Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748863

Subject: "Special Ops: Lioness (Sheridan, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6574 posts
Wed Aug-16-23 12:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Special Ops: Lioness (Sheridan, 2023)"
Wed Aug-16-23 12:32 PM by navajo joe

Sicario for the OANN set.

It's sleek and well-crafted rightwing fan-fiction. It's on some real ra-ra operator shit that guys who drive F-150s and Michael Bay would edge to. It's also very watchable in large part due to solid direction from folks like Hillcoat and others and the quality of the cast esp. Saldana and that it moves fast enough and is stupid enough that you just have to sit back and say "fuck it." or as characters would say in this show "fucking fuck it." Sheridan uses "fuck" in between each word in dialogue like other people use spaces.

It's also clear they poured money into this thing. The action, while generally brief is well-done and mirrors some of the tension/release from the first Sicario film. I hope other major franchise trying to do spy/special ops shit take notes from this in terms of scope/scale and execution.

Sheridan returns to his Soldaldo boogeyman of "cartels are trafficking mooslim terrorists across the borders" again. It further cements my theory that Sheridan is having the career Nic Pizzolatto would have had had season 2 of True Detective not eaten shit and derailed his career.

They're also similar in the sense that you can tell just how far the quality can fall off when left to their own devices or not paired with creative talent that can withstand their baser instincts and overcome their artistic inadequacies.

Unless this is some anthology show that I am unaware of, the fact that they had to put "Special Ops:" in front of Lioness tells you just what level of intelligence of the target audience.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sheridan know how to make some watchable ass TV
Aug 16th 2023
I tapped out of Tulsa King early
Aug 16th 2023
yeah 1883 blows everything he's done out of the water
Aug 16th 2023
Yeah, tone was a big problem w/ Tulsa King
Aug 16th 2023
Can I just hop into 1883?
Aug 20th 2023
      yes
Aug 20th 2023
      thanks!
Aug 21st 2023
      Yes!!!!!
Aug 21st 2023
           thanks!
Aug 21st 2023
this shit goes hard
Sep 08th 2023
I saw articles saying the 1st ep did record numbers for Pararmount+
Sep 09th 2023
His next series is about Bass Reeves
Sep 09th 2023
1883 gives me hope that he will rock Bass Reeves.
Sep 11th 2023
Yeah this is one I have been tracking
Sep 11th 2023
fucking loved it.
Sep 19th 2023

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Wed Aug-16-23 12:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Sheridan know how to make some watchable ass TV"
In response to Reply # 0

1883 still far and away the best of his current run but all his stuff is just solid ass tv

<--- Big Baller World Order

navajo joe
6574 posts
Wed Aug-16-23 01:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I tapped out of Tulsa King early "
In response to Reply # 1

The black driver shit took me out as soon as I came through the door. It might have gotten better.

I haven't watched any of the Yellowstone stuff but have been intrigued with 1883 and 1923. I'm looking forward to the Bass Reeves joint

The Sheridan-Industrial Complex is really something else.

I just wish he wasn't such a fucking dick. That Wind River shit he tried to pull was so fucking flagarant and his writer's strike shit really showed his colors.

But you're right he's got a lane and it's HIS lane.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Wed Aug-16-23 02:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "yeah 1883 blows everything he's done out of the water "
In response to Reply # 1

I was hoping 1923 was gonna bring back that magic, but it's the most frustrating show I've ever seen ever, but I'm also fully captured for the next season because I feel so invested.

I do wish Tulsa King was even a little bit as miserable and dark as 1923, but it's just goofy.

Maybe one and done is the best formula for Sheridan but I'm only basing that on 1883, even the first season of Yellowstone was spent just heaping misery on its characters. Haven't tried Lionness but I'll give it a look

navajo joe
6574 posts
Wed Aug-16-23 03:23 PM

4. "Yeah, tone was a big problem w/ Tulsa King"
In response to Reply # 3

I'd have been happier w/ Justified-level levity/tone but you're right, it felt goofy.

navajo joe
6574 posts
Sun Aug-20-23 04:59 PM

5. "Can I just hop into 1883?"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm not trying to watch Original Recipe Yellowstone

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Sun Aug-20-23 07:09 PM

6. "yes"
In response to Reply # 5

Its related but there's really nothing you need to know

navajo joe
6574 posts
Mon Aug-21-23 08:15 AM

8. "thanks!"
In response to Reply # 6

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Mon Aug-21-23 08:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Yes!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Thats what I did

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

navajo joe
6574 posts
Mon Aug-21-23 08:15 AM

9. "thanks!"
In response to Reply # 7

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Fri Sep-08-23 11:52 PM

10. "this shit goes hard"
In response to Reply # 0

Feels like Paramount+ bungled the release of this cuz I don't hear anyone talking about what is one of the most entertaining and well-made shows I've seen in a long ass time. It's like if a CBS drama had an unlimited budget and the best actors available.

navajo joe
6574 posts
Sat Sep-09-23 04:57 AM

11. "I saw articles saying the 1st ep did record numbers for Pararmount+"
In response to Reply # 10

Not sure if those numbers held throughout the course of the run.

I hope they get another season. But I think Paramount didn't know exactly what to do which is why the DTV-esque "Special Ops:" was added to the title.

I will say the finale felt rushed and just ended without much resolution for one of the key characters. They could have used another episode or a 10 episode season.

Also, the team never really faced any real opposition so while they is some masterful tension building in throughout the season leading up to any conflict it's over almost instantly.

But overall I really enjoy it. This is my CSI/NCIS/SWAT show

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5629 posts
Sat Sep-09-23 07:04 PM

12. "His next series is about Bass Reeves"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehkbn36ohCY

His stuff lately, outside of the 1800 series, has been pretty bad. But i'll give him props for giving me my Bass Reeves mini series i've always dreamed of.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Mon Sep-11-23 08:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "1883 gives me hope that he will rock Bass Reeves."
In response to Reply # 12

I cant wait

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

navajo joe
6574 posts
Mon Sep-11-23 08:11 AM

14. "Yeah this is one I have been tracking "
In response to Reply # 12

Hoping it’ll be what it should

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Tue Sep-19-23 06:00 PM

15. "fucking loved it. "
In response to Reply # 0

Id say your description of it was pretty dead on.

little things. i love how they flipped the nagging wife trope, instead of a wife with a bag of groceries in the kitchen, holding the phone to her ear with her shoulder, asking when are you gonna come home, i'm raising these kids all alone, and when he comes home briefly and after they fuck, she goes through the whole spiel again... they turned that character into a brain surgeon husband, who is partially resentful and nagging but also understanding.

they still have the pissed off rebellious kid tho... i mean i really wonder if there's a requirement at this point for shows like this to include an asshole teenage daughter.

i do agree that the ending felt rushed. kinda walked away like, well that was easy.

sold entry to the sheridanverse here though

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748863 Previous topic | Next topic