Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748950

Subject: "Saltburn (Emerald Fennell, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Wed Aug-30-23 12:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Saltburn (Emerald Fennell, 2023)"

Loved Promising Young Woman. Hope this shit is banger too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNYepvUtYGA

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
promising young woman was one of my favorite movies
Aug 30th 2023
I loved this.
Sep 22nd 2023
Still loved it on a rewatch
Nov 16th 2023
I was disgusted by the end
Nov 24th 2023
Pretty big disappointment for me, personally. (very mild spoilers)
Nov 27th 2023
OK the incoherence stopped from enjoying this as much (spoilers)
Jan 09th 2024
Keoghan was good but couldn't save this absolute farce
Jan 13th 2024

Monojuevos
Member since Jul 12th 2007
171 posts
Wed Aug-30-23 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "promising young woman was one of my favorite movies"
In response to Reply # 0

of the past few years.

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Sep-22-23 11:36 AM

2. "I loved this."
In response to Reply # 0

Saw this shit last night.

This is for sickos only. If you fucked with PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN, you'll probably fuck with this.

The trailer gives away nothing.

It got to a certain point in the movie where I had no idea what was gonna happen every 15 to 20 minutes. That was so exciting and refreshing to experience. And once it hit that point, you literally had no idea what that character was gonna do next.

Absolutely funny how MGM is doing the same type of roll out for this as they did for BONES AND ALL. At the same exact time. Like this should be dropping either now or somewhere in October. The Thanksgiving (limited) release date is baffling.

Be warned. This shit has some very transgressive moments.

Shout out to MGM for the free burgers, lobster rolls and wine afterwards. And for the free sparkling water, popcorn, and candy during the movie.
Hilarious how someone almost got sick watching this while eating their snacks.

Shout out to all my sickos.

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Nov-16-23 10:30 AM

3. "Still loved it on a rewatch"
In response to Reply # 2

Shout out to Amazon for the screener link

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10121 posts
Fri Nov-24-23 06:18 PM

4. "I was disgusted by the end"
In response to Reply # 0

in a good bad way. top favorite movies for this year. lot of good movies coming out before the year is up.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Mon Nov-27-23 01:11 AM

5. "Pretty big disappointment for me, personally. (very mild spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-27-23 01:51 AM by Frank Longo

Fine to start, even if it really takes its time going exactly where we know it will go-- not sure we needed half an hour (or whatever it was) at Oxford. Then we get to all the stuff at Saltburn, where the filmmaker almost immediately reveals her hand about Keoghan's intentions, removing any meaningful suspense (despite the fact that the movie is edited like a mystery when bad things happen-- as if we don't immediately know who's behind them!). The only suspense left is "what freaky thing will Keoghan do next?" which doesn't really do anything to advance the story or our understanding of these characters-- to me, it all felt a little too "look how shocking we are!"

So we then slowly watch all that unfold until the third act, which is when we get a lot of self-satisfied Characters Telling Characters Who They Are And How The World Works, and we get a lot of Acting With a Capital A, and any thin sliver of character believability goes out the window, along with the idea that we might be building to a coherent thesis or anything other than a "so what?"

Which, y'know, I think would all generally be fine if the movie was more fun. I've certainly enjoyed movies based solely on them containing multiple handfuls of banger scenes. And if you think watching Keoghan do his bad guy stuff for two hours is a hoot, then you'll probably get a kick out of this. I just didn't personally think it was nearly fun enough. And the film's heavy implication that rich people should be on the lookout for predatory scheming middle class people who will do terrible things to get their money is... not a savory moral, especially given Fennell's own wealthy upbringing, lol.

I think Fennell's got a good eye, I think there are a couple of rather good performances here (Elordi and Grant, in particular), and although it overstays its welcome imo, I think there are stretches that deliver decent entertainment. I just didn't think it added up to anything at all, trying to be a lot of things at once and not really working at any of them. Swing and a miss imo.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Tue Jan-09-24 12:03 PM

6. "OK the incoherence stopped from enjoying this as much (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 5

I was thrown off from this story because it really had some basic storytelling problems. Maybe I am being too technical (though you are seem to having the same issue), but it's not a mystery because we know who is behind what's going on, and the plot twist of him doing it not because he was in love with dude but rather he hated them and just wanted the crib doesn't make a lot of what he does make sense.

Like did he know about Saltburn before he set up meeting dude. Did he change his mind and develop the plan at some point at his stay, if he hated dude, why was he humping his grave?

I think it could have been a cool plot twist if the idea is he wasn't in love with dude but was in love with his stuff (imagine a flashback where it turns out he was checking out the dudes stuff and not him), but it really didn't operate like that was the premise from start to finish.

I am sure they hate the talented Mr. Ripley comparisons but at least they made a key distinction in making the rich people pretty awful so you kind of rooted for Matt Damon and felt like he was kinda forced into each killing despite him not wanting to do it.

This is a different movie but if we aren't rooting for him then what are we supposed to be doing while watching it?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Sat Jan-13-24 07:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Keoghan was good but couldn't save this absolute farce"
In response to Reply # 0

This NYT review sums up my feeling well: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/16/movies/saltburn-review.html

Only good thing this movie did was evoke a fun conversation between my wife and I about how ridiculously trash it was.

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748950 Previous topic | Next topic