue Jan-23-24 05:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Another potential Easter egg/tie-in"
In response to Reply # 6

They mention that the Tsalal station is being bankrolled by Tuttle United. Tuttle was the name of the Reverend in Season 1, father at least one of the killers in Season 1. It can't be a coincidence.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2232 posts
Wed Jan-24-24 10:24 PM

9. "great soundtrack "
In response to Reply # 0

that state of the art song kicked in perfectly. not my favorite jodieeee performance so far but she can do no wrong in my eyes so i’s in.

JFrost1117
23884 posts
Mon Jan-29-24 03:41 AM

10. "Shit got wild."
In response to Reply # 0

Full-on horror, which was enjoyable.

On another note, I thought the companion podcast would be as good as the “Chernobyl” one but they didn’t get past the first third of this episode.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24431 posts
Mon Jan-29-24 10:24 AM

12. "Watched ep1 on Friday."
In response to Reply # 0

Is it just me/my wife or is most of the acting abhorrent ?

I never cared for Jodie Foster one way or the other but holy hell she is not even minimally believable.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

navajo joe
6576 posts
Mon Jan-29-24 11:30 AM

15. "It's not just y'all"
In response to Reply # 12

The performances top to bottom are bad.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24431 posts
Mon Jan-29-24 01:43 PM

16. "The writing seemed really poor too but I wasn't sure .."
In response to Reply # 15

... if I felt that way just cuz the acting was so bad or if we're really watching a season of front to back horrific television. Haha.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2232 posts
Mon Feb-05-24 11:00 PM

19. "yea this shit kinda sucks lol"
In response to Reply # 12

first ep was cool but don’t really have any interest in finishing the season

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Mon Feb-05-24 01:55 PM

17. "4 eps in (only two left?) and every detail is still completely surface"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-05-24 01:59 PM by Deebot

level. This is amateur hour. Every character feels like a character instead of a person. Super bland relationships and conflicts.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44722 posts
Mon Feb-05-24 02:54 PM

18. "***shrug*** I like it. I will say that six episodes is too short"
In response to Reply # 0

It really seems like they need 8 episodes to flesh everything out and resolve what they've put in motion.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

makaveli
Charter member
16309 posts
Tue Feb-06-24 10:51 AM

20. "i'm a little behind but i'm enjoying it"
In response to Reply # 18

maybe it's not great but i don't hate it as much as others in this thread.

makaveli
Charter member
16309 posts
Tue Feb-06-24 10:23 PM

21. "eh now I'm really losing interest"
In response to Reply # 20

Just finished episode 3.

I did not like that last scene.

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Mon Feb-19-24 06:51 PM

23. "Crickets"
In response to Reply # 0

Deservedly so. Can’t think of anything about this season I enjoyed.

navajo joe
6576 posts
Tue Feb-20-24 05:41 AM

24. "I tapped out"
In response to Reply # 23

I stopped watching a couple of episodes back. Hope it got better.

Numba_33
Charter member
19337 posts
Tue Feb-20-24 10:39 AM

25. "I only know of the plot points"
In response to Reply # 23

based on watching Youtube videos discussing the ending, so I have no clue on how terrible the acting was, but based on the divergence in terms of this season seemingly being more fantasy and horror driven, it appears the show would have been better served not trying to tie this season to the first season. The connections I saw from the Youtube breakdown videos seem pretty ham-fisted and also seem to hurt this season since it appears this last season was way way worse compared to the first season. Anything that would lessen the need to compare this season to the first one would seem to serve this show better.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66750 posts
Wed Feb-21-24 05:26 PM

26. "This shit sucked"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15313 posts
Sun Feb-25-24 01:55 PM

28. "LMAO I do want to finish at some point and I SHOULDN'T be giddy but..."
In response to Reply # 26

As little as I post anymore I randomly find myself in my free time worrying I came in too hot with this one and that when I finally re-opened this thread it'd be a bit of a roast...but it's the show getting roasted, not me!

At this point, my big worry is that I genuinely enjoyed how stunningly bad the first episode was in a schadenfreude way, but the rest of the show won't be able to recapture that.

Season 2 held the line because the cast was stacked (and I think at least Farrell and Vaughn were in on the joke, spiritually if nothing else) but I have a hard time imagining this one has that kind of juice. The first episode didn't seem to realize how silly it was at all.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2277 posts
Thu Feb-22-24 12:44 PM

27. "S4 sucked. so I rewatched S1 to cleanse my palate"
In response to Reply # 0

S1 was so freaking good. the show declined hard after that.

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

3xKrazy
Charter member
21585 posts
Tue Feb-27-24 10:06 AM

29. "It's pointless to even mention S1 with the rest of this series"
In response to Reply # 27

>S1 was so freaking good. the show declined hard after that.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Tue Feb-27-24 10:19 PM

30. "This show is something else now"
In response to Reply # 0

with “True Detective” attached to it. Worst writing I’ve ever experienced in a television show.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #749785 Previous topic | Next topic